REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 09-29-2016, 05:43 AM   #7401
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,440 Times in 4,281 Posts
Keg Langley
Advertisement

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 01:21 PM   #7402
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Kwong Chow on main for pork and preserved egg congee + deep fried silverfish 9/10

Where do you guys like to go for late night congee? I haven't been to a ton of places b/c I've been happy with the one I've been going to for ages. Lol

I live right by congee noodle king on kingsway and joyce but will only go there for convenience. I would rate them like 7/10 lol

I also heard broadway congee went downhill so I didn't even want to give it a try anymore
guurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:40 PM   #7403
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
i go to east one for their congees, never had a bad experience with the food, only the service lol
[08-12, 00:25] Iceman-19 the owner was someone i knew. trusted him. that blew up in my face like i was a 19 year old jap girl at a bukkake party.
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:32 PM   #7404
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,312 Times in 961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guurl View Post
Kwong Chow on main for pork and preserved egg congee + deep fried silverfish 9/10
i go there for 2 main dish. 1) is their deep friend silverfish and 2) Szechuan Style Spicy Boneless Chicken it's spicy chicken + deep fried spinach.

so epic awesome each time i go.

6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:35 PM   #7405
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Been to Kongee Dinesty in Richmond twice this month. Their congee is pretty good. Price is good, 'topping' goes all the way to the bottom, large portion, tasty. Slightly better than Congee noodle king on Joyce.

8/10
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:56 PM   #7406
RS controls my life!

Thanked 2,003 Times in 216 Posts
Last bit from my visit in the summer.

Keg (Granville Island) 9/10 - Always been consistent for me. I order the same stuff everytime. Cheese toast (I find this better than Hy's actually), Baked Onion Soup, Prime Rib, and lobster.

Splitz Grill 9/10 - My favorite burger joint. Went here twice this summer. I read a member's post on how to judge a burger here (sorry forgot the name), and I agree with him completely. The patty should be the highlight, nothing else should take away the spotlight from the patty (heavy stuff liek foiegras etc). The patty should be charred enough to have a slight crust, yet soft inside etc. I think Splitz is one of the rare places taht can do that.

Le Crocodile 8/10 - Still good. Although not as great as past years I went. Service seemed to have went downhill a bit. Also The place is too loud =/

Taste Good Wonton Seafood 8.5/10 - Ignore the name. One of my fav. spots for chinese food. Disclaimer. I know the owners but yeah. It's my favorite place for crab and 'white rice fish'. Enough spice for that special kick. They're probably not that popular with the english speaking crowd but do give them a try.

prelude_prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:01 PM   #7407

Thanked 3,927 Times in 1,873 Posts
+1 for Taste Good Wonton on Marine. Very unique dishes and they always do things with a twist ... like their crab, taro chicken with sticky rice, fried tofu, razor clams, ... good call! Parking lot hell though!

Last edited by whitev70r; 09-30-2016 at 11:00 AM.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2016, 10:19 PM   #7408
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
+1 for Taste Good Wonton on Marine. Very unique dishes and they always do things with a twist ... like their crab, taro chicken with sticky rice ... good call! Parking lot hell though!
Agreed. That parking lot is VERY shitty. I only drive family cars there lol.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:52 AM   #7409
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,161 Times in 301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
I've been going to Banzai, getting their appetizer sashimi and making my own Poke Bowls

poke | Serious Eats
I guess the marinade covers up the taste? But Banzai though Want to try, don't want explosive diarrhea....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomes View Post
Been to Kongee Dinesty in Richmond twice this month. Their congee is pretty good. Price is good, 'topping' goes all the way to the bottom, large portion, tasty. Slightly better than Congee noodle king on Joyce.

8/10
Unfortunately they close at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude_prince View Post
Le Crocodile 8/10 - Still good. Although not as great as past years I went. Service seemed to have went downhill a bit. Also The place is too loud =/
What dish is that at crocodile?
Galactic_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:02 AM   #7410

Thanked 3,927 Times in 1,873 Posts
It's been a while, not last restaurant but Chef Tony's in Richmond. Their wasabe free range chicken, gives you brain freeze. At first, it's like WTH is this??! But then the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th piece is like ... wow, where have you been been all my life?

whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:22 AM   #7411
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
I hear the Keg has good cocktail happy hours
Old 09-30-2016, 03:02 PM   #7412

Chef tony is good, however, it's so mainstreamed where they put truffles / truffle oil in everyhting. dimsum with truffles, chicken etc.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:04 PM   #7413
RS controls my life!

@Galactic_Phantom

It's their Grilled Prime Rib of Beef on the bone with Béarnaise or Bordelaise Sauce. First time having it. I like it!
Old 10-01-2016, 10:48 PM   #7414
RS controls my life!

little sheep hot pot lansdowne

7/10

havent had hot pot in a while so I thought it was pretty good. went over board on eatting, totally paid the price afterwards..
red_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:34 PM   #7415
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

sushi maumi...........2nd time there and they changed; now its just omakase.

They basically force you to order omakase. Food is 7/10 and the sushi chef doesnt really interact with the customers.
extracrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:53 AM   #7416

^I recently called in and was told we have to order omakase. Another sushi place bites the dust, what a shame...

What did you get on your omakase?
Old 10-02-2016, 12:31 PM   #7417
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Interesting read about the current state of Maumi
Maumi Ozaki keeps the fish coming, so long as you dine by his rules - The Globe and Mail
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 02:10 PM   #7418

^ I liked the read as I've been there before.

It's similar to sushi nazi as they put it, then again, if you don't like it, go elsewhere. I can see why but in Japan like Jiro, you go there specifically for what it's for. People who is expecting cheap sushi and get smashed on sake can go to another place.
Old 10-02-2016, 02:37 PM   #7419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic_Phantom View Post
^I recently called in and was told we have to order omakase. Another sushi place bites the dust, what a shame...

What did you get on your omakase?
They had 2 to choose from the non premium(10 pieces) and premium(12 pieces).

So my I got the premium and my wife got the non-premium, turns out that we both get the same fish except I got 2 extra ones(I thought we get different fishes). They do allow you order extra only after the omakase. If you do go I would recommend ordering the non premium one and then order extra.

I couldn't remember all of them: spot prawn( they fried the head), horse mackerel, scallop, uni(from hokkaido), squid(from japan), tuna(not toro), amberjack, yellowtail, and some I cant remember.
Old 10-02-2016, 02:47 PM   #7420

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
^ I liked the read as I've been there before.

It's similar to sushi nazi as they put it, then again, if you don't like it, go elsewhere. I can see why but in Japan like Jiro, you go there specifically for what it's for. People who is expecting cheap sushi and get smashed on sake can go to another place.
My wife and I have been there before(we had a great experience and loved the huge selection, there was lots of fish we have never tried before) and we are will aware that its not cheap. We went there for the quality, we were just surprised that now its strictly omakase. You used to get 15 pieces for the premium omakase for $60.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:06 PM   #7421

LOL, sushi nazi? Fuck that dumb bitch.

She can go eat at Sushitown.

Sushi chef respects his disciplined art form and has limited spacing in the tiny shop he could afford. Has rules and etiquette to ensure things go smoothly for himself and his guests.

Let's compare to him to Hitler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extracrunchie View Post
They had 2 to choose from the non premium(10 pieces) and premium(12 pieces).

So my I got the premium and my wife got the non-premium, turns out that we both get the same fish except I got 2 extra ones(I thought we get different fishes). They do allow you order extra only after the omakase. If you do go I would recommend ordering the non premium one and then order extra.

I couldn't remember all of them: spot prawn( they fried the head), horse mackerel, scallop, uni(from hokkaido), squid(from japan), tuna(not toro), amberjack, yellowtail, and some I cant remember.
Why wouldn't you get the premium one? It comes with bafun uni and bluefin otoro.

Thats the $20 difference. $12 for otoro and $8 for the uni.
Old 10-02-2016, 05:36 PM   #7422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic_Phantom View Post
LOL, sushi nazi? Fuck that dumb bitch.

She can go eat at Sushitown.

Sushi chef respects his disciplined art form and has limited spacing in the tiny shop he could afford. Has rules and etiquette to ensure things go smoothly for himself and his guests.

Let's compare to him to Hitler.

Why wouldn't you get the premium one? It comes with bafun uni and bluefin otoro.

Thats the $20 difference. $12 for otoro and $8 for the uni.
I have had otoro before and what I had there doesnt seem like otoro(it wasn't fatty). But this is just my opinion, I can't taste the difference between local and hokkaido uni lol. I think local is just $4.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:19 PM   #7423

Yup, i agree, I would get the regular one and then add on more fish if I chose to.

I've tried the $60 dollar one a few times and I wasn't a fan of squid so for sure I'm going to order more on my own. i did add the "sperm sushi", or cod milt to be exact. It's only available during winter months.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:09 PM   #7424
RS controls my life!

With 15pieces it was worth it when I went last year. What pieces are missing now in the new premium omakase? (I noticed I didn't get spot prawn. And I asked for no Ikura)

Last edited by prelude_prince; 10-02-2016 at 10:14 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:33 PM   #7425

It's missing the octopus, the mantis prawn and not sure what the last one that's missing. Ya the 15 piece was well worth it.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk