REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:37 PM   #201
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,647 Times in 2,303 Posts
gotta admit our logo was sick

grizzlie + orcha

preety badasss combo
Advertisement
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-19-2012, 04:46 PM   #202
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by will068 View Post
haha exactly.

If you check out the crowds in the past exhibition games and Steve Nash Charity Games, the crowds are mostly white and surprisingly - blacks (like wow, where do the blacks hide in the city ?) .
If Kings were to move here, and were somehow able to get JLin here to play.

Let see, how many Blacks vs White vs Banana Skin Color are at the seat.

You'll probably notice, more Chinese Grandma or C-lais in Kings attendance than you would see in Canucks game in which you have all kind of age groups to be the fan base.

However, it would probably be terrible idea, since the ticket price would be higher than normal, the Asian will also behind the ticket price scalping like the housing price =(
i-VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #203
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pure.life View Post
Btw, our logo was sick
What logo???

Quote:
Originally Posted by d87c View Post
Not all owner have their main goal is to win Championship, mostly they just want to make profit. Right not, Kings in Sac is not making any profit.
Or they're just ballin' playboys who need to own a major sports franchise to keep up with their buds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #204
Banned (ABWS)

needs chinese players in the team for it to work in vancouver. all the fobs would buy up all season tickets in a heartbeat.
niu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #205
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by niu99 View Post
needs chinese players in the team for it to work in vancouver. all the fobs would buy up all season tickets in a heartbeat.
They thought the samething with a franchise white player, aka Big Country. That worked out splendid.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:39 PM   #206
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

The Ric Bucher interview
Kevin Calabro Show - Podcasts - MyNorthwest.com
kingprince22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:48 PM   #207
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-spec View Post
the NBA is one of those pro sports leagues where you can screw and fck up anything and everything you touch, leave your job and go work for another team or end up in the NBA front office like Stu. Stu hit teh big payday when he moved up, me and my friends always joke around how he must have had some major dirt on some bigshot NBA execs to have weaseled his way into that job.

Happens with head coaches all the time especially they just move to another team when they get fired or leave, on a similar note I can't understate how idiotic it is to have a guy who used to be a gotdang video co-ordinator (yes the guy with no playing nor coaching background whatsoever in the video room chopping up clips making copies for players) to move his ass up all the way to head coaching position. That just blows my mind, and there's a handful of coaches like that in the NBA currently, it's almost like going from the mail room to being CEO of a company.
You mean like Bob Ackles?
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #208
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Quote:
Never say never.

LA Laker was crappy team before they got Paul/Odom.
I stopped reading d87c's posts after this....Clearly, someone who thinks a guy named Paul Gasol plays for the Lakers doesn't know what he's talking about...
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #209
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
Quote:
Never say never.

LA Laker was crappy team before they got Paul/Odom. They even thought about trading Kobe haha.

Boston is another example, before Ray Allen, KG, they were on terrible, lost tons of games.

Vancouver Grizzlies was a team at that time due to not enough fan base. All I can say is the timing wasn't right at that time

Look at it now after they moved, with hiring the right GM and Coaches, they were able to change everything around with more fan base in Memphis. They beat San Antonio and almost beat OKC in last year's playoff

Another example would be the Seattle Sonic, now the OKC Thunder. Smart GM, lands 2 big superstars through draft.

Memphis/OKC even tho they can't compare to City like LA, to attract free agents. But with the Right Hiring of GM any team can be successful.

Btw, wouldn't you agree the Vancouver City > Memphis , Vancouver > OKC?

If Basketball would come here again, and more and more mainlander from China, HK, Taiwan immigrates here, I would like to see how many seats Canucks and XXX Basketball sells. Maybe Canucks will in the beginning, but I highly doubt it will stay that way

AGAIN.. the asian population would make a small chunk of what would support the team. Selling tickets is only HALF the issue here. Corporate support is whats going to drive the team to success. Ownership is also going to play an important factor. No owner is stupid enough to try to bring a team to vancouver and even try to take a chunk of revenue from the Canucks. Unless Canucks Sports and Entertainment are the ones making the NBA possible in town, the NBA isn't going to come here. At the same time, the speculation around the NBA is that unless IT IS Aquilini owning a team, there is no chance in hell that Vancouver is going to get a team.

The Grizzlies failed because of the dollar, bad management and the owners just ddint support the team. Understand that during that time, the Canucks were NOT in the best shape either, and was slowly slowly on the rebuild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pure.life View Post
Vancouver would undoubtedly be known as "China's" team with all the investors here coming from the Mainland. Just think of Mariners and Ichiro. Everyone in Japan knows the Mariners because of Ichiro and half of their ads have some sort of Japanese in them. Likewise, if a NBA team do land themselves in Vancouver again and given that we have some decent Asian players, the team will be backed by not only fans in Vancouver but their origin - China.

Monetary support will not be an issue

But all these may just be wishful thinking
The Mariners work because Nintendo owns them. Unless theres a big name COMING from China to play on this team, you can kiss chinese sponsorship goodbye.

Quote:
Not all owner have their main goal is to win Championship, mostly they just want to make profit. Right not, Kings in Sac is not making any profit. However, moving to Vancouver, would definitely be a good investment. Moreover, if they were to get JLin, to play for them, I dont know if everyone will be talking about Canucks, or the Basketball team. Even if JLin turns out to be not as big as a star like that week of amazing performance, it would still be best advertising tool to make a lot of money like how Huston use Yao Ming, but Yao was a great player. All in all, as long as owners can make money, whether is through ticket sales or advertisement, owners will tend to move to that area.

Furthermore, look how JLin created a hugh buzz. He plays for New York, not even here in Vancouver. He affected a lot of countries.

Since when Canucks, were able to create that kind of buzz like how Lin, 1 person, did.

Also, have you seen Floyd Mayweather making fun of Canucks or ESPN =)

J-Lin created BUZZ...and he plays in NYC...ever heard of the "east coast biased media"? Your also comparing the NHL to the NBA... yea good luck with that.

Vancouver needs a player in which the NBA needs to HELP market from the ground up in order for it to work. Yao Ming's camp along with the Rockets and the NBA had a buncha deals and such in place to make it happen. Its why you see Chinese advertising at Rockets games.

At the same time, the NBA left this city with a really big sour note. its why you see so many haters about the subject.

Lastly, this is my own personal opinion, the building is gonna be a key factor. CSE owns the building, meaning another ownership group brinigng in a team will need to work out a lease with them. Have fun competing with a GIANT in this city for the same dollars
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:10 PM   #210
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyzy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
when i heard a commentator describe the coach's previous position i was like

wasn't it erik spolstra?

don't know Bob Ackles is, lol, but just off the top of my head this year that I know off, I'm pretty sure there is more, yea Erik Spoelstra (heat), Kalen Canales (blazers) Frank Vogel (pacers)

fck's sake, lol

Old 04-19-2012, 10:16 PM   #211

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Quote:
don't know Bob Ackles is, lol, but just off the top of my head this year that I know off, I'm pretty sure there is more, yea Erik Spoelstra (heat), Kalen Canales (blazers) Frank Vogel (pacers)
Frank Vogel has done a fucking TREMENDOUS job with the Pacers....That team was 100x better when he took over midseason last year.
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:25 PM   #212
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Bibby was such a great player that ended up being wasted in Vancouver
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:28 PM   #213
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
NBA is a sport that is only successful if there are superstars without it, its just a mickey mouse team. Toronto cant even attract stars to stay although they drafted some pretty high end forwards.

Rather have a MLB team here and just chill at the baseball stadium on a hot summer day in Vancouver. They should model the stadium by waterfront similar to AT&T park (SF giants)

Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #214
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 4,387 Times in 1,145 Posts
baseball team? why? you have problems falling asleep?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) hi there
(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・$$$$$゜゜・。*。・゜*✧ .

xxx~*…like dis post if u cry evry time…~*xxx
DanHibiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:47 PM   #215
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
Shareef really represented what it was like to be a Vancouver Grizzly
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:52 PM   #216
I don't get it

^^ Put up nice stats but never make a difference?

hotshot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:33 PM   #217

Quote:

fck's sake, lol

Damn, epitome of laziness in big cunt right there.

Seriously, big man, soft hands, damn dude, what a waste. Hire a a personal trainer ad personal chef and work out everyday.

I still remember the article about his mom serving him 10 fried eggs, a dozen pancakes, and tons of bacon every morning during the off season. Seriously ? wtf man..
Old 04-19-2012, 11:34 PM   #218

Wow , Shareef is Assistant Manager for the Kings.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:18 AM   #219

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
i remember his fan club used to be called the Reefers Club
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:00 AM   #220
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyzy View Post
Quote:
it's almost like going from the mail room to being CEO of a company.
Quote:
don't know Bob Ackles is,

Bob Ackles was the first-ever water boy for the BC Lions when they started... rose to eventually be a bigwig with the CFL, NFL, played a major part in forming the XFL, and came back to be president of the Lions and help bring them out of teh suck they were in for most of the late 90s.

I've never been big on reading bios, but his is really amazing. Check it out sometime, if you know how to read.

Yeah, he looked like a dorky, geeky little guy... but he was absolutely brilliant in sports business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #221
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Vancouver will never get a MLB team. You need big money to even have a remote chance of competing with the powerhouse teams. Look at the condition of the Seattle M's; they had the lowest attendance ever last night with something like a 11,000 fans showing up. And it's going to take them a few years just to have a shot at the post season.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:22 PM   #222

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
Michael Heisley passed away today.
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-26-2014, 05:39 PM   #223
Fanboy

Holy thread revive.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:01 PM   #224