REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #1276
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
Adding to this, I learned last night that some rinks, mainly the smaller 3 on 3 style use an Ammonia based freezing system that leaves the ice softer than refrigerant based freezing methods. I couldn't get an edge last night as a goalie, or as a player during the second game.
I wonder how we can find out if the rink is using which method to making the ice?
I primarily play at 8 rinks, but sometimes will play at BWC, Copeland, Burnaby lake, and Porier main and rec rinks.
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #1277
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
I wonder how we can find out if the rink is using which method to making the ice?
I primarily play at 8 rinks, but sometimes will play at BWC, Copeland, Burnaby lake, and Porier main and rec rinks.
lol, you guys are really taking this rec hockey thing seriously.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #1278
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG2 View Post
LOL. Just wondering out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #1279
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
The problem with this is that you're pretty much left to what the rink sets up for you. It's not necessarily the method of freezing that's bad or good, but how effecient the system is at re-freezing after the zamboni has passed. The biggest issue with the ice is when guys hop on the minute the zamboni doors close, not allowing the top sheet of water to freeze. Refrigerant systems are super effecient, but expensive. Many use a brine system flowing through pipes that works, just not as good as the refrigerant.

For example, I've been to brine frozen rinks at 5:45am and the ice is impeccable. The same rink at 7pm is a different story mainly because it's been scraped, melted and re-frozen 10 times by then. A place like Twin rinks went to a new refrigerant system, and the ice is always awesome.

Quote:
A properly frozen ice can mean the difference between me b-fly sliding to the post and locking in, or sliding past the post and ending up in the corner of the rink facing the wrong way.

Srsly though, even when I'm playing out I'm cognizant of the quality of the ice surface. Especially when chasing a puck into the corner at full tilt with a 230 dude chasing you. You want to know that you're going to have the traction to get out of the way if need be.

Btw, check out this place here. They build custom rinks, and can have you a 3 on 3 size setup within 5 months of order, for $25k.
http://www.customicerinks.com/
I should sell my Subie and buy one of these!

Last edited by originalhypa; 12-14-2012 at 11:20 AM.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:00 PM   #1280
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Bought a Bauer X60 shaft on closeout at Hockeymonkey, picked up at Pt Roberts after work yesterday, stuck an old Easton SE16 blade on and went to a game and proceeded to score 3 goals. Prob could've scored a couple more if I didn't ring a few off the post at the beginning. I'm done with OPS, never found one I liked, even the "custom" Base stick(which isn't that bad) never worked for me. 2 piece for life! lol

Now I'm contemplating on stocking up on a couple more.....Too bad I need some new gloves as well
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #1281
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
Bought a Bauer X60 shaft on closeout at Hockeymonkey, picked up at Pt Roberts after work yesterday, stuck an old Easton SE16 blade on and went to a game and proceeded to score 3 goals. Prob could've scored a couple more if I didn't ring a few off the post at the beginning. I'm done with OPS, never found one I liked, even the "custom" Base stick(which isn't that bad) never worked for me. 2 piece for life! lol

Now I'm contemplating on stocking up on a couple more.....Too bad I need some new gloves as well
Unless it is a true one piece, a tapered shaft and blade should perform the same as a fused 1 piece (same brad of course).

2 piece none tapered will perform different though as there will be a higher kick point than a tapered stick.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:46 AM   #1282

X60 is a tapered shaft and it "should" perform the same but in my head it doesn't feel like it. I'm sure it's all mental with me though. I also have a OPS X60 to compare to as well and it did feel different to me but once again, prob just in my head.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 12-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #1283
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
x60 ops isn't fused IIRC, so it might actually feel different from the combo. I've always used combos since I've never broken a shaft without me actually breaking it on purpose. Plus I can't afford to use ops with the way I go through blades.
Posted via RS Mobile
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-20-2012, 11:23 AM   #1284
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

anyone here uses bladetape (or a similar product?) How do u like it compared to tape?
jack3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #1285

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
x60 ops isn't fused IIRC, so it might actually feel different from the combo. I've always used combos since I've never broken a shaft without me actually breaking it on purpose. Plus I can't afford to use ops with the way I go through blades.
Posted via RS Mobile
Might explain why it felt different...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack3d View Post
anyone here uses bladetape (or a similar product?) How do u like it compared to tape?
Bladetape is crap. Stick to tape and wax.

If you must try something along those lines, I only like this one. Made of rubber and works a lot better than Bladetape

Tacki-Mac Attack Pads
Old 12-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #1286
RS Veteran

Quote:
not a fan. i like the traditional tape, and wax.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:01 PM   #1287
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I like blade tape. I have it on all my sticks. But I got a bunch cause I knew someone that had a bunch for promo. I dont think i'd pay $10-15 per pair though...

The tacki mac stuff doesnt grip as well as blade tape, and is a lot thicker and heavier.

Tape and wax works well too, just that with blade tape it can get all cut up and what not and I still wont have to change it. One pack will last me the life of the stick
SolidPenguin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:03 PM   #1288
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidPenguin View Post
I like blade tape. I have it on all my sticks. But I got a bunch cause I knew someone that had a bunch for promo. I dont think i'd pay $10-15 per pair though...

The tacki mac stuff doesnt grip as well as blade tape, and is a lot thicker and heavier.

Tape and wax works well too, just that with blade tape it can get all cut up and what not and I still wont have to change it. One pack will last me the life of the stick
you don't find the rubbery texture of bladetape weird? I don't like how the bottom of the blade is left bare, and the puck seems to bounce off the blade when receiving passes.. i like how traditional tape absorbs the puck a bit.. and i like taping sticks
Old 12-20-2012, 11:13 PM   #1289
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Nothing can replace regular tape. There's a reason why the pros don't use it.
Posted via RS Mobile
Kilinim is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-21-2012, 12:47 AM   #1290
My homepage has been set to RS

Standard hockey tape > anything. I would stick to regular tape + wax. Retape it every ice time and you're golden
Old 12-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #1291
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

The rubbery texture is what makes it so gripy. The puck just stays on my blade better than cloth tape. The bottom of the blade being bare actually helps it slide on the ice. I noticed it a lot more when i went back to tape for another stick and felt the blade didnt slide on the ice as easily.

And the rubber actually dampens a lot of the passes and vibrations for me. Especially in recieving passes. When i first got the APX, every pass i was receiving just kept bouncing off the blade even when trying to cradle it, but after i put the blade tape on it helped a lot. But thats just me. Do whatever works for you.

Quote:
you don't find the rubbery texture of bladetape weird? I don't like how the bottom of the blade is left bare, and the puck seems to bounce off the blade when receiving passes.. i like how traditional tape absorbs the puck a bit.. and i like taping sticks
SolidPenguin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:02 PM   #1292

what wax is the best?

i was using the tacki-mack thing for like 2 months, and just switched back to tape heres what i noticed. tape def has better puck feel, but the tacki-mack made the puck stick like a magnet. my shots about the same with both
Old 12-21-2012, 09:28 PM   #1293
RS Veteran

it's expensive compared to sex wax, but SNAP wax is the best I have used so far.. it is soft and has some weird particles in it, but does it ever work well. it does exactly what it advertises.. SnapWax - Professional Hockey stick wax

I have used snap wax, sex wax, and also the stuff that comes out of deoderant like tubes, and it is by far the best. the others seem like they go on too smooth and slick
Old 12-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #1294

where can i buy snapwax?
Old 12-21-2012, 09:48 PM   #1295
RS Veteran

Quote:
where can i buy snapwax?
The only place I have seen it in store is larry's in north Van. I am trying to find out if other shops carry them, as I live in Vancouver. It seems to be a pretty rare finding online as well.. which is odd since it claims to be used a lot by pro players, and developed in partnership with lucky Luc lol
Old 12-23-2012, 02:33 PM   #1296

anyone wanna buy a hdo pro straight visor? 50 bucks
Old 12-23-2012, 08:29 PM   #1297

Quote:
anyone wanna buy a hdo pro straight visor? 50 bucks
clip style or the one mounted by screws?
Old 12-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #1298

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
clip style or the one mounted by screws?
screws
Old 12-26-2012, 09:55 PM   #1299

Anybody pick up any gear today? Got myself a new pair of Bauer APX gloves at Sport Chek. Went to Ice Level to take a look around.............then I caved.......bought another OPS...LOL. Bauer APX.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:29 PM   #1300
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
Anybody pick up any gear today? Got myself a new pair of Bauer APX gloves at Sport Chek. Went to Ice Level to take a look around.............then I caved.......bought another OPS...LOL. Bauer APX.
does sportchek have the apx? I would think it would have been cheaper there since everything was at least 20% off.

I got a new lid. Bauer 7500. going to pick up the bauer hdo clip visor tomorrow.

I was so close to buying the warrior widow at sport chek that was on sale for 124. they had my flex and curve (for once). couldn't justify it as I have 3 other perfectly fine sticks