REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-28-2007, 09:22 PM   #126
RS Lurker, I don't post!

kicking horse pass is an awesome one. thats one of my top faves in BC
Advertisement
Nissan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:45 AM   #127
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Nice to read all the suggestions. I've driven most of the routes identified here other than the gravel ones. I'm strictly pavement.

Although I generally agree that the Sunshind Coast roads are great and twisty ... as is the Tofino run. But for me (other than a few gems in the Alberta side of the Canadian Rockies); nothing beats the drive from Sooke to Port Renfew. Its all paved. Very low traffic. Its usually 2 lanes but there are plenty of single lane wooden bridges. What makes this an exceptional drive is that it has very little usage, great ocean and forest scenery, lots and lots of technical turns ... and damn fun to drive fast.

I discovered this road while doing the West Coast Trail a number of years ago and have been back only a couple of times. But each time I go back ... it puts a smile on my face.
jyipdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:18 PM   #128
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Lots of good suggestions in this thread so I thought I would add one for anyone headed over to the island.

The drive from Jordan River (past Sooke) to Port Renfrew is extremely windy with lots of small hills. Makes my wife sick every time we do it! lol...

You can do a loop right from Victoria-Sooke-Jordan River-Port Renfrew, then do a little dirt driving to Lake Cowichan and back down to Victoria.

It's a nice scenic drive with a little bit of everything.
neilvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:13 AM   #129
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Sylvester rd is a good run
http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=...,0.214577&z=13

its nice on a sunny day.. last time i went up they still had snow on the ground

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=...,0.107288&z=14

sumas mountain road is good too.. awesome drive @ 4 in the morning
Street Car --> 15.45 | Vega --> 11.65
seekerbeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:26 PM   #130
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

sunshine coast has some awesome road, also the road to tofino
windchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:21 PM   #131
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post

It's out in the Abbotsford area.

There are a couple ways you can do this but the way we went was to start East-bound on Clayburn Road and continue until you hit Sumas Mountain Road. Turn left so you're going up the mountain via Upper Sumas Mountain Road. It will eventually turn into a gravel road (which is an awesome route for off-roading, btw). At which point, turn around and just follow it until it turns from Upper Sumas Mountain Road into Sumas Mountain Road. Eventually you'll get to an intersection it meets up with Atkinson Road. Turn right and you'll find yourself on Lower Sumas Mountain Road. This stretch is the absolute cherry of this route. Zero traffic on a near switch-back route on the mountain side. It's a bloody amazing run.
I live in Abbotsford, so I do that run pretty regularly :P. It is a great road to test out new mods and just relax.

BTW, I'm up for any adventures. Those areas sound like they have a lot to offer.
ToyotaPowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:50 AM   #132
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

OMG, yet another reason I miss BC. Im building my 88 Civic RT4WD Wagon right now, once I move home those dirt roads are going to get a whoopin!

Keeping showing these great backroads, paved and unpaved. Looks like tons of fun! I saw some shots of maps, but what might help as well is starting points with KM readings to turn offs for specific runs. I try to set that up up here for the roads me and my wife drive in the central vally hills in CA on my GPS. Works out pretty well.
91civicZC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:15 AM   #133
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Yeah Sumas Mtn. is awesome, it's practically my back yard... I haven't been through it since I had my turbo CRX but once I put some coilovers and an exhaust/intake on my DC2, I'll be sure to test them out there. I love it because there is a bit of everything- lots of technical corners, long ass sweepers and long enough straights to really get ripping! Heres a better GoogleMap for those who want to check it out.

PS Straiton Rd makes for a wicked Longboard run also :P.
604CRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:01 PM   #134
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

How about along Blubbler Bay Rd and then right on Gilles Bay Rd in Texada Isl. The only drawbacks are that you need to take three ferry rides to get there and not much places to chill. it's pretty much all cabins, beach, residential, farms and tress...

my crapbucket

*ding* *ding* *ding* ...breast milk...you make my day-ee-yay!
evil_jigglypuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:03 PM   #135
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
I don't know if its been said, but whistler to pemberton is a pretty awesome short sprinted drive.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:42 PM   #136
Need to Seek Professional Help

Guys,

How fast are you taking corners (obviously... it depends on conditions and the corner itself). There's been a bit of talk about the Hope-Princeton, for instance. Nearer Princeton, eastbound, are about a half-dozen sweeping moderate speed righthanders with a yellow (suggested) speed of 40 kph. How fast do you typically take these, in "spirited" mode?

When you're driving a bit harder, are you after higher cornering speed? Corner exit? Late braking?
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:52 AM   #137
I subscribe to Revscene

In mid-May, we plan to go camping plus cruising some twisties.

Recommend anything?

FS: Jordan XX8, GMP Vi, AM1 Atmos Safari, bunch of Supreme stuff
http://www.revscene.net/forums/68857...2Arare%2A.html
daval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:20 PM   #138
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Anywhere along No #3 Rd Richmond LOL
dmocchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:26 PM   #139
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Went out to the Kootenays today and wow. Highway 3, as soon as you pass Hope, all the way to Kaslo, some amazing stretches, great views and lots of twisties , an all around enjoyable ride.
tt awd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 01:05 AM   #140
I am Hook'd on RS

this doesnt really fit in here but,
does anyone know if that road going up to SFU is a good road to drive? esp at night?
im probably going there next year and im just wondering. haha.
lazy_stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:14 PM   #141
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

white lake road, just south of penticton is amazing
hayter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:36 PM   #142
private modder

Thanked 2,650 Times in 740 Posts
This weekend I did the Loop.

From Horseshoe Bay to Whistler was lousy. Road is mediocre and traffic heavy. Spent the night in Whistler though so, no big deal.

From Whistler to Pemberton was amazing. Do it early in the day and traffic is minimal. Pavement conditions are great.

From Pemberton to Lilloet (Duffey Lake Rd) is awful. If you have a car with stock suspension or you're in a SUV then it's no problem. But my car doesn't mix well with potholes and uneven pavement, so this was no fun. Surprised nothing broke, to be honest.

But the payoff was worth it. From Lilloet to Lytton (Hwy 12) was superb. Road conditions were average to above average. Long sweepers and switchbacks, so you get a bit of everything. And traffic was nil.

Then from Lytton to Hope was also very good. While traffic can get heavy, there are plenty of passing opportunities. But watch for cops through this stretch.

Highway 1 from Hope to Vancouver was same-old same-old.

The only thing I missed was Highway 8 from Spences Bridge to Merritt. This is also great, and I'll make sure I inclue that next time.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:18 PM   #143
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post

From Horseshoe Bay to Whistler was lousy. Road is mediocre and traffic heavy. Spent the night in Whistler though so, no big deal.

From Whistler to Pemberton was amazing. Do it early in the day and traffic is minimal. Pavement conditions are great.

From Pemberton to Lilloet (Duffey Lake Rd) is awful. If you have a car with stock suspension or you're in a SUV then it's no problem. But my car doesn't mix well with potholes and uneven pavement, so this was no fun. Surprised nothing broke, to be honest.

But the payoff was worth it. From Lilloet to Lytton (Hwy 12) was superb. Road conditions were average to above average. Long sweepers and switchbacks, so you get a bit of everything. And traffic was nil.

Then from Lytton to Hope was also very good. While traffic can get heavy, there are plenty of passing opportunities. But watch for cops through this stretch.

The only thing I missed was Highway 8 from Spences Bridge to Merritt. This is also great, and I'll make sure I inclue that next time.

wow, when i get my license back, im definitely trying this route!
Im doing a cruise to Bella Coola in Late August, just for fun. I dont know how the roads are... but if someone done it before, can you tell me how the roads are like?? im going with a 08 accord, and a lowered RSX.
Maybe the lowered rsx wouldnt be a good choice, because there might be some rough pavement or something like that..~~~

but i like ur loop man~ i will definitely try it and comment on it =)
Old 07-15-2008, 02:32 PM   #144
RS Lurker, I don't post!

sea to sky hwy
mr_sir_chuck_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:15 PM   #145
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

West Side road on the west side of okanogan lake from Westbank to Vernon is another great road. There is traffic though during the day in the summer as there are campsites along there, but its a great drive and very scenic as well.
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en...,0.512238&z=11
SHIFT_drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:30 PM   #146
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Just drove the sea to sky hwy today, for the first time. Loved the drive, but expect delays due to construction of course. We made a quick pitstop in Squamish for snack and break @ timmies. Beautiful scenary and I only saw 1 cop (it was a ghost car mind you ). I took it slow; mainly going the speed limit, and it was super enjoyable.
violetfirefly6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:24 PM   #147
RabidMod

Thanked 1,099 Times in 407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post

I've done this loop also, but in reverse. I find it's better not to put the long hwy1 stretch at the end because you're likely to fall asleep from the hard driving haha.

What kinda suspension are you on? I was on H&R coilovers and while the ride through the Duffy Lake stretch made my ass hurt, it wasn't sooo bad. The twisties more then make up for it. Easily the best part of the entire route imo.

Oh you forgot to mention the tunnels going from Lytton to Hope I think it was. Aural pleasure. =)
Old 07-23-2008, 05:42 PM   #148
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy_stevie View Post
this doesnt really fit in here but,
does anyone know if that road going up to SFU is a good road to drive? esp at night?
im probably going there next year and im just wondering. haha.
im assuming you're asking about the burnaby campus? there are some decent roads up on campus at night..but i don't suggest going fast simply because the roads feel like they're unpaved. you're suspension will be screaming. :P
Old 08-08-2008, 11:07 AM   #149
Banned (ABWS)

Some sick deserted roads around alice lake just after squamish, 80km speed limit on some parts!
Adsdeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:39 PM   #150
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

paved roads. Paved roads are the best
imShawn is offline   Reply With Quote