REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 11-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #1151
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG2 View Post
so many people just play once a week (their league games) and wonder why they haven't improved in years... also, it isn't just phsyical skill.. it's reading play's, and anticipating what your next move/your opponents next moves are.
I didn't say practice is useless. I said once the person felt comfortable skating and stick-handling, there's more to learn by playing and making mistakes. At that point (and especially at our beer-league level) practice is for learning that toe-drag move you saw someone else pull, and not really how you can draw every ounce of power in your skating stride.

And the latter part of your statement- there's no better way to pick that up than to make the mistakes yourself in a game. You can watch hockey on TV and say what you would do in any given situation you see, but without going through it in person you'll never learn that part of the game. I don't really see how you can practice game-speed anticipation and reading plays in a stick-and-puck session.
Advertisement
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #1152
Mod.

Thanked 1,769 Times in 684 Posts
ANyone here use the warrior diablo/dynasty/widow? which one you like best? you like the axysym stuff? thinking about buying one since they're so cheap right now
97 Civic CX (POS)

!Nhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:34 PM   #1153
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Warrior has a promo right now where you can try a Covert D1 or 2 basically for free for 30 days. Looks like you buy the stick, if you don't like it, send via mail to Warrior and your money will be returned or they'll give you another Warrior stick.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #1154
Mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilinim View Post
Warrior has a promo right now where you can try a Covert D1 or 2 basically for free for 30 days. Looks like you buy the stick, if you don't like it, send via mail to Warrior and your money will be returned or they'll give you another Warrior stick.
sounds interesting, but i don't wanna go through the hassle lol. i always buy sticks on clearance because i'm a cheap fuck
97 Civic CX (POS)

Old 11-22-2012, 03:31 PM   #1155
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

The Diablo is nice for the money right now. It does feel whippier than its rated flex, so just be wary of that.
SolidPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #1156
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Nhan View Post
sounds interesting, but i don't wanna go through the hassle lol. i always buy sticks on clearance because i'm a cheap fuck
an email is a hassle? lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
I didn't say practice is useless. I said once the person felt comfortable skating and stick-handling, there's more to learn by playing and making mistakes. At that point (and especially at our beer-league level) practice is for learning that toe-drag move you saw someone else pull, and not really how you can draw every ounce of power in your skating stride.

And the latter part of your statement- there's no better way to pick that up than to make the mistakes yourself in a game. You can watch hockey on TV and say what you would do in any given situation you see, but without going through it in person you'll never learn that part of the game. I don't really see how you can practice game-speed anticipation and reading plays in a stick-and-puck session.
I wasn't criticizing your comment. I was actually agreeing with you, and stating my own separate opinion regarding people who play only league games and don't get better with their skills. I apologize if it seemed like I quoted your comment to pick it apart.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:46 PM   #1157
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidPenguin View Post
The Diablo is nice for the money right now. It does feel whippier than its rated flex, so just be wary of that.
A lot of sticks seem "whippier" now because their rated flex is what it is after it has been cut a couple inches.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #1158
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
A lot of sticks seem "whippier" now because their rated flex is what it is after it has been cut a couple inches.
This is most apparent with Easton, but I don't know if any other manufacturer does it. To be fair I haven't handled some of the new sticks yet.

And no worries about the previous comment- I misunderstood what you were saying so my bad.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:15 PM   #1159
Mod.

Quote:
an email is a hassle? lol.
ok not the email, but the part where i have to mail it in if i don't like it and decide if i want a refund or a different stick. if i do (which i'm pretty sure i will since i'm biased towards warrior sticks)

but mostly because i'm cheap LOL

Quote:
i know warrior adds an extra 3" to the end of their sticks now
97 Civic CX (POS)

Last edited by !Nhan; 11-22-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #1160
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
There's only so much you can do in a practice when it comes to improving. There's a reason players prefer playing to practicing on your own.

Once you're comfortable with skating and have some semblance of stick-handling, the only way to get used to playing the game is to actually play the game. You're bound to make mistakes when you're learning a game as difficult as ice hockey, but you learn from them.

Things that you can seriously improve off-ice is your conditioning/strength, and your shot. If you have a big yard, a net, and a bucket of pucks, that's what I would be doing when not playing. Against pretty much all beer-league goalies, if you have a good shot, you'll score a ton even if you can't skate and just hang out in the vicinity of the net.
You're talking about how to play the game better which I'll agree with you that playing more games will help but he asked how to improve on a specific skill set which honestly only practicing at stick and puck / power skating will he get better.

Quote:
but mostly because i'm cheap LOL
I can vouch for that
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:17 AM   #1161
Mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
I can vouch for that
lol fucker

97 Civic CX (POS)

Old 11-23-2012, 03:02 PM   #1162

Quote:
Well the Dagger taper on the warrior sticks does make the stick feel whippier. Also the diablo is "pro length" which adds another 3 inches to the stick, so that would make it even whippier uncut
Old 11-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #1163
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinke View Post
I haven't looked but if its the all black one then its an ai9 according to identification sticker on the shaft. In terms of looks its pretty nice having almost no graphics. Personally I feel is too heavy but to each their own.
Posted via RS Mobile
I just picked up the black Ai9 pro stock stick and I'll be using it tonight. It's a really nice stick for the price and while it may feel a little heavy, it feels really well balanced. Not to mention that it's a true OPS as opposed to a fused one piece. All the reviews I've read about it have been positive so I'm excited to use it.

They're over 50% off retail for a top of the line stick so, not a bad deal at all. Stock is limited so I would grab one while they're still around.

I also got a warranty on mine, not sure how but got the sheet from SportChek and everything.

Old 11-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #1164
Mod.

if i get my skates punched out do i have to wait a certaim period of time before i use them?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 11-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #1165
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Not when I had my skates punched out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #1166

Quote:
if i get my skates punched out do i have to wait a certaim period of time before i use them?
Posted via RS Mobile
No. Can use right away.
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:26 AM   #1167
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

when u guys receive passes, do u cradle it or apply pressure on your stick?
jack3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:28 AM   #1168
Mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack3d View Post
people tell me to cradle it, but i apply a bit of pressure to soften the speed of puck and try to deflect it in the direction im skating in
97 Civic CX (POS)

Old 11-24-2012, 04:34 AM   #1169
RS Veteran

Quote:
I think it depends on the scenario... I really can't picture myself consciously cradling the puck unless I am playing pass during warmup. I could be doing it subconsciously during gameplay though.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:55 AM   #1170

I prefer just to tap the puck against the direction it is coming from. It works better for me especially taking passes on the back hand.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #1171

Quote:
Cradle it. It will allow for quicker control of the puck and also reduces the chances of it bouncing off of a stiff blade. Once you start doing it enough, it will become natural.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #1172

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristianhay View Post

I also got a warranty on mine, not sure how but got the sheet from SportChek and everything.

Cause its technically not really "pro stock" so they may still honor some sort of warranty
Old 11-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #1173

^

Yeah, that's what I figured. They're all retail curves and whatnot, just listed as prostock so they're allowed to sell them for a cheaper price. Pleasant surprise nonetheless!
Old 11-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #1174
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristianhay View Post
Cradle it. It will allow for quicker control of the puck and also (b)reduces the chances of it bouncing off of a stiff blade(/b). Once you start doing it enough, it will become natural.
This is the most important part. Usually, I keep the lower hand loose on the stick with a slight cradle.
When I grip the stick hard, I find my lower hand tenses up to the point the puck will just bounce the blade when I am receiving a hard pass.

Also, pay attention to the direction of the blade. When you practice, try to keep the blade turned in. I see people not pay attention then during game situations, the blade is turned away and acts as a ramp and the puck rolls up and over the blade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:24 PM   #1175

^

Yup, that's another good point. Being aware of how your blade is sitting on the ice is important as well.

It doesn't have to be a huge cradle to receive the puck smoothly, just enough so you can receive the puck and make a quick play with it. Cradling the puck acts as a cushion - both forehand and backhand.

I was taught to cradle by Shane Doan back in the day so it stuck with me haha