REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 10-08-2014, 11:22 PM   #276
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Pretty bang on R. Mutt.
My trip last month, it was a week in Montreal followed up by a week in NY. By contrast it feels like the people in Montreal are even nicer (and hot french chicks) than in Vancouver while the people in NY look like they want to tear my eyebrows off with their teeth if I ask them for directions.

I grabbed a Halal lamb on rice platter from a food cart and walked to Central Park to eat, bad idea. There were rats all over the place running around under my bench, I had to lift my feet up to eat.

Also the CONSTANT honking, holy shit, my ears were constantly bombarded. The red traffic light turns green for literally a tenth of a second (barely enough time for the average joe to slide their foot over from brake to gas) and the rager behind the 1st car goes all-out on the horn, every, single, time - like wtf mate?!

The TRAFFIC, ugh, I made the mistake of hopping into a cab. We were stuck in traffic for so long we barely commuted 3 blocks and my fare was racking up into the 20s. I just paid, got out and walked, it was essentially faster. The Subway is your friend.

Also the GARBAGE ... like holy hell, for such a huge metropolitan city they have a horrible garbage disposal system. I'm assuming it's because they lack back alleys but if you walk down a restaurant district around 9pm (after the typical dinner rush) you will see mountains upon mountains of garbage bags lining the sidewalk. Just piled up on the floor, no wonder they have a rat infestation, it's a freakin' gourmet buffet for them on a nightly basis!

Pricing, as R.Mutt pointed out, NYC can really rape your wallet HARD. The 3-star hotel in NY cost more than triple the 5-star I stayed in Montreal.

With that being said, a brisk walk through Times Square is an experience on it's own, especially Vancouver having nothing of that scale to compare with. Robson is like a elementary playground compared to TS.
Dining at a good 3 Michelin star restaurant is bucket-list worthy, I recommend Le Bernardin - best meal of my life. Would I go back? When I win the lottery.
I'm a foodie first and foremost and NY had lots to offer from authentic cheesy pizza's to uber fine dining.
The little island of Manhattan is MUCH bigger than it seems.
Advertisement
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-09-2014, 12:45 AM   #277
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Any cant miss eats on your trip?

Very tempted to do a lunch at Bernadin cause im poor like that lol.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:47 AM   #278
I STILL don't get it

Depends on your taste. But for me:
  • If you love steak you should check out Peter Luger. Best steak in NYC year after year.
  • One of my favorite restaurants for a chill dinner was Madiba. Great atmosphere, South African cuisine and wine. Prices aren't crazy either.
  • I haven't been here but if I were visiting I would check out Maze which is Gordon Ramsay's French & Sushi restaurant.

In general the Zagat guide for getting info and feedback on places before checking them out.

Last edited by R. Mutt; 10-09-2014 at 09:56 AM.
R. Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:23 AM   #279
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Le Bernardin chef's tasting menu and Bouley's lunch tasting menu are so good
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:43 AM   #280

Tried to hit Bouley last year but they were super pretentious and dress code. I didn't bring a blazer with me in the summer so I passed lol
Old 10-09-2014, 10:47 AM   #281
i like gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiSix View Post
Tried to hit Bouley last year but they were super pretentious and dress code. I didn't bring a blazer with me in the summer so I passed lol
Their lunch tasting menu was fantastic and only $60/person (I think). We ended up getting several extra courses from the chef because they were trying a few new concepts. The restaurant was about 1/2 full and we were surrounded by office types, so I can see why they have a dress code implemented.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:12 PM   #282
Ebisu Boss

Off the top of my head (and big thanks to the recommendations in this thread)

Bouley's Lunch was decently priced, but not nearly as amazing as Le Bernardin's Chef Tasting Menu. Does cost an arm and a leg though, but if you gotta splurge once in your life, this is the place to do it.

Another unforgettable meal was at Minetta Tavern, not pretentious, smart casual ambiance. Everyone says the "Cote du Boef" is the way to go, which is a 32oz ribeye and Bone Marrow for 2 people. I also wanted the Black Label Burger.
I had a dilemna because it was only me and my girlfriend; so I asked the waiter what to do because there's no way I could finish a 32oz steak myself and a few bites of their famous burger. So he recommended I try the NY cut and the burger, I also ordered the bone marrow appetizer to start.
The marrow was freakin' DELICIOUS, soft like warm butter but tasted like beef, spread on some toast.
Steak was also the best I ever had. Perfectly charred on the outside, rare and juicy on the inside. Burger was also topnotch, cooked medium rare, flowing with natural juices and complemented with fresh lettuce and tomato, not masked with strong mayo or bbq sauce of that nature.

Of the east coast chain restaurants, can't go wrong with Shake Shack and Luke's Lobster truck.

I also heard great things about Peter Luger's but my schedule was so jam-packed I had no time to cross over to Brooklyn for dinner. Manhattan kept me really busy on my 7-day trip. The Asian in me had to maximize the CityPass so I hit up many attractions

"Dream as if you will live forever, Live as if tomorrow will be your last." ~ James Dean

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." ~ Ferdinand Porsche

There is no substitute.

History
1982 Toyota Corolla
2000 Honda SiR
2002 Lexus IS300
1989 Honda Civic
1986 Toyota AE86 頭文字 (イニシャル) D
2000 Porsche 996
2015 Cayman S
Current
2017 Boxter 718
Old 10-09-2014, 10:20 PM   #283
i like gifs

LOL Deon, you did the same thing that we did

Had the lunch tasting menu @ Bouley, Chef's tasting @ Le Bernardin, and Minetta Tavern.

The black label burger at Minetta Tavern was so god damn gooooooood

You can't expect the lunch tasting menu @ Bouley to be as good as Le Bernardin's Chef's tasting because they're not even in the same league when it comes to price and courses. I'd be interested in trying Bouley's dinner tasting menu to see how it is next time I'm back. Bernardin's service was definitely great! We were the last table in the restaurant after close and they didn't rush us once.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:31 PM   #284
Ebisu Boss

Couple teasers:
Le Bernardin:

1 of the 9 courses - Norway Lobster

Minetta Tavern:

Marrow

NY steak, nothing fancy, perfectly charred, bursting with juice.

Luke's Lobster:
This post thanked by:
Old 10-09-2014, 10:35 PM   #285
Ebisu Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
LOL Deon, you did the same thing that we did

Had the lunch tasting menu @ Bouley, Chef's tasting @ Le Bernardin, and Minetta Tavern.

The black label burger at Minetta Tavern was so god damn gooooooood

You can't expect the lunch tasting menu @ Bouley to be as good as Le Bernardin's Chef's tasting because they're not even in the same league when it comes to price and courses. I'd be interested in trying Bouley's dinner tasting menu to see how it is next time I'm back. Bernardin's service was definitely great! We were the last table in the restaurant after close and they didn't rush us once.
Haha well a lot of the food recommendations were based around this thread. (RS FTW!!)
I trust you guys more than those restaurant review sites (Yelp, etc) lol
Old 10-09-2014, 10:54 PM   #286
i like gifs

That bone marrow appy @ Minetta Tavern

Old 10-11-2014, 10:43 AM   #287
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
dat marrow...
Old 10-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #288
i like gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
dat marrow...
Their Black Label Burger is even better than that....
Old 10-11-2014, 11:45 AM   #289
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
NY gonna have to be my next US destination I think lol
Old 10-11-2014, 11:42 PM   #290

It's like watching No Reservations with the recommendations.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:43 PM   #291
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Bump! Planning my first trip to NY in mid Aug for 4 days. I just read through 12 pages of this thread. So I know I should get the unlimited metro pass to get around. Will also try and hit up Le Bernardin, Minetta Tavern and Bouley for restaurants. Any other recent tips?
xxxrsxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:35 PM   #292
i like gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxrsxxx View Post
Bump! Planning my first trip to NY in mid Aug for 4 days. I just read through 12 pages of this thread. So I know I should get the unlimited metro pass to get around. Will also try and hit up Le Bernardin, Minetta Tavern and Bouley for restaurants. Any other recent tips?
Hit up The Halal Guys on W. 53rd for some really good cheap street food. Each order comes in one of those massive round chinese take out aluminum tins.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-halal-guys-new-york-2

Check out New York's Eater.com page for some more recent stuff Eater NY

The 38 Essential New York Restaurants, Summer 2016 - Eater NY according to Nick Solares

To be honest, you can eat at any of the top 6 restaurants here (https://www.zagat.com/best-restaurants/new-york) and will leave feeling like you had a great dining experience.

Last edited by Ch28; 07-29-2016 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Added links for Halal Guys
This post thanked by:
Old 08-01-2016, 03:11 AM   #293
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,647 Times in 2,303 Posts

just had to throw this here lol
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:00 PM   #294
I STILL don't get it

heading to NYC this week and booked a lunch at Le Bernardin and Minetta Tavern based on everyone's recommendations.

One question regarding Le Bernardin's dress code - the website mentions jackets required for men. Do they have loaner jacket's available? What was your experience? Not too keen on packing a jacket with the limited luggage space we have.

Thanks in advance.
truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:46 AM   #295
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

My NYC list includes:

- Gramercy Tavern
- 11 Madison Park (If you want to splurge)
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:21 PM   #296
i like gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth View Post
heading to NYC this week and booked a lunch at Le Bernardin and Minetta Tavern based on everyone's recommendations.

One question regarding Le Bernardin's dress code - the website mentions jackets required for men. Do they have loaner jacket's available? What was your experience? Not too keen on packing a jacket with the limited luggage space we have.

Thanks in advance.
We were there for dinner and every woman was dressed up in a nice dress and heels and every man was in a suit (I had a tie but some went with no tie)

I'm going to assume the lunch crowd will be like that too, so I'd pack a jacket or else you'll look really out of place.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2016, 09:41 PM   #297
Ebisu Boss

I don't think they have loaner jackets... I didn't think to ask. But ya the "high end" in NY is borderline snobby so I'm not sure if they will even let you in without a blazer.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2016, 09:45 PM   #298
I STILL don't get it

Thanks for the reply guys. I emailed them asking when confirming my reservation. For future reference they do have loaner jackets. I saw a table today where two men didn't have a blazer on and they were seated in the lounge area away from the main dining area.

Overall the food was delicious but the vibe was too pretentious and uptight.
truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:24 PM   #299
i like gifs

Every fine dining restaurant will give off a pretentious vibe

Try Minetta Tavern. It's a pub but their food is excellent. Black Label Burger
Old 08-24-2016, 11:03 PM   #300
Ebisu Boss

+1000 for Minetta Tavern, not pretentious at all. One of my better dinners on my trip. I walked right past it when I was looking for this place, the outside is dark and looks kinda ghetto. Actually doesn't even look like a restaurant but once you open the door and part the curtains it feels like you are transported to another era.
Totally gives off a 60's bar vibe. Service was warm and funny. Many people chilling at the bar with cocktails and martinis in hand.

It's looks like straight out of a scene from Goodfellas, except without Joe Pesci shooting everyone.

I recommend:
Black Label Burger
Bone-In New York Strip
Roasted Bone Marrow

or just get the:
Dry-Aged Côte de Boeuf dinner set if you can eat that much.
It's "for two, with roasted marrow bones and gem lettuce salad"

It was just me and my girlfriend so as tempting as it was I couldn't do the tenderloin for 2, AND the burger.
I went for the NY cut, burger and a marrow appetizer, still couldn't finish it.
In a place like this also had to get an Old Fashioned drink or 3 heh

Last edited by Obsideon; 08-24-2016 at 11:18 PM.