REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:22 AM   #3251
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post

seriously though, i wouldn't mind her paying back the damage of a new crown vic. after all the VPD hardware you put in to it, it must cost $100k for the car? just guessing. but imagine her criminal record now...gets pulled over, cops runs a check...."arson" and "riot" pop up
crown vics are overpriced but not that overpriced!
Advertisement
l2_narain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:17 PM   #3252
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
ya it's a wild guess on my part. i figure the cost of fitting out the car with VPD equipment and install is expensive. their touch screen laptop, the mount for it, the front bumper etc.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:40 PM   #3253
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
90 day jail sentence means she will serve 30 with good behavior and get released. Canada still has the 1/3 rule for jail sentences. Worst case she will do 2/3rds or 60 days. Don't get me wrong, even 30 days in jail for "attempting" to torch a car seems a bit extreme. Spending a month in jail would SUCK big time. I've spent a night in a drunk tank a couple of times and let me tell you, it's not fun. I can't imagine being stuck in there for a month.

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:38 PM   #3254
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
90 day jail sentence means she will serve 30 with good behavior and get released. Canada still has the 1/3 rule for jail sentences. Worst case she will do 2/3rds or 60 days. Don't get me wrong, even 30 days in jail for "attempting" to torch a car seems a bit extreme. Spending a month in jail would SUCK big time. I've spent a night in a drunk tank a couple of times and let me tell you, it's not fun. I can't imagine being stuck in there for a month.
it may be considered "extreme" to some people but if you look at the CCC, Arson is considered very serious. It is a straight indictable offence. If you "attempt" to commit any criminal offence, you will be charged for the offence, as per section 24 of the CCC.

Attempts

24. (1)
Every one who, having an intent to commit an offence, does or omits to do anything for the purpose of carrying out the intention is guilty of an attempt to commit the offence whether or not it was possible under the circumstances to commit the offence.

434. Arson — damage to property

434. Every person who intentionally or recklessly causes damage by fire or explosion to property that is not wholly owned by that person is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding fourteen years.

The difference between this case and CACNIO is that CACNIO's involvement in the riot was BNE to a business, which can be either summary or indictable.

65. (1) Every one who takes part in a riot is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years.

Arson is deemed the most serious when compared to Taking part in a riot, BNE (other than dwelling house), or Mischief.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2014, 02:48 PM   #3255
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
do u guys believe this guy?

true? or had 3 yrs to hatch some b.s. story?

Accused in beating of Stanley Cup riot Good Samaritan claims he was only trying to disarm him of long pole ?weapon?

An accused Stanley Cup rioter claiming self-defence reached over two of Robert MacKay’s other assailants to grab at MacKay from behind to throw him to the ground and then kicked him on the ground, Crown told his trial.

Ioannis (Johnny) Kangles has pleaded not guilty to rioting or assaulting MacKay, dubbed one of the Good Samaritans of the June 15, 2011, riot in Vancouver.

Kangles, now 27, told his provincial court trial in Vancouver on Friday he pushed through a crowd to disarm MacKay of a long pole he was using “as a weapon” against the crowd in front of the Bay.

Crown prosecutor Rod Flannigan alleged Kangles was among a mob who swarmed MacKay, striking him once and kicking him once, which he denied.

“The whole purpose was to get the weapon out of his hands and then I left,” he testified.

After being shown video of him grabbing MacKay with two hands and pulling him to the ground while MacKay held up both hands over his head to ward off the punches of several rioters, Kangles denied he attacked the man.

“You just saw this crowd beating him and you just wanted a piece of it,” said Flannigan.

“No, I didn’t. That’s disgusting,” he said.

Kangles also told Judge Greg Rideout the video was “hard to watch. Because I feel bad about what happened.”

He also said he waded into the melee with no thought for his own safety because he saw someone swinging a weapon.

“Personally, I didn’t feel very threatened, it was more for the well-being of others,” he said.

Also on trial are Carlos Barahona Villeda, Michael MacDonald and David Leonati, all of whom pleaded not guilty to assault and rioting. Most of the dozens of other rioters charged have pleaded guilty.

Kangles also testified he walked toward downtown after watching the game at a theatre at Seymour and Davie streets, and that he and his friends didn’t intend to watch the riot but only wanted to get back to his car at Main and Prior streets.

Crown is alleging MacDonald struck MacKay with 12 blows, Barahona Villeda struck him twice and Leonati kicked him once.

Seven other rioters have pleaded guilty to taking part in the same assault and to rioting: Nathan Blake, 24, was sentenced to eight months in jail; Robert Timleck, 25, to seven months; John Mahoney, Robert Dack and Brandon Wise to five months each; and Tanner Beddow to 68 days. Armando Garcia is to be sentenced later this month.

About a third of those rioters who pleaded guilty to various charges have been jailed in custody, the longest for 20 months.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:56 PM   #3256

Doesn't matter if you believe him. If his story creates enough reasonable doubt about his guilt, he gets off. Same goes for the others involved who pleaded not guilty. I feel bad for the suckers who got talked into pleading guilty hoping for a break, instead they got made examples of and sent to jail.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-14-2014, 03:07 PM   #3257
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

i don't feel bad. if they don't want to go to jail or made an example, then don't do stupid shit. looks like this guy and his lawyer though have figured a way to possibly get out of trouble. we'll see what happens though.
TPMarko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2014, 03:13 PM   #3258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
it may be considered "extreme" to some people but if you look at the CCC, Arson is considered very serious. It is a straight indictable offence. If you "attempt" to commit any criminal offence, you will be charged for the offence, as per section 24 of the CCC.

Attempts

24. (1)
Every one who, having an intent to commit an offence, does or omits to do anything for the purpose of carrying out the intention is guilty of an attempt to commit the offence whether or not it was possible under the circumstances to commit the offence.

434. Arson — damage to property

434. Every person who intentionally or recklessly causes damage by fire or explosion to property that is not wholly owned by that person is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding fourteen years.

The difference between this case and CACNIO is that CACNIO's involvement in the riot was BNE to a business, which can be either summary or indictable.

65. (1) Every one who takes part in a riot is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years.

Arson is deemed the most serious when compared to Taking part in a riot, BNE (other than dwelling house), or Mischief.
attempting to commit an office and committing an offence are not the same thing. it says so right there, in the paragraph you quoted:

24. (1)Every one who, having an intent to commit an offence, does or omits to do anything for the purpose of carrying out the intention is guilty of an attempt to commit the offence whether or not it was possible under the circumstances to commit the offence.

If it was the same thing, it would say guilty of committing the offence

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:50 PM   #3259
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
attempting to commit an office and committing an offence are not the same thing. it says so right there, in the paragraph you quoted:

24. (1)Every one who, having an intent to commit an offence, does or omits to do anything for the purpose of carrying out the intention is guilty of an attempt to commit the offence whether or not it was possible under the circumstances to commit the offence.

If it was the same thing, it would say guilty of committing the offence
Do you see the punishment for so called "attempt" under that section? No. Therefore the punishment will fall under the actual offence that was attempted. Ie. If you are found guilty in an attempt to commit Fraud, the punishment would be for Fraud and not "attempt to commit offence".
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:46 PM   #3260
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Glad this fucker was found guilty, pray that he gets jailtime

Stanley Cup rioter found guilty of assaulting firefighter, police officer - B.C. - Times Colonist
wingies is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM   #3261
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Lots of people pleading guilty. I got a bunch of notices saying I don't need to show up to court because the defendants pleaded guilty or no contest or whatever.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:50 PM   #3262

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Well almost 5 years later and we are still talking about this:

Stanley Cup riot prosecution not slow says Crown - British Columbia - CBC News

Thoughts on the entire process?

Shocking that the process has cost us more than the value of the damage in order to process what 10% of the participants? Bureaucrats...

I also find it hilarious that the Crown is citing the fact that these 300 people being charged will prove to people in the future that they will be responsible for their actions in events such as this. Nobody learned a thing or remembered a thing from the 94 riots, they wont remember sweet fuck all from the 2011 riot. It's gonna be a new generation of degenerates next time around and they will probably do the same Bullshit. Can't fix stupid.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:01 PM   #3263
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
how many people were prosecuted from the '94 riot? it only says 100 hour of footage was obtained then.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:24 PM   #3264
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
oh who remembered jason li...... his life ruined after that or still in UBC?

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:28 PM   #3265
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post
He inspired a comic book cover lol.

Source: Wolverine comic book cover pokes fun at Canucks riot kid
vixroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:36 PM   #3266

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
how many people were prosecuted from the '94 riot? it only says 100 hour of footage was obtained then.
I think mostly what's remember from that was the tard shot in the head with the rubber bullet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:26 AM   #3267

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Nobody learned a thing or remembered a thing from the 94 riots, they wont remember sweet fuck all from the 2011 riot. It's gonna be a new generation of degenerates next time around and they will probably do the same Bullshit. Can't fix stupid.
maybe... but in 94, there was no internet and smart phones lol
no phones to take quick photo and no FB to publicly shame them.
that girl's life would've been less of fk up if her face wasn't all over the internet and social media.
Nowadays, cameras are seriously everywhere
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:32 AM   #3268
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post
I'm curious too
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:47 AM   #3269
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
William Fisher has died in the hospital

ABBOTSFORD (NEWS 1130) – A week after a judge handed a man three years in jail for crimes committed during the Stanley Cup riot in 2011, 30-year-old William Fisher has died in the hospital.

Fisher was found guilty on a series of charges including taking part in a riot, aggravated assault and break and enter and was also found guilty of assaulting a Good Samaritan during the riot.

He was an inmate at a prison in Abbotsford but died in a hospital in New Westminster. Corrections Canada is looking into his death.

Stanley Cup rioter sentenced last week dies in hospital - NEWS 1130
Old 02-27-2016, 02:29 PM   #3270

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Man serving three-year sentence for Stanley Cup riot dies in B.C. hospital

By Staff The Canadian Press
February 27, 2016 5:43 am

Man serving three-year sentence for Stanley Cup riot dies in B.C. hospital | Globalnews.ca

VIDEO: http://globalnews.ca/video/embed/2544731/

VANCOUVER – Correctional Service Canada says a 30-year-old man who was sentenced last week for crimes he committed during the 2011 Stanley Cup riot has died in hospital.

William Fisher was sentenced on Feb. 19 to three years in prison after being found guilty on a series of charges including taking part in a riot, aggravated assault and break and enter.

He was an inmate at Pacific Institution in Abbotsford and died at a hospital in New Westminster on Thursday.

His next-of-kin have been notified and there is no word on the cause of death.

The police and coroner have been notified and the Correctional Service says it will review the circumstances of the incident.

British Columbia’s Justice Minister Suzanne Anton said last week that Fisher’s sentence was the toughest handed out for crimes committed during the melee.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 04:46 PM   #3271
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
Man serving three-year sentence for Stanley Cup riot dies in B.C. hospital
learn2fucking look a post up before posting fuckkkk

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 05:05 PM   #3272
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
who thinks the mother fucker got shanked for messing with the wrong person?
Old 02-27-2016, 07:55 PM   #3273
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
Probably offed himself to be honest.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 03:21 PM   #3274

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
ICBC wins lawsuit against Stanley Cup rioters who damaged vehicles
KEITH FRASER | THE PROVINCE

JUNE 17, 2016 06:04 PM

ICBC wins lawsuit against Stanley Cup rioters who damaged vehicles

People flip a vehicle during a riot in Vancouver on June 15, 2011. Photograph By Vancouver Sun

VANCOUVER — Nine out of 10 Stanley Cup rioters who were taken to court by ICBC have been found liable for damages they did to vehicles during the riot.

The insurance corporation, which was seeking to be recompensed for payments it had made to the insured owners of the vehicles, filed lawsuits against a total of 82 civil defendants following the June 2011 riot in downtown Vancouver.

Settlements were reached with 37 of those defendants and default judgments were found against another 35. That left 10 defendants who went to trial. Most of them had been convicted separately in criminal proceedings.

In assessing liability at the civil trial, B.C. Supreme Court Justice Elliott Myers noted that it was not the case of a directed or co-ordinated riot, and did not involve gangs coalescing and then moving from location to location in unison.

Participating in the riot in itself did not establish joint or individual liability, meaning the issue needed to be settled by examining vehicle by vehicle, defendant by defendant, said the judge.

Travis Alexander, who was convicted of participating in a riot and sentenced to four months in prison, was found by the judge to be liable in the damage of three vehicles.

He jumped on the roof of a Nissan Versa that was parked outside the Canada Post building on Georgia Street and helped flip it on its side. The vehicle was later destroyed by fire but it was not evident who set it alight, said the judge.

Seven young men — Andrew Comber, Joel Corrigan, Andrew Cuthbert, Jordan Houde, Timothy Lau and two young offenders — were each found liable for doing damage to one vehicle.

Sean Yates, the only defendant who was represented by a lawyer, was alleged to have been involved in damaging four vehicles but the judge found there was insufficient evidence to make out a case against him.

Yates had thrown a mannequin into the window of a burning Audi on Seymour Street, but the vehicle was already destroyed and as his lawyer pointed out, it was the equivalent of “kicking a dead horse,” noted the judge.

A finding that punitive damages were called for was sought by the plaintiff, ICBC, but the judge noted that most of the defendants had been convicted criminally and there was nothing to indicate the penalties they received were inadequate.

“I do not minimize the gravity of the conduct that took place. Watching the videos of the riot was a disturbing exercise because it illustrated a major part of a major city in complete disarray, caused by the intentional acts of the rioters.”

The judge said that the riot showed the delicate line between order and chaos, but the criminal sentences took into account the principles of denunciation and deterrence.

“While it is true, as pointed out by ICBC, that the accused were not charged with offences related to damage to property, I do not see the sentences would have been different had that been the case because the factors that were taken into account in the sentencing included the property damage not only to vehicles but in general.

“On that basis I decline to award punitive damages. There comes a point when “enough is enough”.

The amount of damages each defendant will have to pay will be determined at a later date, taking into account the settlements already reached, said the judge.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:17 PM   #3275
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
i read that title and was thinking ICBC gonna be like "oh this is gonna be sweeeeeet"

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote