REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:34 PM   #1401
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
and here's the story about the deceased

sounds like they're going to try and use his comments from 2003 for this incident, that he was "suicidal" (sounds more like his comments were made/used as a get out of jail free card for that case)

Adam Brian Purdie, 28, worked at Coquitlam Chrysler and as a bouncer in the past

Quote:
Man shot dead by police in Surrey 'hoped' to be shot

Killed by police Wednesday, man had said he had death wish
By KIM BOLAN, Vancouver Sun March 4, 2011 12:16 AM

METRO VANCOUVER -- A young gunman shot to death by Surrey RCMP Wednesday night had tried to get police to kill him before, The Vancouver Sun has learned.

Adam Brian Purdie, 28, testified at his own attempted murder trial in 2004 that he had pointed a gun at a Ladner man because he wanted the police to shoot him.

“I hoped if I scared him bad enough he’d call the cops and the cops would come and shoot me,” Purdie said of the April 12, 2003 incident.

Police have not released the name of the man shot to death near King George and Highway 10 at about 11 p.m. Wednesday.

But The Sun has confirmed it was in fact Purdie, who struggled with addiction and had spiralled out of control in recent days, according to some who knew him.

Purdie was convicted in 2004 of several charges after bursting into the Ladner home of his ex-girlfriend’s new boyfriend brandishing a gun. The victim’s family testified that Purdie cocked the gun twice, but that it appeared to be jammed before police arrived.

But Surrey Provincial Court Judge Dennis Devitt acquitted him of attempted murder, accepting his testimony that he was only trying to scare his victim with the .22-calibre rifle.

He received a four-year sentence for pointing the gun, breaking into the house, assaulting a police officer and possessing a firearm without a licence. But that was reduced to two years minus a day after he was credited for his pre-trial custody. He also received a lifetime firearms ban.

Surrey RCMP said the man who was shot Wednesday night had an assault rifle and a hand-gun with him when “multiple shots” were fired.

At first, police said there was an exchange of gunfire with the driver of a 2006 Chrysler 300 during a police chase that culminated in a collision with a police cruiser and several shots being fired.

But a spokesman for Saanich police, which has been called in to investigate the police-involved death, later said it was too early to say exactly what transpired.

“The facts related to this incident are under investigation, and as such, at this time there can be no definitive statements made about whether or not shots were exchanged,” Saanich Police Sgt. Dean Jantzen said.

He said because the case is under investigation “the RCMP is unable to provide any further media interviews or comments.”

Earlier Thursday, Surrey RCMP Cpl. Drew Grainger said the dead man was armed when he was involved in the altercation with police after a car chase.

Grainger said the incident began when Surrey RCMP stopped the Chrysler 300 in the 15400-block of 16 Avenue in White Rock.

“The uniformed on-duty member conducting this stop quickly observed the lone male occupant was armed with a firearm and immediately called for additional police assistance,” Grainger said. “The vehicle involved in this stop immediately fled the scene. A short pursuit commenced and was quickly terminated.”

He said the fleeing vehicle was spotted again by on-duty uniformed Surrey RCMP members in the area of King George and Highway 10 just after 11 p.m. Police used a spike belt to stop the car and it collided with a police cruiser.

The car’s driver then “became engaged in a lethal confrontation with our uniformed member with what is believed to be an assault rifle,” Grainger said.

No one else was hurt.

Purdie had been working at Coquitlam Chrysler after stints as a bouncer in both Surrey and Richmond.

A man who answered the phone at the Chrysler dealership Thursday confirmed that Purdie worked there, but said he did not want to comment about the shooting.

The Sun has learned that Purdie’s most recent girlfriend had just broken up with him and that he had been drinking in several Surrey bars and clubs in the days before the fatal shooting.

He had also made comments about “going out” with some fanfare.

The Personal Property Registry shows Purdie took a loan last November to buy a 2006 Chrysler 300.

In July 2009, he bought a Surrey condo at 12083 92A Avenue for $163,500, according to the Land Title Registry.

kbolan@vancouversun.com

read The Real Scoop at vancouversun.com/bolan
© Copyright (c) Postmedia News

Read more: http://www.canada.com/news/shot+dead...#ixzz1FcN2L0Pk
Advertisement

Last edited by StylinRed; 03-03-2011 at 11:44 PM.
StylinRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:05 AM   #1402
Need to Seek Professional Help

umm.... you don't fire a gun hours later if you are trying to cover up only the officer firing.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:35 AM   #1403

^^ it was an hour later

but i agree it doesn't really make sense, however how do you explain the reports of gun shots in the same area an hour later?

its part of what makes this story so intriguing
Old 03-04-2011, 05:03 AM   #1404
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
^^ it was an hour later

but i agree it doesn't really make sense, however how do you explain the reports of gun shots in the same area an hour later?

its part of what makes this story so intriguing
It's Surrey.
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-04-2011, 07:09 AM   #1405
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Witness featured on the Global TV evening news was skeptical and claims he only heard shots going off from one gun and not exactly a "shootout exchanging fire" as police claims.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:00 AM   #1406
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmvdesign View Post
Witness featured on the Global TV evening news was skeptical and claims he only heard shots going off from one gun and not exactly a "shootout exchanging fire" as police claims.
This is the part that I'm having a hard time believing.

Most people don't know what guns actually sound like when they are fired. They probably don't know the sounds that a glock or a beretta can make vs. say a .22. Or for that matter a glock vs. a beretta.

People probably hear gun fire and assume it is all the same if there isn't a huge difference like a Barrett rifle vs. some .22 rifle.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:09 AM   #1407
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I don't think there's a cover up. All the cops needed was for the guy to point a gun at them to shoot him dead.

Sounds like the cops opened up on him at first and didn't kill him. After an hour of trying to convince him to exit the car/put away the guns he aims at the cops and they're forced to kill him.
jaguar604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:49 PM   #1408
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/loa...991/story.html

The latest news release...may answer some of the speculation here.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2011, 01:14 AM   #1409

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/loa...991/story.html

The latest news release...may answer some of the speculation here.
Quote:
Jantzen said the second series of bursts were not shots, but the Lower Mainland Emergency Response Team detonating diversionary devices and gas canisters at Purdie's vehicle so investigators could safely approach.

"This was done to make sure the scene was absolutely safe for officers to approach and begin the investigation," Jantzen said, adding that police didn't know at the time if Purdie was still alive or if there might have been someone else hidden in the vehicle.

Read more: http://www.canada.com/news/loaded+as...#ixzz1FiZZZLs2

So it sounds like what happened was police shot the guy and didn't approach the vehicle until 1hr later with flash bangs?

so the guy who was shot was left to bleed to death (if he wasn't dead already)

that sucks; im not blaming them for anything here, i get it, its just that i expect more (i guess my childhood images of the police being heroes has really been shattered and pulverized as i get older)

I don't think its expecting too much when you see that level of care and heroism from police in other countries and even countries that i perceive Canada to be better than.

Again I'm not blaming or accusing the police of anything it's just another stone on the disappointment scale.

like this latest story of the 2 New West police and the department that have been causing the delay into an investigation of the 2, to the point that the time limit for an investigation has passed http://www.news1130.com/news/local/a...-their-actions

sure there's the odd story of the police that adds a stone that boosts and encourages the image that i had of our officers (like the officer who threw the girl out of harms way) but there's just too many incidents to the contrary
Old 03-05-2011, 06:12 AM   #1410
RS Peace Officer

No...you are there as a uniform Member with your 9mm S&W. The guy is carrying an assault rifle and you have just been in a firefight with a known violent person who has used guns in the past and who has assaulted Police in the passt and said he wanted "suicide by Cop". You wait until ERT arrives. They have body armour that will actually stop assault rifle bullets, unlike the stuff you are wearing, and other specialized equipment. They are trained and equipped to deal with exactly this type of situation. You stay in cover and let them do their jobs so that nobody else gets hurt as this is happening in a built up area and assault rifle bullets can go a long distance. You don't go running up to a car, exposing yourself to gunfire that will kill you if it hits you. It has nothing to do with a lack of courage and everything to do with handling a violent deadly shooter in the proper way so that a minimum number of people get hurt. Hollywood movies are not reality. When you get shot in real life you get wounded, disabled or die. Only a stupid person deliberately exposes themselves to that when there is a proper, safer alternative.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2011, 06:57 AM   #1411

Thanks for the clarification, i was actually incorrect, i had assumed everyone was there already and that an officers bullet proof vest was enough, it didn't dawn on me that it actually takes time for the ERT to respond.

however Hollywood movies isn't what i was thinking of, more like actual situations caught on tape of officers over in Europe who are caught in a risky situation but take the risk as long as it means someone can survive instead of die or get seriously injured

that's the image and standards i hope/wish/thought our officers aspire to be at (that's why i have no problems if officers were paid double what they are, as long as those ideals are sought after)

but if even you, of all people on rs, believe that a bit of risk to insure life/safety of, yes even, a suspect is "hollywood" then i guess i have to rethink things

just a side note though

Quote:
The guy is carrying an assault rifle and you have just been in a firefight with a known violent person who has used guns in the past and who has assaulted Police in the passt and said he wanted "suicide by Cop". You wait until ERT arrives.
All this wasn't known at the time not even that it was an assault rifle, merely a "gun" (according to the articles that first popped up it went from Gun, to gun and rifle in backseat) as for the "firefight" it isn't known if he fired at all (sounds like he didnt based on the article you linked althought the article is a little unclear with "Sgt. Dean Jantzen said it still too early to confirm whether Adam Brian Purdie shot at the Mountie though "several rounds were fired." i'm not sure if that means the suspect fired the gun in the air or are they referring to the officers shots)

the only thing that was known is that a suspect may have a gun and he fled from police (they didn't even know that an assault rifle was in his lap until after they moved in on the body)

the only suspicious thing that he did prior to hindsight was that he ran from police (the having a gun part may not be illegal at all for obvious reasons)

but again, I don't blame the cop for anything; i'm just saying i wished/hoped for more (maybe unrealistically, but i don't believe so)

Last edited by StylinRed; 03-05-2011 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:42 AM   #1412
RS Peace Officer

"the only suspicious thing that he did prior to hindsight was that he ran from police (the having a gun part may not be illegal at all for obvious reasons)"

In his case he was prohibited from having guns because of his attempted murder charge, assaults etc. That IS illegal. He had a lifetime firearms ban and he still had guns with him.

"They didn't even know that an assault rifle was in his lap until after they moved in on the body). Not true.

He said a lone Mountie with six years experience was involved in the shooting, which occurred about 11 p.m. and after Purdie took off from other officers who saw the guns in his car.
I think Police can tell the difference between a hand gun and a long gun. There has been speculation that it may have been a AR-15 copy in 22 cal, a very distinctive looking weapon.

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...1t:429,r:1,s:0

http://www.colt22rimfire.com/index.p...colt-m16-rifle

Read more: http://www.canada.com/news/loaded+as...#ixzz1FkR9LYdg

Last edited by zulutango; 03-05-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:28 AM   #1413
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
In his case he was prohibited from having guns because of his attempted murder charge, assaults etc. That IS illegal. He had a lifetime firearms ban and he still had guns with him.
2 billion on the registry well spent!.. I've seen cases where people had 2 or 3 lifetime prohibitions LOL.. if the first one fails, give them another one.
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:35 AM   #1414
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

I have a friend who worked with him just recently and has said he was on heavy medication amd it had appeared recently he stopped taking them. He was not 100% in the head.
Posted via RS Mobile
rslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:38 AM   #1415

Quote:
"the only suspicious thing that he did prior to hindsight was that he ran from police (the having a gun part may not be illegal at all for obvious reasons)"

again that's due to hindsight they didn't even know who he was, how would they know about the firearms ban

Quote:
"They didn't even know that an assault rifle was in his lap until after they moved in on the body). Not true.
its true the article you posted says that (they couldn't have known it was in his lap until they were upon him)

Quote:
originally posted by Zulutango

He said a lone Mountie with six years experience was involved in the shooting, which occurred about 11 p.m. and after Purdie took off from other officers who saw the guns in his car.
I think Police can tell the difference between a hand gun and a long gun. There has been speculation that it may have been a AR-15 copy in 22 cal, a very distinctive looking weapon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
The responding officer noticed the suspect, an unidentified lone male, had a gun and called for backup before the suspect fled the scene.

"the occupant of the fleeing vehicle became engaged in a lethal confrontation with our uniformed member with what is believed to be an assault rifle,"
(id link the actual article but Kim Bolan likes updating and changing her articles with new info so all we have is the cut&paste from flip)
^^ that statement was later retracted because they aren't sure if the suspect had fired at all but even at the time they made that statement they were not certain it was an assault rifle

it was late, it was dark, the officer was certain he saw a firearm of that i do not doubt

but again they were not certain what those weapons were, he had 2, one turned out to be a dummy and the other a rifle but which did the officer initially see? i don't know, even if he had seen both weapons it MAY NOT have been illegal for him to be carrying/transporting them (as far as the officer knew)

So at the time of the incident the only thing the officers knew for certain that Adam Purdie did that was illegal was running from the police

Again I don't blame the officer for acting how he did, after all this guy did have a weapon and he was running from the police and you only have a short time to act AND the suspect MAY have fired at the police, we don't have any confirmation yet, so no I don't care about the events that led to the shooting all that much. (i can totally understand why they did)

But nevertheless the facts as we know them have to be made clear (more precisely the facts that were known at the time of the incident), and I only wish that an attempt at saving the suspects life had been made sooner especially because the only thing that he MAY have done wrong was run from police.

Of course with Hindsight we know he did many more things wrong than would have been known at that time but regardless I would still have hoped for an attempt to save him be made; again perhaps im too idealistic, but i do not believe so.

Last edited by StylinRed; 03-05-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:06 AM   #1416
RS Peace Officer

"again that's due to hindsight they didn't even know who he was, how would they know about the firearms ban"

When you go to stop a vehicle you always radio in what you are doing and enter the plate number. That info pops up on your MDT and the dispatcher will be going into greater detail...specially when the subject tears away from the scene after Police have seen 2 guns in the car. They would be fully aware of what and who they had there as he was the regsitered owner of the car. His Violence, assault PO, firearms prohib etc would all be instantly available and all involved would be aware of the high risk nature involved. At this point is appears that Mr Purdie got what he wanted...to be killed by Police. Suicide by Cop is more common than you may think, even here in BC. It is incredibly difficult to talk them out of it because they have decided that this is the only solution open to them. This is even more difficult when they are armed with lethal weapons. I'm sorry for his family and their loss and I'm also sorry for the Members involved in the shooting. I have been there myself and you do not want to do what you must do.

Last edited by zulutango; 03-05-2011 at 10:13 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2011, 10:12 AM   #1417

Ahhh, of course.. that was stupid of me, I concede my issues of the details. (i dont know why that didn't dawn on me maybe its because i havent slept yet lol thanks for bearing with me )

But again I don't blame the officer at all for how things turned out I only wish an attempt at saving a life was made (yet again, perhaps im too idealistic)
Old 03-05-2011, 12:24 PM   #1418
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Ahhh, of course.. that was stupid of me, I concede my issues of the details. (i dont know why that didn't dawn on me maybe its because i havent slept yet lol thanks for bearing with me )

But again I don't blame the officer at all for how things turned out I only wish an attempt at saving a life was made (yet again, perhaps im too idealistic)

I'm waiting to hear the whining from the BCCLU and Pivot Legal Society. One attempts to save life when it is safe to do so. Same reason EMTs will wait at a crash scene with power lines down on the crashed car. If you get killed/injured yourself you are now part of the problem instead of being part of the solution. The autopsy will tell more about what happened from a medical standpoint and IF risking getting shot to attempt first aid would have been a reasonable option.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:24 PM   #1419
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

another strange point is the witness saying he was brown. was he?

Quote:
Police backtrack on reports of exchanged gunfire in fatal Surrey shooting
By Sam Cooper, The Province March 3, 2011

A Surrey man says the unidentified man who was allegedly shot dead in a gunfight with a Mountie after a high-speed chase Wednesday died after two cars smashed into a backyard and about 15 shots were fired.

Chad Erickson, a 29-year-old construction worker, told The Province the police-involved shooting incident seems more complicated than initial police reports suggest.

Meanwhile, RCMP have issued a release that backtracks on its earlier report of “an exchange of gunfire” between officers and the suspect.

“The facts related to this incident are under investigation, and as such, at this time there can be no definitive statements made about whether or not shots were exchanged,” the media release said.

Saanich Police Sgt. Dean Jantzen called the original reports “premature,” saying forensic investigators have not yet determined how many shots were fired, and by whom.

Saanich Police are investigating the police-involved shooting at the request of the RCMP, he said.

Erickson said on Thursday afternoon he could see police investigators examining the dead man’s bloody body in his backyard.

“He’s brown, and he’s got black bushy hair,” Erickson said. “You can see blood coming from his nose and mouth.”

Erickson said he and residents in his home were woken to the sound of about 10 or 15 shots at 11:15 p.m.

About an hour later, three or four shots were heard, Erickson claimed.

“They were yelling to get out of the car and don’t touch the gun,” after initial shots were fired, Erickson said.

Jantzen said police are not yet able to verify Erickson’s story. “Let’s be clear, we still haven’t interviewed all the officers (involved),” he said.

Another person in the area, Kamal Singh, said police screamed at her to leave an intersection in the area long after 11:15 p.m., according to the woman’s husband, Kuar Singh.

The incident started when a Surrey Mountie pulled over a newer-model white Chrysler 300 in the 15400-block 16th Avenue around 11 p.m., police say.

Surrey RCMP Cpl. Drew Grainger said the man has not been identified yet, but was in his “late 20s.”

An officer saw that the man driving the car was armed with a rifle and called for backup, police say. The driver fled the scene, and a short police chase was called off.

Soon after other officers spotted the Chrysler on King George Highway and used a spike belt to stop the car.

A witness, Martin Lauze, said he was driving at King George Highway and 152nd Street around 11 p.m. when a Chrysler with tinted windows whipped by him.

“I saw a car speeding up behind me driving in the wrong lane,” Lauze said. “He passed me and went straight through the red light. I thought he was either a bad guy or a cop, one of the two.”

At that time the driver was “just running,” and not being pursued by police, Lauze said.

Lauze said when he eventually saw about 40 police cars at the scene where the driver’s car was apparently pinned by a police car before shots were fired.

As a marked police car tried to stop the driver, police say, there was a minor collision between the vehicles. Police originally said there was an exchange of gunfire between an officer and the victim, who they say appears to have been armed with an assault rifle.

A handgun was also found to be within arm’s reach.

The man was shot multiple times and was pronounced dead at the scene, police said.

No one else, including the RCMP officers involved, was injured.

scooper@theprovince.com

twitter.com/scoopercooper

— with a file from Sean Sullivan
© Copyright (c) The Province

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/news/Poli...#ixzz1FcHTm9Xt
winks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:16 PM   #1420

no he looks pretty white

they posted a pic of him
Quote:

It seems there were two very different sides to Adam Purdie. There was the young man who took a gun to the home of his former love's new man in 2003 and tried to shoot (the gun jammed twice, his trial was told.) And there was the Adam Purdie who worked hard to get his life together, stay off drugs and help others attain their sobriety. For much of the last five years, that is the Adam his friends remember - generous, kind and loyal.

But Adam struggled with his demons and was using drugs again when he got his hands on an assault rifle and a replica gun and was cruising around Surrey Wednesday night. Everyone knows what happened next: after fleeing from the police and with one of his guns trained on an officer, Adam was fatally shot.

His friends and family are in mourning.

Since so much of the coverage has focused on his criminal past, I wrote this story about the positive sides of his life from the perspective of his friends.
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Fri...513/story.html
Old 03-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #1421
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,582 Times in 4,298 Posts
By the looks of his facebook page he was a good guy that got trapped by drugs again. Sad no questions asked but at least it looks like he helped a lot of people with rehab which he more then mostly all of these sum can say that have been getting blasted.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00002923361861
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:19 AM   #1422
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,699 Times in 446 Posts
I apologize if this is a repost; this is a google map view of the locations of Metro Van homicides of the past two years: http://www.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF...f&source=embed

(Compiled by The Vancouver Sun)
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:22 PM   #1423

Making a pre-emptive post

7 police cars just flew up the street (dead end) sirens blaring
Old 03-11-2011, 02:25 PM   #1424
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
and that street would be......

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:26 PM   #1425

124th st (maple ridge)

where that shooting murder happened not too long ago

edit: sounds like the helicopter is out now too, yep