REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   I like to Ride my Bicycle... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/598760-i-like-ride-my-bicycle.html)

bd0n 03-27-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CL typeS (Post 7865870)
anyone have any recommendation on what to start looking for a basic roadbike? Or any sites listing what entry level bikes there are? I am just looking to commute around town and looking for speed for the occasional workout. Thanks

It all depends on how much you wanna spend, and how much you see yourself riding.

bcrdukes 03-27-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CL typeS (Post 7865870)
anyone have any recommendation on what to start looking for a basic roadbike? Or any sites listing what entry level bikes there are? I am just looking to commute around town and looking for speed for the occasional workout. Thanks

You might want to look for a hybrid instead of a road bike given your circumstances.

bd0n 04-22-2012 02:46 PM

Any bike mechanics out there wanna make a quick 40?

bd0n 04-24-2012 10:35 PM

Strength In Numbers Canadian Premier!....

This years ultimate mountain bike movie is premiering tomorrow night at the Vogue Theatre In vancouver
http://www.pinkbike.com/video/250208/

bcrdukes 04-24-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bd0n (Post 7896036)
Any bike mechanics out there wanna make a quick 40?

Did you get whatever the issue was resolved?

If not, I may know somebody who could possibly help you. (Italicized because he may or may not do mechanical repairs on his spare time anymore. He used to be a bike mechanic.)

-lincolnboi- 04-24-2012 11:01 PM

Anyone have an isis style crank puller I could borrow?

bd0n 04-25-2012 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 7899181)
Did you get whatever the issue was resolved?

If not, I may know somebody who could possibly help you. (Italicized because he may or may not do mechanical repairs on his spare time anymore. He used to be a bike mechanic.)

I needed a trained eye to help come check a carbon frame on a used bike i wanted to purchase, but i think the bike may be sold by now.

RayBot 04-25-2012 07:23 AM

http://p.twimg.com/ArViwEXCMAA7nVD.jpg:large

I'm ready to ride!!

odishaw 05-01-2012 01:10 PM

My new bike for the season!

http://distilleryimage6.s3.amazonaws...381052c0_7.jpg

PJ 05-01-2012 01:21 PM

Wow! There are some nice bikes in here!

I'm new to this whole biking game. Just got my first road bike a couple weeks ago. :)

Will post pics soon.. Gonna get the handlebars re-taped in the next few days.

bd0n 05-01-2012 09:47 PM

Need some advice....

Looking at purchasing a new bike, and i cant seem to pick a side. Im looking at either a time trial aero bike or a road bike. The problem is i see myself going on long rides by myself which lends to side of buying a tt bike. But is their any other side of the coin that im missing that im missing in regards to a road bike?

bd0n 05-01-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odishaw (Post 7905859)

:ahwow:

bcrdukes 05-01-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bd0n (Post 7906415)
Need some advice....

Looking at purchasing a new bike, and i cant seem to pick a side. Im looking at either a time trial aero bike or a road bike. The problem is i see myself going on long rides by myself which lends to side of buying a tt bike. But is their any other side of the coin that im missing that im missing in regards to a road bike?

I would say that a TT bike would not be suitable for longer rides. You sacrifice both comfort and performance such as handling/cornering. TT bikes have a very aero frame and are specialized for obviously the bike leg of a triathlon which normally do not last long. A properly setup road bike is a better, all-round bike that can do it all especially since you're going for longer rides. And if you plan on racing, a TT bike is not allowed in a road race.

I don't know where you ride but if I were to ride in the city, I'd pick a road bike over a TT bike. Not to mention, the TT bike market in Vancouver is pretty iffy. I'm probably missing a lot of other things but that's just scraping the surface.

Edit: Have you ever considered changing the tires on your Giant? I swapped my stock tires on the Scott to a road tire and wow, huge difference!

bd0n 05-02-2012 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 7906455)
I would say that a TT bike would not be suitable for longer rides. You sacrifice both comfort and performance such as handling/cornering. TT bikes have a very aero frame and are specialized for obviously the bike leg of a triathlon which normally do not last long. A properly setup road bike is a better, all-round bike that can do it all especially since you're going for longer rides. And if you plan on racing, a TT bike is not allowed in a road race.

I don't know where you ride but if I were to ride in the city, I'd pick a road bike over a TT bike. Not to mention, the TT bike market in Vancouver is pretty iffy. I'm probably missing a lot of other things but that's just scraping the surface.

Edit: Have you ever considered changing the tires on your Giant? I swapped my stock tires on the Scott to a road tire and wow, huge difference!

ya but i just want to go faster and farther, and it just seemed like it was the time to fully invest in a road bike. And ya i dont know to much about cornering and speed, other then to fully embrace cornering, the drops are a huge component to the angle at which you take a turn. Also i assume road bikes are a bit more playfull in the city because of such angles. But then again, i dont plan on joining any group rides, and my rides usually last between 3 and 4 hours.

bcrdukes 05-02-2012 12:45 AM

Well, the only way for you to decide is to take some bikes out for test rides.

The belief that a TT bike will allow you to go faster and farther is false. If and when you need to turn, the position you're going to be in on a TT bike will limit you to how much lean angle you can give yourself to attack the turn. Not to mention your braking ability. Whereas a road bike, it's much more forgiving on both cornering/handling and braking.

I'm commuting on my hybrid. I tried a road bike. I don't want to commute on it whatsoever unless I'm doing an extensive ride without the interruptions of the city. I'm quite happy with the setup I have on my hybrid right now.

hamsup 05-02-2012 08:19 AM

You can test ride bikes ??? i never heard of that before..

anyways.. sneaking in here.. i bought a brodie romulus last season.. love it... it's a bit heavy but nonetheless.. great for short rides of about 60km.. just got pedals and shoes too.. wooot !

RayBot 05-02-2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bd0n (Post 7906587)
ya but i just want to go faster and farther, and it just seemed like it was the time to fully invest in a road bike. And ya i dont know to much about cornering and speed, other then to fully embrace cornering, the drops are a huge component to the angle at which you take a turn. Also i assume road bikes are a bit more playfull in the city because of such angles. But then again, i dont plan on joining any group rides, and my rides usually last between 3 and 4 hours.

Plain and simple....Road bikes are more cost effecient and are more versatile. Honestly, i hate taking my TT tri-bike up hills. It just feels awkward. But love zooming down the Richmond Farmlands on my TT bike.

Hence why i am keeping both my bikes.

azncreationz 05-03-2012 05:50 PM

+1 for road bike.
Just stick some clip-on aerobars if you want to go aero. In fact, I got a set to sell you...:)

woob 05-06-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 7825628)
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the bike? I'm asking because I'm looking for something similar as well with the same specifications as your bike.

Oops. Completely forgot about this thread.

It was ~1600 during the end-of-season sales back in October.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamsup (Post 7906725)
You can test ride bikes ??? i never heard of that before..

Visit any bike shop and they will likely let you test out many different bikes for hours. I know at Speed Theory on 4th you need to book test rides in advance because the sessions are so long.

LC21 05-08-2012 04:07 PM

I need help pickin out a decent saddle, any suggestions on something thats not too expensive and bulky?
TIA

dat_steve 05-08-2012 10:08 PM

saddles are something you NEED to test out. most shops will have loaner saddles you can ride for a few days to see if you like it. it's almost all personal preference...kinda like a golf club or tennis racket. my personal sweetspot so far was the fizik arione. i went through a lot of saddles before i finally caved and forked out the $$ for one but i haven't looked back.

dat_steve 05-08-2012 10:25 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...428_205057.jpg

the fixie ! excuse the spacers on top of the stem, steer tube will be cut when i have time. looking to get some gatorskins when these tires wear out.

bcrdukes 05-09-2012 11:47 PM

What frame?

dat_steve 05-10-2012 03:18 PM

nothing fancy - just a Mercier Kilo tt off bikesdirect. its my daily commuter now so i've been looking for some shallow drops to put on it (risers were cool for all of one week). if anyone here has a set they want to get rid of let me kno :)

bcrdukes 05-10-2012 06:50 PM

I've been meaning to order something from them.

Did they ship to Point Roberts/Blane? Or did they force you to ship direct to your house? And did you pay by PayPal?