REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-16-2014, 02:01 PM   #376
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

These women have balls, I'm having dinner with a ladyfriend on a patio last night and while we are having a conversation they reach over the patio with a box and start asking for change. After I said I dont have any change, they immediately turn to her and start asking her, I rage and jumped up out of my seat and yelled screw off and they ran away.

I get this look from the date and "Why are you so rude???"

Because RS.
Advertisement
rriggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:17 PM   #377
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
They just came in again to our office. Before they had their foot into the room while walking out of the lobby I stood up and said "Out" and pointed at the door.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2014, 02:26 PM   #378
Banned (ABWS)

How has it been deduced that this is a legit scam? I've worked with lots of Phillipinos to know they are one of the hardest working immigrants. They basically work their asses off 24/7 and then send money back to their families to help them out of poverty.

There's a reason why companies hire foreign temp workers like Phillipinos. They don't slack off, call in sick, skip work because they dont feel like coming in. They are definition of hard nosed blue collar work individuals. Not to mention Phillipino food is top notch
Shark Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2014, 02:26 PM   #379
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
Best thing for anybody asking for money is to look like dead in the eye and say "I don't give out change"

My buddy did it to a woman at highgate, and her face was legit priceless.. I almost died laughing.
I said this and they asked for a bill instead.

Probably had the same reaction on my face as your buddy
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:36 PM   #380
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
Have anyone of you guys see these Chinese monks asking for money?

I've seen them in HK and now I see more and more of them here in Vancouver.
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:42 PM   #381
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Tank View Post
How has it been deduced that this is a legit scam?
Filipino scammers =/= Filipino people. I get what you're saying in your email and I think you have the wrong impression of what this thread is about.

Nobody is painting all Filipinos with the same brush or trying to discuss how they are terrible people.

There are a number of news stories on the issue:

Donating to Philippines typhoon victims? Watch out for these scams

Charity scam hits shoppers - Winnipeg | Globalnews.ca

Typhoon Haiyan donations: how to avoid the scams - British Columbia - CBC News

Local Filipino community reacts to charity scam - Star News Inc: News

Commons Children's Joy Foundation Charity Scam · Community Discussions · myUMBC

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i...r_typhoon.html

Donating to Philippines typhoon victims? Watch out for scams - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/so...ctims-1.953619

Its the same as saying not all people from Ghana are pretending to be African princes on the Internet. We know its true, but there are just so many stories of scams out there in the public consciousness that have been going on for literally YEARS (as has this thread) if you see some folks asking for money to donate to the Philippines for X reason, you just naturally suspect its a scam.
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:45 PM   #382
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
in4

El Bastardo befriends a filipino donation scammer !

snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:50 PM   #383
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,696 Times in 1,625 Posts
Once I was approached, asking me for money in front of a save-on-foods because they had to buy milk for their two kids.

I asked for their names and was told 13 year old Mark, 9 year old James (or something or other) - I knew it was probably a lie, but dearly hoping it wasn't a lie, I gave them $10.

A few weeks later, same person, same story - so I asked for the kids names again...and suddenly it was 12 year old Fred and 6 year old Kevin.

I asked what happened to Mark and James, advised them that if they're going to lie, at least use the same lie, and told them to fuck off lol
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2014, 02:59 PM   #384
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
How has it been deduced that this is a legit scam? I've worked with lots of Phillipinos to know they are one of the hardest working immigrants. They basically work their asses off 24/7 and then send money back to their families to help them out of poverty.

There's a reason why companies hire foreign temp workers like Phillipinos. They don't slack off, call in sick, skip work because they dont feel like coming in. They are definition of hard nosed blue collar work individuals. Not to mention Phillipino food is top notch

Nobody is accusing filipinos of being slackers or lazy workers. i agree that they are one of the most hard working people around but the issue here is there is a growing number of filipinos taking advantage of disasters happening around and asking for donations/charities just to make profit. How do i know they are scammers? well quite honestly, i dont. I dont have a clue where the money goes or what they do with it but you ask them the same question and they cannot give you a straight answer either nor can they give any real proof or documentation that it is going to a good cause and just try to divert the question. All they have is a 3 ring binder with a couple pictures of disasters taken from google image and show them to bypassers. What makes it worse is their method of asking which lacks decency. I wont go into details as this thread already has a few examples of methods they use to ask for money but point is, these people need to stop being heartless for the sake of money.

for the sake of the arguement, i am filipino.

Last edited by haymura; 05-16-2014 at 05:00 PM.
haymura is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2014, 03:17 PM   #385
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rriggi View Post
After I said I dont have any change, they immediately turn to her and start asking her, I rage and jumped up out of my seat and yelled screw off and they ran away.

I get this look from the date and "Why are you so rude???"

Because RS.

Keeping your cool is totally how you get laid, losing your temper dries up a vagina faster than an empty wallet
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2014, 03:51 PM   #386
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 124Y View Post
They came into my work place just 30 mins ago, playing the guitar and the violin and shit. Told them to GTFO.
They came to my work and did the same thing Thursday
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:01 PM   #387

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
at my work a lot of these foreign coin comes through

i gave them two and the reaction on their face was priceless.
Alby is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2014, 08:44 PM   #388
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
they got a free small ice cream
Old 05-16-2014, 08:50 PM   #389

Thanked 2,747 Times in 699 Posts
I live in Toronto...

Two days ago I was approached by a philipino lady in Dollarama asking for money with the same MO as the ones in Vancouver.

Looks like they have gone national!
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:09 PM   #390
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Let's all hope they get cancer and die soon. Tired of people asking for money and shit
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-20-2015, 06:22 AM   #391

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Don't be surprised to see these people at your local grocery store. Went to Superstore last night and got approached by one of these ladies. Started off with gong hay fat choi, then shoves me some print out of some charity. I told her CNY is a Chinese holiday, doesn't have anything to do with the Phillipines and walked away.

Good on them for working after hours for these charitable organizations.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:35 AM   #392
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,494 Times in 1,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
Don't be surprised to see these people at your local grocery store. Went to Superstore last night and got approached by one of these ladies. Started off with gong hay fat choi, then shoves me some print out of some charity. I told her CNY is a Chinese holiday, doesn't have anything to do with the Phillipines and walked away.

Good on them for working after hours for these charitable organizations.

These greedy ladies are trying to take away our red pocket money!!
Old 02-20-2015, 09:33 AM   #393

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
I saw some of them at the steveston temple...Im really questioning whether or not theyre legit and why the hell theyre doing it. There was like 3 ladies and they just have this box with a slit on top and they werent even carrying any pamphlet at all...this was at like 1am too

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2015, 10:01 AM   #394
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Was approached by 2 scammers in front of the London drugs on kingsway by joyce. They were sold rude, I barely got out of my car, I opened my door and was still sitting in my seat when they approached and gave their spiel . I got out and said Sorry im not interested, blah blah blah, and they keep asking.

I asked for a license or something to prove they are legit and they gave this really fake ass laminated card thing. I was going to look it up on my phone to prove them it's fake. but didn't want to waste my time so said sorry not interested. They got really agitated that I would ask about their legitimacy and said I was rude. I just kept walking away.

BTW this was at like 9:30 at night as well.

Last edited by iEatClams; 02-20-2015 at 10:01 AM. Reason: BTW this was at like 9:30 at night.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:11 AM   #395
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,110 Times in 602 Posts
You should've offered to eat their clams for donation
mk1freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:53 AM   #396
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
kingsway/joyce at night asking for 'donations'?

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2015, 11:31 AM   #397
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:

I am Filipino and personally don't find any of this racist. Upsetting, maybe, that the stereotype of "Filipino scammer" is so common due to the bad apples in my group, but like all stereotypes they exist for a a reason.

For starters, none of these so-called donation seekers have any ID from the organizations they claim to work for, no uniforms, lanyards, hats, shirts etc. Not to mention most of them stutter/sound uncertain when asked about the actual organization itself that they supposedly represent. A lot of them are really rude too, and will grab you/pull on your jacket or arm if you walk away. Salvation Army, UNICEF, Red Cross etc., people generally don't do that. Legit organizations also never use kids - unless it's something FOR kids like Girl Guides/Boy Scouts, kiddie sports teams, etc - to get money.

I don't disagree that the majority of Filipino people I know are hard working people, my mom and dad are the hardest working people I know. But it's similar to the 5% of the East Indian population that are "Surrey Jacks", the 5% of Mainlanders who are rude and unclassy, or the 5% of the Vietnamese population who are wannabe gangbangers... the negative stereotypes often cast a shadow on the whole.

Btw Filipino food sucks compared to Chinese/Vietnamese/Japanese food. I'm Filipino though, so it may be just me tired of eating the same shit for the past 22 years...
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:13 PM   #398
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
^I agree with all of your points except the food thing. Admittedly I don't eat Filipino every day (only when I visit my parents which is a few days a week), but I crave home food as much as I crave sushi/pho/luc lac/ramen/etc when those cravings hit.

Like you my parents raised 3 kids with almost nothing, and I try when I can to return the favour. These scummy scam artists make it so hard to help the Filipinos that really need the help that I basically just donate to Red Cross and let them deal with dispersing the funds.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:29 PM   #399
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

This past Christmas I was at metro sitting on a bench waiting for a friend. Two Filipino ladies comes by, one of them hands me an envelope that says something about asking for a donation. Then she opens up her folder and reveals the names of others who have donated, hands me a pen...

Told her I wasn't interested...
Lady: HONEY!! It's for a good cause!!!
Me: no thanks, not interested
Lady: BUT HONEY! Its for a good cause!
Me: no I am not interested...

Quote:
Originally posted by european
i'd say its a bear... from what i've learned from winnie the pooh. you should be able to lure it with some honey.. and it'll be your friend for life!! then you'll meet his friends.. that crazy owl!! and that lazy ass donkey.. whats his name.. Eore or something.. if you meet his llitte piggy friend.. roast him and eat some ribs!! hahahaha.. wtf am i on!! hahaha i'm going nuts over here!!!
Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:38 PM   #400
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStars View Post
I saw some of them at the steveston temple...Im really questioning whether or not theyre legit and why the hell theyre doing it. There was like 3 ladies and they just have this box with a slit on top and they werent even carrying any pamphlet at all...this was at like 1am too
Probably trying to scam the people giving donations to the temple thinking thats what they are doing if they gave them the money. I didn't see them there, but I also went earlier than 1 am.