REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:04 AM   #6376
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corollagtSr5 View Post
Anywhere local to get these gloves?
FWIW I haven't seen anyone local carry them. I looked at the usual suspects. Bici, mighty, giant, etc. I took a gamble and ordered them online following the fit of gore's typical gloves and from my experience. I've had the Road GTX (gore-tex) and Countdown's and the Large felt the best. However, I've now learned that the Xenon goretex have slightly longer fingers than the others. Not sure how the medium would have fit but just a heads up.
Advertisement
dton13 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-18-2015, 09:43 AM   #6377
Mr.Spahkle, So BLING it hurts!

Anyone here interested in a brand new pair of Rapha Classic Thermal Bib shorts? In any size you need, for $225 firm? Regular price is $295+tax ($330)

See them here: Classic Thermal Bib Shorts | Rapha

I'm looking to purchase a winter bundle but have no need for the pair of thermal shorts it comes with.
604CEFIRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:41 PM   #6378
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604CEFIRO View Post
Bro these look like they would work well!! Because of how it "seals" at the top

Is the material rubber like?

Any fleece on the inside? Sweaty feet at all?
Latex/Rubber material. I just wore a pair of thicker socks to compensate for no fleece to keep my feet warm.

Beats my $65 "waterproof" Mec Pearl Izumi shoe cover. haha I'm thinkin of ordering 2 other colors of the tall shoe cover from VeloToze.

Last edited by mc.jolaika; 11-18-2015 at 06:49 PM.
mc.jolaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:21 AM   #6379

FYI... for those folks who wanted to use that 15% coupon on the Rapha.cc website... There are a lot of new items listed in the "Archive Sale" portion of their site...

You can score bib shorts starting from $159 - $198 with lots of sizes available.

Stack the 15% on top (works as of 10:20am Monday, will probably expire very soon) and you have a killer deal!

Ex// Pro Team Aero Jersey + Pro Team Lightweight Bib shorts = $345 - 15% = $293+tax

[edit]: No longer applies now since it's the next day in the UK, the code expired.

Last edited by 604CEFIRO; 11-23-2015 at 03:11 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-26-2015, 10:01 AM   #6380
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Any sales at local bike stores?

I'm looking for a fast commuter, must have fender, rack mounts. Drop bars, disc brakes preferred, < 22 lbs would be great. Budget is less than $1500 including tax. I'm thinking some sort of cyclocross bike. Any suggestions?

Used would also be fine.

My current commuter (Giant OCR3) is on its last legs and I want to replace it.
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:48 AM   #6381

Kona Jake the Snake would be my vote.

That was my first road bike (cross bike). Has mounts for a pannier rack, tons of room for fenders. Newer versions come with disc brakes

Used one on craigslist size 53 for $1200 obo.: 2015 Kona Jake The Snake
This post thanked by:
Old 11-26-2015, 02:40 PM   #6382
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

^ Agreed. Either Jake the Snake, or even a regular Jake will suit your needs. Or a Norco Threshold. All have fender mounts. With a budget of $1500, you can find quite a few used cyclocross bikes.
Or you can even grab a brand new Ridley for $1500, depending on your size.
http://www.mec.ca/product/5038-416/r...10+20142+50013

Last edited by azncreationz; 11-26-2015 at 02:48 PM.
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-26-2015, 10:29 PM   #6383
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanks guys. I was browsing craigslist today and those seemed to be the most attractive two options.
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:56 AM   #6384
RS controls my life!

Lots of good cross bikes work double duty as a commuter. Kona Jake, Giant tcx, cannondale caadx, etc.

If going disc brakes, be weary of the rear caliper placement, if its on the seat stay it's a little bit harder to find a compatible rack. Most new bikes put them on the chainstay but be on the lookout for that on a used bike.

A few bikes come to mind that are more cross/road hybrids. So if you don't need clearance for 40c knobbies and don't want to be super slammed.

Trek crossrip
Specialized diverge
Kona rove
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2015, 08:07 PM   #6385
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
Some of you guys may remember my road bike was stolen in Feb and I saw it posted on CL a few months later. I wasn't able to get a hold of the seller and I appreciate the RS members that also tried to get a hold of the seller.

For anyone who's ever had their bike stolen, I have a story for you.

If you want the short, inaccurate version:
Frigid dip into fishing harbour no escape for alleged bike thief: RCMP - NEWS 1130

Here's the long version:
Last Friday I woke up at 3AM because my motion detector alarm which is located near my car went off. I run down to the parkade and see a man coming out with a bike and a bike trainer. The man greets me with a hello. I'm on strata council so I know most of the people who live in the building. I instantly recognize the bike trainer belonging to one of the residents.

I ask the guy WTF is he doing and he claims he's taking stuff from his friend. I challenge him and he takes off with the bike and the trainer. I chase him a few meters and he drops everything and runs out of the parkade and onto No2 Rd and turns right on London Rd. I am in decent shape but I can't believe how fast this guy can run. I chase after him after for about 300-400m when I lose him after the corner of London and Dyke road. This area is pitch black because there are no street lights. There are a few trucks parked so I look under and around the trucks. I hear the sounds of a guy groaning and I figure the guy is in the bushes. Nope, I see he's jumped into the Fraser river and is trying to swim across to the Steveston Marina dock. This is like in -2 C weather.

I see that the guy is able to climb up to the dock and heads west. I'm pretty sure there's no exit off the dock in that direction. I suspect he may need to jump into the water again to get off the dock. I call 911 and the RCMP show up after a few mins to search for the guy. I walk back to my building and notice a suspicious U-haul van parked in our visitor parking. This is weird since no one has applied to move out and the van is parked so that it's taking up 2 spots. I look through the van's rear window and see 3 bikes inside. I call the Non-emergency line and tell the RCMP about the van. They come to check it out and eventually decide to impound it after telling me they caught the thief.

In total, 4 bikes were stolen and 3 have been returned to their owners. The RCMP are looking for the owner of this bike:

- Red Norco mountain bike
- Red handles
- Stickers on the frame
- Blue pedals
- Bicycle repair kit under the seat

If you guys know anyone who had their bike stolen in the Richmond No2/Dyke road area on Nov 27 2015 matching the description, please contact

Spoiler!

I was feeling good that day since the guy was probably frozen and I heard he was taken down by the police dog.

Unfortunately, on Monday someone had broken into our parkade again and tried to break into my car. My Compustar went off at 2am and I ran down again but did not see anyone.
They didn't actually get into my car but I have some scratches around my door's window trim and window.

The RCMP officer who came said he heard of events that happened on Friday and told me the courts released the thief. I suspect he probably wanted revenge but the RCMP says the guy is just some junkie and isn't capable of that.

We'll see if he's foolish enough to try again.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:38 PM   #6386
RS controls my life!

Holy shit. Thanks, that totally made my day, esp the news article about him suffering from hypothermia.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:00 PM   #6387
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMASA View Post
I hear the sounds of a guy groaning and I figure the guy is in the bushes. Nope, I see he's jumped into the Fraser river and is trying to swim across to the Steveston Marina dock. This is like in -2 C weather.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:05 AM   #6388
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Nice work dude!! That must have been adrenaline pumping!!
I think you should sleep inside your car for the next few days, with a baseball bat ready! Can't believe the thief is back on the streets again already.
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:16 AM   #6389

A friend just told me about the story on Global's website.

Alleged bike thief dives into frigid Steveston Harbour to avoid police | Globalnews.ca

They have a picture of the bikes inside the van. The red one in front is the one that RCMP is looking for the owner.

Spoiler!
Old 12-02-2015, 08:10 AM   #6390

Pretty epic story IMASA lol! Great job!

May I ask in which building the theft happened in? Was it in the Diplomat Bakery building?

I actually live in the Nautica buildings, sucks to hear this shit go down in Steveston... I thought our community was far enough away from the sky trains to lure the bums and crack heads.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:16 AM   #6391

I live in London Station 2. London Station 1, 2 and the Diplomat bakery building share the same parkade. Unfortunately we are prone to thefts because there are multiple entrances to the parkade. Most of the folks in LS1 are dicks because they don't follow the rules like ensuring parkade doors are closed before driving out.

This guy stole 1 bike from LS2 and at least 2 bikes from LS1. LS1 has video surveillance so we're trying to get the property manager to show us the footage.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-02-2015, 01:20 PM   #6392
I subscribe to Revscene

you'd be surprised how fast/strong junkies are when they get going lol

well done on the chase IMASA! chalk one up for the good guys
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:39 PM   #6393
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_steve View Post
you'd be surprised how fast/strong junkies are when they get going lol

well done on the chase IMASA! chalk one up for the good guys
heres a good example how strong they are.

https://www.facebook.com/robert.mcin...3878069486320/
mc.jolaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:30 AM   #6394
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Holy shit it was slippery this morning. Every turn I was super careful not to clip in and my bike still slipped out underneath me twice. My wrist hurts from bracing for the fall. Ouch. Lot of "Oh shit" moments going over those stupid-ass speed bumps.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 05:53 PM   #6395
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Any recommendations for bike shops to check out caanondale bikes?

Should I get 105 components to start? Bike noob, but I'm in a position where I can bike to work instead of drive.

Thanks!
Old 12-16-2015, 06:07 PM   #6396
RS controls my life!

Caps Westwood and BSP both tend to stock a lot of Cannondale models if you wanted to see them in person. Normally I would say, start with 105, but the new Tiagra has hidden cables as well, so I guess it's up to you if you want 10 speed vs 11 speed.

My Feedback
TurboTalon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2015, 08:06 PM   #6397
RS controls my life!

If you're going to commute with it, there's no real benefit to 105. 10-speed is less finicky and parts will be cheaper to replace. The new Tiagra is a really nice group.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-18-2015, 07:47 AM   #6398

I would definitely use it outside of commuting to and from work. I was looking at something like a cyclocross because although my work commute would be on the roads, I would like to have the option of biking on grass/gravel paths like through a park or trail(nothing intense that a mountain bike would be more suited for as I don't really want one of those.)
Old 12-18-2015, 09:26 AM   #6399
RS controls my life!

I would have a look at the cannondale caadx tiagra or norco threshold aluminum 105 or norco's new Search aluminum in either tiagra or 105. I bet Caps in burnaby has all of these.

My Feedback
TurboTalon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-20-2015, 10:10 AM   #6400

Thoughts on a Cannondale Quick CX 2 vs the CAADX? The Quick CX 2 is a bit cheaper in price which is better for my wallet.

EDIT: Another possibility
Schwinn Super Sport CX

Any bike shops locally that carry Schwinn/this model, not sure what size I would need (S/M/L)

Last edited by TOS'd; 12-20-2015 at 10:43 AM.
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote