REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 03-31-2021, 08:31 AM   #8151
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,763 Times in 905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
Joe Fortes 5/10

Not sure what's the hype about this place. Steak was overdone, I asked for medium rare and they gave me well done. Having eaten steak everyday for 3 months, I'm pretty sure I have a really good idea of what medium rare is. Ironically, the steak tasted better after I blasted it in the microwave.

Oysters were alright, not their usual standard apparently. I'm not sure cause I don't eat seafood. Beef carpaccio was alright.

Drinks were very good. But not sure if they were high quality drinks or if I accidentally drugged myself, since I need to take allergy meds when I could potentially eat seafood LOL.
To me Joe Fortes has always been a Vancouver trap. I think my best experience there in my life was like a 6/10. Honorable mentions goes to Kobe, I have zero understanding of why that place is on anyone's must go to list either.
Advertisement

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 09:05 AM   #8152
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Joe Fortes is alright in my books. The review's hardly fair considering the guy doesn't eat seafood and had beef for the better part of his meal.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-01-2021, 07:27 AM   #8153
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
To me Joe Fortes has always been a Vancouver trap. I think my best experience there in my life was like a 6/10. Honorable mentions goes to Kobe, I have zero understanding of why that place is on anyone's must go to list either.
I’ve only been to joes a handful of times but IMO I’ve had better steaks at Cactus than both fortes and Kobe
Old 04-01-2021, 07:33 AM   #8154
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
If you guys are looking for grocery delivery during this time https://shop.legendshaul.com/friends-of-legends.html
This is a friend of mine who is in the restaurant distribution business who carries ready made meals/sauces/etc from our restaurant and other locally owned small restaurants across BC. It’s a good way to support them who have helped us keep people employed doing production this last year and keep them getting these products from local restaurants.
Also, consider hitting up a patio and dress for the weather, get takeout directly from the restaurants and pick up off sales from them as well instead of your BCLC liquor store. Every little bit helps.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-01-2021, 01:31 PM   #8155
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
Been hitting Bells & Whistle lately on Fraser after someone told me it was kid friendly (I have a 2 year old) and it's not just kid friendly but the food is great. The Royale with Cheese burger is like a Shake Shack burger combined with a Big Mac - crispy patties with American cheese and secret sauce that makes it just a touch sloppy. The soft serve is also great - my kid's eyes got saucer sized when she saw it.

Definitely worth visiting (once inside dining reopens) whether you have kids or not as there's lots of grown up food there and great beer selection.
I went there a couple times when they first opened. I found the beer prices a tad higher than most watering holes. I think most pours are around $10-$12 a pop?
The basketball game was fun to play for fun while drinking lol ... I didn't get a chance to eat there, maybe I'll give the burger a try next time, it's not too far from my home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Joe Fortes is definitely better than Kobe, last time (which was a loooooong time ago) I went to Kobe, most of the food was overly salty and way overpriced IMO.
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 01:34 PM   #8156
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post

Joe Fortes is definitely better than Kobe, last time (which was a loooooong time ago) I went to Kobe, most of the food was overly salty and way overpriced IMO.
You shoulda refused to pay part of the bill, like this guy

https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/08...taurant-staff/

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:42 PM   #8157
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
I have no problem going to Joe Fortes; happy hour is always good, I go there at least 5-8 times a year. Good deals and good beer being poured by the bar.

NO you're not getting the hot waitresses but meh. oysters are $1, for happy hour.. i ain't complaining.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:21 AM   #8158
My homepage has been set to RS

Bells & Whistles is in my neighbourhood and I really want them to succeed, but every time I have gone there I have left disappointed. Beer prices are slightly higher, food portions are slightly smaller than other places at the price point. For $18, I want more than 10 fries with my burger if it is going to be served in a plastic basket. Soft serve is good, but I ultimately feel a bit ripped off every time I go. They need to figure out how to provide better value if they want to be a sports bar with burgers and sandwiches.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2021, 09:29 AM   #8159

Everything else in this world has increased in cost. Food is no different, however, I’m of the mindset I’d definitely rather pay $22 and be super stoked on it than pay $18 and not be satisfied. It’s a tough line to tread.
A good friend of mine said. There is no such thing as cheap food. Either the person producing it pays for it with their working conditions, you pay for it with your health, or you pay for it with your money.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2021, 10:29 AM   #8160
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,174 Times in 2,407 Posts
Had Pidgin's 7-course tasting menu + drink pairing over the weekend.

Fun experience that was well packaged and presented, with some DIY stuff at home that made it more engaging. Drink pairing elevated it to be a more special experience.

Was pricey but happy to support a long-time Vancouver staple.

Although I may have left a few of the last courses out too long at room temp, had a bit of the runs the next day (sorry for TMI).
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:02 PM   #8161
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,763 Times in 905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
If you guys are looking for grocery delivery during this time https://shop.legendshaul.com/friends-of-legends.html
This is a friend of mine who is in the restaurant distribution business who carries ready made meals/sauces/etc from our restaurant and other locally owned small restaurants across BC. It’s a good way to support them who have helped us keep people employed doing production this last year and keep them getting these products from local restaurants.
Also, consider hitting up a patio and dress for the weather, get takeout directly from the restaurants and pick up off sales from them as well instead of your BCLC liquor store. Every little bit helps.
I've been supporting them for the past year!

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2021, 12:55 PM   #8162
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
Bells & Whistles is in my neighbourhood and I really want them to succeed, but every time I have gone there I have left disappointed. Beer prices are slightly higher, food portions are slightly smaller than other places at the price point. For $18, I want more than 10 fries with my burger if it is going to be served in a plastic basket. Soft serve is good, but I ultimately feel a bit ripped off every time I go. They need to figure out how to provide better value if they want to be a sports bar with burgers and sandwiches.
I've never looked at their beer prices so I can't comment there but I don't find the pricing to be unreasonable at all. The most comparable place to them is the American on Main (their burgers also rock) and they cost about the same - burger and fries for about $18. Most burger and fries at White Spot (nowhere near as good) go for about $18 as well.

The American does provide a bigger portion for their fries and White Spot has unlimited fries but I'm an old man that can't finish what they serve anyways so portion size doesn't matter to me anymore - I just want good food regardless of serving size.

Last edited by supafamous; 04-07-2021 at 01:13 PM.
supafamous is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2021, 04:26 PM   #8163

The only time I really notice price is when the food is shit

Other than that I wouldn’t really go into any place and think oh this is a couple bucks more than some other place.

Although I will say, I have a hard time tipping when I get sandwiches from Big Star Sandwhich. Basically full take out zero service other than handing you your food but when your paying $15 for a 10 inch sandwhich, tipping the 10-15% as a courtesy for whatever reason is hard for me to stomach when that sandwhich is now costing me 16-17 alone.

Love their sandos though but fuck, the price point is tough
Old 04-07-2021, 04:59 PM   #8164
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
Big Star didn’t blow me away.. only tried it once though.

What I can’t stand is restaurants charging like $20 for a very meh salad as my wife tends to go green. We make waaaay better salads at home. No comparison.

My general restaurant rule is I tend to order things I don’t make at home regularly. Unless I’m at a true steak house, I’m not ordering one, as an example.

Braised short rib is pretty much a must order at any new restaurant I try. Anything unique that grabs my attention, I’ll give it a try. I know White Rock is a journey for many on this forum, but if you’re ever hungry and near the ocean out this way, I recommend the Serrano honey ginger glazed back ribs at Washington Avenue Grill. How do you see that on a menu and not order it? Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-08-2021, 02:23 PM   #8165
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,574 Times in 1,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
The only time I really notice price is when the food is shit

Other than that I wouldn’t really go into any place and think oh this is a couple bucks more than some other place.

Although I will say, I have a hard time tipping when I get sandwiches from Big Star Sandwhich. Basically full take out zero service other than handing you your food but when your paying $15 for a 10 inch sandwhich, tipping the 10-15% as a courtesy for whatever reason is hard for me to stomach when that sandwhich is now costing me 16-17 alone.

Love their sandos though but fuck, the price point is tough
Big Star has always been meh for me. The last turkey club I got from there was terrible, the turkey smelt like goddamn cat food
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 03:34 PM   #8166

Places like that I get stuck on one or two sandwhichs and never try anything else lol..the turkey one with the crispy sticks and Mac sauce is killer. Also like the cold cut one with peppercinis and chipotle

The roast beef one was gross though
Old 04-09-2021, 11:00 AM   #8167
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
I've never looked at their beer prices so I can't comment there but I don't find the pricing to be unreasonable at all. The most comparable place to them is the American on Main (their burgers also rock) and they cost about the same - burger and fries for about $18. Most burger and fries at White Spot (nowhere near as good) go for about $18 as well.

The American does provide a bigger portion for their fries and White Spot has unlimited fries but I'm an old man that can't finish what they serve anyways so portion size doesn't matter to me anymore - I just want good food regardless of serving size.
Their prices aren't unreasonable - I agree with that, just the execution of what you get is lacking. I would rather they charge $20 instead of $18 and I am stuffed at the end of my meal. Potatoes are cheap enough that they could give you more than a couple fries. Or add a bit more lettuce to their salads. Every friend I have taken there loved the vibe and the beer selection but was disappointed with the food.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-09-2021, 01:09 PM   #8168
Ebisu Boss

I don't know about you guys but running out of fries halfway into my burger is a huge turn off haha

I'm a - take a bite of burgers, chase with fries then beer kinda guy.
I know some friends who just eat ALL the fries THEN pick up their burger ...
This post thanked by:
Old 04-09-2021, 01:17 PM   #8169

I eat the med rare burger over my fries so all the juice and sauce drips on the fries, then eat all the fries. If you can put down the burger after the first bite without the entire thing exploding it’s not juicy enough.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 04-09-2021, 04:20 PM   #8170
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,574 Times in 1,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
I don't know about you guys but running out of fries halfway into my burger is a huge turn off haha

I'm a - take a bite of burgers, chase with fries then beer kinda guy.
I know some friends who just eat ALL the fries THEN pick up their burger ...
This entirely. There is no excuse that I should run outta fries before I finish my burger.

My ex used to do the opposite, she'd eat her burger first, then attack the fries. I'd always look at her and go wtf Now your fries are all cold

If you guys are burger heads, you gotta try between2bunsburgers, they make smashed burgers, and they're friggin amazing. The owner is great as well, I visit these dudes every few weeks.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 07:30 AM   #8171
Waxin’ Punks

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I eat the med rare burger over my fries so all the juice and sauce drips on the fries, then eat all the fries. If you can put down the burger after the first bite without the entire thing exploding it’s not juicy enough.
This. Best burgers cannot be put down or they’ll become a soggy mess. I’m not a big eater so I’ll have a few fries first, then attack the burger. Once it’s done I’ll pick at the fries again and likely be full before they’re gone.

Missing med rare burgers with the border closed..

Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2021, 07:34 AM   #8172

Go to the gull in North Vancouver when dine in is back on. The best burgers in Van IMO. They cook them medium, but sometimes you hit the med rare lottery.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2021, 07:44 AM   #8173
Waxin’ Punks

Just checked out the gull’s menu. Looks like a good spot. Want to try to try those pork belly nugz now lol

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-13-2021, 06:45 PM   #8174
Ebisu Boss

They have a patio I might check them out when I have time to hit up North Van. I tend to stay away from crossing the bridge unless I have to... and this burger recommended by westopher just might do it
Old 04-13-2021, 07:57 PM   #8175

Speaking of which, I went for their 5 course tasting menu last Saturday. Amazing meal, amazing service, as always.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote: