REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Fashion & Shopping

Fashion & Shopping Blackmarkers. A Filtered Selection of Clothing, Footwear and Accessories.
Gotta stay fresh! Latest fashion trends, new clothing lines, mega sales events, and awesome deals..

Old 11-29-2019, 11:11 AM   #3676
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I think it’s the stainless steel models that are hard to fine.
I think they have lots of precious metal models
Advertisement
kkttsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:56 AM   #3677
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
Went to see the downtown Rolex AD for shits and giggles on my lunch break. That myth that there isn’t any Daytona’s or subs available is complete bullshit. They had 3 Daytona’s and 2 subs available. Not being a Rolex guy I wasn’t too too keen but I sort of want the pearl dial Daytona.
You're joking right? PM and two tone watches have always been in good supply. often you need to purchase a PM piece to get access to the SS piece.
Old 11-29-2019, 12:04 PM   #3678

Thanked 1,726 Times in 302 Posts
They put on display the two-tone and solid gold pieces because those are harder to move and there's less demand for those. All the stainless steel models are in the vault.

PS. I've built a pretty great relationship with an AD here who offers some stainless steel models from time to time. Latest one I've been offered is an Air King in case anyone is interested.
tomatogunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 12:26 PM   #3679
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,663 Times in 3,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
You're joking right? PM and two tone watches have always been in good supply. often you need to purchase a PM piece to get access to the SS piece.
do they hold their value similar to steel ? the AD girl told me i can get a steel sub in 1 month because my wife has a ladies datejust w/ diamonds.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 12:51 PM   #3680

Quote:
do they hold their value similar to steel ? the AD girl told me i can get a steel sub in 1 month because my wife has a ladies datejust w/ diamonds.
they don't. all those watches sell for less than msrp even in the grey market.

I assume you went to Alberni? How the ADs work is they like to bundle things.

eg. if you bought a display model, let's say a datejust w/diamonds, you've amassed enough "credits" in your profile to get a stainless steel sports model. The SS steel model you can get depends on the value of the watch you've previously purchased. That ladies Datejust is worth 15-16k? You could probably get a SS sub or a Root Beer (a Root Beer in Alberni just requires one to have purchased at least 10k worth of watches). Once they get you the desired stainless steel piece, your "credits" would have been used and you'll have to start again from zero. And no, the value of the stainless steel sports watch you purchase does not count towards your customer profile "credits" . Watches that count towards your profile are datejusts (with the exception of 41mm), two-tone or solid gold pieces (depends on model), day-date models, cellini, or other precious metal watches.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2019, 05:27 PM   #3681
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Went to see the downtown Rolex AD for shits and giggles on my lunch break. That myth that there isn’t any Daytona’s or subs available is complete bullshit. They had 3 Daytona’s and 2 subs available. Not being a Rolex guy I wasn’t too too keen but I sort of want the pearl dial Daytona.

whats the retail on one of those?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 06:03 PM   #3682

The pearl dial daytona w/ diamonds was 58k. The 2 tone gold sub was 15k
Old 11-29-2019, 09:43 PM   #3683
Banned By Establishment

How much is that Platona?

Also isn't the retail price of the white gold mother of pearl Daytona $48.5k and after tax $54.3k ? Or did the AD add a markup to it?

Last edited by DJ Milk; 11-29-2019 at 09:50 PM.
DJ Milk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:16 AM   #3684
nuggets mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Milk View Post
How much is that Platona?
I believe the platona is ballpark around $100k, not sure of the exact amount
Old 12-09-2019, 10:19 AM   #3685
nuggets mod

Quote:
I don't believe any Precious Metal or two tone rolex holds value as well as steel, and most PM watches don't hold value at all.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:09 AM   #3686

I was reading online the Rolex bubble is starting to burst. Looks like prices on chrono24 is dropping for steel and the ADs are getting more in stock. I went to monte Christo jewellers in Oakridge and he’s able to get a steel datejust 41 black dial and jubilee within a week or two apparently.... maybe a good idea ?

I guess everyone who’s longed for one already had it.

P.s. they have this in stock right now.

Last edited by Badhobz; 12-12-2019 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:57 AM   #3687
nuggets mod

I was oakridge a few weeks ago and the demand for professional steel still seems to be off the charts. ie. they won't even put your name on a list for a daytona/sky dweller.
nice to see that ss datejusts are at least available. but i think it'll be a while before any bubble burst in the current economy
Old 12-12-2019, 11:38 AM   #3688

DJs are fairly common and easy to get. It's the blue 41mm DJ with fluted bezel/jubilee that's more in demand.

With Montecristo, money talks. I bet you if you buy 3-5k worth of jewelry there, a less-popular sports/GMT model would "show up" with your name on it. But if you want a Daytona, you'd have to buy a Day-Date, jewelry, or high horology piece totaling in the 70k+ range and a (black) Daytona will magically appear the next day. Spend a lil' more (90k+), and you get a Panda

Last edited by tomatogunk; 12-12-2019 at 11:45 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-12-2019, 02:21 PM   #3689
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
^what about a SS submariner?
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:07 PM   #3690

Well the girl at the Rolex downtown said I can get a steel submariner if I bought a lady's datejust. Too bad I bought my wife's lady's datejust at Oakridge. ��
Old 12-13-2019, 05:49 AM   #3691
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,171 Times in 2,404 Posts
Big sale on watches at The Bay for anybody wanting a new Seiko 5, cocktail time, Hamilton, Longines, etc. Lowest I've seen on a few models.

https://www.thebay.com/Longines/30-t...thqe/Ne-4zteyp
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-13-2019, 03:36 PM   #3692

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Big sale on watches at The Bay for anybody wanting a new Seiko 5, cocktail time, Hamilton, Longines, etc. Lowest I've seen on a few models.

https://www.thebay.com/Longines/30-t...thqe/Ne-4zteyp
Thanks man.

Got the Hamilton khaki scuba for a traveling watch.
They had the ice blue cocktail time for 300$ it was a good deal.
kkttsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 11:10 AM   #3693
nuggets mod

probably going to post my 116520 and 14060M in the new year if anyone is interested..
Old 12-18-2019, 11:26 AM   #3694
Banned By Establishment

Is the 116520 a black dial one?
Old 12-18-2019, 01:21 PM   #3695
nuggets mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Milk View Post
Is the 116520 a black dial one?
yup. 2009, V serial, black dial, box, no papers
Old 12-18-2019, 05:17 PM   #3696
Old School RS

Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatogunk View Post
With Montecristo, money talks. I bet you if you buy 3-5k worth of jewelry there, a less-popular sports/GMT model would "show up" with your name on it. But if you want a Daytona, you'd have to buy a Day-Date, jewelry, or high horology piece totaling in the 70k+ range and a (black) Daytona will magically appear the next day. Spend a lil' more (90k+), and you get a Panda
I can't help but think that these days are (slowly) coming to an end for Rolex. My business partner wanted a Seadweller 43 and after going around and around with the various shops in town, finally said to hell with it and went out and bought an Omega Planet Ocean and a Panerai in one shot for about the same price, both at a relatively decent discount over MSRP. These days I think it doesn't take nearly what it used to buy a stainless steel Sub for example - maybe can't get one at MSRP from the dealer, but can buy one on the secondary market for MSRP now in new condition at months old.

I just really get the sense it's slowing, which doesn't mean done, but slowing... I'd personally be a little nervous going out and spending over MSRP on a new Rolex as I think that's going to turn out to be a poor investment sooner rather than later.

But that's just me and I kinda think most Rolexes are underwhelming looking anyways so what do I know haha

-Mark
Old 12-18-2019, 05:55 PM   #3697
Old School RS

Also, to actually contribute something to this thread instead of just griping about Rolex pricing, I have a new arrival to the stable, a Nomos Orion 38mm. I wanted a classy and very traditional dress watch to wear for formal occasions as I am often wearing a suit for work and to functions. It's very traditionally sized at 38mm diameter but wears reasonably large since the bezel is very narrow and I love how thin it is at around 10mm. Mechanical/hand wind feels very old school which I enjoy.

I got a great deal on Black Friday through Chronext (which btw was a super hassle free process, I was quite pleased and will buy from them again) and pulled the trigger.

I have just ordered a custom brown leather strap - I love the watch face but think the watch overall is really let down by the plain strap, it just makes it underwhelming. I ordered a cool strap and will post a photo when it's here and on as I suspect it is going to absolutely transform this look!

Photos stolen from: https://wornandwound.com/review/nomo...-datum-review/

-Mark
Old 12-18-2019, 09:09 PM   #3698

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
probably going to post my 116520 and 14060M in the new year if anyone is interested..
is your M a 2-liner or 4?
Old 12-18-2019, 09:31 PM   #3699
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
Nice to see a Nomos owner on here!

I've got a Metro Datum and Ahoi Datum. Love them both. Highly underrated and underappreciated. I've been on the lookout for an Orion 38mm myself!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 07:14 AM   #3700
Old School RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Nice to see a Nomos owner on here!

I've got a Metro Datum and Ahoi Datum. Love them both. Highly underrated and underappreciated. I've been on the lookout for an Orion 38mm myself!
I saw one at the store in Bentall, the guy was really nice and I wanted to buy there, but I coudn't quite get into the watch at $3k + tax = $3360.

Exact same watch from Chronext on Black Friday was $2k + duty + tax = $2340.

Chronext also delivers it to Vancouver in person and no payment is needed until you see the watch, verify it has a dealer stamp, and then pay by credit card in person.

Based on being more comfortable with that then ordering somewhere online and hoping it's legit when it shows, I pulled the trigger.

Very pleased but I am super excited about what the new strap will do.

-Mark