REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 11-02-2016, 01:26 PM   #7476
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
I actually got food poisoning eating the crab and oysters at Caesars. Had the runs all night.

Wicked Spoon is awesome, it was $40? Last time I went I remember it was only $25 or so and loved that it came with a complimentary mimosa.

Milos is very good, I had the lobster linguini, very yummy.

In'n Out and White Castle (even McDonalds) in Vegas is garbage. It's like they know they cater to drunk-asses so they stopped giving a shit.
The White Castle sliders I got were dryer than cardboard, had to throw most of it away, it was WAY better in New York. Same with In'n Out, the ones I went to in Los Angeles were better.
it is because you went on a weekday, they charge differently on weekends

Quote:
Wicked Spoon offers diners a daily brunch, which is available from Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. for $24.00 plus tax as well as Saturday and Sunday from 8:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. for $38.00.
never knew in n out was bad in las vegas, first time trying it out
Advertisement

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:29 PM   #7477
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
What/where is the closest Michelin star restaurant to Vancouver?
Old 11-02-2016, 06:39 PM   #7478
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,141 Times in 7,148 Posts
Do you mean closest to michelin star quality in Vancouver? Or closest in proximity that has a michelin star?
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:12 PM   #7479

Originally the latter, but if you have insight on both thats even better.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:17 PM   #7480
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ed_restaurants
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:38 PM   #7481
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,141 Times in 7,148 Posts
I was going to suggest Saison in San Fran (someone who worked with me worked there for the year when they were voted best restaurant in North America!)
Grace in chicago is on my list of places to try because Curtis Duffy is one of the hardest working, most humble chefs to ever walk this earth.
Obviously French Laundry because Keller is literally the God of food in N/A, and TFL is what made him what her is.

As for locally, its hard to say. Hawksworth is probably the closest you'd get, but I don't think they are consistent enough to warrant it, especially lately.

L'abbatior perhaps. Great food, and a much cooler atmosphere than many fine dining places offer.

Savio Volpe sounds like its my idea of the best restaurant in Vancouver as of late, but I've been too busy to try it.

Cinara was the best meal and service I have had lately by a long shot, and Lucias Syme is one of my favourite chef's in the city. Classic, polished, and just a cool guy.

Bahaus sounds like it carries that classic european style that the michelin guide loves so much. A great chef who worked for me before is killing it there. I believe as a junior sous chef. I haven't been there unfortunately, because I can't fucking afford it on a chef's salary haha.

Bao Bei is not michelin like service or food, but one of the guaranteed best experiences you will have in a restaurant if you appreciate a lot of creativity going with good flavours.

Kissa Tanto just won best new restaurant in Canada, also from the owners of Bao bei.

This list should be enough to kill a few paycheques haha.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:04 PM   #7482

^Thanks! I caught the Michelin bug recently.

That wiki link was a good start, but was hoping to see one giant list since the wiki doesnt show one star restaurants.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:55 PM   #7483
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Did not know that Canada has ZERO on the list.

Will slowly work on those suggestions westopher... very slowly lol. Been meaning to try Savio and Bao Bei, not sure why I never got around to it. Oh yes I know why, no time and no money.
Of those mentioned I've only been to Hawksworth and it was good, but in terms of "Michelin quality" I think my vote would go to Le Crocodile, I was very impressed by the food and service there.

I think the only real 3-star restaurant I went to was Le Bernadin in New York and that set me pretty far back ... instant noodles for weeks!
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:02 PM   #7484
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic_Phantom View Post
Why do people in Vegas go for mcd or whatever for burgers instead of Gordon Ramsey or that place with the fois gras burger
Totally agree with you. If I could re-do that disgusting McDonalds cardboard meal I definitely would have went to Earl of Sandwich instead, but it was like 5am coming back from EDC and I was tired so we saw a McDicks and got drive through. What a huge mistake. The big mac and nuggets were absolute shit. Dry and pastey, couldn't eat any of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonydakiller View Post
when you say caesar? did you mean bacchanal buffet?
Yes the new revamped Bacchanal Buffet. I went the first time when it was just newly reopened and it was awesome, then I guess it quickly went downhill since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post
my friends in van recommended me shake shack, my friend at the trip said shake shack, we just didnt have enough time and decided to eat elsewhere. Will try it next time.
It wasn't open yet when I went, but I really hope it doesn't take the "cuz Vegas route" because I loved it when I had it in Times Square.
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:08 AM   #7485
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
Did not know that Canada has ZERO on the list.

Will slowly work on those suggestions westopher... very slowly lol. Been meaning to try Savio and Bao Bei, not sure why I never got around to it. Oh yes I know why, no time and no money.
Of those mentioned I've only been to Hawksworth and it was good, but in terms of "Michelin quality" I think my vote would go to Le Crocodile, I was very impressed by the food and service there.

I think the only real 3-star restaurant I went to was Le Bernadin in New York and that set me pretty far back ... instant noodles for weeks!
they have zero because the guide doesn't do their ratings here, not because no restaurants are at that level. hell even street food is getting michelin stars in asia, the whole system is watered down in some places
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-03-2016, 08:22 AM   #7486
God of Unce

ZERO for Canada?

C'mon westopher, we waitin'
Old 11-03-2016, 08:30 AM   #7487
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Blasphemy! How can one of the best cities in the world not have a Michelin star restaurant. Thought we were a metropolis.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:42 AM   #7488
God of Unce

^ Because no Uber

Anyways.. looking for some comfy food to eat in this weather.

Getting sick of hotpot and noodle soups etc.. any other ideas?
Old 11-03-2016, 08:48 AM   #7489
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,170 Times in 2,403 Posts
The Willows Inn on Lummi Island has been on my list for awhile. Head chef worked under Rene Redzepi and brought the philosophy to the west coast.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-03-2016, 03:35 PM   #7490
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,161 Times in 301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Foie burger was garbage at Holsteins, not like I should have expected much from foie on a burger.

6/10
Never actually had it. I hear about it constantly though. Still, there is Gordon Ramsays, or Earl of Sandwich which still beats MCD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
Originally the latter, but if you have insight on both thats even better.
I think in addition to Westopher's list, The Pear Tree deserves an honourable mention. Not sure if it actually deserves one star but the food is top notch. And the lobster cappuccino is
Galactic_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:38 PM   #7491
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
The foie burger was decadent and decent but for me I like my foie semi runny. The foie on the burger seemed like it came out of a package from a supermarket or somthing, just kinda felt generic

Last edited by Hondaracer; 11-03-2016 at 04:46 PM.
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 05:09 PM   #7492
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I went to savio a few months back. It's a 7/10 at best. The place is beautiful but the food was just ok
kr4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 05:12 PM   #7493

Great suggestions everyone! Going to start tackling this giant list of places. I wish I was back on vacation when the cost of a meal didn't matter to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
The Willows Inn on Lummi Island has been on my list for awhile. Head chef worked under Rene Redzepi and brought the philosophy to the west coast.
Definitely on my list now, $195 tasting menu + $90 wine pairing/$40 juice pairing + tip/tax.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:06 AM   #7494
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,170 Times in 2,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
Definitely on my list now, $195 tasting menu + $90 wine pairing/$40 juice pairing + tip/tax.
USD tho
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2016, 12:23 PM   #7495
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,897 Posts
Baoguette, Kerrisdale Location - https://www.yelp.ca/biz/baoguette-vi...ro-vancouver-3

Pretty decent, had their lemon grass bahn mi, wings, and a house roll. Good prices, busy place, lots of vegetarian options, food was great. 8.5/10
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2016, 12:39 PM   #7496
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
Quote:
USD tho
From what I've heard seems like great value for the price even in USD
Old 11-04-2016, 02:14 PM   #7497
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

House Special on Yaletown. "Vietnamese" restaurant but it seems like they took a bunch of different cuisines from different places in Asia. Although it is a little pricey, I think it is definitely worth trying. The Luc Lac was very tender!

www.instagram.com/yourdigitalrealtor
alwayslive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 04:20 PM   #7498
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I was going to suggest Saison in San Fran (someone who worked with me worked there for the year when they were voted best restaurant in North America!)
Grace in chicago is on my list of places to try because Curtis Duffy is one of the hardest working, most humble chefs to ever walk this earth.
Obviously French Laundry because Keller is literally the God of food in N/A, and TFL is what made him what her is.

As for locally, its hard to say. Hawksworth is probably the closest you'd get, but I don't think they are consistent enough to warrant it, especially lately.

L'abbatior perhaps. Great food, and a much cooler atmosphere than many fine dining places offer.

Savio Volpe sounds like its my idea of the best restaurant in Vancouver as of late, but I've been too busy to try it.

Cinara was the best meal and service I have had lately by a long shot, and Lucias Syme is one of my favourite chef's in the city. Classic, polished, and just a cool guy.

Bahaus sounds like it carries that classic european style that the michelin guide loves so much. A great chef who worked for me before is killing it there. I believe as a junior sous chef. I haven't been there unfortunately, because I can't fucking afford it on a chef's salary haha.

Bao Bei is not michelin like service or food, but one of the guaranteed best experiences you will have in a restaurant if you appreciate a lot of creativity going with good flavours.

Kissa Tanto just won best new restaurant in Canada, also from the owners of Bao bei.

This list should be enough to kill a few paycheques haha.
That is a pretty good list Westopher. Definitely some of the most hyped restaurants in Vancouver. I have only tried Bao Bei and Savio Volpe on that list. Neither surprisingly blew me away. 8/10 for Savio, maybe a 7.5/10 for Bao Bei.

Really want to try L'abbatoir but haven't had a chance yet. I've actually found that some of my favorite meals in Vancouver over the years have been at what would be considered "2nd tier" restaurants. Places that maybe don't have all the accolades, but deliver excellent food, drinks, and service in a really pleasant environment. I suppose that the list you made were restaurants that would be the closest attempt to a Michelan star.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2016, 10:53 PM   #7499

Quote:
USD tho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
From what I've heard seems like great value for the price even in USD
like just under $400 CAD for the juice pairing after tip and tax for one person, approx. 22 "courses"

Old 11-07-2016, 05:58 AM   #7500
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,897 Posts
Kongee Dinesty in Richmond, Garden City and Capstan. Pretty good place, clean, food was good. Had their signature 2 items in a big stone bowl of congee, lots of stuff in it. Prices are reasonable. Think of it as an upscale No. 9. Give it an 8/10.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote