REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 01-11-2017, 08:08 AM   #7601
God of Unce

The shitty place I went to in the middle of Queensborough lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
Head one block east to Viet Sub. Seating's not the most comfortable/spacious, but at least the food's decent.
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2017, 03:23 PM   #7602
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
$24.95 for spaghetti and meatballs.

That is an insane price to pay for an Italian staple. $11.95 - okay. I get it. But not for $25.
Importing synthetic truffle oil from China isn't cheap!
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2017, 03:40 PM   #7603
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Wish I could thank you 400 times. Just so you guys know, you could come have orechiette bolognese from our house ground beef, bison, pork and duck trim, and real shaved perigord truffle for $28. Running it tonight on the feature sheet.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:33 PM   #7604
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Sushi King George

Just opened recently and a lady friend wanted to try their AYCE menu.

Food quality is a lot better than most AYCE places. However, their oyster motoyaki is the only down side, it's the worse i've ever had.. VERY VERY SWEET!

My favourite item on the AYCE menu would be the unagi nigiri.

Decor is nice, food takes a while to come out, but the place was busy and it's their first week of opening.

A little pricey $18 + tax and tip = $24.

6.5/10
dapperfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:08 PM   #7605
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperfied View Post
Sushi King George

Just opened recently and a lady friend wanted to try their AYCE menu.

Food quality is a lot better than most AYCE places. However, their oyster motoyaki is the only down side, it's the worse i've ever had.. VERY VERY SWEET!

My favourite item on the AYCE menu would be the unagi nigiri.

Decor is nice, food takes a while to come out, but the place was busy and it's their first week of opening.

A little pricey $18 + tax and tip = $24.

6.5/10
I know I'm frugal, but you gave an AYCE restaurant 28% tips??!
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:43 PM   #7606
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

My bad, I was thinking of the lunch AYCE price it was $24 + tax + tip lol
dapperfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:28 PM   #7607
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

To dine for - on terminal ave. cafe style restaurant

9/10

I ordered the peanut butter w/ bacon and aioli burger. It was messy but delicious, like a true burger should be. The patty and bun were clearly fresh and the fries were super crunchy!! not starchy at all. Fav place for fries as of today. Decent price $11 for burger and fries.
guurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:18 PM   #7608
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,004 Times in 1,909 Posts
Thomas Haas (West Broadway & Trafalgar) for coffee and latte. Double Baked Almond Croissant is out of this world. Tried the Almond Marscapone (Tiramisu) ... really good! Everything in there is done up real well. Bit on the $$ side but really worth what you pay. Also have some sandwiches for light lunch.

9.5/10

https://thomas-haas-chocolates-2.myshopify.com/
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:09 PM   #7609

Thanked 2,346 Times in 973 Posts
went back to kissa tanto for the same menu; tonight they had pork jaw;
and also had the fried fish.

Service was epic, great people, always had a smile, food was exactly the same as I had last week; perfect. I don't know about you but it was great
again, 8.5 /10.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:46 AM   #7610
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Jam Cafe

food and decor 8/10. Breakfast food was good, but not $15 per plate good. Anything with meat in the breakfast it's $15 and up. For two, the bill came out to $48 with tips and tax. two drinks tacked on like an extra $9, jesus.

Value 4/10

If I really had to have chicken and waffles in one place at the same time, I guess it's ok, I rather go to Nero and churches chicken and have a three piece and fries for 5.99 then a banana nutella for $7 the slap it together for a more filling for around the same price.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 03:49 PM   #7611
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,509 Times in 4,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
went back to kissa tanto for the same menu; tonight they had pork jaw;
and also had the fried fish.

Service was epic, great people, always had a smile, food was exactly the same as I had last week; perfect. I don't know about you but it was great
again, 8.5 /10.
I would like to understand the 8.5/10 rating despite you saying the service was epic and the food was perfect. Should that not be 10/10 or am I missing something here?

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2017, 03:54 PM   #7612
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Its like the
Will never go back 8/10 rating a while back.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2017, 04:49 PM   #7613
ZN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
Italian Kitchen - 1/10

Can't comment on service as I got my brother to take-out their "famous" Truffled Spaghetti & Signature Meatballs - $24.95

The meatballs were very dry and flavourless. The pasta was barely any better, dry and way overcooked to mush. I had to double check that I got the "truffle" spaghetti because I could not taste any truffle, at all. Just barely seasoned tomato sauce.
At this point I honestly prefer the "Meat Bolognaise" at a random HK cafe for $9 ...

Couple years back I went to Coast and did not like it - service was slow and food was below average.
Black & Blue also underwhelming - for a steakhouse experience I'd rather go Hy's or even Keg.

I don't know why I bother. I rarely knock on a business, but the Glowbal group in general has consistently been a huge disappointment. Never again.
I go there with my team a lot, and honestly I wish we'd stop going. It's terribly over priced food. It's like if you added some saffron to a curry beef brisket rice then jacked up the price to 20 bucks.

I had the meatball, it's soft with when you dine in, but there's no actual truffle in it. Just some truffle oil. I give italian kitchen a 6/10; mama mia
Old 01-15-2017, 05:06 PM   #7614
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Pho Tan on Main Street. 8/10. Tea was cold and decor is super old/worn down, but the food is decent as usual every time I go.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:44 PM   #7615

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I would like to understand the 8.5/10 rating despite you saying the service was epic and the food was perfect. Should that not be 10/10 or am I missing something here?
OH, the -1.5 came from 2 things: portions and value.

I'm NOT the type to be saying; gheez, I wish things were 8 bucks, and Mcdicks type cheap or portions like the size of American meals.

Didn't someone posted up pasta being epic rip off being $25 dollars. This felt the same; $25 dollars for a 4 bite size scoop of pasta was a tad underwhelming even when the taste was spot on.

The emphasized on sharing was fine, I just felt the portions were really small. (Nightingale also had the exact same issue).

Put it this way, you can't have the best of two worlds. Menus was split between pasta and protein section. Pasta wouldn't make you full, protein itself wouldn't make you full either. So you in a weird conundrum; pay for both making 1 full size entree pushing over $55, or be 1/2 full with either just protein / pasta.

Or you can be like Gothams and get the $8 veggies sides.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2017, 12:10 AM   #7616
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
mammy pancake and the other line up bubble waffle place on nathan road (mammy pancake has a michelin star for a bubble waffle joint..... took 20+ minutes to get BTW WTF!?)

my god... I have been too 10+ bubble waffle places and they all seem to be trash in hong kong, expected better tbh haha. Texture was awesome but taste was BLAND, not even sweet and zero flavor.

nathan road was garbage, anything in vancouver is better. Bubble waffle cafe restaurant on steveston and 5 road (richmond ) that just opened 1-3 months ago is the best I have ate.

Feels like vancouver has a more polished recipe of hongkong's famous street dessert

Went to the charles bar or w/e its called in gastown

DO NOT GO..... food was bad, beer battered fries were overseasoned. It tasted like lime and pepper chips from ms vickies, same exact flavor except with fries.

Burger bun (sesame) was the most dried up piece of bread I had on any burger. Salad was horrible. The server was the worst, didn't even tally up the orders properly and sort it out on a group of 12+ people. Legit gave us a big bill with orders mixed up..... took 30+ minutes to fully pay... per person LOL.

Would never go again, one of the worst experiences I had in any restaurant.

General Public on main and 17th.

Great place, same owners as the eatery, sushi is cheap and the volcano roll came with a bucket of fake crab meat hmmm

Deep fried banana is a bonus, great environment to chill and talk with friends

Would recommend if tho it is a bit hipster considering it is on mainstreet.

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.

Last edited by Verdasco; 01-16-2017 at 12:15 AM.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:36 AM   #7617
RS Veteran

Quote:
So, you are saying you'd give this place 10/10 if it weren't for portion size and value?

The example you just gave us contradicts what you said. Again, I'm just trying to understand what it is that you love so much about this place. I often feel your reviews are misleading, that's all.

I don't hate Kissa Tanto. I just felt that there was nothing particularly amazing about the food and service and I often do not factor in value and portion size into the equation.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 01-16-2017, 07:48 AM   #7618
ZN6

Quote:

I'm NOT the type to be saying; gheez, I wish things were 8 bucks, and Mcdicks type cheap or portions like the size of American meals.

Didn't someone posted up pasta being epic rip off being $25 dollars. This felt the same; $25 dollars for a 4 bite size scoop of pasta was a tad underwhelming even when the taste was spot on.

The emphasized on sharing was fine, I just felt the portions were really small. (Nightingale also had the exact same issue).

Put it this way, you can't have the best of two worlds. Menus was split between pasta and protein section. Pasta wouldn't make you full, protein itself wouldn't make you full either. So you in a weird conundrum; pay for both making 1 full size entree pushing over $55, or be 1/2 full with either just protein / pasta.

Or you can be like Gothams and get the $8 veggies sides.
Quote:

again, 8.5 /10.
I guess value is highly subjective, where to the point someone treats you epicly and food being, iunno, PERFECT. still 8.5/10.

bruh, you gonna beat your kids when they bring home a test with 10/10 on it even if they did their math problems in less steps than the average kid?
Old 01-16-2017, 07:55 AM   #7619
ZN6

Anyways back on topic. Went to Dinesty in Richmond. eh, food is ok. Service is good. Xiao long bao was good but not Long's noodle house good.

Sauces on some things, like the sesame sauce, chicken and rice sheet and cucumbers is kinda thin and runny.

The scallop and egg white fried rice was a bit on the salty side.

Beef roll with chive had sauce in it that was too tangy and slightly bitter.

But then again, this is better than a lot of shanghai style restaurants already. This place slides by with a 7/10.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:18 AM   #7620
RS Veteran

Went to see westopher @ Homer Street Cafe last week.

Food - 10/10 perfect
value - 0/10 why the fuck do I pay $20 or whatever for roast chicken?
service - 8.5/10 because westopher didn't wink at me
other dumb shit - 2/10

Food was epic but westopher can't flirt with me worth shit. or it's the other way around. 2/10 will go back

Last edited by bcrdukes; 01-16-2017 at 09:26 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2017, 03:28 PM   #7621

Value best explained was my experience when I took my boss at Japanese omakase: (eg//Sushi Bar Maumi).

Food is top notch quality & experiencing the chef making each piece when you eat on great piece of sushi, awesome.

Paying premium omakase for $80 and still feel only 65% full after 2 hours, not so much.

Two different spectrum of value yes Vancouverite are foodie snobs.

PS: Took my boss back again and he insisted to order 2 orders of the premium omakase for himself to be full. ahahah
Old 01-16-2017, 04:16 PM   #7622
RS Veteran

You are comparing a cuisine that is based on carbs and protein (sushi) to a very confused fru-fru type of modern cooking and use that as a baseline for value?

You, sir, are a very misinformed and mislead individual.

This post thanked by:
Old 01-20-2017, 11:28 AM   #7623
God of Unce

Where's the best place around here to get a finely crafted old fashioned or negroni?
Old 01-23-2017, 07:22 AM   #7624
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
captains boil

too salty for captains boil flavour on mild..... way way too salty imo

clams are garbage and small, a lot of closed dead ones

mussels were really big

shrimp was meh, sausage is sausage lmao

crab was good but was too much sauce that made it too salty imo

get the chicken slices

is a once place that I must go but never come back type of place

5/10

boston pizza near BC place

havent been to one in a while and hoped it changed its menu, been super super long, last resort place to eat at 1am

nope, traveled back in time to 2001 LOL....

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.

Last edited by Verdasco; 01-23-2017 at 08:42 AM.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:16 PM   #7625
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,191 Times in 2,411 Posts
I can't imagine how shitty and overpriced the quality all these 'seafood boil' places are since there's no way to get fresh crawfish here.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote