REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:22 PM   #2001
2010 RS Top Food Critic Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by minoru_tanaka View Post
Good pics man. Just curious if you saw how it all got started?
I just heard others on the roof say "FIGHT!!" and I turned around and started snapping. No idea of how it happened or where the guys went after.
Advertisement
K-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:31 PM   #2002
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dub View Post
+1 to everything Ronin said. I love photojournalism, being part of it and documenting it. I'm not about to stop a riot or a fight from happening, nor would I be able to, so I'm doing what I can, which is taking pictures. If something this big is happening, I'm not gonna pass it up.
Totally. I was there but I didn't take part, I didn't cheer, I barely even spoke to anyone other than my friends. We're there to observe, not participate. Some of my friend's parents were talking to me today, saying I probably shouldn't have gone down but I told them I don't feel bad about it and I'd do it again today if there was another. Not enough people get it. I guess it's because not enough people have a hobby they're passionate enough about.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:32 PM   #2003
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,256 Times in 1,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG2 View Post
you can't judge whether someone had morals or whether they would riot/act like an idiot when they are drunk or in a mob of people just because they are a "cool guy". There are alot of people who are "cool" and seem "nice". Most people know how to put on a professional act in front of people they don't know/ at work, school etc. There are people who are dicks all around 24/7, but I am sure that most of the people that were involved in the riots will have family and friends that say they are shocked that they acted the way they do. I am not justifying their acts, but I am just saying that no one can really predict how someone will act if they are intoxicated if they only know them outside of their close friends.
i just want to make it clear that i'm not defending this guy in anyway either. the point i was trying to make was i only talked to the guy once and for a few mins and there was something that seemed odd about him to me back then (probably a year ago now).

i can understand your point about people being two faced with a professional appearance and a douche bag persona outside of work. we all know alcohol impairs your judgment but there is a limit to that. drunk people are aware of what they're doing in many cases and use it as an excuse to say "oh, i was drunk, didn't know that happened".
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2011, 03:35 PM   #2004
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EX-R View Post
Ignorant Couple on facebook!

What an idiot.

P.S., if you are this stupid, I will probably remove you from here. We don't need pro-riot trash making REVscene any stupider than it already is.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:01 PM   #2005
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Quote:

I know I shouldn't be laughing but the guy punching that idiot with the Sedin jersey was epic, haha LOL.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:15 PM   #2006
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,806 Times in 215 Posts
Quote:
Ignorant Couple on facebook!

it's people like that that make me wonder why they even exist on this planet
AlphaKappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:26 PM   #2007
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare604 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHI869hhMB0

new vid so it didn't embed properly. Peter Chao basically goes off about Vancouver Riot
Interesting how he only names three whites guys and calls them trash, but he forget Tim Kwong and the guy in the green top who lit a car on fire in the underground. Peter C your a douche.
GodZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:29 PM   #2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznsuperman View Post
Nice to see there was some good that happened on that night.
GodZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:33 PM   #2009
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
What an idiot.

P.S., if you are this stupid, I will probably remove you from here. We don't need pro-riot trash making REVscene any stupider than it already is.
Send this to the authorities. I hope if Buk Daa Laww or Linh Tee calls the police, fire dpt, ambulance that they reply to them "Oh, I'm sorry, you will have to wait. We don't have enough cars because so many were destroyed by rioters you support. Can your stroke wait?"

Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2011, 04:49 PM   #2010
Professional Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
What an idiot.

i think you have it all wrong...please dont assume i support pro riot comments. I was posting that conversion to expose people like Linh Tee and Buckk Daa Laww and their idiotic pro riot comments and humiliate them to fellow Vancouverites. i think people should be held accountable for what they say and that if they had the audacity to say such thing, then they should feel the heat they'll get for saying something SO disgraceful and disrespectful. and if their employers find out about this, even better.
EX-R is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2011, 05:10 PM   #2011
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Ronin probably missed the part where you called the couple "ignorant"
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:21 PM   #2012
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,009 Times in 1,889 Posts
So fucking hard to follow this thread but the Kotylaks have fled their home

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ap...481/story.html

Quote:
The family of a teen seen attempting to light a police car on fire during the Stanley Cup riot has fled their Maple Ridge home as threats against the teenager mount, their lawyer said Sunday.

Athlete Nathan Kotylak, 17, was caught holding a lighted shirt to the gas tank of a police car in a photo that circulated online following the riot.

He was quickly identified through Internet posts, and waived his rights as a young offender by going public with an apology on Saturday evening.

Kotylak turned himself into police before issuing a statement apologizing for his actions, lawyer Bart Findlay said Sunday.

Though the teen, a noted water-polo athlete, has not been charged by police, Findlay said the family has been the target of serious harassment and threats that has left them afraid to stay in their home.

“A lot of nasty things have come through on social networks,” he said. “Things like their home address posted, and people saying they’re going to come over and pay [Kotylak] a visit.”

“We can all visually see the mob mentality that took place after the game, and that seems to be perpetuating through social media.”

Police have been notified of the threats, Findlay added.

In the statement, Kotylak said he expects to face the consequences of his actions during the riot following the Vancouver Canucks’ Stanley Cup final loss to the Boston Bruins.

“What I did was dumb,” he said. “I have let my family and friends down, and I will face the consequences and take responsibility for my actions.”

Kotylak did not identify any specific actions in his statement, though Findlay said there is “clear evidence” that shows the teen was not the person who ultimately set the police car on fire.

Findlay said Kotylak feels “horrendous” about his involvement in the riot following the hockey game.

“It doesn’t represent his true character,” the lawyer said.

ssullivan@theprovince.com

twitter.com/seanpatricks

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ap...#ixzz1Pm6qbIBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:26 PM   #2013
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
i think you have it all wrong...please dont assume i support pro riot comments. I was posting that conversion to expose people like Linh Tee and Buckk Daa Laww and their idiotic pro riot comments and humiliate them to fellow Vancouverites. i think people should be held accountable for what they say and that if they had the audacity to say such thing, then they should feel the heat they'll get for saying something SO disgraceful and disrespectful. and if their employers find out about this, even better.
I think what Ronin is getting at is that if anyone on RS is like that person in the chat that EX-R posted, he would remove them. Though I have to admit the way it was worded made it initially confusing like the OP was being targeted.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:31 PM   #2014
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 View Post
it'd be even better if someone printed these and handed them out downtown hah
Honestly, im willing to do this....anyone else wanna help?

My Buy/Sell Rating (5-0-0)
Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:39 PM   #2015
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

In some of these vids/stories i notice mentions of 'political statements' and that to an extent that the riot was preplanned by a few. If any, what kind of political statement were people trying to make??? i don't get it...or is it just an idiots excuse to destroy stuff?
ajei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:59 PM   #2016
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xclusive View Post

not saying it didnt happen but that sounds like bs to make it look like they're being persecuted/punished. fishing for sympathy

it sounds like they're just reading online comments and feeling threatened by them; nothings actually happened @/to their home
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2011, 06:02 PM   #2017
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
not saying it didnt happen but that sounds like bs to make it look like they're being persecuted/punished. fishing for sympathy

it sounds like they're just reading online comments and feeling threatened by them; nothings actually happened @/to their home
the police should goto his house and flip/lightup his cars; and the employees of The Bay and LV should go crazy on the windows of his house
ajei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:20 PM   #2018
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajei View Post
alot of these ppl must not have been punished as kids...
alot of these people probably just haven't been punished with the buckle end
MrGoodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2011, 06:46 PM   #2019
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
... From what I saw though, G20 wasn't bad compared to Vancouver at all.
G20 was nowhere as bad as this riot for the following reasons:

- the G20 rioters did not attack by-standers or random people
- the G20 rioters focused on big corporation stores (The Bay, Starbucks, etc)
- the G20 rioters were a large group of organized people that did most of the work, whereas ours had just random morons/douchebags/idiots joining in throughout the riot
- from what I could remember, very minimal looting of stores took place at the G20 riot

There were WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY more police presence at the G20 protest/riot then what we had here. VPD should be glad that they were able to contain it within just a few hours... probably cuz most of these rioters are simply cowards in real life to begin with.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by xclusive View Post

This is what you can get with money and a good lawyer. Well played.... well played... It's sad that there's a chance that he will not get much punishment, judging by the way his lawyer and family are spinning this event; "he did not burn the car", "the fire he tried to start did not set the car on fire", "he feels sorry and embarrassed and was simply caught up in the moment"... then slowly turning public perception by releasing all these "news" evens through the media, "we are being harassed", "we don't feel safe because we're being threatened"...

WHAT A LOAD OF BULLSHIT. Just man up, accept that you were a moron for doing what you did (not the bullshit statement like oh my fire didn't acutally burn the cop's car), and accept the consequences.

Sorry but I can't give him the benefit of the doubt just yet... anything him and his family (and his lawyer) are trying to do now is just tactics used to get sympathy from people and the crown prosecutor (in hopes that no charges will be laid).

Well played by their lawyer, but Pathetic nonetheless.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:56 PM   #2021
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
I just wanted to say the real vigilantes are still out there, the ones that went downtown strictly to cause trouble whether we won or lost the game and probably will never be caught which sucks. The people that are being caught are just people who made an error in judgement, people who just got caught up int he mob mentality and yes they should suffer the consesquences but i honestly dont believe there lives should be turned upside down cause of this.

But the positive out of this is that everyone is gonna think twice in doing something this stupid ever again and im hoping if put in the same situation again. The crowds will turn on the shitstarters instead of the defenders of the city.
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2011, 07:04 PM   #2022

I also find the notion that "the fire he started didn't burn the car, therefore he was not guilty" mentality that his lawyer and supporters are trying to present. ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? Just because the car didn't acutally burn up from his attemp to light it, doesn't mean that he's not guilty of the act itself.

It's like saying, "Oh, I didn't really mean to try to kill someone because I put the ammo in backwards in my gun and therefore it didn't fire when I put the gun to that person's head and pulled the trigger". Is there a charge for attempted arson? If anything he should at least be charged with that. There are other photos and videos of him setting fire to a garbage can as well... so I"m sure the VPD knows clearly on what he did and didn't do.

The biggest injustice that could come out of this is for his big money lawyer to con his way out of this whole thing and the kid is not charged with ANYTHING. Unfortunately that's probably what will happen to a lot of these people.. a slap on the wrist, some community service hours, and back to their lives as if nothing's really happened.

Last edited by Bonjour43MA; 06-19-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Bonjour43MA is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2011, 07:14 PM   #2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare604 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHI869hhMB0

new vid so it didn't embed properly. Peter Chao basically goes off about Vancouver Riot
I fucking hate Peter Chao.
kluk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2011, 07:16 PM   #2024
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajei View Post
In some of these vids/stories i notice mentions of 'political statements' and that to an extent that the riot was preplanned by a few. If any, what kind of political statement were people trying to make??? i don't get it...or is it just an idiots excuse to destroy stuff?
For some, I expect it's to make a "statement" against the police - if the cops stand back and try to keep things calm, they're useless and impotent... if they step up and bust heads, they're brutal and evil.

And I think some of them just wanted to cause mayhem.

I posted this on my friend's blog:

Quote:
There’s a big us-or-them dichotomy happening that I think is really unfortunate, because it detracts from a big part of the underlying cause. The whole “it was anarchists/no it was just fans” thing is ridiculous — it was BOTH, of course.

I don’t recall the VPD ever claiming it was ONLY anarchists — they stated it was INCITED by a group INCLUDING anarchists, some of whom they said were the same ones who tried (and failed) to start a riot the opening weekend of the Olympics.

Nobody’s denying that it didn’t spread to “the common man”… but when you have that many people in close proximity, extreme amounts of alcohol, a heartbreaking rallying point (in this case, the loss of a championship game, but it could be anything), and enough peer pressure to crush a city… there was one big human Molotov cocktail stewing, and it didn’t take much of a spark to set it off. And THERE WERE PEOPLE WHO WERE THERE WITH THE SOLE INTENT OF PROVIDING THAT SPARK.

So let’s place the blame where it belongs: ON BOTH GROUPS. And maybe a little on the city and the police for being under-prepared. And honestly, a little on the media for spending the last two months speculating on the possibility of something happening, thus handily planting some seeds that had been germinating for weeks. (That leads to a whole other rant that I won’t even get into here).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2011, 07:24 PM   #2025

once in a while... one would have to agree with peter chow.