REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Fashion & Shopping

Fashion & Shopping Blackmarkers. A Filtered Selection of Clothing, Footwear and Accessories.
Gotta stay fresh! Latest fashion trends, new clothing lines, mega sales events, and awesome deals..

Old 01-08-2019, 12:25 PM   #3476
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 302 Posts
Watchrecon.com is another good aggregator for different watch forums' buy & sell section online

Anyone know any places locally where they sell second hand watches, vintage or older timepieces? I'm in the market for an Explorer but not sure if I should go with the the 36mm 114270 or 14270 vs the more modern 39mm 214270. Hoping I could try the 36mm on my wrist first and see how it feels on the wrist before pulling the trigger
Advertisement

Last edited by tomatogunk; 01-08-2019 at 12:33 PM.
tomatogunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:44 PM   #3477
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

^
I rung in the new year with my first luxury watch and I couldn't be more happy with my purchase. I was only looking at Rolex and my range was an Explorer, OP 36, OP 39, or DJ 36. I eventually went with the Datejust 36 blue dial with roman numerals because of the iconic look, the cyclops, the dail, and the sporty bracelet. My wrist is about ~6.75" (small to average) and 36 mm fits like a glove. I did try on the DJ41 (which is only about 39.5mm) and it was way too big on my wrist. I also tried on the Explorer but it didn't speak to me like the DJ 36. The 39mm Explorer was basically the same price as a DJ36.

chipmunk604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-09-2019, 06:09 PM   #3478
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
I'm looking for 2 - 3 watches to daily. Where should I even begin? Seems like Seiko is everyone's suggestion for a good brand for price.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:43 PM   #3479

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
I'm looking for 2 - 3 watches to daily. Where should I even begin? Seems like Seiko is everyone's suggestion for a good brand for price.
Depends on your lifestyle, type of actives you do, how you like to dress up, wrist size, and your budget.

Side note: If you are interested, I am offloading my Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical Watch that I picked up late December to make room for my newest acquisition. IMO the Hamilton fits the bill of an everyday watch with a great heritage behind the brand and the watch itself. Good size, and if you need to dress it up, a quick leather strap change is all you need.

My newest acquisition:

A birth year (1991) tritium dial Rolex Explorer 1 ref 14270. Funny how I thought the Explorer was boring when I first got into watches but it grew on me. I see myself wearing this more over my no-date Sub because it's so classy, subtle and not in-your-face like the Submariner.

Last edited by tomatogunk; 01-10-2019 at 10:54 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2019, 08:46 AM   #3480
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatogunk View Post
My newest acquisition:

A birth year (1991) tritium dial Rolex Explorer 1 ref 14270. Funny how I thought the Explorer was boring when I first got into watches but it grew on me. I see myself wearing this more over my no-date Sub because it's so classy, subtle and not in-your-face like the Submariner.

[im]https://i.imgur.com/aYXcyue.jpg[/img]

Took all but 3 days to acquire the Explorer? lol. Where did you end up picking it up? Also looking for a tritium dial 14270 as my next purchase as well.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:49 AM   #3481

I make decisions most of the time impulsively lol. Went to Oakridge to try the Tudor BB36 to see if I liked the size, I did, and had my friend from the US who was selling the watch overnight it to Blaine

Came across this Tritium dial Explorer 1 in my search in case you were interested. Couldn't find much info about the "frozen" dial but my guess it's like the Submariners with the "spider" dial
Old 01-11-2019, 12:38 PM   #3482
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,509 Times in 4,311 Posts
Buy now. Regret later.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:43 PM   #3483
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmunk604 View Post
^
I rung in the new year with my first luxury watch and I couldn't be more happy with my purchase. I was only looking at Rolex and my range was an Explorer, OP 36, OP 39, or DJ 36. I eventually went with the Datejust 36 blue dial with roman numerals because of the iconic look, the cyclops, the dail, and the sporty bracelet. My wrist is about ~6.75" (small to average) and 36 mm fits like a glove. I did try on the DJ41 (which is only about 39.5mm) and it was way too big on my wrist. I also tried on the Explorer but it didn't speak to me like the DJ 36. The 39mm Explorer was basically the same price as a DJ36.

do you have to adjust the date every month>
or is the watch smart enough to do it
Last edited by sexyaccord on 69-69-6969 at 69:69 PM
sexyaccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:36 PM   #3484
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

^ He'd have to adjust every other month.

Annual Calendars require adjustments on February.
Perpetual Calendars don't need adjustments in your lifetime :P
Old 01-12-2019, 01:29 AM   #3485
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
I make decisions most of the time impulsively lol. Went to Oakridge to try the Tudor BB36 to see if I liked the size, I did, and had my friend from the US who was selling the watch overnight it to Blaine

Came across this Tritium dial Explorer 1 in my search in case you were interested. Couldn't find much info about the "frozen" dial but my guess it's like the Submariners with the "spider" dial
Congrats on a beautiful piece! How much was duty? 12% of purchase price? I also considered buying from US Grey market and shipping it to Blaine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexyaccord View Post
do you have to adjust the date every month>
or is the watch smart enough to do it
Like PuYang said, I'll probably have to adjust every other month. The watch wouldn't know which month it is (Same with any other watch with date I guess?) The cool thing is that it switches to the next day around midnight as opposed to slowing switching over a period of 4 hours.
chipmunk604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:53 AM   #3486

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmunk604 View Post
Congrats on a beautiful piece! How much was duty? 12% of purchase price? I also considered buying from US Grey market and shipping it to Blaine.
Yep, about 12% of the declared purchase price
Old 01-14-2019, 11:29 AM   #3487
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
Could you ship the empty box back home and wear the watch across the border?
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:39 PM   #3488
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,346 Times in 973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestTea View Post
Could you ship the empty box back home and wear the watch across the border?
of course you can, until you get caught.
I know a lot of people do this, from Hong Kong, Singapore, US etc. The only risk you have is when you get caught (obviously) and the other one is the risk of wearing it on vacation and coming back into the country.

They can technically back tax you; that's what I've heard so you gotta be cautious. (they catch you with a new watch 2 yrs down the road, you say it was old, they take your watch in their possession, until you can provide legal documentation / proof). In my case, I did and had to got it back.

Unless there's savings of 20% or more, (which currency plays a big role), i stay local.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2019, 05:04 PM   #3489
RS Veteran

I think it's really a matter of acceptable risk you are willing to bear. I've come across people who did this for years, but it caught up to them. The consequences were not worth it.

Unless it's something rare/unique that I can't get on the local market, I stay local. Sometimes, the overall savings is minimal, it isn't even worth it. I stay away from watches that are purchased overseas, even if it comes with a receipt.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 01-14-2019, 07:39 PM   #3490

Curious, are these just random instances where the officer sees your watch, pulls you over to the side and starts questioning you about them?
Old 01-15-2019, 09:56 AM   #3491
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Curious, are these just random instances where the officer sees your watch, pulls you over to the side and starts questioning you about them?
Probably only when you're wearing something super flashy or pricey, like an AP.
For the sake of it and in saving my sanity, I just take the manufacturer's wallet size credit card with me on trips or take a pic of the warranty booklet with the serial numbers.... just in case.
hi-revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:26 AM   #3492
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuYang View Post
Perpetual Calendars don't need adjustments in your lifetime :P
How much of a pain is it to set a perpetual calendar if it runs out of its power reserve?
All my watches are currently no-date because i got tired of setting the date each time.. haha
Old 01-15-2019, 01:33 PM   #3493
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
How much of a pain is it to set a perpetual calendar if it runs out of its power reserve?
All my watches are currently no-date because i got tired of setting the date each time.. haha
Not sure how annoying its be to reset a perpetual calendar. But I have the watch in the link- which has date/day/month and moon phase.. let me tell u....if I dknt wear this watch for a couple of weeks, it's definitely a pain to set.
I've never actually set the moon phase as I dont plan on evolving into a werewolf. Lol

https://watch-insider.com/news/cool-...mited-edition/
hi-revs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2019, 02:27 PM   #3494
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
Any recommendations for websites to buy a Nato strap?
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:37 PM   #3495

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
Perpetual Calendars are probably the only watches people recommend using a watch winder for. Most have the dimple pushers on the side, and pushing it forward a few days to a week isn't THAT bad... but months? No thanks lol.

Also, make sure not to push too far ahead by accident, or you'll have to let it wind down to catch up.

And WORST case scenarios, you'd have to send it back to the manufacturer to open the watch up to change the dates. I've heard horror stories of people buying an old perpetual calendar off ebay or something, and the watch is a decade or 2 behind. Have fun setting that to today's date lol.

I think there are a handfull of perpetual calendars out there that can be set forward and backward... which is something I think all perpetuals should do!
Old 01-16-2019, 10:47 AM   #3496
nuggets mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuYang View Post
Perpetual Calendars are probably the only watches people recommend using a watch winder for. Most have the dimple pushers on the side, and pushing it forward a few days to a week isn't THAT bad... but months? No thanks lol.

Also, make sure not to push too far ahead by accident, or you'll have to let it wind down to catch up.

And WORST case scenarios, you'd have to send it back to the manufacturer to open the watch up to change the dates. I've heard horror stories of people buying an old perpetual calendar off ebay or something, and the watch is a decade or 2 behind. Have fun setting that to today's date lol.

I think there are a handfull of perpetual calendars out there that can be set forward and backward... which is something I think all perpetuals should do!
Very interesting.. I guess i'll take perpetual calendars off my list of watches to buy.. haha
Old 01-18-2019, 07:48 PM   #3497
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,191 Times in 2,411 Posts
So I had the Junghans Max Bill on my list as my next watch, but I've gone down hard down the Speedy rabbit hole in my research lately...

Maybe it's time to treat myself with a splurge
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2019, 11:35 AM   #3498

Do itttt!! hahaha xD

Wait for the 2019 release, with the cal 321. (or at least wait to see how it turns out)
Old 01-19-2019, 06:31 PM   #3499
RS Veteran

I don't think the Calibre 321 will be easy to get, if even possible.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:44 AM   #3500
nuggets mod

Speedy Tuesday