REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > #RevsceneVLS General Chat

#RevsceneVLS General Chat SOCIAL LIFESTYLES ADSPACE AVAILABLE. CONTACT INFO@BLITZGEAR.COM
2016 VLS Community Head Moderator: SaucyWoman
2016 Social Media Liason: Blitzgear

@Revscene #RevsceneVLS. Vancouver LifeStyles Discussions: Car-free, political and current events, random thoughts, or topics that don't fit in the other forums. Remember to check out feature articles on the Main Website

Old 06-11-2019, 12:19 AM   #2726
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,532 Times in 1,519 Posts
People who offer you $200 on a $1200 item. Like if you're too broke for this, maybe you should just take transit you cheap fuck.

Or

People who say "oh yeah I'm trying to save money for xyz" well maybe you should save money.

Or

"Btw I'm 17 and I'm paying for everything out of pocket. Even diy-ing stuff to save money." Cool, good for you. Is that supposed to change anything for me? Do you expect me to give you a break cause you're young? In fact, I'd be doing you a favor, by teaching you that you need to work hard to get things you want. Hell, I do a lot of work on my E46 myself - to save money.

I don't get lowballing. Maybe I don't know the art of it, but I hate haggling. I'd rather buy something at a price that I'm comfortable at, and the seller feels good at letting it go for.

Also people in GVRD would rather make low-ball offers on an already cheap replica wheel, than a genuine wheel. My BBS CH were sold in the states for $600 USD, what most people here considered a laughable price. It was a very satisfying transaction, quick and easy. US buyer was great to deal with.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Advertisement
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-22-2019, 03:05 PM   #2727
I don't get it

when people come in to the store just 1 min before closing, and they spend extra 15-20 after closing on some stupid request, and then doesnt even buy anything.

like dude come 15-20 before we close i would be happy to help you...

Time goes by puffing on lye, hopin that it gets me high!
da-suu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 03:19 PM   #2728

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Probably dealt with the biggest prick asshole in my entire life. Had a inflatable beach lounger for sale, brand new. Met the guy up, guy being Japanese asked if he can test it out to make sure there's no leaks. I said sure, as it's new and I never opened it. We assemble it together and he sits on it for 5 minutes, didn't look impressed after saying shouldn't the lounger be "stiff still with full air" as he feels there could be a leak, I said I'm not sure since I don't have experience owning one of these. He asks, let me sit for another 5 minutes, another 5 goes by, still not impressed. Asks to sit for another 5 minutes, another 5 goes by, at this point I'm starting to get annoyed. His main concern is leaks.

Told him, LOOK if there's a leak, you would be sitting on the floor by now deflated. Jumping on and off and sitting on and off for so many times, there's bound to be some air loss over time since these are not "ROCK TIGHT SEAL". Then he's like, I don't want to buy.

At this point, I flipped the fuck out on him. Literally wasted 20 minutes of my time. I told him if he's so concerned, why doesn't he go buy in store and tells me it's faster to buy private. Bro, I was kind enough to let you test it with the assumption everything is good you'll buy. EVERYTHING CLEARLY IS GOOD, the fact he feels it's "CHINA QUALITY" made him not want it anymore.

Told him to go "fuck himself" then he starts talking about how my race of people are always making enemies. At no point did I mention about races, this racist piece of shit.

When you are trying to sell an item and being kind to offer the gesture to let them test and they claim your item is not good quality. If quality and assurance is concerns to begin with, just go pay full premium price in store, why try to cut any short cuts to save money or time.
Euro7r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 07:16 PM   #2729
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by da-suu View Post
when people come in to the store just 1 min before closing, and they spend extra 15-20 after closing on some stupid request, and then doesnt even buy anything.

like dude come 15-20 before we close i would be happy to help you...
Had a garage sale this morning, old couple shows up 2 hours before it starts while we’re still getting prepared. Tell him to come back later, he says “we came all the way from Chemainus and we’re not coming back if we go home.” I live halfway between Duncan and Chemainus, so Chemainus is literally a 5-minute drive away and I was rolling my eyes hard as a result. I tell him, “That’s your call, bud. We’re not ready yet and we still have a lot of work to do.”

Of course, my fiancee chimes in and tells me not to be rude, she’d be happy to show them what we have.

Naturally, she spends 45 minutes showing them stuff, they leave without buying anything, and we’re not ready at the time we were supposed to start when a bunch of people came.

I worked in retail for 13 years, these people that think opening/closing times don’t apply to them are always fucking time vampires. I used to hate it when one of my managers would let those people in early because they never had any intention of buying something. My fiancee never worked retail, hopefully she learned a lesson.

Last edited by Jmac; 06-22-2019 at 07:27 PM.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-24-2019, 02:29 PM   #2730
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

My 4th Autocross event and I STILL don't see any other rotaries, RX-8 or RX-7 or any older rotaries.

Feel so lonely when I see the Miata gang and BRZ/FR-S/86 gang.

I guess some people do just buy the 8 because it's cheap and looks "cute." *sigh*

Someone advised me to make it out to the Victoria Revscene meet, see if there are any other rotaries and try to persuade them. I might do just that.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:34 PM   #2731
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Had a garage sale this morning, old couple shows up 2 hours before it starts while we’re still getting prepared. Tell him to come back later, he says “we came all the way from Chemainus and we’re not coming back if we go home.” I live halfway between Duncan and Chemainus, so Chemainus is literally a 5-minute drive away and I was rolling my eyes hard as a result. I tell him, “That’s your call, bud. We’re not ready yet and we still have a lot of work to do.”

Of course, my fiancee chimes in and tells me not to be rude, she’d be happy to show them what we have.

Naturally, she spends 45 minutes showing them stuff, they leave without buying anything, and we’re not ready at the time we were supposed to start when a bunch of people came.

I worked in retail for 13 years, these people that think opening/closing times don’t apply to them are always fucking time vampires. I used to hate it when one of my managers would let those people in early because they never had any intention of buying something. My fiancee never worked retail, hopefully she learned a lesson.
I find there’s 2 kind of “there 10 minutes before opening” people. The seniors and others that literally have NOTHING BETTER TO DO, and the goal for that day is to just not die. So spending 3 hours to buy a bag of onions is a pretty good deal!

Or you get the people that are in at 9:01am and out by 9:17am with a $500 cart full of groceries because they’ve got it down to a god damned science.

You know what really grinds my gears? How people make left turns in Richmond. I’ll watch that green advance left turn arrow flash for 8-10 seconds before the first car even gets through the intersection. What the fuck were you doing? Also how people just assume it’s ok to turn left on a red. Even if they’re the 3rd car back and are no where near the intersection, because it turns yellow they feel it’s ok to just keep going and going and then it blocks the other direction of traffic from making their left turns! Fuck right off!
Old 06-24-2019, 03:50 PM   #2732

Corolla/Camry driver logic:

35 km/h in a 50 zone
45 km/h in a school zone
Back to 35 km/h 15 seconds after exiting school zone

70 km/h in 80 zone (in left lane, obviously)
80 km/h in 60 zone
Accelerate at snail’s pace at any intersection

This post thanked by:
Old 06-24-2019, 05:56 PM   #2733

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Corolla/Camry driver logic:

35 km/h in a 50 zone
45 km/h in a school zone
Back to 35 km/h 15 seconds after exiting school zone

70 km/h in 80 zone (in left lane, obviously)
80 km/h in 60 zone
Accelerate at snail’s pace at any intersection

You forgot a key player:

Prius
This post thanked by:
Old 06-27-2019, 12:02 PM   #2734

You know what grinds my gears? Tipping.

I always tip. But the more I think about it, I hate it. On the news it was just talking about your vacations and how you should tip the hotel. “Don’t forget to tip the front desk staff. Hotel maids should be about $5-10 per person per day. Don’t forget hotel shuttle! Bartender should be at least 20% yadda yadda”

Alright. I gotta put my foot down somewhere. If I’m already paying $300 a night for this hotel, I EXPECT A CLEAN ROOM! If you’re already paying your front desk staff to sign me in and give me a room key, then they are already being paid for the job they were literally hired to do, so why should I have to pay extra?

I googled “is it ok to not tip” and this was the answer

Quote:
No, it is never okay to stiff your server. If the server is responsive and takes care of you, leave 20%-25%. Even if service is mediocre, leave something reasonable - say 15% instead of 20%. The servers really do depend on your tip and it will be a financial hardship if you stiff them
Get fucked!!! It is 100% okay to not tip. Just like bonus marks on a school project, a tip is earned by going above and beyond the call of duty. If all you do is take my order, bring my food, maybe refill my drink, why should that merit an extra 20% on my $50 meal. The restaurant charges me Xxx amount for this meal. That should include your wages.

I always tip. I was raised that way. But at some point this craziness has to stop. When I get take-out from my local fav food joints, I don’t tip. Should I? Really there’s no difference. The waite staff is getting paid their hourly wage regardless of whether I eat in or take out.

Above and beyond service, it should not be expected no matter what
Old 06-27-2019, 12:22 PM   #2735

Tipping has gotten completely out of hand to the point where the AVERAGE server is making equal to many skilled occupations (e.g. nurses, tradespeople, etc.)

It’s pretty ridiculous pay for people who take orders and deliver food and beverages.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:31 PM   #2736

I just wanted to add, and I know it’s not a fair comparison to Michelin star restaurants... but

Why don’t we tip at McDonald’s? Where do we draw the line? The guilt-trip argument about servers making shitty wages is a moot point. McDonald’s workers make shit pay. The same way there is a person taking my order, preparing my food, plating it etc. Hell if you are that shitty kind of person who leaves a table dirty at McDonald’s there is also staff paid to clean that up. So how is it so much different?

I mean compare white spot or Boston pizza to McDonald’s. 90% of the food is just as pre-made as fast food restaurants. That coleslaw comes out of a tub, don’t kid yourself. So why do they get tips and not McDonald’s?
Old 06-27-2019, 12:34 PM   #2737
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
^ thank the US for bastardizing tipping. 15% for crappy service? Why should we pay extra when someone did a crap job? It's supposed to be for the rare time someone goes above and beyond, not for doing the bare minimum of their job description, but some jobs started getting tipped such stupid amounts the min wage for those jobs dropped so now if they don't get tipped they make hardly anything (Canada isn't like that though, so fuck off with asking for tips for doing the bare minimum). Pay workers a normal wage, abolish tipping and just charge me what it costs to do things instead of this bullshit where the restaurant/hotel/cruise lists X amount but wants you to pay an extra percentage on top. If my meal costs $25 just charge me $25, not $20 plus a tip.

If other industries did this they'd get fined for false advertising. A new Civic is $18k so they list it for $18k, it's not $15k with a 20% tip.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:

Last edited by underscore; 06-27-2019 at 12:41 PM.
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-27-2019, 12:36 PM   #2738
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
Move to Vietnam, no tipping there
Fafine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:40 PM   #2739

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
I mean compare white spot or Boston pizza to McDonald’s. 90% of the food is just as pre-made as fast food restaurants. That coleslaw comes out of a tub, don’t kid yourself. So why do they get tips and not McDonald’s?
Things may have changed, but at Kelly O'Bryans everything is just reheated except the chicken, which they still managed to fuck up and give me and my girlfriend at the time food poisoning about a decade ago. McDonald's manages to not mess that up and it's about as difficult to put a drink into a glass as a paper cup. Half the time the service in a restaurant is even shittier if you get a server with a shit attitude who expects big tips because they're attractive.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 06-27-2019, 01:21 PM   #2740
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,346 Times in 973 Posts
This is why i go to Starbucks sometimes over some mom and pop coffee shops. Starbucks, zero tip on their tap so i don't get the snobby hipsters on fraser / commercial drive expecting me to tip on a take out order.

FU on take outs and asking for a tip. FU on asking a tip for newspaper delivery. FU on pressuring me to tip at a club bathroom cause u're standing in front of the sink while i'm trying to wash my ahnds.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-27-2019, 03:10 PM   #2741
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 5,279 Times in 603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafine View Post
Move to Vietnam, no tipping there
Not exactly a model country lol. Restaurants in VN will slyly charge you for using napkins, extra utensils, takeout containers, etc without telling you upfront about the charges

Consider Japan instead, where tipping is seen as an insult. Virtually zero tipping culture there, and they always strive to deliver the best customer service because IT'S THEIR JOB/DUTY. Unlike the entitled North American monkeys we have here.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:33 PM   #2742

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Call me cheapo, I've done more take out food than sit in these days. Don't have to tip on take outs haha.
Euro7r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:12 PM   #2743
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

you be surprised how many people tip 20% on takeouts or $5 on $13 dollars worth of food.
Fact, am part time and see it all the time

High-end restaurants in Asia still charge the mandatory 15% gratuity though
Jonydakiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:55 AM   #2744

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
stingy ass neighbours who cry about when you park in front of their house on a NON RESIDENTIAL STREET.

These people literally called and reported that my car hasn't moved in "3 days" so City of Burnaby left a note on my car that it would be towed if it wasn't moved in 72 hours.

so I move my car and not even 2 minutes later, neighbours car parks in the spot. What's more ironic is they have a driveway that they never use and still prefer to park on the street.

And what's funnier is the homeowner lady saw me sitting in my car the day before but never asked 'please don't park here' and still proceeded to call City of Burnaby that my car hasn't moved in 3 days, when I literally drive every single day

if someone parks infront of my house, I just park further down the street. No big deal, just a couple of more steps to walk

/endrant
Old 07-14-2019, 07:22 PM   #2745
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,280 Times in 1,968 Posts
Tipping is organized panhandling.

Some deserve it. Most don't.

Those stinky little hipster joints need to pay their staff instead of relying on tips to do it. As if I don't hate Vancouver enough...

---

Not a gear grind, rather an observation, but why are millennials so obsessed with things like typewriters, cassette tapes, old Amigas and other goofy crap from the 70s to 90s? I'm all for a nostalgia trip but I'm glad those things died yet these people what to resurrect them?

Also, some co-worker of mine was talking loudly in her office to a friend about what is like to live through Y2K...

...when she was 3
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-14-2019, 08:41 PM   #2746

You know, I still love the cassette for Xmas music
Old 07-16-2019, 10:15 AM   #2747

I'm hardly one to comment on style, but why do so many people seem to have difficulties putting on a front license plate? I'm talking about the ones with the big ugly plastic bracket already on the car but they don't run one, or have it in the window, or have it hanging below the bottom of the bumper. Or the wierdo with the brand new Jag I saw the other day that had it haggardly ziptied onto the grille. I get not wanting to drill holes in the bumper but if you drive something that pricey the odd fine for no front plate or the cost of a custom relocation bracket is nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post
Not a gear grind, rather an observation, but why are millennials so obsessed with things like typewriters, cassette tapes, old Amigas and other goofy crap from the 70s to 90s? I'm all for a nostalgia trip but I'm glad those things died yet these people what to resurrect them?

Also, some co-worker of mine was talking loudly in her office to a friend about what is like to live through Y2K...

...when she was 3
That's hipsters, not all millennials. For a brief time my sister in law (who has only ever had smartphones) wanted to switch to a flip phone, until we explained to her just how shitty texting with a numpad can be.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 07-16-2019, 12:04 PM   #2748

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I'm hardly one to comment on style, but why do so many people seem to have difficulties putting on a front license plate? I'm talking about the ones with the big ugly plastic bracket already on the car but they don't run one, or have it in the window, or have it hanging below the bottom of the bumper. Or the wierdo with the brand new Jag I saw the other day that had it haggardly ziptied onto the grille. I get not wanting to drill holes in the bumper but if you drive something that pricey the odd fine for no front plate or the cost of a custom relocation bracket is nothing.

That's hipsters, not all millennials. For a brief time my sister in law (who has only ever had smartphones) wanted to switch to a flip phone, until we explained to her just how shitty texting with a numpad can be.
You should be more concerned.

She probably considered one because she started dealing drugs. [emoji23]
Old 07-25-2019, 03:12 PM   #2749

Not that it irritates me that much, actually kinda entertaining and becoming a joke on the RX-8 board:

Delusional people thinking their RX-8 R3 is worth US$15~20k.

I own a Series 2 and while it definitely is worth more than a Series 1, no one will pay over US$11k for even a nice example nowadays. In 10 years, perhaps, but not now, and not anytime soon.

And when you try to point it out, they get all defensive and say "Oh it's an R3 so it's special." It's not. It has the same engine, same transmission, same differential, same brakes, same exhaust as any other Series 2 RX-8. It just has some bigger wheels, Bilstein shocks(which people will just replace with coilovers anyway), Recaro seats and a slightly different exterior. Like the difference between a Z51 and a non-Z51 Corvette is greater.

So expect me to post my RX-8 up for sale for $20k soon. No low ballers.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:58 PM   #2750

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
So expect me to post my RX-8 up for sale for $20k soon. No low ballers. No test drives without cash in hand. I know what I have.
FTFY
This post thanked by: