REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Photography Lab

Photography Lab THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
A place to display digital masterpieces, enhance photography skills, photoshop, and share photo tips with one another...

Old 02-11-2017, 10:48 PM   #2601
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,899 Posts
for some stupid reason the screens on sony mirrolress doesn't turn off during long exposures

do longs/stacking/video and you'll notice the battery drains fast (I'm usually in airplane mode too). Each of the dinky batteries only hold like 1000mah..i've got a few so it's none issue in the field but getting back to your hotel to charge can be a chore
Advertisement
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 11:38 PM   #2602
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
for some stupid reason the screens on sony mirrolress doesn't turn off during long exposures do longs/stacking/video and you'll notice the battery drains fast (I'm usually in airplane mode too)e
Is your A7ii on the latest firmware? The screen on mine doesn't stay on during long exposure, maybe its something in your settings?

Agreed, video will kill the battery pretty fast especially if youre on the highest bitrate lol but the quality.... so good!
Kamui712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:19 AM   #2603

a7R II latest FW but same oversight on the a6000
Old 02-13-2017, 05:39 PM   #2604
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

I just did a test on my a7ii and a5100, I think I see what you mean. The screen goes "black" but the LCD is still on.

They expect us to turn off the screen manually???

*edit* did a quick google and found this on another forum

Quote:
Got this from Colby Brown Facebook. This lets you turn off the rear LCD and only have the EVF on until you use one of your buttons to switch to the LCD. Another push of the button takes you back to viewfinder only. Should save massive amounts of battery.

Go to the menu system (Gear 4) and choose either monitor or viewfinder on. Choose one of the three options, I have it set for viewfinder which turns off the LCD monitor. In this case it is really turned off using no power at all. Then go to custom button settings and assign finder /monitor select as an option. I have it assigned to the AEL button. When you push the AEL button the viewfinder goes off and the LCD goes on, push it again and the LCD goes off and the monitor goes on.

I used it all morning and still have 89% battery, works great.
Kamui712 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-17-2017, 08:11 PM   #2605

yes I read that thread but never followed up knowing OLED viewfinder burns more battery than LCD

but that setup does save battery after all because when your eyes are not at the viewfinder both are turned off off when manually toggled to EVF
Old 03-05-2017, 09:14 AM   #2606
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

hey im just looking for a simple point and shoot camera that produces HQ quality
any suggestions

I have never bought a camera before
or should i just upgrade my iphone (sorry if that sounds uninformed or ignorant)
m4k4v4li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:03 AM   #2607
フルコンボ

Thanked 3,931 Times in 583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4k4v4li View Post
hey im just looking for a simple point and shoot camera that produces HQ quality
any suggestions

or should i just upgrade my iphone (sorry if that sounds uninformed or ignorant)
Rx100 m5. Picked one up, love it.
RCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:42 PM   #2608
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4k4v4li View Post
any suggestions

Whats your budget?

I have the Sony RX100IV, and its amazing but it's not inexpensive.
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:55 AM   #2609
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
looking to pick up a dslr for the summer and get into a bit of amateur photography
asides from owning a few point and shoots in the past, i don't know squat

anyone recommend a good starting kit and a good 101 write up somewhere?
i've been looking at Nikon D3400 and D3300 as well as Canons T6 kits...budget would be up to $600.

TIA!
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:59 AM   #2610
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
Looking to pick up a decent point and shoot camera to take better quality photos when I'm on vacation than using an iPhone.

Looking to spend maybe in the $400 - $600 range? Some of you guys recommended the Sony RX100 from the previous post above. Any other recommendations?
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:38 PM   #2611
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
RX100V is actually worth the premium. Its AF capability is absolutely redonk.

I've seen them on CL for around 1000. Might be something to think about.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:55 PM   #2612
フルコンボ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
RX100V is actually worth the premium. Its AF capability is absolutely redonk.

I've seen them on CL for around 1000. Might be something to think about.
I love my Mk5. I stuck a grip on it and now it feels perfect in the hand.
A Mk3 could be had for around 400-500 and it performs just as well. My dad has a Mk2 and he cant justify an upgrade because it still works so damn well.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:39 PM   #2613

budget is $500 and you recommend the Mark V

but agreed it's a near-perfect pocket camera...I'd trade the ludicrous 960fps slow-mo for touchscreen though I'm sure it's coming in the new one this year.
does the grip affect pocketbility? I wanted to keep it minimalistic but it might be handy to have especially now that I may take this on my next trip instead of the interchangeable mirrorless.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:15 AM   #2614
フルコンボ

Quote:
budget is $500 and you recommend the Mark V

but agreed it's a near-perfect pocket camera...I'd trade the ludicrous 960fps slow-mo for touchscreen though I'm sure it's coming in the new one this year.
does the grip affect pocketbility? I wanted to keep it minimalistic but it might be handy to have especially now that I may take this on my next trip instead of the interchangeable mirrorless.
I got a grip similar to this: https://www.amazon.ca/Release-WAG-RX...rds=rx100-grip
the grip goes no further than the lens when its collapsed so it doesnt really affect pocketability for me. Makes a world of difference in handling though. The camera is very slippery as it is and a grip really helps.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:52 AM   #2615
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
I got the Sony AGR2 grip that uses double sided tape to stick on. Works well, doesn't stick out farther than the lens. I think it was like $20. Make a huge difference when holding the camera.

Spoiler!
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:32 PM   #2616
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
What's a good travel camera that doesn't break the bank these days? Looking at used stuff as well

Fuji Xt10 is about 600 bucks without a lens...

I'm going to Japan in September and just don't want to lug my D800 with me but I don't want to compromise too much by just using my iPhone.
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:45 PM   #2617
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Looking to either get the A6300 or XT1. They're about the same price now. This will be my second system for travel and walking on the streets. Currently have a Nikon DX lineup (Wont go ful frame). May take the leap and do mirrorless if I like the second body.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:19 AM   #2618
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3klipze View Post
Looking to either get the A6300 or XT1. They're about the same price now. This will be my second system for travel and walking on the streets. Currently have a Nikon DX lineup (Wont go ful frame). May take the leap and do mirrorless if I like the second body.
Are you jumping on the deal from B&H? Was browsing RFD the other day and came across it. 800USD for the body and a free 35mm f2 plus some accessories, can't be beat lol. The 35 f2 is a great lens!
-lincolnboi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:32 AM   #2619
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Full disclosure I shoot Fuji.

Get the Fuji. Given you're a serious photographer since this will be a second body, the extra knobs and accessible settings on the actual body (and not in the menus) will be greatly appreciated.

If you haven't, look through the X-T1/2 EVF. It's amazing.

One thing that bugs me about mirrorless in general is the battery life. It sucks so factor in the cost for extra batteries.

The one thing that bugs me about Fuji's XTrans2 sensor (the one in the X-T1 and my X-E2) is the magenta cast and waxy skin at ISO 3200+. The A6300 will have a more traditional RAW output that you expect from non-XTrans sensors. Even with that, Fuji's glass blows Sony's crop lens selection away. It's no contest.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:51 AM   #2620
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui712 View Post
I just did a test on my a7ii and a5100, I think I see what you mean. The screen goes "black" but the LCD is still on.

They expect us to turn off the screen manually???

*edit* did a quick google and found this on another forum

Wanna sell the 5100?

I'm happy with the A5 and my lens setups but sometimes I wish I had a viewfinder

Last edited by snails; 08-01-2017 at 05:40 PM.
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:39 PM   #2621

Quote:
Originally Posted by -lincolnboi- View Post
Are you jumping on the deal from B&H? Was browsing RFD the other day and came across it. 800USD for the body and a free 35mm f2 plus some accessories, can't be beat lol. The 35 f2 is a great lens!
Yup! I saw the deal, but I purchased the X-T1 from Amazon. Faster delivery, better customer service over all. I'll be parting the 35mm f2 when I get it and use the kit 18-55mm. That's all I need for travel lens most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
Full disclosure I shoot Fuji.

Get the Fuji. Given you're a serious photographer since this will be a second body, the extra knobs and accessible settings on the actual body (and not in the menus) will be greatly appreciated.

If you haven't, look through the X-T1/2 EVF. It's amazing.

One thing that bugs me about mirrorless in general is the battery life. It sucks so factor in the cost for extra batteries.

The one thing that bugs me about Fuji's XTrans2 sensor (the one in the X-T1 and my X-E2) is the magenta cast and waxy skin at ISO 3200+. The A6300 will have a more traditional RAW output that you expect from non-XTrans sensors. Even with that, Fuji's glass blows Sony's crop lens selection away. It's no contest.
Thanks for the input. Bought the Fuji! I was only considering the A6300 to use with adapters to shoot with my Nikon lenses. Both systems are within my budget, but the A6300 is a bit more expensive. Decided not to as adapters are finicky and the really good with ones with extra features like AF are expensive.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-03-2017, 09:18 AM   #2622
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3klipze View Post
Yup! I saw the deal, but I purchased the X-T1 from Amazon. Faster delivery, better customer service over all. I'll be parting the 35mm f2 when I get it and use the kit 18-55mm. That's all I need for travel lens most of the time.

Thanks for the input. Bought the Fuji! I was only considering the A6300 to use with adapters to shoot with my Nikon lenses. Both systems are within my budget, but the A6300 is a bit more expensive. Decided not to as adapters are finicky and the really good with ones with extra features like AF are expensive.
Nice purchase!

I'm a huge fan of the 18-55. I was so close to selling it but decided to take it with me on a trip to Montreal without my 23 and I fell back in love with it. Now it's on my camera 60% of the time (pretty much any time I'm outdoors and it's sunny and I don't feel "artsy" lol)

I did have adapters for Nikon and Canon F. While fun to use, I still prefer the IQ and feel for the modern lenses. Maybe I'm a pleb that way
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:18 PM   #2623

I would assume the modern AF-S lenses from Nikon would produce some decent quality images albeit the lack of communication with the body.

Received the camera the yesterday and got to play around with it a bit. I won't compare the physical features and size as there are obvious differences between the two. So far, what I like:

- WYSIWYG manual mode on the X-T1. On my Nikon, I would have to take multiple pictures to get the exposure just right. Minimum of 3 usually. With the fuji, I can achieve the right exposure right away and start shooting.

- Focus peaking - Read about this feature a while ago. Neat feature and really helps with nailing the focus. Will definitely help if I get some cheaper old lenses without AF ability.

- EVF is big, bright, and beautiful. Second screen for focusing is awesome as well. It doesn't seem like I can use second screen (zoomed) + focus peaking. Maybe I just don't have the right settings.

- Tilty screen. Oh I miss this so much. So helpful in many scenarios!

What I don't like:
- Shutter dial - I just put it in "T" mode and use the dial. It's way faster than moving your hand.

- ISO dial, unlike the shutter dial, constantly locks at every click. I guess its good, but I would rather have dial spin freely with a button to lock it (I think XT-2 has this capability).

All in all, I'm liking it so far. It doesn't feel too "electronic" like what I hear with the Sony cameras. It is definitely a photographers camera and Fuji is definitely doing it right for a mirrorless setup.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:30 PM   #2624

good choice

i'm a big sony camera fanboy but wouldn't recommend investing an a6300 only to adapt lenses

doubt you'll keep the Nikon crop for much longer
Old 08-03-2017, 07:56 PM   #2625
フルコンボ

Quote:
... but wouldn't recommend investing an a6300 only to adapt lenses
I got a A7ii just to adapt lenses. Matsuda did too Lol.