REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:26 PM   #2226
Banned (ABWS)

LOL @ everyone thinking just because a cop is stronger and "trained" for that kinda shit that they are supposed to use it. In the end if a cop has to defend themselves that's what they'll do and they aren't trained to be kung fu masters you can't expect them to run in and disarm her without hurting themselves or her.

I'd probably be the first to shit on cops for corruption and brutality, but come on guys. Cops do go through a lot of shit so if you ask him to go disarm some psycho jason bourne style and risk getting slashed, do you really think he would want to?
Advertisement
Red-nijzllab is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2013, 07:39 AM   #2227
G
Banned (BBM)

young woman with scissors = psycho jason bourne style?

G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:26 AM   #2228
Banned (ABWS)

I meant we expect the cop to be a jason bourne.
Red-nijzllab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #2229
G
Banned (BBM)

Ah ok.

With that, I still don't see the use of shooting a young woman yielding a pair of scissors in both her legs in order to detain/control her. From what I remember, there was some man holding a sword or something downtown and the police used methods such as taser and riot bullets etc to detain him. Perhaps this was situational, but I still can't find a reason for such actions.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #2230
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Honestly, she's really lucky. Remember that guy swinging a chain? They shot him in the torso like ten times. Typically cops are trained to aim for the centre of mass...which means realistically, she should be dead now.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:27 PM   #2231
SardaukarMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
Rubber bullets: not reliable in a real crisis standoff; hard to load both into a gun and choose.
Mace: only useful at close range and when you're at risk of a knife fight, close range can mean death.
Tasers: risk of heart attack when chest is compressed after tazing (which is to say, what they normally do after they immobilize you; flip you over, arms behind the back, knee to the shoulderblade).
a bit OT but FYI, IIRC, rubber bullets are actually shot out of shotguns. It's not like cops have two types of magazines for their sidearms, one for live rounds and one for rubber bullets. The rounds themselves are about 1" in diameter i think. Same with beanbag rounds. Both are loaded into shotgun shells. I'm not sure if it's a budget issue or a risk issue that not all cops are equipped/trained with rubber bullets/beanbag gun (in fact, probably only a minority are) but they still can be lethal (depending on where the suspect is hit and how close they are when the shot goes off).

i guess it's the same reason our cops don't use pepperballs for riot control as well. shooting capsaicin-filled paintballs at people could still be pretty deadly. boston PD killed a girl with one back in the day. anyway, with all of these non-lethal rounds, they're supposed to shoot below the waist. [end of ramble]

my vote is still for a sticky net gun.
2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 in Reflex Silver (SOLD)
2007 Suzuki SV650N in Oort Grey (SOLD)
seakrait is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #2232
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,307 Times in 5,630 Posts
ive watched a few documentaries on the uprising in middle east and specifically egypt and they said a tactic that the riot control groups use now is to aim rubber bullets into the chest/head now trying to purposely blind protesters
Old 05-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #2233
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
Young woman wielding a pair of scissors (or a knife) versus police officers that have probably 50-100 lbs on her and are probably trained in disarming as well as other tactical fighting and they opt to shoot her in both her legs? Seems kind of fucked up to me IMO.
Something like this?

I've never had the police shoot me mind you it's not to often I come at then with knives. My solution to not get shot would involve not waving guns or knives around or at cops but I'm not that original.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa

Last edited by quasi; 05-16-2013 at 03:59 PM.
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #2234
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Quote:
Ah ok.

With that, I still don't see the use of shooting a young woman yielding a pair of scissors in both her legs in order to detain/control her. From what I remember, there was some man holding a sword or something downtown and the police used methods such as taser and riot bullets etc to detain him. Perhaps this was situational, but I still can't find a reason for such actions.
In that situation on Burrard St, the subject with the sword was not really advancing in a threatening manner with the weapon towards the officers or public. The subject was mostly pacing back and forth and yelling rants then attempted to flee without advancing in a threatening manner with the weapon.

What is different I believe in this situation is that the subject with the scissors advanced towards officers with the weapon in a threatening manner. Anytime a subject advances towards you with any weapon, be it a chain, scissors, brick, etc you are trained to open fire center mass. This lady was lucky she only got shot in the legs IMO. Also not all officers are deployed with ARWIN/crowd control weapons.
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #2235
G
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post
In that situation on Burrard St, the subject with the sword was not really advancing in a threatening manner with the weapon towards the officers or public. The subject was mostly pacing back and forth and yelling rants then attempted to flee without advancing in a threatening manner with the weapon.

What is different I believe in this situation is that the subject with the scissors advanced towards officers with the weapon in a threatening manner. Anytime a subject advances towards you with any weapon, be it a chain, scissors, brick, etc you are trained to open fire center mass. This lady was lucky she only got shot in the legs IMO. Also not all officers are deployed with ARWIN/crowd control weapons.
It still seems like an excessive amount of force given a situation where a subject advances toward you with a weapon that does not seem lethal (Brick, scissors). Also, out of curiosity, at what point does something become considered a weapon?

I can agree with that viewpoint/rationale though.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:29 PM   #2236
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
It still seems like an excessive amount of force given a situation where a subject advances toward you with a weapon that does not seem lethal (Brick, scissors). Also, out of curiosity, at what point does something become considered a weapon?

Anything is can be lethal. Im pretty sure I can kill you with a pair of scissors if I stabbed you in the heart. Cops have to go for the kill. Its possible for someone to get shot 3-4 times in the leg and still find ths strength to lunge forward at an attacker because of adrenAline.
Posted via RS Mobile
dinamix is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2013, 12:53 AM   #2237
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,307 Times in 1,775 Posts
Quote:

Self preservation/protection is always the first priority.

Trust me, both a brick and scissors can be used as weapons. At what point does something become a weapon? When the intention of harm is placed on said object.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
G
Old 06-24-2013, 06:54 AM   #2238
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
There have been some shootings in Surrey/Langely since the last time this thread was updated but iirc no deaths

A shooting happened in Abbotsford yesterday at 5:15pm! based off of multiple articles the victim, south asian in 20's, died in hospital and was in a dark coloured bmw when he was shot in a parking lot, witnesses indicate that there were more people in the car with the victim but police say only the victim was present when they arrived; there'll be an update by IHIT later today.

Quote:
Driver fatally shot near busy Abbotsford intersection
The victim was in his twenties

ABBOTSFORD (NEWS1130) – A man in his twenties has died after he was shot while behind the wheel of his sedan in downtown Abbotsford late Sunday afternoon.

At about 5:15 p.m., shots were fired from a light-coloured vehicle near the intersection of South Fraser Way and Emerson Street.

A bullet hit the driver of a dark-coloured sedan.

Ian MacDonald with Abbotsford Police says this could be a case of gang rivalry.

“Certainly it was brazen. The drive-by component of it is something that is consistent with things that police have experienced that are gang-related. But it’s far too early in this investigation to say that definitively,” he notes.

He points out there could have been more people involved besides the shooter and the victim.

“Some witnesses seem to believe that there might have been an additional person or two in the vehicle. But upon police arrival, there was only one person. He was transported to hospital where regrettably he succumbed to his injuries.”

The case is now being handled by the Integrated Homicide Investigation Unit.
Driver fatally shot near busy Abbotsford intersection | News1130

Quote:
A young man is dead after a fatal shooting in Abbotsford Sunday evening.

Abbotsford Police received 911 calls about shots fired near the intersection of South Fraser Way and Emerson Street at 5:15 pm.

“Witnesses indicated that shots were fired from a suspect vehicle into a dark coloured sedan,” Const. Ian MacDonald said in a news release.

:When Abbotsford Police Department Patrol Division officers arrived, they located a South Asian man in his 20’s seriously injured and suffering from apparent gunshot wounds. The man was transported to hospital and APD Major Crime Unit and Forensic Identification Unit members joined the investigation.”

Less than an hour later, the victim had died from his injuries.

MacDonald said the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team has now taken over the investigation.

Anyone with information about this incident should call IHIT at 1-877-551-4448 or call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

My colleague Mike Hager is on the story.

Here’s his report so far: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/dea...773/story.html
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #2239

^^^ Victim has been identified

Quote:
ABBOTSFORD (NEWS1130) – A 25-year-old man, Harpreet Chahal, has been identified as the victim in Sunday’s drive-by shooting in Abbotsford.

It happened near a busy intersection at South Fraser Way near Emerson just after PM.

Chahal is known to police as an associate of Jujhar Khun-Khun, one of the men accused in the killing of Red Scorpion gangster Jonathan Bacon.

Five years ago, the two were convicted in a robbery and kidnapping.

The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says the shooting is targeting and gang-related.

When police arrived he was still alive but all attempts to revive him were unsuccessful and Chahal was pronounced dead at the hospital.

Witnesses in the area describe Chahal’s Mercedes traveling westbound on South Fraser Way when another vehicle, traveling in the same direction, shot into the Mercedes. The occupants traveling with Chahal fled the vehicle and investigators are attempting to identify them.

“This shooting occurred in a very public area where innocent people could have easily become victims. We are urging anyone with information to come forward and speak with investigators,” says Sgt. Jennifer Pound.

If you have any information you are asked to contact the IHIT tipline at 1-877-551-4448, or, if you wish to remain anonymous contact Crimestoppers at 1-800-222-8477.
Abbotsford Shooting victim tied to accused in Bacon killing | News1130
Old 07-04-2013, 10:45 PM   #2240
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
"A male shot at multiple people on the street (Main St & E 26th Ave) and then shot himself in the head. No other victims other than the shooter. "
Posted via RS Mobile
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:56 AM   #2241
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnly1000 View Post
"A male shot at multiple people on the street (Main St & E 26th Ave) and then shot himself in the head. No other victims other than the shooter. "
Posted via RS Mobile
Heres the story

Quote:
Man shoots at others; turns gun on himself
Gunman listed in critical condition
Mike Lloyd July 5, 2013 6:33 am

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) – People at the cafés and coffee shops in a trendy area of Vancouver were ducking for cover last night when bullets started flying in a bizarre shooting.

It happened at Main Street and East 26th Avenue, where one man was badly hurt by the time the whole thing was over.

Vancouver Police are still trying to figure out what exactly happened. Just after 11 p.m. a man got out of his car, he had a gun and started firing at two people he apparently targeted at random. They were not hurt and that’s when he turned the gun on himself, shooting himself in the head.

People who live in the area say the fact that two people were targeted at random is very unnerving. “It’s a pretty quiet neighbourhood overall so I’m definitely shocked that something like that happened,” says Adam.

The man who shot himself did survive and last night was rushed to hospital where he was last listed as being in critical condition.
Man shoots at others; turns gun on himself | News1130
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #2242
My homepage has been set to RS

Crazy.
It'll be nice to know why he did it.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #2243
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

wow. he shot himself in the head and survived that?
411ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #2244
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
i dont wanna be the guy to say it... but why waste the resources saving someone like that...

easier on society to have just let him pass away.. someone else could be using that hospital bed, using the court system and the mental hospital/jail he will be placed in...
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #2245
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
The guy died in hospital, I assumed it was suicide or he was high on drugs.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #2246
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,689 Times in 1,624 Posts
Random acts of violence scare me the most. It's no longer about whom you associate yourself with, it's just being in the wrong place in the wrong time.

Thankfully, and not meaning to bring light to this terrible incident, the asshole must have had pretty terrible marksmanship skills.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #2247
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,489 Times in 4,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snails View Post
i dont wanna be the guy to say it... but why waste the resources saving someone like that...

easier on society to have just let him pass away.. someone else could be using that hospital bed, using the court system and the mental hospital/jail he will be placed in...
This isn't Russia or China. If you really believe in such a notion, perhaps you're living in the wrong country.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2013, 11:40 PM   #2248
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Thanked 1,284 Times in 112 Posts
Stabbing on Friday, Two dead in separate stabbings in Vancouver and Surrey early Friday
viet604778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:41 PM   #2249

there've been a tonne of shootings/deaths since the last time this thread was updated too

think we've all grown accustomed to it :/

last couple months it seems to be teenagers doing the stabbings/shootings/killings which is
Old 08-17-2013, 02:51 AM   #2250
Need my Daily Fix of RS

R.I.P VN
k2damax is offline   Reply With Quote