REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #1401
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

who wears cage and who wears visor here?

my 1st yr in vihl, never had a problem wearing visor.. was in lowest tier
moving onto ice this year though.
Advertisement
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #1402
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
visor here. the lower the tier, the more inclined i would want to wear a cage.. it's chippy and sticks are flailing everywhere
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #1403
Mod.

Thanked 1,769 Times in 684 Posts
i wear a visor, played in tier 8-10 and luckily haven't gotten a stick or puck to the face, but played in a drop in and took a high stick
97 Civic CX (POS)

!Nhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #1404
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

i wore a visor, tried cage and didnt like it. trying the full shield today...
jack3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #1405
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Full time cage user last 2 years for both roller and ice. Luckily ive never had dental work from my half visor days but i have been clipped with errant sticks and gotten cuts to my lips and gums. I have a buddy who got hit in the mouth, with a mouthguard, ended up costing $16k for repairs and it wasnt covered by his dental plan. I'm not about to make pro anytime soon, gladly give up a tiny little bit of viability for peace of mind.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:33 PM   #1406
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Cage
Too many pucks and sticks to the facial area
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:34 PM   #1407

mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:40 PM   #1408
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
Wear a visor, 2 chipped teeth, broken nose, and 8 stitches in the last 4 years..

I did wear a cage for 2 games after the broken nose..
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #1409

Always wore a visor till last year during my ASHL game. A high stick went under my visor and clipped me. Had to go Burnaby Hospital right away and got 5 stitches. Almost lost my eye, don't care if I lose sight of the puck every so often, rather have my sight outside of the game.

6thGear. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:43 PM   #1410

Lucky^^^

My broken shnoZz

Posted via RS Mobile
Old 01-23-2013, 10:45 PM   #1411
UFO

Like a young tim hunter lol
Old 01-23-2013, 10:51 PM   #1412

Tried full shield today and would recommend it for anyone thinking of trying it.

How long of a stick does everyone use with skates on? Noticing that with a long stick once the pucks in your feet you're kinda screwed
Old 01-24-2013, 06:17 AM   #1413

It's personal preference, I play D and use a bit longer stick..just over my nose
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 01-24-2013, 06:23 AM   #1414

i always wear visor for ice or roller, never had an issue.

as for stick length mine is between my chin and nose when on skates
Nvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:43 AM   #1415
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack3d View Post
Tried full shield today and would recommend it for anyone thinking of trying it.

How long of a stick does everyone use with skates on? Noticing that with a long stick once the pucks in your feet you're kinda screwed
a lot of people use too long of a stick... unless you are a D, imo, your stick shouldn't be taller than up to your chin on skates. Yes it is personal preference, but for most players, shorter = better stickhandling. I said most players, because I know a lot of you will argue that datsyuk uses a pretty long stick
Old 01-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #1416
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip View Post
who wears cage and who wears visor here?
I had a visor and it would fog up in the last period so I chucked it. Played one game without, and felt naked. So I bought a Bauer cage. Light, knife cut, super thin it's tits!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKam View Post
All RSers should have their username as a shoulder patch haha. Or we make RS shoulder patches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidPenguin View Post
In for RS shoulder patches
Count me in for a velcro one so I can use it with whatever jersey I'm wearing that day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Any interest in organizing a drop-in roller game in Langle?, like the RS Epic nights of ice hockey or whatever it was called
I'd be down for that.
No chance of me organizing it until after the season in April. Once that rolls around I usually organize a by-monthly game for my buddies. Ice is so cheap after April. Same goes for the inline floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG2 View Post
a lot of people use too long of a stick...
So true, G2!
My slapshot was a flailing mess and an embarassment to whoever saw it. My son did a shooting clinic, and I brought my stick out one night. The instructor watched me take 3 shots, then grabbed a short "Base" stick out of his pile. Hooked me up with a different blade so my lie was proper, and my shot went from fart to rocket. I can hit corners now at a high rate of speed. Not bad for a goalie, hehehe.

The stick was the factor that was holding me back, and by spending only a few minutes with someone who knows my shot is actually dangerous now after cutting down my current sticks. It's amazing what good coaching can do, although when I snap my Rbk, I'm going with a custom Base.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #1417
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
I had a visor and it would fog up in the last period so I chucked it. Played one game without, and felt naked. So I bought a Bauer cage. Light, knife cut, super thin it's tits!

Count me in for a velcro one so I can use it with whatever jersey I'm wearing that day.

I'd be down for that.
No chance of me organizing it until after the season in April. Once that rolls around I usually organize a by-monthly game for my buddies. Ice is so cheap after April. Same goes for the inline floor.

So true, G2!
My slapshot was a flailing mess and an embarassment to whoever saw it. My son did a shooting clinic, and I brought my stick out one night. The instructor watched me take 3 shots, then grabbed a short "Base" stick out of his pile. Hooked me up with a different blade so my lie was proper, and my shot went from fart to rocket. I can hit corners now at a high rate of speed. Not bad for a goalie, hehehe.

The stick was the factor that was holding me back, and by spending only a few minutes with someone who knows my shot is actually dangerous now after cutting down my current sticks. It's amazing what good coaching can do, although when I snap my Rbk, I'm going with a custom Base.
along with improper height, a lot of people use too stiff of a stick too, esp asians who are shorter than your average white dude. They get an 87 flex, chop it down 3-4 inches, and now you stick as stiff as chara's. Rule of thumb people, again unless you are a D man, you should be using a flex roughly half your weight (already cut). People who use to stiff of a stick generally think it works for them but they are overpowering their wrist and snap shots which cause big time delay, and time winding up. wrist shots and snappers should be effortless and the stick should be doing most of the work. with slappers, that is a diff story, but even then, if your stick is too stiff, you try to pound the shit out of the puck rather than being conscious about good form and following through... ok that's my rant of the day. lol
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2013, 03:06 PM   #1418

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
Did some quick searching for something else but I came across these! 2.5"x1" for $7 lol.
TAB - CUSTOM TEXT - OML Patches

or these for $6.50, don't know the size though.
http://www.omlpatches.com/merrowed-nametape-moustache/
JKam is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #1419
Mod.

Quote:
along with improper height, a lot of people use too stiff of a stick too, esp asians who are shorter than your average white dude. They get an 87 flex, chop it down 3-4 inches, and now you stick as stiff as chara's. Rule of thumb people, again unless you are a D man, you should be using a flex roughly half your weight (already cut). People who use to stiff of a stick generally think it works for them but they are overpowering their wrist and snap shots which cause big time delay, and time winding up. wrist shots and snappers should be effortless and the stick should be doing most of the work. with slappers, that is a diff story, but even then, if your stick is too stiff, you try to pound the shit out of the puck rather than being conscious about good form and following through... ok that's my rant of the day. lol
wanna teach me how to properly shoot a wrister?
97 Civic CX (POS)

Old 01-24-2013, 04:44 PM   #1420
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKam View Post
Did some quick searching for something else but I came across these! 2.5"x1" for $7 lol.
TAB - CUSTOM TEXT - OML Patches

or these for $6.50, don't know the size though.
Merrowed Nametape - Moustache - OML Patches
wow you guys were serious about this eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Nhan View Post
wanna teach me how to properly shoot a wrister?
go to "howtohockey" youtube page. It is one of the better instructional channels out there for learning different hockey shots/skills. Start off by getting a proper flex stick .
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #1421
UFO

Quote:
But then I can't use cheap prostock stickz from canucks salez lol

I always thought too stiff a stick it doesn't load properly, and too flexy is when you get the delay in release. I've settled on 70-75 flex at 180lbs mainly bc I'm a lazy shooter these days
Old 01-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #1422

So true, G2!

The stick was the factor that was holding me back, and by spending only a few minutes with someone who knows my shot is actually dangerous now after cutting down my current sticks. It's amazing what good coaching can do, although when I snap my Rbk, I'm going with a custom Base

how long is your stick now? Chin? collarbone?
Old 01-24-2013, 07:36 PM   #1423

kinda not related to gear but..

anyone have any reviews on the power skating course at brittania?

i tried to google where to register and the dates that are open but i cannot seem to find it....

any help would be great!
Nvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #1424
Mod.

i use a 75 flex stick cut down to about an 85-90ish flex. i weight about 165 so i think it's proper flex lol just dunno how to use the flex properly to help my shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvasion View Post

i tried to google where to register and the dates that are open but i cannot seem to find it....

any help would be great!
yes do it. i've done it for over a year now, and dennis and james are pretty good instructors. they've played hockey all their lives and make everything look so easy. honestly for the amount they charge (i think it comes out to $8 per session) it's pretty good. also they will push you if they know you can do it
97 Civic CX (POS)

This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2013, 07:52 PM   #1425

Quote:

+1 Good points! Also want to add that even passing/receiving with a proper flex stick makes a big difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvasion View Post

any help would be great!
Been covered. Brit if you don't know the basics, 8rinks if you already know the basics and want to improve on them.
6thGear. is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: