REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 04-13-2021, 08:02 PM   #8176
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
If you guys are looking for grocery delivery during this time https://shop.legendshaul.com/friends-of-legends.html
This is a friend of mine who is in the restaurant distribution business who carries ready made meals/sauces/etc from our restaurant and other locally owned small restaurants across BC. It’s a good way to support them who have helped us keep people employed doing production this last year and keep them getting these products from local restaurants.
Also, consider hitting up a patio and dress for the weather, get takeout directly from the restaurants and pick up off sales from them as well instead of your BCLC liquor store. Every little bit helps.
+1

My wife orders from them weekly. Very well packaged. We get eggs, snacks, and chicken from them.
Advertisement
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2021, 02:17 PM   #8177
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
OEB in Brentwood

0/10

Tried once before to get in on a Sunday. Four hour wait. Tried again today. Three hour wait. Wanted to just get takeout and go eat with my family in the plaza above. Hour and a half, didn't even bother. Fuck that place. They should be rotating those tables faster knowing how busy they are but they just let parties sit and chat for an hour after they finish eating.

I expected some wait to get in, but three fucking hours for what is probably overhyped brunch? They can go fuck themselves.
Old 07-25-2021, 09:46 PM   #8178
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,141 Times in 7,148 Posts
They’re busy. What the fuck are they supposed to do? People are willing to wait, you aren’t. Get over it. I don’t like waiting either but I sure as shit can’t badmouth something I’ve never even tried.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.

Last edited by westopher; 07-25-2021 at 09:52 PM.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-26-2021, 12:51 PM   #8179
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,560 Times in 1,710 Posts
Ya man, the food is great there.

Go on a weekday, you'll get a table without issue.

The weekend, forget about it.
mikemhg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:07 AM   #8180
"Entertainment" mod.

Quote:
They’re busy. What the fuck are they supposed to do? People are willing to wait, you aren’t. Get over it. I don’t like waiting either but I sure as shit can’t badmouth something I’ve never even tried.
Something as basic as a reservation system would be nice instead of doing a wait list on weekends. If it was 30-45 minutes to get take out I would have stuck it out and ate in the plaza above. I was in for a wait time that put us at 2pm. They close at 3pm. So I get a shitty experience where I have to rush and not enjoy it after skipping breakfast because the place is brunch? It sounds like a recipe to leave a bad impression anyways. I have patience to wait, but that isn’t worth blowing over half my day over. “Go earlier to avoid a line.” It’s food, not the release of the PS5. “Just go somewhere else.” Kinda hard to do when everyone hypes the place and you want to give it a shot, but after that, no thanks.

My brother lives just up the street from Jam Cafe and he says the wait isn’t like this on weekends by comparison. If it turns into another four hour waiting shut show, I’ll just leave my sit down breakfast benchmark at a hole in the wall place in Langley. I have respect for the success of the place but matching my expectations to their hype is not for me. I just wanted to spend the time with my family and we all got visibly stressed at the wait time as just a party of three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
Ya man, the food is great there.

Go on a weekday, you'll get a table without issue.

The weekend, forget about it.
My entire family works weekdays, not an option. Doesn’t make sense to lose a days pay for this.

Last edited by CorneringArtist; 07-27-2021 at 09:24 AM.
CorneringArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:15 AM   #8181

Lots of people don’t show up for reservations and it means empty seats while you scramble around with the wait list to get the next person to come earlier. That means less money.
If they put your name on the list for 3 they aren’t gonna have you show up and lock the doors. If they did your anger would be warranted, but you’re just looking to get mad at something that didn’t even happen yet.
For the record I don’t think it’s worth the wait anyways, but they are just running a business for their customers. If you don’t want to be one, that’s not their fault.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 07-27-2021, 12:26 PM   #8182
"Entertainment" mod.

Full disclosure I appreciate your perspective from an industry point of view.
Old 07-27-2021, 12:42 PM   #8183

Thanks man. I’m not trying to bust your balls. I’ve just been on the receiving end of a lot of internet opinions about how I’m a piece of shit and my staff are all pieces of shit and suck at our jobs, for things that are really out of our control. Very often our 1 star reviews on yelp/wherever the fuck are people that never walked through the door, which I think is truly unfair.
If somewhere genuinely treats a customer poorly, lies about the source of ingredients, serves you something that’s not safe for consumption, etc. they deserve to get dragged.
But when you think about us serving 4-500 people a day, and someone just doesn’t like it, or waits too long, etc. to have them really insult us (which happens often) is an unreasonable reaction.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 07-27-2021, 12:53 PM   #8184
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,170 Times in 2,403 Posts
Yah restaurants are in a tough spot, the ones that have survived are now trying to scale back up but are having a tough time hiring across the board, and not for the lack of trying. Ex restaurant workers have found other gigs, or have gotten accustomed to CERB and other wage subsidies to stretch their dollar before they have to work again.

Restaurants can't raise wages to attract back workers without raising prices, which would get even more complaints. This was also an issue even before COVID.

They can't keep wages as-is, coz they'll perpetually be short-staffed. Plus coming out of COVID, some people seem to have forgotten how to be civilized, which doesn't help things.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 01:02 PM   #8185

Yep. It was an industry problem long before covid. It’s hard to operate in Vancouver and make your margins, as there are plenty of real estate developers operating restaurants at a loss that
A) isn’t enough to matter for them
B) works nicely for tax purposes
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-27-2021, 01:36 PM   #8186
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Not exactly the same thing but I've been trying to reach out to caterers and a lot of them are having a hard time ramping up staff. It's been really tough for the industry. And with people starting to dine out again, people will take the time to enjoy the moment.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:31 PM   #8187
"Entertainment" mod.

Quote:
Thanks man. I’m not trying to bust your balls. I’ve just been on the receiving end of a lot of internet opinions about how I’m a piece of shit and my staff are all pieces of shit and suck at our jobs, for things that are really out of our control. Very often our 1 star reviews on yelp/wherever the fuck are people that never walked through the door, which I think is truly unfair.
If somewhere genuinely treats a customer poorly, lies about the source of ingredients, serves you something that’s not safe for consumption, etc. they deserve to get dragged.
But when you think about us serving 4-500 people a day, and someone just doesn’t like it, or waits too long, etc. to have them really insult us (which happens often) is an unreasonable reaction.
I truly get it, it's a pain in the ass for the restaurant industry right now. Where my anger was directed was trying to get on the wait list while seeing multiple tables cleared and the patrons just shooting the shit with no drinks in hand. We walked by half an hour later (let's face it, Brentwood is a dead mall right now so there really isn't anything better to do but walk around), to see the same patrons still there. My logic is you're done, get out, and continue your conversation where the nice plaza is above so someone else can try the food you just had. I would have been fine waiting for a long time for my order if I was able to get in. It's not McDonalds where you can sit all day after just buying a coffee.

I guess that's a people in general problem, but there are a few out there who are not considerate enough to read the room.
Old 08-22-2021, 11:32 PM   #8188
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Tried this place in Richmond after watching this video, it was surprisingly good!

Better call before getting there because it's a tiny restaurant.
We had their seafood tower and fish & chips plus a hand cut noodle to go with the sauce.
The tower had a dungeness crab, 4 really large skrewered prawns, mussels clams and conch.
Will visit again.

Last edited by miky; 08-22-2021 at 11:37 PM.
miky is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2021, 12:09 AM   #8189
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,518 Posts
Speaking of Richmond and night market style foods

I went to Gong last night. They sell late night dim sum, beer and spiked Vita (Lemon, Mango, Malt Soy, and Lychee).

Late night dim sum is bomb as fuck. Especially bottles of Henny and beer. The spiked Vita, don't drink it too fast. I fucked up by drinking it too quick and I basically had 80% kraken, 20% Vita Lemon. Kraken is disgusting.

The har gao, BBQ pork buns, HK curry fish balls, and deep fried scallops were delicious. The cucumber is not the same cucumber you get at happy tree house btw. Happy tree cucumber cools you down. This one is SPICY (strong pain, short duration) The fish cakes are SPICY (strong pain, long duration) too.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2021, 05:08 PM   #8190
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Giovane Bacaro @ Fairmont - This was only like my 3rd dine in experience since the pandemic started and I forgot how much I actually enjoyed dining in. Great food, some of the best I've had in a while which honestly I don't know what that means right now because I've been cooking or eating take out for a year and a half lol. Still I think even pre pandemic I would rate it high and not just be blinded by not dining out for so long.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2021, 05:16 PM   #8191

The chef there is super talented and uses some of the best suppliers around. It would wow you regardless.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2021, 07:40 PM   #8192
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,318 Times in 5,637 Posts
Ate at wallys burger for lunch today in this little strip mall on east 49th

Pretty good! It’s like a diner/5 guys type of burger but hard to beat the price, a real bacon cheese burger and too many fries to eat for $12

Running out of places for lunch, I can basically drive anywhere between Victoria in east Van and School house in Coquitlam for food. Gotta find some new spots
Old 08-26-2021, 01:34 PM   #8193
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miky View Post
https://youtu.be/FowbdWKrwLg

Tried this place in Richmond after watching this video, it was surprisingly good!

Better call before getting there because it's a tiny restaurant.
We had their seafood tower and fish & chips plus a hand cut noodle to go with the sauce.
The tower had a dungeness crab, 4 really large skrewered prawns, mussels clams and conch.
Will visit again.
The stores on Alexandra street open and close so fast I can barely keep track. It seems every time I drive through there it's a bunch new restaurants I never saw before.

"Dream as if you will live forever, Live as if tomorrow will be your last." ~ James Dean

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." ~ Ferdinand Porsche

There is no substitute.

History
1982 Toyota Corolla
2000 Honda SiR
2002 Lexus IS300
1989 Honda Civic
1986 Toyota AE86 頭文字 (イニシャル) D
2000 Porsche 996
2015 Cayman S
Current
2017 Boxter 718
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 05:22 PM   #8194
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,897 Posts
Supababa - https://vancouver.eatsuperbaba.com/
Basically have 4 things on the menu, same thing in a wrap or bowl format. Must try the tempura egg plant though! Give it an 8. Helluva place to park and pick up though cuz of the construction.

Looks kinda like this
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2021, 05:31 PM   #8195

Superbaba is DOPE. Chicken wrap, double extra hot sauce is my jam.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2021, 09:29 PM   #8196
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
Went to Mian Tiao downtown at Shangri La.

It used to be George's /across from the Key.
1) Italian Chinese fusion
2) really really hot ladies (the customers), really blown away.
3) Food was really sub par to be honest.

The fushion really wasn't my cup of tea.
WORSE rip off I had was 4 mini slices of sub par focaccia bread
4 slices of salami, 4 slices of parma ham, 4 pieces of pepperoni
no EVOO, no pickles, nothing, just 2 plates and no decoration. $30.

They had some awesome dishes but I was not that impressed at all.
Will post pics but it was nothing to rave about really.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 06:43 AM   #8197
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Never thought I'd see a fusion restaurant of Italian Chinese.

Growing up in East Van, we lived in a neighborhood of Italian immigrants. Over the years, they would adopt and infuse Chinese ingredients and food prep techniques into their staple meals. It was pretty weird but they seemed to like it haha
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 08:13 AM   #8198
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,376 Times in 1,228 Posts
Kisso Tanto is Italian Japanese
Mak N Ming was French Japanese

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 08:26 AM   #8199
My homepage has been set to RS

Agreed about Superbaba. I always went to their location at the BC Ferries building when I was in Victoria, was so excited when they opened up on Main Street. Probably ate there 5 or 6 times since they opened. Their bowls are good, but the wraps are where it is at. Freshly baked pita

Finally tried Yasma on West 4th. Operating as a ghost kitchen out of Dark Table. I don't even know what to say, some of the best middle eastern food I have had. Not only is the presentation spot on for takeout, but the flavours and execution really wowed me. Lamb burger was cooked medium with just a hint of pink, probably one of the best burgers I have had in Vancouver as most places are over hyped and don't deliver. Also tried a few of their dips including the muhamarra which I had never had before, along with the fried kibbeh.

This place is seriously underrated and everyone should try it out. I would give it a solid 9/10.
Liquid_o2 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2021, 10:43 AM   #8200
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,318 Times in 5,637 Posts
Peppinos, 9/10

Peppinos is legit one of my favourite restys in east Van. They know exactly what they are and just focus on fantastic food and service. Have necer had a bad meal there whether it be take out or dine in. And imo they have some of the best Pizza in the city