REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > #RevsceneVLS General Chat

#RevsceneVLS General Chat SOCIAL LIFESTYLES ADSPACE AVAILABLE. CONTACT INFO@BLITZGEAR.COM
2016 VLS Community Head Moderator: SaucyWoman
2016 Social Media Liason: Blitzgear

@Revscene #RevsceneVLS. Vancouver LifeStyles Discussions: Car-free, political and current events, random thoughts, or topics that don't fit in the other forums. Remember to check out feature articles on the Main Website

Old 02-09-2018, 08:03 PM   #2601
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Co-worker won't STFU about her "bad" tinder dates. Demands to be treated like a princess by her dates but she's out of shape and a max of 5/10 in looks.

How the fuck is someone that out of touch with reality?
Advertisement
Kamui712 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2018, 10:57 PM   #2602
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowball View Post
I've had too many people cut the corner during their turn and almost hit me. We can't win.
Everytime that happens, i miss the opportunity to lay on the horn at them, because I can't find my horn buttons during mid turn. Dang 90s Hondas with the two separate horn buttons...
Old 02-09-2018, 11:27 PM   #2603
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui712 View Post
Co-worker won't STFU about her "bad" tinder dates. Demands to be treated like a princess by her dates but she's out of shape and a max of 5/10 in looks.

Sneak some pics on Monday please
Old 02-09-2018, 11:35 PM   #2604
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
Quote:

She must be the fat bitch in a group of hot girls, there's always that one bitch who thinks she's all that lol
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:57 PM   #2605
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
The past year has been annoying like shit with timing of things. Last year when I got to Asia for travel, 8 hours later I get a call from my family my grandpa passed away.

Now I've been looking at getting a place presale and my money is tied up in stocks/investments.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:16 AM   #2606

Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,518 Posts
The little things in BMWs that keep breaking. Like this inner door handle ffs.
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2018, 08:37 AM   #2607
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,911 Times in 3,872 Posts
The obsession with making lights as bright as possible is really pissing me off. The city is starting to replace street lights with ones that are brighter than daylight, and it seems like every new truck and SUV has obscenely bright low beams. That means my night vision is trashed for seeing anything off the road that may step into it (like deer and people) or being able to see well when I turn onto a side road. By all means make the high beams bright, but if I can drive the Coq in the dark with ancient sealed beams then you don't need collapsed stars on the front of some piece of shit soccer mom SUV that will never leave city limits.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2018, 10:14 AM   #2608
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
The obsession with making lights as bright as possible is really pissing me off. The city is starting to replace street lights with ones that are brighter than daylight, and it seems like every new truck and SUV has obscenely bright low beams. That means my night vision is trashed for seeing anything off the road that may step into it (like deer and people) or being able to see well when I turn onto a side road. By all means make the high beams bright, but if I can drive the Coq in the dark with ancient sealed beams then you don't need collapsed stars on the front of some piece of shit soccer mom SUV that will never leave city limits.
To be fair, all Pickups(especially lifted) blind me a bit since my car sits fairly low, even if they use the good old halogen headlights.

I found MB to be the most guilty of overly bright headlights.

The worst thing is that some people, for some reason, love those blue headlights that are useless.

As for SUVs, a lot of them have shit headlights despite having factory LED ones.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskto...rginal-or-poor

A lot of LED headlights are not very good even if they are OEM. 9th Gen Accord halogen headlights got a better rating than the fancy Touring LED ones, and 10th Gen Accord with halogen high beams got a better rating than Touring LED high beams.

Technically, the high beams in my RX-8 has less lumens than my low beams(2100 vs 3000), but it still works well as the yellow light is better for distance vision.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:16 AM   #2609

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post

I found MB to be the most guilty of overly bright headlights.
I think the worse is the 11th gen Corolla (2012-Present). It's ridiculously blinding for factory - for anything.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2018, 10:50 AM   #2610

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
I think the worse is the 11th gen Corolla (2012-Present). It's ridiculously blinding for factory - for anything.

Actually, the Corolla ones are okay. I see them often enough on the road and they don't bother me very much.

I have even driven a rental Corolla w/LED headlights in the States and the LED headlights were quite good. Toyota has some good LED headlights.

That said, if HID headlights here require self-leveling and washers(which are quite cool), then the same requirements should be applied to LEDs as well. One complaint I have seen for LED headlights is that because they don't generate any heat in the front, there is no way to melt snow without using your hands.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:30 PM   #2611

Quote:
To be fair, all Pickups(especially lifted) blind me a bit since my car sits fairly low, even if they use the good old halogen headlights.
I know being high up is gonna make it worse on cars, but whatever brand has the trucks with the stupid [ shaped neon thing along the edge are just terrible. Even when I'm in my Jeep I get light blasted in my eyes from much lower SUVs, half the time it seems like the factory intentionally aimed them at the eyes of oncoming traffic.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 02-12-2018, 09:06 PM   #2612

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
I know being high up is gonna make it worse on cars, but whatever brand has the trucks with the stupid [ shaped neon thing along the edge are just terrible. Even when I'm in my Jeep I get light blasted in my eyes from much lower SUVs, half the time it seems like the factory intentionally aimed them at the eyes of oncoming traffic.
Ford trucks have those [ ] lights and I think some Nissans have ] [ lights.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2018, 09:12 PM   #2613

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
The little things in BMWs that keep breaking. Like this inner door handle ffs.
Tell me about it.

Got my student loan paid off at the end of December, prepping to buy a house, I'm all like, "Fuck yeah, I have an extra $760/month to put into my down payment fund."

Get my first paycheque post-student loan and bam, electrical short, $5k repair bill on the way home from work ...

Now I'm looking at new cars instead of a house
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:14 PM   #2614

Corolla LED low beams are garbage. Personal experience driving in rentals in two different times, once here and once in Ontario. Those LEDs are bright close up but don't throw far at all. If you're driving along the median, you can see that the lights are actually aimed slightly upwards, rather than sloping downwards like the regs specify. That is why they always produce excessive glare. And that is also why road signs are so well illuminated when you're driving in one of those Corollas.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:46 PM   #2615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Tell me about it.

Get my first paycheque post-student loan and bam, electrical short, $5k repair bill on the way home from work ...

Now I'm looking at new cars instead of a house
Yep. I'm sitting in the shop waiting to hear if it's rod knock or hopefully smt better.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:40 PM   #2616

Quote:
I personally don't find those [] as bothering as the stupid taillight design on them.

Whoever thought having brake lights the same as turn signals was a good idea for those trucks need to be whacked in the head with a hammer.

Again, MB cars/SUVs are especially bad when it comes to having glary LED low beams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coneZONE View Post
Corolla LED low beams are garbage. Personal experience driving in rentals in two different times, once here and once in Ontario. Those LEDs are bright close up but don't throw far at all. If you're driving along the median, you can see that the lights are actually aimed slightly upwards, rather than sloping downwards like the regs specify. That is why they always produce excessive glare. And that is also why road signs are so well illuminated when you're driving in one of those Corollas.
They are actually okay as far as LEDs go. According to IIHS, Corolla LED low beams get the Acceptable rating, which is not too shabby. I think the Prius V LED low beams actually got the Good rating.

While foreground light can be an issue for LEDs, they are better than a blown halogen bulb with 0 lumen output. Way too many people drive around with only 1 headlight working.

If you want to talk about far-reaching low beams, my RX-8's HID low beams are actually quite far-reaching. That's why I still think properly designed HIDs can still be very good. I heard some very good things about the S2000 HID projector units. It's a more mature technology compared to LEDs.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:59 PM   #2617
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:

I find that "princess syndrome" is ridiculously high in Vancouver. So many girls with nothing to offer besides looks (and sometimes not even that lol) with stupidly high standards.

Never noticed just how bad it was until I moved to the GTA. Girls here are just as good looking but without the snobby attitudes.
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:27 PM   #2618

Quote:
I personally don't find those [] as bothering as the stupid taillight design on them.
It's not the [ ] part that's blinding, that's just the only part of the front end that I can see since it's also a light lol.

Quote:
If you want to talk about far-reaching low beams, my RX-8's HID low beams are actually quite far-reaching. That's why I still think properly designed HIDs can still be very good.
Why is far-reaching a good thing for low beams? Is that not counter to the point of low beams for oncoming traffic?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-15-2018, 08:34 PM   #2619

Quote:
Why is far-reaching a good thing for low beams? Is that not counter to the point of low beams for oncoming traffic?
I mean, when I compare it to halogen low beams on my old Accord Coupe, my RX-8 HIDs are far-reaching, without blinding oncoming traffic. It also has an active angle adjustment system. I can actually hear the motor whirring sometimes in the garage when I first turn it to ON(engine not started).

It's not aimed upwards to blind anyone, and on dark roads without any other light source, high beams are still necessary.

That said, I am not sure if I should just do a check somewhere, just to make sure everything is not out of calibration.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-15-2018, 08:52 PM   #2620

Everything is too damn bright now, period. Low beams, stop lamps, DRLs, traffic signals. Everyone is having a brightness competition now. f u c k. My eyes are being burned every time i look at the back of one of those Lexuses at night. I can't even drive over a hill without being blinded, and it's not even the fault of the other guy, he's just driving along with the proper lights on. And now BMWs with lasers? Ugh give it a break, man.
Sure, there's a proper cutoff line for the low beams, but anytime you're in the area below it, lol gg your eyes are fucked

Since we're kind of the topic of lights, I don't remember if i also mentioned this, but the guy who decides on when to turn the lights on in the Cassiar tunnel is really fucking stupid. Dim mode in the middle of the day, your eyes are adjusted bu the time you're almost out the tunnel. Middle of the night and sets the tunnel lights on full brightness what a dumbass.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-15-2018, 10:25 PM   #2621

Quote:
Originally Posted by coneZONE View Post
Everything is too damn bright now, period. Low beams, stop lamps, DRLs, traffic signals. Everyone is having a brightness competition now. f u c k. My eyes are being burned every time i look at the back of one of those Lexuses at night. I can't even drive over a hill without being blinded, and it's not even the fault of the other guy, he's just driving along with the proper lights on. And now BMWs with lasers? Ugh give it a break, man.
Sure, there's a proper cutoff line for the low beams, but anytime you're in the area below it, lol gg your eyes are fucked
That's what people in the early 70s said when all they had was incandescent that's barely stronger than a candle and improved halogens started showing up.

Not saying all the LED/HID lights are good, especially the bad PnP kits, but I think it's an inevitable move. Halogens are just too inefficient. On my RX-8, my high beams are H9 halogens(which, BTW, is as bright as halogen goes without going over wattage, and over wattage bulbs are illegal and dangerous) rated at 2100 lumens with 65W, while my low beams are D2S HIDs rated at 3000 lumens with 35W. HIDs and LEDs draw less power to produce the same amount of or more light. Now, the fuel-saving is insignificant on 1 car, but when you add all the cars on the road together, there will be some significant fuel-saving.

Another problem is obviously the short lifespan of halogens compared to HIDs and LEDs. Way too many people drive with burnt out halogen headlights and taillights without realizing it.

In the end, it all comes down to regulation. Again, I'd like to see LED headlights getting the same regulations that are required on HID lights. If HID lights require washers and auto angle adjustments, why not LEDs? Especially when LEDs are capable of even higher output than HIDs.

I reserve my comments on BMW lasers, as it's only used as an option on the i8. In principle, it targets the moving objects/people and shines the light on them. That can prevent some costly damage caused by the abundance of deer we have. Of course, I am not sure how well it works in real life.

If the light is too bright for you, you should simply look away from it until it passes you.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:58 PM   #2622

Quote:

If the light is too bright for you, you should simply look away from it until it passes you.
I'll just have you know that i'm not the type of person who stares head-on into headlights and then complains about how it's blinding me. L m a o.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2018, 06:54 AM   #2623

Quote:
Another problem is obviously the short lifespan of halogens compared to HIDs and LEDs. Way too many people drive with burnt out halogen headlights and taillights without realizing it.
Probably because street lights are so bright now that headlights don't actually do anything for the driver in town. Look at how many people drive around with their lights off without noticing.

Quote:
The problem is the lights are just slightly to the side of where you should be looking while driving. Taking your eyes off the road for half a block doesn't seem like a safe driving technique to me.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2018, 02:38 PM   #2624

Another factor is the color temperature of the lights. A lot of LED headlights are very blue and human eyes don't react well to that.

IMO anything that's above 5000K is starting to get useless and annoying, while anything above 6000K is just rice.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:28 AM   #2625
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

people driving slow af late at night and hogging left lane
exilegod is offline   Reply With Quote