REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 02-08-2018, 01:53 AM   #7951
I STILL don't get it

Interesting about Black & Blue, curious to know where you’d recommend for good steak? Beside Gotham, I really like the quality of steak there.
Advertisement

Last edited by R. Mutt; 02-08-2018 at 02:08 AM.
R. Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:49 AM   #7952
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Hy's

Black & blue sucks
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2018, 11:24 AM   #7953
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
Gotham sucks.

feels like fucking Denny's with all the kids running around, seems like fob's or whoever they are just hear its the go-to steak house and grab a table for 15 with 5 fucking kids running up and down the aisle.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:31 AM   #7954
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Cafe de l'Orangerie, 73rd and Hudson. 9/10 and that's because I generally don't give 10/10, saving it for that first time I go to a Michelin Star restaurant.

Cafe de L'Orangerie » Our Menus
Michelin Stars are overrated. I wouldn't hold super high expectations...

Unless you hit up a 3 star where the level of service jumps dramatically, but its going to cost you an arm and a leg and pretentious as hell.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2018, 12:13 PM   #7955
I STILL don't get it

Been to Hy’s several times as I used to live on Hornby. I’d always get the ribeye. It was good but didn’t really think much else of it. The first time I ate at Black & Blue was around three years ago but I distinctly remember the Wagyu was really good. Funny thing is I went a couple months later and for whatever reason the cut wasn’t nearly as good as the first time. The last two times I went with the ribeye was good though. Right up there with Hy’s so i’m surprised that many consider it garbage. I’ve never been to Gotham but guess it’s not worth checking out.
R. Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:29 PM   #7956
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Mutt View Post
Interesting about Black & Blue, curious to know where you’d recommend for good steak? Beside Gotham, I really like the quality of steak there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
Hy's
Black & blue sucks
I agree that Hy's is probably my go-to for steakhouse. I miss Morton's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Gotham sucks.
feels like fucking Denny's with all the kids running around, seems like fob's or whoever they are just hear its the go-to steak house and grab a table for 15 with 5 fucking kids running up and down the aisle.
If money isn't a factor I actually like the steaks at Gothams the most however every item on the menu is significantly more expensive.
I've only been to Gotham once many years back and there were no children to spoil the experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Mutt View Post
Been to Hy’s several times as I used to live on Hornby. I’d always get the ribeye. It was good but didn’t really think much else of it. The first time I ate at Black & Blue was around three years ago but I distinctly remember the Wagyu was really good. Funny thing is I went a couple months later and for whatever reason the cut wasn’t nearly as good as the first time. The last two times I went with the ribeye was good though. Right up there with Hy’s so i’m surprised that many consider it garbage. I’ve never been to Gotham but guess it’s not worth checking out.
The cheese bread ... lol I've been to Black & Blue and was disappointed with everything. The main attraction, the steak had no sear and was not juicy.

"Dream as if you will live forever, Live as if tomorrow will be your last." ~ James Dean

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." ~ Ferdinand Porsche

There is no substitute.

History
1982 Toyota Corolla
2000 Honda SiR
2002 Lexus IS300
1989 Honda Civic
1986 Toyota AE86 頭文字 (イニシャル) D
2000 Porsche 996
2015 Cayman S
Current
2017 Boxter 718
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:00 PM   #7957
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
Quote:
Gotham sucks.

i'd be so god damn pissed if this happened,i showed up at lunch time and it was All adults,fuck that bullshit.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:05 PM   #7958

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
I agree that Hy's is probably my go-to for steakhouse. I miss Morton's

If money isn't a factor I actually like the steaks at Gothams the most however every item on the menu is significantly more expensive.
I've only been to Gotham once many years back and there were no children to spoil the experience.

The cheese bread ... lol I've been to Black & Blue and was disappointed with everything. The main attraction, the steak had no sear and was not juicy.
I wish I tried Morton's I always hear good things about them. Even their other locations. I tried to convince the misses when we were in Vegas but she wanted to stay on the strip.

I think the only time I wasn't disappointed with Black&Blue was when they first opened. But then again my palate was still fresh now that I look back. LOL. But since then they haven't been good at all and the service sucked. Last time I went was a year ago for wife's Christmas dinner and was everyone's first time and they all complained.
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:15 PM   #7959
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expresso View Post
Michelin Stars are overrated. I wouldn't hold super high expectations...

Unless you hit up a 3 star where the level of service jumps dramatically, but its going to cost you an arm and a leg and pretentious as hell.
Worst meal we had in San Fran was a Michelin star restaurant.
I’m absolutely not exaggerating when I say it sucked.
Service was cold, food was ok, and the fucking dipshit food bloggers next to us with 10k worth of camera equipment their parents bought them that the entire restaurant staff was pandering to was an embarrassment. $300 later I wondered why the fuck I didn’t get tacos.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2018, 09:12 PM   #7960

Best dining experiences for me were at Michelin stars.

Tour de’ argent and I believe it was caffe or cafee somthing of the like..

Tour is an institution and honestly if a place like hys or croc is considered good service in van, tour is literally 10x that. 5 people serve you before you take your seat, fresh folded napkins are presented if you return and leave to your seat and yours hands dried in the bathroom etc. the novelty of the experience overweighed the food. Even if it wasn’t the best meal I’d ever have (which at the time it probably was) everything else made up for the experience. The staff could not have been more professional.

Caffee or whatever was just execellent and a completely enjoyable experience.

There is a bit of the lust of traveling and being in these places but it felt like a magical experience tbh
Old 02-09-2018, 11:19 PM   #7961
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Ah that sucks to hear Westopher I guess even Michelin's can be hit or miss.

Personally my one and only 3 Michelin Star dining was Le Bernardin in New York and it cost many arms and even more legs but it was definitely worth the experience.

I ordered Chef Eric Ripert's Tasting menu which was a 10-course journey.
From the Langoustine in Truffle creme fraiche, Monkfish, escolar tuna, wagyu, osetra caviar... Every bite of every dish was borderline orgasmic. The service was top-notch and super friendly without being pretentious or snobby. As Hondaracer pointed out, fresh napkins folded as soon as you get up, chairs pulled out on your return. There were like 5 sommeliers walking around greeting customers. They were all very knowledgeable and again super friendly, paired a couple glasses for me that actually weren't that expensive and delicious. I never once got a the vibe I didn't belong there even though we were easily the youngest (and probably poorest) couple in the restaurant.
At the end of the meal they even surprised us with a special extra 11th course, a complimentary golden chocolate dessert tree/tower thingy that had 'Happy Anniversary' written on it because I had casually mentioned to them it was our anniversary. Talk about wow.

Would I go back?... uhh not anytime soon, hopefully I'll win the lottery?
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:00 PM   #7962

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
Myst Asian Fusion - Decent price similar to any other asian cafe type restaurant $10-15 range for a meal. Service extremely well. 2.5 hour dinner weekday and they kept refilling our tea. Definitely will go back. 10/10.
went there for the first time and it was horrible... got the fried noodles and no flavor.... beef noodle soup and it tasted like beef noodle water, bland as hell. Food is pricey compared to pearl castle or other places. More pricey and not as good. Don't think I am going back

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:01 PM   #7963

Thanked 4,532 Times in 1,519 Posts
Richmond Ackroyd White Spot 5/10

Maybe I've been spoiled by dineout, and I've never really liked big chain restaurants, but the food is mediocre - at best.

Had the chicken breast fettuccine and my brother had the baby back ribs. "It's meh, I guess."

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:54 PM   #7964
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
Went to bao bei tonight.
Solid 10/10
Food was perfect, service was great, great vibe and totally reasonable price.
Fucking love that place.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:36 PM   #7965
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Worst meal we had in San Fran was a Michelin star restaurant.
I’m absolutely not exaggerating when I say it sucked.
Service was cold, food was ok, and the fucking dipshit food bloggers next to us with 10k worth of camera equipment their parents bought them that the entire restaurant staff was pandering to was an embarrassment. $300 later I wondered why the fuck I didn’t get tacos.
Which one?
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:00 PM   #7966
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Went to Boiling Point for my mom's birthday lunch. Ordered the Curry cream hot, but I think someone overdid the spice a bit. Only managed to really taste the curry broth once the heater died out and everything was lukewarm. Mix of hot soup and heat killed the flavor but at least the stuff in it was alright.

6.5/10
Old 02-12-2018, 06:54 PM   #7967
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Quote:
Gotham sucks.

I've never gone back to gothams for this reason. But it isn't all the Chinese's fault. You get white people doing that shit too. You know, the ones with proud dad's walking their kids up the aisle with mom kneeling down almost falling backwards into a waiter and having a steak dropped on her head?

I don't hate parents; I hate inconsiderate people who don't know there's a time and place for things.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2018, 09:02 PM   #7968
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
any of you guys in VAN try bin 4 yet, burger place that started in VIC. On the island you can go after 9 and get every meal for half price. So for a decent burger and fries and a op or beer its like 11 bucks
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:48 AM   #7969

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZN6 View Post
I've never gone back to gothams for this reason. But it isn't all the Chinese's fault. You get white people doing that shit too. You know, the ones with proud dad's walking their kids up the aisle with mom kneeling down almost falling backwards into a waiter and having a steak dropped on her head?

I don't hate parents; I hate inconsiderate people who don't know there's a time and place for things.
it's ignorant to bring kids to a place like that imo. it's not a place for kids. Personally i'd be embarrassed to go to a place like that with someone who brought children with them. Although i'm fairly certain everyone i ever dine out with would be smart enough to realize that.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:48 PM   #7970

Thanked 4,532 Times in 1,519 Posts
About a week overdue: Nammos Estiatorio - $30 on DoV Menu - 7/10

Initial impressions was that portion sizes weren't enough, as expected from DoV, but after dessert, we were more than satisfied. I usually don't like the taste of lamb or carrots, but they did this one so well, I could have cleaned the plate. I'm also allergic to cheap seafood with preservatives and crap, but I tried the salmon here as well, and it tastes pretty fresh.

I'd go back, but probably not with family. My parents were pretty uncomfortable with how we were the only Chinese people there LOL.
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:38 PM   #7971
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Jinya Burnaby

7/10

A regular on robson. Jinya's broth for sprout ramen in burnaby was soo salty this time.. I think ill just stick with the DT location

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal0g0dv2 View Post
any of you guys in VAN try bin 4 yet, burger place that started in VIC. On the island you can go after 9 and get every meal for half price. So for a decent burger and fries and a op or beer its like 11 bucks
was going to ask about this too. bin4 on the island is really good but i heard the new location on granville is not that great. still needs improvement
guurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:55 PM   #7972
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZN6 View Post
But it isn't all the Chinese's fault.
Yes it is
DoughBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:25 PM   #7973

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
dinesty , I only go to richmond and love their shanghai noodles and steamed pork slices, obvs xiao long bao,

cheap price for great quality , always come with my girlfriend

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:01 AM   #7974
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
Hida Takayama Ramen

1610 Robson St: famous for their white sesame ramen... they will be closing permanently Dec 17 (or 18), so sad to see them go.
FYI, their Robson location's back. But doesn't seem to be operated by original owner anymore. Went yesterday and prices are up (about $9.50 for a shoyu), portion sizes seems to have been reduced (less noodles). Their stamp card program might be gone as well. At least I didn't see them by the cashier anymore.

Only saving grace was the pork which was more marbled compared to what was served before.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:11 AM   #7975
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
FYI, their Robson location's back. But doesn't seem to be operated by original owner anymore. Went yesterday and prices are up (about $9.50 for a shoyu), portion sizes seems to have been reduced (less noodles). Their stamp card program might be gone as well. At least I didn't see them by the cashier anymore.

Only saving grace was the pork which was more marbled compared to what was served before.
WOT?!?! I still have a stamp card with like 6/10 stamps filled. Son, I am disappoint. Their location in east Van closed down pretty quick and that place was already a far cry from the robson location.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote