REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

losing hair

hair loss runs in my family i'm in my 20's but i've noticed the reseeding hairline and the thinning of my hair any suggestions?

GoateeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:11 PM   #2
Need to Seek Professional Help

I have the same problem. :/ Ideas?
ecchiecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:14 PM   #3
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

rogaine?

10-ijuhvdi
woozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:31 PM   #4
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

try this ??? HairLoss is Reversible
tell us if it works
ajei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:50 AM   #5
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I've used rogaine since my hair is thinning, and it works pretty well. Couple it with Neoxin shampoo and you're good to go.

Just remember it takes like 4-6 weeks before you see any noticable results and you have to use it everyday, twice a day. I stopped using it for like 3-4 months and my hair started thinning out again. Rogaine will thicken your hair a bit, but more importantly will protect what you currently have and make sure it does not thin anymore.

The other option is propecia pills, but for the side effects (increased heart disease etc) I don't think it's personally worth it.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:48 PM   #6
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

This guy I know spent 15k on transplanting hair from the back of his head to the front. He is in his mid 20's. Dunno if this is the most cost effective solution tho..
bossxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:07 PM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Ask ur doc about proscar. It works
Old 07-19-2008, 05:59 PM   #8

i'm using nioxin shampoo and conditioner. i just got on it a week ago but i hear superb comments about this product. look it up.
yameen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:02 PM   #9
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinamix View Post
Ask ur doc about proscar. It works
proscar 1/4 tablets work for stopping hair loss, they're supposed to perscribe Propecia 1mg tab, they're essentially the same thing but Propecia seems works better according to studies.

u can try using minoxidil 5% as well (you cant get in Canada without a perscription but you can get it over the counter in the states) to promote hair growth.

other treatments that may help (but less than those listed above) are cortisone injections into your scalp and UV light therapy to try and promote growth

however you should get checked up, it might just be a hormone imbalance or even stress

Last edited by StylinRed; 07-19-2008 at 10:04 PM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 02:01 AM   #10
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

shit....you guys know alot about this stuff.
ajei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:57 AM   #11
Banned (ABWS)

Just shave your head bald,women love guys with bald heads.
monster killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 01:43 PM   #12

Thats only if you look good bald, some guys can't pull it off.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:30 PM   #13

thanks guys ive always been a cap person but it gets hard when i go out at night to a fancy dinner and i think the cap is making it worse
Old 07-20-2008, 07:51 PM   #14

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster killer View Post
Just shave your head bald,women love guys with bald heads.
dudes with plugs look like dudes with plugs, so i agree with the above, cut it really short/bald - there's no shame in going bald, it'll happen to most of us at some point, mine's thin at 25, i keep it short, looks just fine
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:28 AM   #15
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Started losing my hair early 20's, I'm early 30's now. I never took any proactive solutions I just shave my head now. I buzz it every couple weeks. I know theres things you can do but in all honesty I don't really care. I mean sure I'd love to have a full head of hair again but I'd rather spend my energy worrying about things I can control.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2008, 01:24 PM   #16
Banned By Establishment

The cap might be your problem, I knew tons of guys in highschool who wore a cap all day long, and they have receeding hairlines...
Shun Izaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:24 PM   #17
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,163 Times in 1,548 Posts
The cap could be the problem. I've shunned caps since highschool because I was told (probably by mom) that the cap is suffocating my scalp.

My hair gets noticeable greasy pretty quick. I tend to wash my hair daily, and i think that helps. I think it's more of the fact that when I wash my hair, my scalp gets a half decent massage that keeps blood circulation going. My dad's side of the family is all bald. My uncles, my grandfather, even my aunt... she wears a wig. I'm pushing 30, and there are no signs of recession. Considering my family tree, I think that's a good sign.

Last edited by Presto; 07-21-2008 at 02:25 PM.
Presto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:17 PM   #18
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.201314% View Post
The cap might be your problem, I knew tons of guys in highschool who wore a cap all day long, and they have receeding hairlines...
Wrong.

I started wearing a cap since I was in my early teens(I'm in my early thirties now)and all through highschool,all day everyday,even now I still wear a cap everyday,I have no receeding hairlines or noticed my hair being any thinner.A cap is my "trademark",everyone that knows me,they rarely see me without a cap on,unless the occasion calls for me to not wear one.

Hair loss is a genetic thing,it plays a big part on how long you will have hair for during the course of your life.
monster killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster killer View Post
Wrong.

I started wearing a cap since I was in my early teens(I'm in my early thirties now)and all through highschool,all day everyday,even now I still wear a cap everyday,I have no receeding hairlines or noticed my hair being any thinner.A cap is my "trademark",everyone that knows me,they rarely see me without a cap on,unless the occasion calls for me to not wear one.

Hair loss is a genetic thing,it plays a big part on how long you will have hair for during the course of your life.
yep. baldness is pre-programmed before you're even born. i've had thin hair all my life and a hair line that looks like it's receding since my early teens. the hairline has gone back slightly but i'm in my late 20s now and i chuckle to myself when i see people that used to bug me about going bald who are now worse off than i am.

Quote:
Originally posted by MelonBoy
ya i brush regularly with calgate or crust
SizzleChest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:50 PM   #20
I STILL don't get it

My dad started to lose his hair when he was in his 20's. His dad, brother, grandparents.. ALL bald. He read in some book that rubbing Polysorbate 80 on your hair 5-10 mins before you shower stops baldness. He tried it, and it worked. His hair stopped falling out and some of it grew back. He's now 58 years old with a full head of hair. My boyfriend bought a bottle because his was also starting to fall out, his has also stopped.

It's worth a shot! The bottles are only like $10 and they last a year.
Melissa1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:33 PM   #21
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa1010 View Post
My dad started to lose his hair when he was in his 20's. His dad, brother, grandparents.. ALL bald. He read in some book that rubbing Polysorbate 80 on your hair 5-10 mins before you shower stops baldness. He tried it, and it worked. His hair stopped falling out and some of it grew back. He's now 58 years old with a full head of hair. My boyfriend bought a bottle because his was also starting to fall out, his has also stopped.

It's worth a shot! The bottles are only like $10 and they last a year.

where can u buy.. Polysorbate 80
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:32 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool001 View Post
where can u buy.. Polysorbate 80
ya thats wut i wanna know
Old 08-04-2008, 01:04 PM   #23
I STILL don't get it

My dad has to order it from the states...
I will get more information from him tonight.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:40 PM   #24

becareful guys, always do your research before you procede with a treatment. It may have worked fine for Melissa1010's dad, but you may have a different reaction to it and it might not go so smoothly.

"Polysorbate 80 (also known as tween 80) is a stabilizer used in a wide variety of products including ice cream, milk products, vitamin tablets, lotions and creams and medical products like vaccines and anti-cancer medications.

It is toxic and should not be eaten, drunk, put on the skin or injected.

According to Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, Volume 95, Number 6, December 2005 , pp. 593-599(7), "it is of current relevance as a 'hidden' inductor of anaphylactoid reactions", and "Polysorbate 80 was identified as the causative agent for the anaphylactoid reaction of nonimmunologic origin in the patient. Conclusions: Polysorbate 80 is a ubiquitously used solubilizing agent that can cause severe nonimmunologic anaphylactoid reactions.'"
Old 08-07-2008, 09:48 AM   #25
I STILL don't get it

^ for sure! You definitely have to be careful. My boyfriend has been using it for a couple of months as well as he hasn't experienced any negative issues/side effects.

My dad orders his online through a health club he's with. I know puritan's pride sells it as well, hell, lots of places sell it

Like 3zee said, just research it. It's worth a try, and it might work, but everyone is different.