REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:04 AM   #6426
Mr.Spahkle, So BLING it hurts!

I would disagree on the dollar having that much if any effect on them closing.

If you are a bike store and you're just relying on retail product sales to sustain your business, you will be doomed.

You NEED to be servicing/maintaining customers bikes. That's where you make money. In an ideal state you want your service absorption rate high (i.e.// the money you make in service covers the expenses of your other departments [sales, wages, rent etc].

Strada is open 5 days a week, from 12-5pm. They are open for 25 hours per week. It's a part time business. It's obvious that this is not the owners bread and butter, it's a hobby business for them.

Hate to see any business fail but it seemed inevitable with their business model.
Advertisement
604CEFIRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 06:34 AM   #6427

FYI Bicicletta will no longer carry Rapha going forward, current stock up to 50% off
Old 01-30-2016, 11:00 AM   #6428
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_steve View Post
curious as to what the reasoning for Strada would be?? i always thought those high end shops were crushing it. i always seem to have the cheapest/oldest/poorest bike on the road, so these ballers have to be getting theirs from somewhere!

(still on the Caad10 btw. sigh.)
Who knows, thin margins is one thing, and possibly lack of sales is another reason. I don't know how many high end bikes one needs, but I think the average guy wouldn't be buying more than 1 or 2 bikes there. Just imo.
You do not have the oldest/poorest/cheapest bike, your CAAD10 is generations ahead of mine. So, how about you pity me and donate it to me? =P
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:58 AM   #6429
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 604CEFIRO View Post
FYI Bicicletta will no longer carry Rapha going forward, current stock up to 50% off
WUT

Why?

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:14 PM   #6430
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Anyone have thoughts on state bicycle black label? I hear good things about its smoothness and relative carefree riding it give (cheap and you can beat on it). Then there are people who give no reason why they'll never touch one.

Every forum I've been to trashes on every fixed gear, langster had it's sloping top tube, state cycle everyone says you can builf something better like a kilo TT, people say capos are garbage, wtf.

So I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this if you've had experience with it. All i care about is whether they are known to have quality issues like alignment and shit breaking. I checked the geometry and seems pretty reasonable. As long as the frame stays true and nothing snaps with some torquing to the cranks, I think I'll finally get one to replace my stolen langster.

Thanks in advance!
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 01:18 PM   #6431
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Recommendations on pedals to buy, that is a decent price? Looking for something basic. The ones that came with my bike have the toe cage thing and straps, but I would prefer just a normal symmetrical pedal.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:32 PM   #6432

Rapha is no longer having a dealer network. They've pulled out of all LBS around the world to focus on online sales and Rapha Cycle Clubs.

It makes sense for consumers anyways. I always end up "show rooming" the shops and then buying online bc lbs can't provide you with the same warranty and repair that buying direct provides you.

Sizing is also no issue, I always buy things in multiple sizes and colors online, and return what I don't want to keep via free DHL express. Refunds happen within 10 days so it's win win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
WUT

Why?
Old 01-30-2016, 04:31 PM   #6433
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZN6 View Post

Thanks in advance!
I think the kilo tt gets a decent rap because you know you're getting a certain quality in frame/parts (reynolds steel, low-end but not a no-name cranks). I don't know much about state bicycle, but i would stay away if they're using non branded made in china parts. I've had two friends who bought bikes off one of those "customize your colours/parts" sites (Redbike or some shit?) and they literally stripped their cogs over one summer. One guy had his fuck up mid skid too lol

full disclosure, i've got a kilo tt haha
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:32 AM   #6434
ZN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_steve View Post
I think the kilo tt gets a decent rap because you know you're getting a certain quality in frame/parts (reynolds steel, low-end but not a no-name cranks). I don't know much about state bicycle, but i would stay away if they're using non branded made in china parts. I've had two friends who bought bikes off one of those "customize your colours/parts" sites (Redbike or some shit?) and they literally stripped their cogs over one summer. One guy had his fuck up mid skid too lol

full disclosure, i've got a kilo tt haha
Actually, the parts it comes with are pretty decent and even the cranks that it comes with is made by Sram. I intend to swap the crank, chain and rear cog anyways with what is left of my stolen bike. I plan to pick up the entire bike instead of the frame only since it's the easiest way to get a ssfg rolling again. Don't want to source out stems and bars and seat posts etc.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:28 AM   #6435
ZN6

Bought some new stuff on sale. Interface feels really nice with a bit of tension adjustment.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2016, 04:05 PM   #6436
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 302 Posts
Does anyone use a power meter here? I have been debating on my next purchase: a power meter or a new set of wheels, but I'm more inclined to go with a power meter to focus on power based training and forming good habits.
tomatogunk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2016, 09:28 PM   #6437

Power meter if you really want to improve in cycling, wheels if you wanna look bling like the rest :P

I chose wheels unfortunately because snob

Just depends on your goals.

Garmin vector 2s single side for $899CAD on probikekit. Power2max is about the same (the dealer is local, and will install it free with purchase for you, but its crank based so u cant easily swap onto other bikes).
This post thanked by:
Old 02-01-2016, 07:37 AM   #6438
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 302 Posts
I was looking at the Powertap P1 pedals due to the ease of installation, but I couldn't find anything lower than $1,079.10 USD.

That's a great deal for the Power2max at $899CDN. And since I only have one bike that wouldn't be much of an issue. Which LBS offers that promotion?
tomatogunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:08 AM   #6439

The local reps name is Michael Wegner, contact info can be found on Contact | power2max North America or you can also find him and msg him through Facebook.

From what I understand, it's not done through an LBS... But he's a reputable guy in the community, and a "sponsor" of Escape Velocity (that's how I was told about him).

Price is $640USD which converts to about $899CAD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatogunk View Post
I was looking at the Powertap P1 pedals due to the ease of installation, but I couldn't find anything lower than $1,079.10 USD.

That's a great deal for the Power2max at $899CDN. And since I only have one bike that wouldn't be much of an issue. Which LBS offers that promotion?
This post thanked by:
Old 02-01-2016, 10:00 AM   #6440
RS controls my life!

MEC looks like they'll be carrying the updated Stages G2 in a variety of NDS arms if you're interested in single-sided power.
dton13 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-01-2016, 05:37 PM   #6441
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I would say powermeter over wheels. Single best cycling purchase I've ever made.

Has anyone looked at Biciletta stock on Rapha stuff? Is it all oversized items? Anything decent?
henry604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-01-2016, 08:11 PM   #6442
RS controls my life!

To add my own 2 cents. I'd go with a nice wheelset first over power. Power isn't really necessary unless you're training competitively (IMO), or if you're just a data geek. A wheelset will have a larger performance benefit and as 604cefiro said, will look better. That being said, a nice wheelset isn't cheap and power would be the more affordable option if you have the itch.
dton13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:39 PM   #6443
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatogunk View Post

FYI - P2M prices are USD with the cheapest crankset FSA at $630USD without rings.
distanc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:04 PM   #6444

Just left Bici

Tons of sizes left. Good selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry604 View Post
I would say powermeter over wheels. Single best cycling purchase I've ever made.

Has anyone looked at Biciletta stock on Rapha stuff? Is it all oversized items? Anything decent?
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2016, 05:05 PM   #6445
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Whoa...Dave Mirra dead from an apparent suicide.

X Games icon Dave Mirra dead at 41 of apparent suicide in Greenville, North Carolina

I remember watching him do crazy tricks with his bike during X Games when I was growing up
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:26 PM   #6446
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Whoa...Dave Mirra dead from an apparent suicide.

X Games icon Dave Mirra dead at 41 of apparent suicide in Greenville, North Carolina

I remember watching him do crazy tricks with his bike during X Games when I was growing up
He made me want to ride a bike when I was a kid/teen. He was successfully transitioning into triathlon too. Very sad.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:42 PM   #6447
ZN6

Does anyone have a square taper bottom bracket removal tool i can borrow?
Old 02-09-2016, 06:21 AM   #6448
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZN6 View Post
Does anyone have a square taper bottom bracket removal tool i can borrow?
I'll have to check when I get home, but otherwise, I'm positive you can get one from the Tool Library off Victoria Drive in East Van if you need it quickly.
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:34 AM   #6449
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Happy Chinese New Year! Since I really don't entirely know what that means. I'm calling this one, the year of the bicycle! Told my brother in law i'll join his team for the Tour de Victoria (They are Firefigthers, everything has to be a team, ha) and picked up a "Ghost AMR plus 5900" mountain bike yesterday. Cheers to no broken bones for 2016!!

Last edited by hud 91gt; 02-09-2016 at 07:53 AM.
hud 91gt is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2016, 08:53 AM   #6450
ZN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by azncreationz View Post
I'll have to check when I get home, but otherwise, I'm positive you can get one from the Tool Library off Victoria Drive in East Van if you need it quickly.
Oh! Awesome, I did not know something like that existed, but it'll be the weekend before I can do anything to the bike. I pulled the trigger on a state black label wondering how bad it could be as a commuter. Worst decision.