REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 01-05-2014, 11:45 PM   #251
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Thanks.

Just got tix for the Heat vs Knicks game on Thursday, so pumped!
Advertisement
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:18 AM   #252
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Nice, already going to that game. Where you sitting?
Posted via RS Mobile
Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:48 PM   #253

Section 115, row 9. Where are you sitting?
Old 01-07-2014, 08:23 AM   #254
MOD

I think im section 103
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 01-08-2014, 03:39 AM   #255

Just witnessed -26 windchill yesterday, my god it was cold. It's suppose to be "milder" today at -5.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:35 AM   #256
MOD

Arrived yesterday, checked out the usual spots. Times sq, Rockerfeller xmas tree and then it was too cold to stay out and went back to hotel.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 01-12-2014, 10:31 AM   #257
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

I'm going to NYC on Family Day long weekend Feb 7 (8th 6am arrival) -10 (night depart), staying at Crowne Plaza Times Square.

Any suggestions as to what to do for Saturday and Sunday? The weather is weird and unpredictable. So far we've got Saturday dinner and Sunday brunch booked (both at Columbus Circle ). The following things I'd like to check out:

Central Park
Empire State Building/Rockafeller
5th Avenue shopping paradise
WTC Memorial and area
Chelsea Market (or anything similar)
A Broadway show? Any recommendations?

Anything else I shall check out?

Thanks
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:51 AM   #258
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmeister View Post
I'm going to NYC on Family Day long weekend Feb 7 (8th 6am arrival) -10 (night depart), staying at Crowne Plaza Times Square.

Any suggestions as to what to do for Saturday and Sunday? The weather is weird and unpredictable. So far we've got Saturday dinner and Sunday brunch booked (both at Columbus Circle ). The following things I'd like to check out:

Central Park
WTC Memorial and area

Thanks
I saw Mamma Mia... was pretty good!

The Met if you're into museum stuff.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:06 PM   #259

Quote:

Central Park
WTC Memorial and area

Thanks
Just got back from NYC, it's always amazing when I get a chance to go back.

Here's what I did:

Central Park + I checked out 5th ave and all the stores on Madison (upper east side). Walked around the entire area, excellent walk and a lot of beautiful buildings.
Empire State Building/Rockafeller - Go late night if you want night shots at the Empire State building, I went after the Knicks game and it was dead.

WTC Memorial and area - I also checked out the exchange, city hall, walked the brooklyn bridge, walked down to battery park. If you have time take the statan island ferry.

A Broadway show? I went to Cinderella, it was good. Get your tickets from TKS in Times Square. They're usually 30% cheaper, tickets need to be purchased on the same day after 3pm. Don't buy tickets from the streets.

If you like sports I would check out a Knicks or NY Rangers game, the experience at MSG is amazing. Some other spots I checked out was the UN building, Grand Central Station, Chrysler building, NY city library which is close to your hotel and rode the subway which is a must. I wanted to check out Harlem and Yankee stadium but ran out of time. Your hotel is in walking distance for most everything expect downtown. I walked everywhere even though it was below 0 for most of my trip. Bring some good walking shoes and explore the city.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:36 PM   #260

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabs View Post
I saw Mamma Mia... was pretty good!

The Met if you're into museum stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Disick View Post
Just got back from NYC, it's always amazing when I get a chance to go back.

Here's what I did:

Central Park + I checked out 5th ave and all the stores on Madison (upper east side). Walked around the entire area, excellent walk and a lot of beautiful buildings.
Empire State Building/Rockafeller - Go late night if you want night shots at the Empire State building, I went after the Knicks game and it was dead.

WTC Memorial and area - I also checked out the exchange, city hall, walked the brooklyn bridge, walked down to battery park. If you have time take the statan island ferry.

A Broadway show? I went to Cinderella, it was good. Get your tickets from TKS in Times Square. They're usually 30% cheaper, tickets need to be purchased on the same day after 3pm. Don't buy tickets from the streets.

If you like sports I would check out a Knicks or NY Rangers game, the experience at MSG is amazing. Some other spots I checked out was the UN building, Grand Central Station, Chrysler building, NY city library which is close to your hotel and rode the subway which is a must. I wanted to check out Harlem and Yankee stadium but ran out of time. Your hotel is in walking distance for most everything expect downtown. I walked everywhere even though it was below 0 for most of my trip. Bring some good walking shoes and explore the city.
Thanks guys I hope the weather is still +10 like the day before. There's some crazy ass whack weather happening across North America.

I'd love to walk around as much as I could but I don't get why there's dress code specifically stating no sneakers
Old 01-12-2014, 02:38 PM   #261

Quote:
Thanks guys I hope the weather is still +10 like the day before. There's some crazy ass whack weather happening across North America.

I'd love to walk around as much as I could but I don't get why there's dress code specifically stating no sneakers
Dress code to walk around?
Old 01-12-2014, 03:01 PM   #262
MOD

This is my last night in NYC, so far ive done times sq, knicks game, rangers game, Rockerfeller + top of rock, late night with Jimmy Fallon, yankees stadium tour, empire state building, day cruise of the Hudson river, 9/11 tribute and 9/11 memorial.

No time to do msg tour, central park etc
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 01-12-2014, 03:12 PM   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Disick View Post
Dress code to walk around?
Sorry I mean dress code for dinner. I'm not a fan of dressing up so after dinner I'd probably go back to hotel to change into something more comfortable before continuing
Old 01-12-2014, 03:18 PM   #264

Oh got you. You need to be comfy and weather proofed before walking around NYC. I think the weather should be much milder in Feb. When i landed on Tuesday it was record breaking cold, -26c with windchill, left last night and it was raining and +13c. NY does have wacky weather.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2014, 03:54 PM   #265
MOD

It was nice and sunny for the most part today.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 01-12-2014, 05:00 PM   #266
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,489 Times in 4,301 Posts
LOL @ dress code to walk around.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2014, 05:47 PM   #267

Here;s a few of my pictures;

Spoiler!
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2014, 01:09 PM   #268
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Hey guys, I'm going to New York during the first week of April. Any recommendations for good shopping? Sorry if it's been mentioned in the thread already.

A couple of spots that I do know of that I want to check out is 21 Mercer, Supreme, APC, Uniqlo, Kith, and Dover Street Market.

Any other places worth checking out?

I also plan on running through Central Park, cross Brooklyn Bridge, see Wall Street, Times Square, WTC Memorial, and maybe catch a game at MSG.

Thanks everyone.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:52 AM   #269
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
I'm heading to NY for the first time in September.
I will start perusing this thread but some places might be out-dated since this thread was started roughly 6 years ago.

I'm first and foremost a food lover so any new or personal places to hit up? I have no budget if the meal is worth it. What's NY's specialty? Pizza?

I'm gonna check out Nobu and/or Megu for "work related" experience.

So sad that the NBA doesn't tipoff until October, would have been awesome to catch a ball game at MSG
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:29 PM   #270
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
bumping this thread up
heading there in November-dec again.
any of you guys still use air bnb, also any other sites for places to rent out. thanksssssssssssssssssssss
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:48 PM   #271
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
I just came back 2 weeks ago, didn't try airbnb as I heard there's many restrictions. There's posters around the city that say "New York wants AirBNB" so I'm assuming it's still a hassle. I ended up using PriceLine.
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:56 PM   #272
MOD

it is still illegal in NYC.

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Old 10-08-2014, 12:27 AM   #273
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Dammit, I miss New York. It's funny 'cause I hate living in cities (current situation included) but there's always been something about New York that I never minded. Need to go visit family over there again soon.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:14 AM   #274
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
I love new york; first thing I did when I landed at night was go to White Castle for dinner. That was awesome. Felt like Harold and Kumar except it was like 5 or 6 blocks from Times Square where I stayed. I spent an entire morning and mid afternoon at the museum of natural history. I'll say that the extra money paid on top to get to the top floor of the empire state building was not worth it. I've learned that $1 for cheese pizza is the most you should ever pay. I thought a $2.50 slice would be bigger but it's essentially the same thing except 150% more expensive.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:10 PM   #275
I STILL don't get it

Lived in NY from 2003-2009. Downtown Brooklyn which is close enough to the city that you can get to work in 15-25 minutes via F and A/C lines but dodge the ridiculous rent attached to Manhattan. Overall, I think New York is over-rated. Obviously living somewhere is a completely different experience to visiting but NY has this way of molding you into a harder person. It's always left a bitter after taste with me due to the attitude of people on a day to day basis.

When you visit of course you are interested in sightseeing the popular cliches: 30 Rock, Museum of Natural History, MOMA, Times Square, Broadway, Ground Zero, Statue of Liberty etc. You dine out whether it's fast food you don't get in Canada or a high end one to three star Michelin restaurant. If you want some good deals you can go shopping in the village, canal and china town; if you want high end you've got 5th and Madison with Barneys and all the rest of them.

Same thing with nightlife: if you know someone or can afford $700-800+ bottle service then you may actually get into one the high end meatpacking district clubs like 1OAK or Marquee where it's not uncommon to see A-list celebrities/athletes. These clubs are so ridiculous when it comes to exclusivity that not only must you dress very well, you need to be on gl and be accompanied by a very attractive woman to get in. If your woman/date is not attractive by "modern day standards" then the door man will tell you straight up that you're not getting in unless you do bottle service.

One time in my mid 20s I was celebrating and went out with friends to Marquee. I did bottle service that night for the fuck of it. You get your own personal bouncer for the night who clears a path for you any time you want to walk around. Moreover, and I couldn't believe this, he will bring any girls you want to your table. Likewise he'll also get ride of 'em. That's how shallow things are.

In contrast, when I first came to Vancouver I looked overdressed when checking out the clubs on Granville and Gas Town because everything is so much more chill. Vancouver doesn't offer a 10th of the nightlife of NY in terms of quality or quantity but I like the fact that you don't have to dress up to the tits, bring a bad bitch and prepare to have your cc raped in order to go for a night out. Takes me back to how thing were growing up: good times were made based on the company you kept and not so much the location or venue.

On the contrary NY is full of so many great (and affordable) lounges and dive bars that you have a shit ton of options when it comes to meeting up a bud or a first date. You've got West 4th for the College drunken escapades with a ridiculous number of bars per street...basically a grid version of Granville St. But then you have lots of old school, chill pubs. This one bar in Brooklyn I used to frequent for example had bocce ball of all things.

So.... consensus? New York is literally anything you want it to be. But NY is a cold fucking city to live in man: and I mean that in both the connotative and denotative sense.

I used to tell people good morning, good afternoon and good evening because I was raised that way...but no one responded to that in New York....just dead eyed like a zombie. People are just in their own world trying to get by. It's a big fucking rat race over there man: too many people living in too condensed a space. Millions of people trying to live the dream, all the while struggling to get by. That's why, when you venture out of those tourist zones in Manhatten, you see so many people hustling on the streets or subway selling DVDs, mixtapes, fake bags or whatever pirated merchandise they can get their hands on. If you go there as a tourist you're likely travelling via cabs/bus in the city or take the A, C or F lines no higher than 42 or 50th St and no lower than the lower east side.. I'd love to see people visiting venture to up town Harlem or down into deep Brooklyn or Queens. And not DT Brooklyn and Brooklyn Heights ($$$)....we are talking Bed-Sty, Greenpoint, Jamaica, Atlantic Ave et al. Most reading have likely never seen so many low income black people.

The lack of black and hispanics in Vancouver still amazes me by comparison. Every time I see someone black in Vancouver, I'm like "Holy shit a black person!" in my head. Complete paradox from New York that I still can't get over. I landed here and to my surprise everyone was either white or asian...with some East Indians sprinkled around driving cabs or mustangs.

And if it's not the people that kill you it's the weather man. It's hard to find just a "nice day" in New York. It's either "I'm going to kill a motherfucker today" hot in the summer, really fucking cold in the winter or raining. It's the wind chill that gets you. Walking stiff legged, ears hurting, can't feel your toes and fingers kind of cold. The weather report always has the actual temp and the "feels like" temp...which is the important one of course. I'll take rain in Vancouver any day of the week over slushy ass piles of dirty snow or beastly hot days with a sticky nut sack.

Little thing's like having no view to appreciate vs the mountains & skyline coming into downtown on Cambie. Shit and litter everywhere in NYC versus the clean streets I see almost everywhere in Van. Someone is done with their couch in NY? Fuck it, I'm just going to chuck it on the sidewalk along with the piles of garbage for DSNY to deal with. Fucking rats and mice everywhere on the train and sidewalks...it's fucking disgusting. I have seen 3 mice and 1 skunk in 5 years in Metro Vancouver versus Rats on a daily basis crawling under my legs, every day, waiting for the subway.

People in Vancouver are 100000000x better when it comes to just being polite and helping each other than New Yorkers. 100000000x better when it comes to cleanliness and community. While granville and hastings does become a shit show in it's own right it still doesn't compare to the average level of filth all over New York.

My first day in DT Vancouver, I jumped on the bus and the bus driver was like,

"Hey! How are you?"

You should have seen the shock on my face man.

Another anecdote: A few months ago I'm on my way to work and waiting at the traffic light on Burrard to turn onto Nelson. I stalled the car and it wouldn't restart because I upgraded the ignition system and forgot to replace one of the fuses as part of the install - only time the car has ever failed me btw. Anyway, I'm stuck in the middle of Burrard in 9am traffic and the car won't start and if I keep trying I'm going to flood the motor. A random woman in her 30s on the sidewalk sees what's going on as cars are starting to go batshit behind me. She runs into the street and calls people to join her in pushing the fucking Evo into a side street! Well man oh man...that is Vancouver for ya. All of this happens in under a minute. That's the kind of people this city has and it blows me away.

Simple civil services like ICBC, government documentation centers are efficient and polite. Your average stranger is pleasant to deal with. Shit, even the homeless and cops are polite! Good luck talking to NYPD with their wise guy attitude and draconian sense of enforcement.

The average young adult will not get up to give his seat to a woman, or elderly man/woman versus good manners and respect I saw here for the 2 years I used public transit.

The general superiority complex American's have despite having never left the US versus the humility of Canadians who have, more often than not, traveled to numerous countries and generally have a more worldly and educated understanding of things.

Vancouver may lack the variety when it comes to dining but restaurants make up for it in terms of quality food and service. Even if they aren't all happy go lucky, they are real and don't put on a bullshit facade smile for tips. They operate in a respectful manner that is subtle though appreciated. NY they don't give a fuck....the service may be prompt but often comes with a piss poor attitude. They drop your food and run off before you can say anything as they are likely overworked managing too many tables and miserable because they are underpaid and stuck in debt. You can have a conversation here with a bar tender...New York --> on to the next one $$$. I could go on and on...but this is turning into a rant. Point is Vancouver > New York. Go to New York for a week and have fun....don't live there. [/rant]

Last edited by R. Mutt; 10-08-2014 at 12:18 PM.
R. Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: