REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   I like to Ride my Bicycle... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/598760-i-like-ride-my-bicycle.html)

skiiipi 05-19-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CL typeS (Post 7922773)
Im stuck between the specialized allez and the jamis ventura comp. Anyone have any input or opinion?

Btw liquidturbo do u mind me asking where you got it and how much it cost? Thanks in advance

Step up to the GT Series 2 road bike and for $200ish more than the Ventura comp u get full 105 components.
Or go for last year's Jamis Ventura Race, get carbon seat stays, post, fork and 105 component for same price as this year's ventura comp....and yes u can apply 20% off team assist coupon to either..

Senna4ever 05-19-2012 11:47 AM

I think I'm going to get back into riding. Can anyone recommend a good place for repairs? I haven't touched my bike in years and the tires are rock hard.....and flat. Haha...

LiquidTurbo 05-19-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senna4ever (Post 7922980)
I think I'm going to get back into riding. Can anyone recommend a good place for repairs? I haven't touched my bike in years and the tires are rock hard.....and flat. Haha...

Try your local bike shop. Caps bicyclse stores have knowledgeable mechanics
Cap's Group of Specialty Bike Stores

Bike Gallery on 4th also has teardowns, etc
Vancouver Bike Repairs, Vancouver BC Bicycle Services, Bike Tune Ups, Bike Maintenance Clinics, Serfas Bike Case Rentals, Kids Bike Trade In Program, Bicycle Fitting, Fit Fx StudioBike Gallery Vancouver

Once it's all fixed up its good to work on the bike yourself to maintain it.

bcrdukes 05-19-2012 08:51 PM

^
Did you get your Allez at The Bike Gallery? If so, could you provide a quick review? Thanks! :)

LiquidTurbo 05-20-2012 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 7923342)
^
Did you get your Allez at The Bike Gallery? If so, could you provide a quick review? Thanks! :)

I got my bike at Caps. You want a review of the bike or bike gallery? :p

LiquidTurbo 05-20-2012 10:25 AM

Went for a 77km ride yesterday...

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-6...s512/photo.jpg

Didn't realize Railway out to Steveston was such a nice ride.

LiquidTurbo 05-20-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GREddie (Post 7922651)
Sounds like we need to all go for a ride sometime.

I was hoping to ask if anyone can recommend a decent wireless bike computer that's at a reasonable price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by k20er (Post 7922661)
im down for a ride:thumbs:

RS group ride? haha

bcrdukes 05-20-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo (Post 7923531)
I got my bike at Caps. You want a review of the bike or bike gallery? :p

Woops! :D

Where did you start your ride?

CL typeS 05-20-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiiipi (Post 7922921)
Step up to the GT Series 2 road bike and for $200ish more than the Ventura comp u get full 105 components.
Or go for last year's Jamis Ventura Race, get carbon seat stays, post, fork and 105 component for same price as this year's ventura comp....and yes u can apply 20% off team assist coupon to either..

Im looking at buying last years model bikes to save some money. The 2011 ventura comp is selling for 800 and the ventura race is 1200. I was wondering if the race model is really worth increase the 50% more increase on the price?

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo (Post 7923646)
Went for a 77km ride yesterday...

Didn't realize Railway out to Steveston was such a nice ride.

Yea you can ride along the the back streets to the shipping yards and will take you all the way out to the docks on no.3 road, where they have a leash free dog park

skiiipi 05-20-2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CL typeS (Post 7923851)
Im looking at buying last years model bikes to save some money. The 2011 ventura comp is selling for 800 and the ventura race is 1200. I was wondering if the race model is really worth increase the 50% more increase on the price?

The ventura race is $1150 I believe, and yes it is worth it, it has 105 components as oppose to tiagra/sora, so metal internals, which will last u longer.
It also has a carbon seat stay, which will give you a smoother ride, and a carbon feel without paying the premium (in both price and durability) of full carbon.
The Ventura race also has a carbon seat post which is worth $100+ in itself.
Remember to use the 20% off team assist coupon to save another $200+ dollars.
We have 3 of the Ventura Race left at metropolis, come see us.

bcrdukes 05-20-2012 06:43 PM

The 105 components are worth it.

Better resale too if you ever decide bicycling isn't your thing.

skiiipi 05-20-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 7924042)
The 105 components are worth it.

Better resale too if you ever decide bicycling isn't your thing.

Now here is MY question for you road experts
I am on the market for a road bike as well, and I'm narrowed down my choices to the Ventura Race last years...my price would be same as a customers $1150-20% with team assist coupon....or I can get a GT Series 3 (highest end that GT has avaliable for staff) for ~$450ish.....the series 3 has Carbon fork and full Tiagra groupo....so $450 vs $920...now is the 105 component and the Carbon seat stay still "worth it"....can't decide...
And how much would I be able to sell the full groupo on the series 3 for brand new? Cause my other option is to buy the series 3, sell all the tiagra stuff and get all 105s or Ultegras parts at cost...

bcrdukes 05-20-2012 07:09 PM

Yes, the extra bit is worth it. Sora and Tiagra is pretty entry level. If you are starting and have a limited budget, get at least a Tiagra but in terms of selling the full gruppo, not very likely you'll get much back for it, if at all. If you look on Craigslist, not many people sell Sora/Tiagra components. I've even seen Sora/Tiagra level bikes stay on Craigslist for months with no buyers.

I would much rather buy a bike fully built with 105 components stock. The carbon seat post is worth having. You reduce the overall weight of the bike and you are ensured comfort when you ride over bumps. My personal belief is to stick to a bike that has components that work with the frame. Kind of odd to see an entry level road bike with a full Ultegra gruppo. But that's just me. :p

LiquidTurbo 05-20-2012 07:14 PM

If you want to ride a bike for at least a few years, quality components are worth it.

bcrdukes 05-21-2012 01:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I fell for the craze and picked one of these up :concentrate:

2010 Kona Bandwagon. Love the ride quality. That steel. :sweetjesus:

I gotta change out the handle bars to a road style. Track style bars are aggressive. :fuckthatshit:

dat_steve 05-21-2012 08:17 AM

appropriate avatar is appropriate

Senna4ever 05-21-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo (Post 7922914)
It's called cyclemeter. It does everything a bike computer can except monitor cadence.

What does "monitor cadence" mean?

acrophobia 05-21-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senna4ever (Post 7924548)

rpm of the cranks I believe.

Senna4ever 05-21-2012 12:24 PM

Oh, that makes sense. Has a similar meaning in music.

bcrdukes 05-21-2012 01:20 PM

skiiipi,

If you're looking for an Ultegra build bike, JensonUSA.com has a Diamonback Podium 4 for a damn good deal for $1,099.99 USD. : 2011 Diamondback Podium 4 Road Bike

Limited to sizes 52cm and 58cm. Ship it to Blaine/Point Roberts, pay the taxes and away you go. I haven't seen a bike cheaper than this with an Ultegra build.

Senna4ever 05-21-2012 09:02 PM

Well, all this bike talk lit a fire under my ass...I went and bought a new bike carrier and a new Cannondale Quick CX2 with the hydraulic disc brakes. :fullofwin:

Bought it at Westwood Cycle in PoCo - great, helpful service!

http://www.evanscycles.com/product_i...ybrid-bike.jpg

Are there phone holders for bikes available somewhere?

skiiipi 05-22-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 7924593)
skiiipi,

If you're looking for an Ultegra build bike, JensonUSA.com has a Diamonback Podium 4 for a damn good deal for $1,099.99 USD. : 2011 Diamondback Podium 4 Road Bike

Limited to sizes 52cm and 58cm. Ship it to Blaine/Point Roberts, pay the taxes and away you go. I haven't seen a bike cheaper than this with an Ultegra build.

thanks for the heads up
still trying to work with the jamis and gt rep to see if they have any demos my size
sucks that most demo frames they have is 54 or 56....i need at least a 58...

bcrdukes 05-22-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senna4ever (Post 7925023)
Are there phone holders for bikes available somewhere?

I don't know which phone you use but I found mine on those ghetto websites like DealExtreme and whatnot.

LiquidTurbo 05-22-2012 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senna4ever (Post 7924548)

Cadence RPM of your legs. you want to aim for 85-90rpm. A lot of people make the mistake of cruising in a lower gear than they should. This leads to joint pain, etc. 85-90rpm is pretty fast.

True bike computers have a wheel monitor and crank monitor. I like the app bc it tracks your rides on a map, a nice feature.

PS. Sweet ride!

Senna4ever 05-22-2012 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 7925496)
I don't know which phone you use but I found mine on those ghetto websites like DealExtreme and whatnot.

Thanks, but I try to buy local as much as possible. I also just found out my dad's company is a Ram Mount dealer, so I'll get it from there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo (Post 7925926)
Cadence RPM of your legs. you want to aim for 85-90rpm. A lot of people make the mistake of cruising in a lower gear than they should. This leads to joint pain, etc. 85-90rpm is pretty fast.

True bike computers have a wheel monitor and crank monitor. I like the app bc it tracks your rides on a map, a nice feature.

PS. Sweet ride!

Thanks! I've only ridden it for about 15 minutes due to weather, but it's a hell of a lot better than my old mountain bike for sure.

I'm going to ride the seawall this weekend weather permitting - can't wait!