REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   I like to Ride my Bicycle... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/598760-i-like-ride-my-bicycle.html)

k00laid 05-26-2012 07:33 PM

New member here! Damn after just browsing the thread, you guys have pretty impressive and nice bikes! any advice for an entry level biker? Im trying to get into roadbiking and want to get the best value for my money, Im not a triathlete or anything hardcore, just a normal guy who wants to do some excercising and riding around.

My price range would be around $1000-1600. Im trying to decide between some of the "best entry level" bikes that are in my price range and would appreciate some advice. None of my friends do any biking lol

So the choices are

1) Specialized Allez Elite Compact
2) Cannondale CAAD 10 5
3) Jamis Ventura Race
4) Giant Defy 1

Ive been reading on forums and most people seem to ride cannondale or specialized on forums which must mean theyre good, but I feel like I am paying a a lil premium for the name. Especially when specialized elite compact doesnt even come with 105 parts. Jamis which doesnt seem as well known seems to be more bang for the buck, and Ive had a giant mountain bike before and I loved it alot so I trust their brand.

Btw those of you that have upgraded from 105 -> ultegra -> dura ace, do you feel that much of a difference? Im open to other brands/models too, I just know these brands so I chose them.

dat_steve 05-26-2012 08:58 PM

i'm biased so i'm going to say caad10 5 :P

you should really go out and test ride them but they're all sick choices. you have a good budget that should get you a great bike!

bcrdukes 05-26-2012 09:46 PM

There's a guy on Craigslist selling his new 2012 Marinoni Delta with a Campy setup for $1500 obo. That's worth checking out because they are $1950 new plus tax.

For people who move from 105 to Ultegra/Dura-Ace, most cannot feel the difference. Until you race, the upgrades will matter, especially when it comes down to weight savings.

But yeah, Cannondale CAAD10. :D

LiquidTurbo 05-27-2012 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LP700-4 (Post 7929208)
Just hit 55.6 KM/H yesterday coming down cambie lol on a mountain bike with mountain tires too! Passed a guy in the bike lane who just gave me a wtf look. :fullofwin:

Whats your guys top speeds?

52.4km/h on a road. LOL. A frnd of mine hit 59km/h. Damn, on a mountain bike? Crazy.

bcrdukes 05-27-2012 11:51 AM

If anybody is looking for a carbon frame bike, RealCyclist.com is selling a 2011 Ridley Orion 105 build for $1400 USD. The only drawback to this are the wheels - Fulcrum Racing 7s which weigh nearly 2kgs and available in size small (52cm) and 58cm (large I think.) There are only 3 left. Shipping is free to Point Bob/Blaine.

I was so tempted to pull the trigger. :(

dat_steve 05-27-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 7929698)
If anybody is looking for a carbon frame bike, RealCyclist.com is selling a 2011 Ridley Orion 105 build for $1400 USD. The only drawback to this are the wheels - Fulcrum Racing 7s which weigh nearly 2kgs and available in size small (52cm) and 58cm (large I think.) There are only 3 left. Shipping is free to Point Bob/Blaine.

I was so tempted to pull the trigger. :(

good deal! you could probably pick up a sub 1.5kg set of wheels for less than 500 on CL or something too and still it'd be cheap.

bcrdukes 05-27-2012 04:24 PM

Probably gonna pass on the deal as tempting as it is. I think ultimately I'll pick up a frame sometime at the end of the season and do a build from scratch with a SRAM Rival gruppo.

dat_steve 05-27-2012 05:19 PM

carsbon supersix frame on cl now for 1600 :fullofwin: how convenient

bcrdukes 05-27-2012 05:23 PM

LOL! I saw that actually. :D

I think I'll stick to an aluminum (Ridley Gladius) or steel frame (Soma Smoothie.) I'm trying to nickel and dime my build with a budget of $1500 max while trying to reduce as much weight as possible. :o /cheapskate

woob 05-27-2012 08:41 PM

I think I'm set, training-wise, for the Ride to Conquer Cancer. Did a very hilly 85km back-to-back (camped overnight at Ruckles) between Departure Bay (Nanaimo) to Ruckle Provincial Park on Salt Spring Island. I've got a 100km scheduled for Saturday, and possible 60km for Sunday! I've never been so pumped to ride as I am today!

Quote:

Originally Posted by k00laid (Post 7929257)
2) Cannondale CAAD 10 5
3) Jamis Ventura Race
4) Giant Defy 1

I've only ever ridden a 2011 CAAD10 5 and I will say this thing is crazy light and pretty comfy for long rides. The only thing is that the brakes aren't 105 to match the other components but they are adequate. And, at least when I bought my bike, it was cheaper than aluminum-framed bikes with comparable components.

EDIT:

AAAaaaalso,

Ryder Hesjedal of Victoria won the Giro d'Italia, marking the first time a Canadian has ever won a Grand Tour!

News Link: http://www.cyclingnews.com/giro-dita...age-21/results
Highlights: http://www.steephill.tv/giro-d-italia/

k00laid 05-28-2012 03:26 PM

sweet sounds like cannondale is the one to check out! Anyone know where offers the best pricing and to test ride?

btw the ridley orion sounds tempting too, such a cheap price for a carbon frame bike! If you ride it back over the border, Im guessing you would still have to pay the HST too?

Would any of you suggest picking that one up and slowly upgrading parts as I go along? Or stick with an aluminum one for now? Because I have read that getting the best frame as you can buy first is ideal then slowly build on that, but im not sure.

bcrdukes 05-28-2012 04:21 PM

105 components are pretty good as it is. There is no point in upgrading until you race competitively. Bottom line I suppose is your mileage may vary. And how much money you've got to spend. :D

I think a few guys here bought their CAAD 10 from Cap's Westwood in Coquitlam. I believe BSP also sells the CAAD 10.

woob 05-28-2012 05:24 PM

Yup. I bought mine from Cap's in Coquitlam. Service was good and you get free tune-ups for one year.

dat_steve 05-28-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woob (Post 7930123)
I think I'm set, training-wise, for the Ride to Conquer Cancer. Did a very hilly 85km back-to-back (camped overnight at Ruckles) between Departure Bay (Nanaimo) to Ruckle Provincial Park on Salt Spring Island.

that sounds like a lot of fun! i've never considered doing ride + camp before. going to try and organize one of those now:fullofwin:

just got fsa omega compacts in the mail today and a saddle bottle cage adapter thingy. metric century soon!

K-Dub 05-28-2012 07:49 PM

Looking to pick up a bike for the summer to commute to school and etc.

No idea where to start, anyone want to hold my hand through this? :fullofwin:

woob 05-28-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pK-diU- (Post 7930949)
that sounds like a lot of fun! i've never considered doing ride + camp before. going to try and organize one of those now:fullofwin:

It was the most fun I've ever had on two wheels. Seriously. I was super pumped by the time we got back to Nanaimo on the second day. I feel like if that second day had been 100km with more hills, I definitely could have done it no problem.

skiiipi 05-28-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k00laid (Post 7929257)
New member here! Damn after just browsing the thread, you guys have pretty impressive and nice bikes! any advice for an entry level biker? Im trying to get into roadbiking and want to get the best value for my money, Im not a triathlete or anything hardcore, just a normal guy who wants to do some excercising and riding around.

My price range would be around $1000-1600. Im trying to decide between some of the "best entry level" bikes that are in my price range and would appreciate some advice. None of my friends do any biking lol

So the choices are

2) Cannondale CAAD 10 5
3) Jamis Ventura Race
4) Giant Defy 1

Ive been reading on forums and most people seem to ride cannondale or specialized on forums which must mean theyre good, but I feel like I am paying a a lil premium for the name. Especially when specialized elite compact doesnt even come with 105 parts. Jamis which doesnt seem as well known seems to be more bang for the buck, and Ive had a giant mountain bike before and I loved it alot so I trust their brand.

Btw those of you that have upgraded from 105 -> ultegra -> dura ace, do you feel that much of a difference? Im open to other brands/models too, I just know these brands so I chose them.

If you are looking at the Ventura Race, make sure you grab one of the 2011 models at Sportchek and use the 20% off team assist coupon. The bikes are priced basically at cost right now for $1049.99, another 20% off would bring it down to $839, pretty damn good price for a bike with carbon fork, seat stay and seat post + 105 components. PM me and I can do a stock check for size for you, I know metrotown has 3 left, i'm still contemplating over the last 58cm....i dont like paying "what customers pay" haha, but the price I just listed is way better than my employee discount which is cost+10%.....and besides $1000 on my discount card would eat up a huge chunk of my annual allowance.

woob 05-28-2012 10:30 PM

^ Holy shit that is an amazing deal for a105 gruppo.

k00laid 05-28-2012 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiiipi (Post 7931247)
If you are looking at the Ventura Race, make sure you grab one of the 2011 models at Sportchek and use the 20% off team assist coupon. The bikes are priced basically at cost right now for $1049.99, another 20% off would bring it down to $839, pretty damn good price for a bike with carbon fork, seat stay and seat post + 105 components. PM me and I can do a stock check for size for you, I know metrotown has 3 left, i'm still contemplating over the last 58cm....i dont like paying "what customers pay" haha, but the price I just listed is way better than my employee discount which is cost+10%.....and besides $1000 on my discount card would eat up a huge chunk of my annual allowance.

holy crap that is a CRAZY deal! Seems to good to pass up! Seeing from the Jamis site, the changes from the 2011-2012 model dont seem too drastic, at least not to justify the extra cost. I also still have a GC from sport chek too cuz I was having trouble finding stuff to buy! You have been pm'd, much appreciated!

dat_steve 05-29-2012 07:52 PM

wow that would be one sweet starting bike! don't fuss about parts unless they're crucial for fit/performane imo. ride them until they break then replace :)

woob 05-29-2012 09:30 PM

Sooo happy it cleared up today. Actually got a ride in.

Does anyone here do interval training? If so, what are your intervals? I checked out Tabata intervals, but I'm curious as to what the other options are.

skiiipi 05-30-2012 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiiipi (Post 7931247)

Sorry the price is actually $1119.99....my bad, thought it was $1049....
but 1119-20% is still $895.20...pretty good deal still

bcrdukes 05-30-2012 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woob (Post 7932283)
Does anyone here do interval training? If so, what are your intervals? I checked out Tabata intervals, but I'm curious as to what the other options are.

I've been doing this both on the road and on my Kurt Kinetic trainer since February 27 - Weight Loss: Chris Carmichael Bike Workouts | Bicycling Magazine

Spoiler!

To date, I've lost 15lbs so far. :)

skyxx 05-30-2012 01:09 AM

You must be anorexic. :troll:

bcrdukes 05-30-2012 01:35 AM

Gotta be if I'm gonna hang around Main Street Hipsters. :troll: