REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:23 PM   #6451
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZN6 View Post
Oh! Awesome, I did not know something like that existed, but it'll be the weekend before I can do anything to the bike. I pulled the trigger on a state black label wondering how bad it could be as a commuter. Worst decision.
Yup, it's a good resource for those who don't have the space for tools, or don't want to buy a tool to use once and store. Of course, there's membership fees though. Anyways, I do have a cheapie crank puller for you to borrow, you're welcome to come grab it.
It's this one: Sunlite Series III Crank Puller - Pedal Chic 651B S Main St Greenville SC 29601 2176 Bandywood Dr Nashville TN 37215
Advertisement
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:19 PM   #6452
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azncreationz View Post
Yup, it's a good resource for those who don't have the space for tools, or don't want to buy a tool to use once and store. Of course, there's membership fees though. Anyways, I do have a cheapie crank puller for you to borrow, you're welcome to come grab it.
It's this one: Sunlite Series III Crank Puller - Pedal Chic 651B S Main St Greenville SC 29601 2176 Bandywood Dr Nashville TN 37215
Ah, I checked out the site for the library but they don't have the bottom bracket tool I'm looking for .

Actually do you have the 20 tooth bottom bracket tool to remove the bb itself? I got the crank arm puller and took off the crank already. Thanks man! If you need any tools let me know. Got a few free wheel removers for single gears.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:33 PM   #6453

Yes, I believe I do have the bottom bracket socket. This one, right?
Filzer Bottom Bracket Tool - Shimano/Isis 2 - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available
Actually, I do might need a 6 slot Freewheel tool, specifically to install a ACS Freewheel...maybe down the line. I guess I don't really need one to install, since it'll self tighten, but to remove whenever that may be.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:08 PM   #6454
ZN6

Ah yeah that one will do, i have a parktools fr6 4 prong only. If you need to tighten i have a chain whip tool for that.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:22 AM   #6455

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZN6 View Post
Ah yeah that one will do, i have a parktools fr6 4 prong only. If you need to tighten i have a chain whip tool for that.
Get in touch with me, you still have my #?
Nah, I have the FR-6 and a couple of chain whip tools already, thanks. ACS makes a specific tool for their freewheels, was just checking if you had it.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:26 AM   #6456
ZN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by azncreationz View Post
Get in touch with me, you still have my #?
Nah, I have the FR-6 and a couple of chain whip tools already, thanks. ACS makes a specific tool for their freewheels, was just checking if you had it.
Ya man, I'll get in touch closer to the weekend. I'll come by and pick it up so it's not too inconvenient for you. Thanks man!!
Old 02-15-2016, 07:34 AM   #6457

And in other news, Wiggle and ChainReactionCycles are about to merge!

Wiggle and Chain Reaction Cycles are set to merge: So how did we get here and what does it all mean? | CyclingTips
Old 02-15-2016, 09:35 AM   #6458
RS controls my life!

As long as its called Chain Wiggle or Wiggle Reaction.
dton13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:27 AM   #6459
ZN6

Well, against my better judgement I bought a complete state black label and pretty much need to change out everything. While it is ridable now, I'll most likely get a new seat, new brakes and a set of new wheels and better track bars. The wheels come from the factory very slightly warped. Not wobble but it's not perfectly round. Putting on some vittorias helps a bit. Everything on this bike is a bit off. Should have just paid a bit more for a langster street or pick up a new langster frame and build on that.

Thanks azncreationz for the help with the bb tool. I still have to return it.

It sure beats having a stripped bike though:
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2016, 08:49 PM   #6460
Old School RS

Thanked 3,960 Times in 1,208 Posts
Hey guys,

I am getting back on my bike after signing up for the RTCC and need a few "essentials"... specifically a new pair of bib shorts, a pair of shoes, and would like a fluid trainer for home.

I live out in Port Moody and headed out to Caps on Westwood and we tried on a bunch of shoes... why is it that the $299 shoes always just seem to fit better than the $150 ones? (first world problems...) Any other road focused shops out this way I should be heading by?

Thanks in advance,
Mark
Old 02-28-2016, 09:05 PM   #6461

Aw dude, you just missed the South Shore Cyles this past weekend, lots of good deals there. All Gore Bike Wear was 50% off. Maybe head there tomorrow to see if they're extending the sale? Saw lots of bib shorts there. They were also clearing out lots of shoes for $49.
Also, Cap's Sapperton were having their own sale this past weekend as well and had a bunch of clearance shoes, maybe check there as well.
As for Port Moody bike shops, the only road shop I know of, closed a few months ago (Secret Cycles). Perhaps you can also check the other Cap's Westwood on Westwood in Coquitlam. There's also Kinetik Cycles, but they're more mtn orientated.
Good luck!
Old 02-28-2016, 09:12 PM   #6462
Old School RS

Actually I made it out for the sale - they didn't have any shoes that fit me unfortunately. By the time I got inside to look at bib shorts my gf was pretty much ready to go and we just kept finding XL stuff so we just headed out. In hindsight I wish I had spent a bit more time looking for shorts.

Cap's Westwood on Westwood is where I went and they were good and I found a pair of shoes that fit fantastic (I have wide feet so a shoe that comes in an extra wide is a must) but they are $299 and that's really above what I was hoping to spend, even though it's a good quality product.

Thanks for the suggestions,
Mark
Old 02-29-2016, 03:07 PM   #6463

Ah, I see. My bad, I thought you went to the Cap's on St. John's street since you said Port Moody. (Maybe you can try that one too) What size bib shorts are you looking for? Reason being, I have a couple extra pairs of Sugoi bib shorts, new with tags, that I don't think I'll be using this season.
I would also suggest MEC, since they carry a number of different brands now, and their guarantee is pretty good, since you can bring things back even if you've worn it & it doesn't work out for you.
If you're not in a rush, there's also the Vancouver Bike Show coming up the weekend of March 12 & 13 at the Vancouver Convention Centre. It's part of the Outdoor show, but they usually have some bike vendors and gear for sale there as well.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:17 PM   #6464
Old School RS

I'm not exactly sure what size I need - I'm 5'7 and 155lbs, I'd think maybe a medium? Thanks everybody for the suggestions, I'm off to India tomorrow but when I get back I will hit the ground running. Look forward to hopefully catching up for some rides when I return.

Mark
Old 03-02-2016, 09:40 PM   #6465
RS controls my life!

Anyone have a check wheelset/rear wheel that is 11 sp compatible for sale?
distanc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 03:44 PM   #6466

Anyone build anything over the winter? I just slapped this one together, it's been sitting in my bike room for a couple years now, and couldn't decide whether to fix it or what. Decided to single-speed it. It's a '90 Specialized RockHopper, yup, still made of steel back then.
Before:

After:

Don't bully me because I'm Special Ed, hence my anti-bullying colour.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2016, 06:11 PM   #6467
ZN6

∆∆∆

I'm still in the process of building up my black label. Honestly, it's gotten barely any riding time and I'm swapping out parts almost every other day. Bought a deda pista bar, sram rival brakes, inform bontrager saddle, new tires, new brake pads, this thing is a money pit.....

Will update with some pics later
Old 03-06-2016, 06:19 PM   #6468
ZN6

I rode yesterday when it was really nice out to UBC and interfered with one of their relays lolol.

Bar, brakes and saddle are all used. All came up to $60 bucks and were in pretty mint condition except a few scuffs here and there. Bar came with some bontrager end plugs which was nice.

Oh, also have some Sram s700 brake levers coming in tomorrow which replace the shit ones that came with the bike. Also Sram super gel bar tape to go on.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:45 PM   #6469
Mr.Spahkle, So BLING it hurts!

Congrats on the bike!

love state bicycles, i have one of their FGSS for commuting and stunting around steveston

[ edit ] what did the bike in total cost you? (not incl upgrades etc)

What are you going to use the bike for mainly? Pista bars are quite aggressive for street and you may find it difficult to mount brakes comfortably
604CEFIRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:33 AM   #6470
ZN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604CEFIRO View Post
Congrats on the bike!

love state bicycles, i have one of their FGSS for commuting and stunting around steveston

[ edit ] what did the bike in total cost you? (not incl upgrades etc)

What are you going to use the bike for mainly? Pista bars are quite aggressive for street and you may find it difficult to mount brakes comfortably
It cost me 780 taxes in, but 500 was subsidized from my work health and wellness account. This was stock from the factory price.

Gonna use it to around during the summer, in the winter, I'm probably gonna have a separate set of wheels and remove the brakes to take it to the velodrome. I was so close to getting a dolan pre cursa for $200 bucks for frame, fork, and seat post but the guy sold it before I could get my hands on it.

So I bought this state bike. The bike actually came with pista bars already which are shaped very awkward and these ones are far, far more comfortable. there is much more room before the drops to mount a brake rather than the stock pista bars that come with stock set up. I hate those with a passion and the stock brake levers are horrible so I got a set of sram s700s coming in to mount.

I really should have just bought the frame, would have saved me a ton. The wheels on this bike weigh about 4lbs EACH. This bike is not light for a SG/FG. I might change out the headset at some point as the stock one isn't very smooth. will probably go an entry level FSA headset. I hear from people that it is light years better than the stock black label headset.

Last edited by ZN6; 03-07-2016 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:38 AM   #6471
ZN6

Stock pistas are very uncomfortable and flare out weird. The deda's are so much nicer and are lighter
Old 03-08-2016, 09:39 AM   #6472
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Where do you guys buy bolts and plastic ends for your fenders?

I have SKS fenders on my other bike and the eyebolts and caps have gone missing. I tried Caps in Richmond but they don't have them.
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:14 PM   #6473
RS controls my life!

How many bolts do you need? I don't use those caps anymore, they just wear down eventually. I just sand the top of the stay smooth.

I go through about 1.5 sets of fenders every winter, I may have a few to spare.
dton13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:37 PM   #6474
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Consulting revscene wisdom! I'm planning to making the plunge into road bikes, and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed as to which bike ( and how much $$ ) to get. I've checked out several bike shops in town, and the ones I've been recommended are

1) 2016 Felt Z3 disc - priciest of the bunch, but ultegra groupset + shimano hydraulic disc
2) 2016 Felt Z4 disc - sram rival groupset + hydraulic disc
3) 2015 Specialized roubaix SL4 comp - ultegra components, 105 brakes, praxis crank
4) 2016 Trek Emonda S5 / SL5 / S6 / SL6 - $400 for 105 -> ultegra, $600 for improved carbon frame ( stiffer )

The cheapest of the bunch would be the 2016 Trek Emonda S5, which comes with 105 groupset + carbon frame.

I'm not using the bike as a daily commuter, but I do plan on riding it to and from work in the summer when it's not raining. Otherwise, riding with friends, myself around town on the weekends and etc. No plans on joining races etc.

Should I pay extra for disc or is it not worth it at my level? Should I start with the entry level bike ( Emonda S5 ), or should I pay extra to get a better bike ( Felt Z3 disc )? I'm open to suggestions as well.

And for pedals, 105 or ultegra ( going clipless ) ? Does it matter? And shoes? Helmets? Man, this bike business is information overload!
(604) White 2014 BMW 335i xDrive, 05/15 - 01/17
(604) Blue 2017 BMW 240i xDrive, 01/17 - 12/20
(604) White 2021 Tesla Model 3 SR+, 12/20 - Present

Last edited by ntan; 03-13-2016 at 11:47 PM.
ntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:13 AM   #6475
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
imo, get about 3-4 hours free to go to a bike shop and try the bikes, helmet, and shoes. everyone has different taste and preference. For instance, I went with a Ridley even though all my bike friends told me to go with a cervelo due to their experiences. I choice the former because it just felt "right" when i test rode the bike.

Ideally, a better option is to go with the better ultegra groupset if you have the cash. but imo, the 105 is already quite sufficient for the recreational rider. I had it on my Focus for 3 years without any issues. Every year, I would take it to my LBS to get it tuned and checked.

It seems like disc brakes are starting to become the next trend and 'common' option for road bikes. And i think it would not be a bad idea to adapt this setup on road bikes, especially with Vancouver's weather condition. That being said, I would go with number 2.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote