REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #926
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
I recently bought an RBK 11K helmet and I love most of it. I am finding that there isn't enough padding on the forehead part. Is there anyway I can add some padding to it?
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #927
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmhaze View Post
May i ask how many games you've played with it? How far in did you start to notice the whip increase, and blade splitting? Do you tape the toe?

I find the blades of my sticks last longer if i tape them up well. I always go from heel to toe leaving no part exposed. Really helps to prevent chips and cracks.

Got my APX (85 flex) as a gift in January and have used it for atleast 25-30 games since (maybe more), still going strong. I take occasional clappers but mostly snaps and wristers. Havent noticed much wear at all to be honest. I try and flex my blade every so often to feel for wear but its still holding up very well along with the shaft.
5 league games for sure. A few drop ins and stick and pucks every week. The toe start splitting about 2 weeks ago (got the stick the weekend it came out) and ive had at least a game every week after that. Getting pretty bad and i tape the toe completely but imo..tape doesnt protect too much. The flex started to give maybe about the same time as the crack started to form. My blade is getting a bit soft (i take a lot of slapshots and one timers) but my blade got jammed in the zamboni door so i have a small crack on the back side.
pinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #928
x_x

Must be all those clappers and one t's. Have you considered a stiffer flex?

It sucks how a $300 dollar stick can wear so quickly. Once you get one you're hooked.
jdmhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #929
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I agree. I play the same way with all my other stick and they have been holding up just fine besides a little softness in the blade. I will try fill in the crack and see how things go from there. hoping it lasts until next year.
pinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #930
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
I guess I am not a mucker.. but I never had issues with the toe on my blades chipping... I can see how D men will have that issue though. I stopped going through sticks once I stopped going to stick and pucks, where I would spend hours just taking slap shots.. Once I started to only play pickup, Sticks would last me a good season.

BASE sticks are very good and are very durable. You really can't beat the price for what you get.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:59 AM   #931
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG2 View Post
I guess I am not a mucker.. but I never had issues with the toe on my blades chipping... I can see how D men will have that issue though. I stopped going through sticks once I stopped going to stick and pucks, where I would spend hours just taking slap shots.. Once I started to only play pickup, Sticks would last me a good season.

BASE sticks are very good and are very durable. You really can't beat the price for what you get.
BASE sticks are interesting- using my teammates, to me they're a direct competitor to Easton STs in terms of weight and feel. He's still on his first stick in 1.5 seasons, so I can imagine they're very durable as well.

That said, it's too bad that they charge so much for a fitting session. What interests me are their 2-piece blades. They have some curves that I want to try, but for $60 it's a pretty steep price just to try them.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #932
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Since this is a hockey thread I'm just wondering if anybody has any experience with this, particularily d-men or guys who block shots. I've got this bump on my ankle where I took a shot off of and it's not going away. It doesn't hurt or anything but it's just abnormal looking.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #933

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako View Post
Since this is a hockey thread I'm just wondering if anybody has any experience with this, particularily d-men or guys who block shots. I've got this bump on my ankle where I took a shot off of and it's not going away. It doesn't hurt or anything but it's just abnormal looking.
I have the same thing on my ankle. Not sure what it is but comparing my right and left ankes, you can see the difference.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 06-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #934
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
I have the same thing on my ankle. Not sure what it is but comparing my right and left ankes, you can see the difference.
also have the same thing on my left ankle after I blocked a shot. I was out for 2 weeks haha. Bump is still there but there's no pain. Went to a walk in clinic and the doc said its normal.
JKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:00 PM   #935
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
BASE sticks are interesting- using my teammates, to me they're a direct competitor to Easton STs in terms of weight and feel. He's still on his first stick in 1.5 seasons, so I can imagine they're very durable as well.

That said, it's too bad that they charge so much for a fitting session. What interests me are their 2-piece blades. They have some curves that I want to try, but for $60 it's a pretty steep price just to try them.
Pretty sure you don't need a fitting session to try their sticks as they are open to anyone wanting to test them out. They just won't fit you properly leading you to choose pattern/flex/curve yourself. If your worried they will say "no" to you, just ask your teammate to go with you and get him to "try" a new flex or something and then you jump in. But in all honestly there shouldn't be a prob if you go yourself. As long as they aren't using the mini rink for fitting you can use it.
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-14-2012, 08:04 PM   #936
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Quote:
I have this on the inside of both my ankles. Your bone either had a fracture or a chip and the bone healed itself. If you didn't see a doctor, then the bump formed because it was left to heal on its own. If it doesn't hurt or bother you then you've got nothing to worry about.
KevinNguyen17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #937
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Quote:

I've gone to base to try out different blades, they'll let you as long as the mini-rink isn't being used. If you go during the early afternoon when school is still in session its usually not busy. Some of the guys there will actually give you tips and their opinion for free.
KevinNguyen17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:46 PM   #938

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
Pretty sure you don't need a fitting session to try their sticks as they are open to anyone wanting to test them out. They just won't fit you properly leading you to choose pattern/flex/curve yourself. If your worried they will say "no" to you, just ask your teammate to go with you and get him to "try" a new flex or something and then you jump in. But in all honestly there shouldn't be a prob if you go yourself. As long as they aren't using the mini rink for fitting you can use it.
I wasn't worried that they'd say no- I was just lamenting the fact that I didn't go get fitted when it was free at the beginning.

As for blades, I am worried that the blade I'd buy from them would break in my first game. There's almost no reviews on BASE blades. I'm not talking about the blades on their one-pieces. I've already seen that they hold up quite well. I've tried quite a few brands and the one that lasted me the longest is an Easton SE16 blade I got on closeout.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:06 AM   #939

Quote:
I wasn't worried that they'd say no- I was just lamenting the fact that I didn't go get fitted when it was free at the beginning.

As for blades, I am worried that the blade I'd buy from them would break in my first game. There's almost no reviews on BASE blades. I'm not talking about the blades on their one-pieces. I've already seen that they hold up quite well. I've tried quite a few brands and the one that lasted me the longest is an Easton SE16 blade I got on closeout.
They are the same blade though. BASE's OPS are fused two pieces. Some of their sticks are shipped disassembled and put together by Cliff's brother on site.

And don't they still have the 30 day warranty as well?
Old 06-15-2012, 03:29 AM   #940
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNguyen17 View Post
I have this on the inside of both my ankles. Your bone either had a fracture or a chip and the bone healed itself. If you didn't see a doctor, then the bump formed because it was left to heal on its own. If it doesn't hurt or bother you then you've got nothing to worry about.
After 2 fractured feet, and 100's of stingers I won't look back...

http://www.skatefenders.com/
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:45 AM   #941
UFO

Quote:
I've got a bump on one ankle its about the size of a large marble. It looks like my ankle bone, except its a bit higher and kind of in the middle between the 2 ankle bones. Mine was not from blocking a shot, I had a pair of skates that put pressure in the area and caused the bump. Its pretty messed up looking but my doc and physio don't know what it is, it doesn't cause pain or really get in the way of anything
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:57 AM   #942

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
They are the same blade though. BASE's OPS are fused two pieces. Some of their sticks are shipped disassembled and put together by Cliff's brother on site.

And don't they still have the 30 day warranty as well?
That's new info to me. Thanks for that!

As for the warranty- yes they have it, but like all things, it would suck to pay that type of premium for essentially an upstart to have it break all the time, even if it's covered under warranty.

If they are in fact the exact same blade, it will probably be my next destination for a replacement.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #943

+1 on what mickz said. They don't hide that fact at all.
My black OPS is holding pretty good. Even had a guy step on the shaft
During an ashl game and has held up. The blade heel has started a bit of cracking but that's pretty normal for my sticks, plus I also used it for 1 roller game to see how it felt which may or may not have started the cracking.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:51 PM   #944
x_x

^How long have you been using it for? I hear a lot about these base sticks but have never tried one yet. Where can i go test one out?
jdmhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:01 PM   #945

I got the stick for my bday last sept, been using it since. Also got the fitting session bought for me as well. The are on Venture ave(?) In burnaby. BASE Hockey - Custom Hockey Sticks
Old 06-16-2012, 03:03 AM   #946

I wouldn't worry about BASE's build quality. Ron Kunisaki has been making sticks for a long time and he knows what he's doing. The quality control is quite good because they have their own factory unlike some of the mainstream brands that simply rent and outsource production to off-shore factories.

I own a BASE and it was one of the first batches to roll off the line. The only complaint I had was cosmetic. They use water based decals and there were a few areas with bubbling on mine. I've seen newer batches that look much better though.

As for anyone on the fence about getting the fitting done, I'd recommend it. It may be a bit pricey for some people but it's worthwhile to get shooting tips from ex-NHL players and an opportunity to try out different specs before you buy.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:32 AM   #947

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
As for anyone on the fence about getting the fitting done, I'd recommend it. It may be a bit pricey for some people but it's worthwhile to get shooting tips from ex-NHL players and an opportunity to try out different specs before you buy.
^ This +1

You spend $50 for the fitting is better than $100 on a stick to only realize you don't like it.
I bought a One95 Kane. Hated the curve. Took me $180 to realize how much I loved my Backstrom curve.
Spent $200 on a Tone in 87 flex to realize I'm too lazy to use such a stiff stick.
Spent $200 on another Tone in 77 flex but then realized I am not young anymore and need a longer stick. Another $3 for a wooden plug to extend the stick.
Also spent $150 on an S17 to realize their flex in not the same as Bauer's.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 06-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #948

Fitting is $150 these days. But if you catch them on a slow day, some of the workers will shoot around with you and give you tips. Most of those guys played pretty high level(not nhl of course)
Old 06-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #949

If anyone is looking into playing goalie or upgrading their gear I'm starting to move some of my gear. PM me for specifics, selling my medium Mckenney C/A, small McKenney Pants, regular Brian's Focus Catcher, medium Hackva Mask (All Canadian made), RBK knee guards and ONE95 skates (sz 7.5)
Old 06-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #950
Mod.

Thanked 1,769 Times in 684 Posts
skate experts out there, is it worth forking out $30 more for one70 supremes over one60s?
97 Civic CX (POS)

!Nhan is offline   Reply With Quote