REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 08-25-2016, 12:40 AM   #301
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts

I hand picked this place as one of the places we had to try, so I got the Black Label Burger, while the gf got some fish (), and we had the roast bone marrow to share.

Left the place so full and happy before we took an hour long walk back to Times Square
Advertisement
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:33 AM   #302
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Going to NY for the first time since I was a kid, not big on brand name shopping. Just want to take in the sights and eat some good food! Gonna be there for 2 nights,3 days so time is quite limited I assume. Any MUST see/eat places?

Btw does anyone have any experience with the Costco NY city passes? Any reviews? Thanks!

https://www.costco.ca/New-York-CityP...100163394.html

https://www.costco.ca/New-York-City-...100173074.html
wingies is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2017, 11:00 AM   #303
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingies View Post
Going to NY for the first time since I was a kid, not big on brand name shopping. Just want to take in the sights and eat some good food! Gonna be there for 2 nights,3 days so time is quite limited I assume. Any MUST see/eat places?

Btw does anyone have any experience with the Costco NY city passes? Any reviews? Thanks!

https://www.costco.ca/New-York-CityP...100163394.html

https://www.costco.ca/New-York-City-...100173074.html
I've never used the CityPass before but I'll throw in my 2 cents on the attractions that they cover that I've been to. They are legit though since they have these passes for pretty much every major city in the US:

*Empire State Building: The lines here are LONG. I've been up there 3 times already and each time, it's taken about 2 hours before you reach the top. I don't know if the City Pass allows this but try shell out the extra for VIP or go super late at night. Last time I went, we went up just after midnight and there were no lines. View up there is amazing though, especially if you get up there during sunset.

*Met museum is pretty cool. Even for an uncultured simpleton like me. Could spend a whole day in there if you wanted. It's that big. Also, local tip - the admission "price" is actually just a suggestion. You can pay whatever you want. :P

*Top of the Rock: I haven't done this but a few local friends tell me this is the better option compared to Empire State Building if you don't want to fight the lines.

*Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty: If you want to climb the Statue of Liberty, book way in advance. I don't know if CityPass covers the climb up. It's usually extra. I'm assuming CityPass is a "pre purchased" ticket. If it's not (i.e. you have to redeem a voucher), then try do it in advance. In the summer, the lines for it can get crazy.

*Intrepid Musem: This one is just meh. Kind of OK if you're into aircraft/aircraft carriers. There's a space shuttle exhibit there too if you want to check it out. Not much of a wait so it may be a good filler stop if you have time to kill.

The must see places are probably all the iconic places you see on TV: Times Square at night is probably top of my list. Maybe also Rockefeller Centre (since it's in the area), Radio City Music Hall and Broadway (catch a show - there's tons of them but the more popular ones will require you to book in advance since your schedule is so tight) All these are probably with 10-20 mins walk of each other so it's pretty close.

The 9/11 memorial (the former WTC site) was very interesting too, especially if you witnessed this unfold. The atmosphere in there is eerily somber it gave me goosebumps. Not sure why but it was quite the experience. The Freedom tower wasn't open when I went there but I'd imagine the view from up there would be pretty awesome too.

Wall St is alright. Not overly interesting other than being able to walk down the street and maybe polishing the brass bulls balls. It's down by the WTC so why the hell not. Also, your trip to Ellis Island is downtown so you're in the area so might as well check it out.

If you have the time, Central Park is worth checking out. It's by the Met so if you're checking out the Met, take a spin around Central Park.

Looks like the foodies in here have the food options covered.

I don't know if you'll get through all these in the 3 days though. It's certainly one of those cities you could spend weeks at and see something different every day.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2017, 11:49 AM   #304
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
^^^ more or less what he said.........
- we did top of the rock and it is pretty cool. I have been to NY 4 times and I love it more and more every time i go. Central Park is a must IMO. Walking over the Brooklyn bridge is really fun, you get to see the skyline on the other side and below the bridge is Grimaldis Pizza. La Vein cookies on 74th street are hands down worth going to New York just for that. The tour of NBC studios is really cool, I lucked out when they take the break for x mas ,Jimmy Fallon was there and he was decorating his set and we got to walk onto and meet him.
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:51 PM   #305
i like gifs

Times Square during the day is "ok" as it just reminds me of any other busy metropolitan downtown location. The beauty of it comes out at night when all the billboards light up the place that you'll easily spot it a few blocks away
This post thanked by:
Old 02-23-2017, 04:10 PM   #306
i like gifs

Vancouver to New York City - $385 CAD roundtrip including taxes (throughout 2017, including summer)

Great deal for NYC going on right now
Old 01-18-2018, 12:43 PM   #307
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Any deals on flights/hotels or both to NYC in late April?
Old 01-18-2018, 04:57 PM   #308
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilinim View Post
Any deals on flights/hotels or both to NYC in late April?
Non stop on Air Canada to EWR is under $500 return currently. That's a pretty good deal.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-02-2018, 06:04 AM   #309
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,044 Times in 2,077 Posts
Heading to NYC for my first time in a few weeks. Will look into the Costco City Pass for the major tourist attractions but does anyone have other recommendations of things to do/check out besides the obvious?

Actually starting my adventure in Boston and have a free day to fill there before grabbing a Mustang to drift into Manhattan. Any insider knowledge there would be appreciated as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 01:05 PM   #310
i like gifs

Unless you have an appreciation for art then I'd personally skip a lot of the art museums there. We went to the American Museum of Natural History and that was a lot of fun, and I imagine I had a much better experience there compared to staring at abstract art, but that's your call

The great thing about NYC is the overabundance of free things to do and see outdoors, that you could probably get away without having to fill your entire visit full of paid tourist attractions. Obviously, every person is different, so maybe you can post up what you're thinking of seeing/doing and we can give you a better idea if it's something that's worth it.

Bouley has since moved locations and is now located at 31 W 21st St, New York, NY 10010, USA (21st & 5th Ave - close to Flatiron Building & Madison Square Park & Shake Shack)

Bouley Lunch Tasting Menu · Bouley at Home

Their lunch tasting menu has gone up from $55 to $59 now, but it's still what I'd consider to be one of the best tasting menu experiences without having to necessarily break the bank.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-02-2018, 07:38 PM   #311
Waxin’ Punks

I plan to check Bouley, Minetta Tavern and Hill Country BBQ out because of this thread, thanks.

Will check out the obvious stuff like World Trade, Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Central Park, Top of the Rock etc. of course. We’re not big into museums but might check one out I suppose.

Aside from that, looking for memorable places that aren’t necessarily tourist attractions but somewhere people familiar with NYC would tell others they have to check out.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-05-2018, 01:13 PM   #312
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
I still have wet dreams of of Minetta Tavern lol ... dat burger and bone marrow ...
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:04 PM   #313
i like gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
I still have wet dreams of of Minetta Tavern lol ... dat burger and bone marrow ...
Old 07-20-2018, 07:20 AM   #314
Waxin’ Punks

^ I now know why.. thanks for the suggestion! My wife even loved the marrow and she’s not a fan, traditionally. I can’t even describe the burger. Just ridiculously good.

via Imgflip Meme Generator

via Omg flip Meme Generator

Rather than take a long walk after our meal we went right around the corner to the Comedy Cellar where we got to sit front row for a great show.

Got to meet Joe Machi, Dave Attell and Vancouverite Phil Hanley afterward. They just came and hung out outside. NY is awesome.

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by punkwax; 07-20-2018 at 07:27 AM.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:15 AM   #315
i like gifs

Glad you liked it! Minetta and Bouley's lunch tasting menu are two of the must try places that I always recommend to my friends. They've never failed me so far