REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Fashion & Shopping

Fashion & Shopping Blackmarkers. A Filtered Selection of Clothing, Footwear and Accessories.
Gotta stay fresh! Latest fashion trends, new clothing lines, mega sales events, and awesome deals..

Old 10-19-2018, 02:57 PM   #3451
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuYang View Post
Yes, that would be me :]

I'm dead set on buying new because it will be my FIRST luxury piece (I don't count a Vintage Zenith I have, worth only a few hundred). It is also to celebrate my 30th birthday... sorta like a milestone present for myself. (I can't believe when I joined RS, I was only 22... now I'm so old lol)

I will be buying mine ~first week of November. Atleast, that is my plan.

I probably won't be swapping on the new case back for a while though. Planning on enjoying the watch as is for a while. The sapphire caseback (and spacer ring / gasket) I bought are stored away for now.

In terms of look, the 1861 movement looks fairly similar to the sapphire sandwich 1863, sans geneva stripes ("cotes de geneve") on the 2? bridges, and a plastic chrono brake vs some sort of metal. The caseback I bought is OEM Omega, so it has the same engravings on the back.

You have the sapphire sandwich right? It will basically look the same on the back, just slightly less decoration :P
beauty! its gonna be great watch to celebrate a milestone. I got mine for my 30th as well

And yeah you right.. seems like 863 is a bit more decorated along w metal brake - (reading online it seems the plastic one works better).

I don't know how you're waiting patiently / planning to buy haha when I decided to get mine its all I could think about.
Advertisement
Old 10-21-2018, 01:29 PM   #3452

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneCapone View Post
beauty! its gonna be great watch to celebrate a milestone. I got mine for my 30th as well

And yeah you right.. seems like 863 is a bit more decorated along w metal brake - (reading online it seems the plastic one works better).

I don't know how you're waiting patiently / planning to buy haha when I decided to get mine its all I could think about.
Haha, the last 2 years of planning this purchase have actually been good for me though. I researched and considered a wide range of watches.

I wanted to buy ONE luxury watch. The one watch to rule them all. The one watch I will wear 99% of the time (not really a rotation kinda guy), the one watch that will be on my wrist for, ideally, the rest of my life.

It is a tough decision, so I gave myself that 2 years to really decide. Plus, it coinciding with my 30th birthday just makes it mean more, considering I don't have plans to buy another luxury watch after this.

I set a budget of around 10-12k, and looked at watches from Zenith, Blancpain, Glashutte Original, other Omegas, Parmigiani, JLC.

The Speedmaster was the watch to start the list, and one of 2 watches that remained on my list after 2 years. (Zenith El Primero 38mm is the other). All of the other watches that made it to my list didn't remain there for very long.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:00 PM   #3453
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
https://imgur.com/a/5YAxBDB
shit totally forgot to update yall haha

cant seem to be able to upload images hmm
[08-12, 00:25] Iceman-19 the owner was someone i knew. trusted him. that blew up in my face like i was a 19 year old jap girl at a bukkake party.
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-21-2018, 05:25 PM   #3454
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,507 Times in 4,310 Posts
Only a 116503. No big deal.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-21-2018, 08:54 PM   #3455

Quote:
Haha, the last 2 years of planning this purchase have actually been good for me though. I researched and considered a wide range of watches.

I wanted to buy ONE luxury watch. The one watch to rule them all. The one watch I will wear 99% of the time (not really a rotation kinda guy), the one watch that will be on my wrist for, ideally, the rest of my life.

It is a tough decision, so I gave myself that 2 years to really decide. Plus, it coinciding with my 30th birthday just makes it mean more, considering I don't have plans to buy another luxury watch after this.

I set a budget of around 10-12k, and looked at watches from Zenith, Blancpain, Glashutte Original, other Omegas, Parmigiani, JLC.

The Speedmaster was the watch to start the list, and one of 2 watches that remained on my list after 2 years. (Zenith El Primero 38mm is the other). All of the other watches that made it to my list didn't remain there for very long.
Yeah the speedmaster is incredibly versatile - it fits every condition. Naturally I wanna jump out and say ... whatt your budget is 10-12k and you didnt get a Jaeger-LeCoultre? But really, it comes down to what you are looking for and if you want something to sit on your wrist day and night.. you made an excellent choice. I want to add, because everyone online too busy circlejerkin they wont mention this, that the average person wont look at a speedy and go "wow yeah its a beautiful watch and looks like its worth $xxxx". 90% of people don't get it. It looks super basic and "its not a rolex" type of opinion. Lol side-note high five to DLO cuz that is a stunning Daytona. Bottom line is that it's just a simple, easy as fuck to read, beauty of a watch that has an incredibly long history. And thats why they say pick the watch you want and will be happy with - again excellent choice!

I must mention, the 1 con I have, is that changing the strap is extremely difficult (mainly putting the oem strap bck on). Follow the instructions and be extremely careful when you use the strap changing tool.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:13 PM   #3456
dlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Only a 116503. No big deal.
honestly walked in looking to get a datejust fluted bezel but saw my dream watch.. always wanted a SS daytona but not gonna wait 5 fucking years with no gurantees for one lol
went 9k over budget but no ragretzzzzz

Quote:

honestly, go for that dream watch rather than buying something of budget.. you'll be a lot happier with the watch you originally wanted and might even save some money not buying any additional peices
[08-12, 00:25] Iceman-19 the owner was someone i knew. trusted him. that blew up in my face like i was a 19 year old jap girl at a bukkake party.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-24-2018, 11:57 AM   #3457
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,110 Times in 602 Posts
All the baller watches in here and me with my TicWatch pro
Spoiler!
mk1freak is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2018, 01:47 PM   #3458
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlo View Post
.. and might even save some money not buying any additional peices
that's what they all say
Old 10-25-2018, 03:14 PM   #3459
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts

Beater watch day.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2018, 06:48 PM   #3460
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Got a deal on a new Seiko earlier today at the Bay. Regular price was $295 + tax but it was on sale 30% and if you use The bay card it was additional 15% off. Ended up only paying $181 for it. Not a bad deal. I was having a hard time deciding if I should wear my Citizen or some fashion watch for my upcoming trip to China. Guess I guess wear the Seiko now

Last edited by Mr.HappySilp; 10-25-2018 at 06:55 PM.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2018, 10:52 PM   #3461
dlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
that's what they all say
audemar piguet self winding on my next hitlist but it will be a long way till.. or maybe a rolex deep sea.. lmfao
Old 10-26-2018, 10:48 AM   #3462
nuggets mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlo View Post
audemar piguet self winding on my next hitlist but it will be a long way till.. or maybe a rolex deep sea.. lmfao
Very nice.. I really like the deep sea.. I'm hoping to pick up a SBGA211 next though
Old 10-26-2018, 01:04 PM   #3463
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post

Beater watch day.
i love my luminox. being able to see it at night cause of the gases is just amazing. I have 2 of them. love it.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:52 PM   #3464
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanked 1,532 Times in 534 Posts
New daily G-shock as my nicer watches get nicked up quite badly at work. Skycockpit G-shock. Love the atomic timekeeping calibration feature.

rb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-02-2018, 09:51 AM   #3465
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
i love my luminox. being able to see it at night cause of the gases is just amazing. I have 2 of them. love it.
It's a great beater watch - quartz means I don't have to worry about winding it or swinging it around, and the tubes are bright enough without being too bright at night, and don't have to worry about charging the lume. Plus, I don't feel bad bashing it around a little bit.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:28 AM   #3466
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb View Post
New daily G-shock as my nicer watches get nicked up quite badly at work. Skycockpit G-shock. Love the atomic timekeeping calibration feature.

Very nice. Where'd you buy it from?
Old 11-03-2018, 10:43 AM   #3467

Just got my Speedy!

The bracelet surprisingly doesn't overhang. But it is borderline. I am still deciding on whether to get the push button adjustment clasp or not. Otherwise fitment is perfect! Even amount of links removed so the clasp sits perfectly centered, and no half-links required (they don't even make half-links for this bracelet). Not too tight, and not too loose.

Even then, I still think the Speedy looks the best on a nice brown strap. So I will be throwing it on my Bulang and Sons strap in the near future! (Note my custom 3D printed pin buckle lol)

Also in the photo is the sapphire caseback :]

The watch is a beaut!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181103_112952.jpg (142.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181103_113243.jpg (203.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-06-2018, 04:56 PM   #3468
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 302 Posts
Fitted the speedy with an Omega calf leather rally strap. It's like falling in love all over again

tomatogunk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-13-2018, 10:55 PM   #3469
I STILL don't get it

Some new watches

[/QUOTE]
MC21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 02:40 PM   #3470
das not it mane

Thanked 1,852 Times in 509 Posts
Been scoping out for some Cartier Tanks or Santos' and came across this one, it's local too. I'm not too well-versed in the Cartier models, so I was hoping someone could give me insight on this particular buy. Any help is appreciated. thanks

https://www.chrono24.ca/cartier/stai...-id9084862.htm
Old 01-06-2019, 04:41 PM   #3471
RS Veteran

Cartier makes good watches, and their parent company, Richemont Group, takes good care of their customers. Just know that if you decide to sell it, you'll have a hard time finding a buyer. These are more popular with watch enthusiasts, typically those who already have the usual suspects, like a Rolex and Omega etc.

You'll have to figure out what you want this watch for and accept that only a small group of people (watch geeks) will ever recognize it. People off the street will have absolutely no idea (if this is important to you at all.)

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
This post thanked by:
Old 01-06-2019, 07:37 PM   #3472
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Cartier makes good watches, and their parent company, Richemont Group, takes good care of their customers. Just know that if you decide to sell it, you'll have a hard time finding a buyer. These are more popular with watch enthusiasts, typically those who already have the usual suspects, like a Rolex and Omega etc.

You'll have to figure out what you want this watch for and accept that only a small group of people (watch geeks) will ever recognize it. People off the street will have absolutely no idea (if this is important to you at all.)

Really?? Different opinion than me. I personally think of Cartier as a highend "fashion" watch, rather than an enthusiasts watch, or a "real" watch.
But thats just my opinion on the brand.

In that $3kcdn range, on a pre-owned, it'd aim for something along the line of an Omega AT.
hi-revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:45 PM   #3473
RS Veteran

Respectfully, I understand your opinion. but the Cartier Tank has a much longer pedigree and history than an Omega AT. The unfortunate situation for Cartier is that it gets bundled into the "high end fashion," category, as opposed to a "real" watch category. If you ever get a chance to look at a Cartier watch up close and personal, take the opportunity - You will change your opinion because the manufacturing quality really is that nice. I know of a few colleagues who own a Cartier watch and I originally scoffed at it, but when they took it in for service, their customer service really was THAT much better than Omega and TAG Heuer (which is iffy, by the way.) They really went above and beyond for them.

The Omega Aqua Terra has a benefit in which it has the backing of The Swatch Group, which also owns ETA. As a result, it can easily benefit from the group's access to movements and whatnot. Depending on who you ask, the Aqua Terra is a bit of an odd watch to the entire Omega line-up. It falters from an identity crisis which Omega created to fill in a market void; It's not quite a dress nor sports watch. And with the regular variations of them annually, they diminish quite quickly in value and fail to fit in a collector's vault for more than two years as they are dime a dozen.

Depending on where you are in your watch collecting phase, you either like or dislike the Cartier Tank (or anything Cartier, for that matter.) I've soft spot for the Piaget Polo, but cannot fathom to drop $10K+ on one as there are plenty of other nicer watches out there for the same kind of money.

This post thanked by:
Old 01-07-2019, 11:03 AM   #3474
nuggets mod

Anyone have tips on where I can look online for a used Grand Seiko?
Old 01-07-2019, 12:04 PM   #3475
RS Veteran

if you prefer Canadian resources, try Canadian Watch Collector forums - Canadian Watch Collector

Most of their members are Toronto/Montreal based. Grand Seikos pop up quite often and can be a bit of a bargain compared to when buying new. I find the trend being that most people buy them, find that the watch didn't meet their sky high expectations, and flip them fast.

This post thanked by: