REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 10:05 PM   #6226
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 4,387 Times in 1,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 View Post
i think as the season goes on and shanahan suspends more players, the guys will start to get their acts together. i know it's early, but if shanahan stays consistent, this league will start to see a lot less cheap shots.
Yup it's just like when they introduced the new obstruction penalty system. It took a few years or less but they eventually got used to it.

You guys should go watch some hockey games from the early 2000s or 90s. It's crazy how much obstruction was done. A guy skating freely and getting hooked at the ribs for no reason and that is acceptable.
Advertisement

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) hi there
(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・$$$$$゜゜・。*。・゜*✧ .

xxx~*…like dis post if u cry evry time…~*xxx
Old 10-15-2011, 12:13 AM   #6227
GO FLAMES GO

Thanked 2,210 Times in 701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 View Post
^ your current avatar lacks nipples but shows more skin.. not sure if acceptable

like i said last time, half the nipples means half the acceptance. now you're at zero nipples
you just have to look harder
2001 Acura Integra Type-R *SOLD*
Club-Integra.net OG
Your Friendly Neighborhood Firefighter
Old 10-15-2011, 12:55 AM   #6228
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,511 Times in 4,903 Posts
I see it................ then again, I can see tits around corners.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:12 AM   #6229
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
Shanahan has the potential to fuck up the game big time IMO example 1 is Ballard getting penalized twice already for legal
Hip checks
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-15-2011, 07:01 AM   #6230
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
It's not just fighting. Players aren't allowed to celebrate too much after a goal either. If they do, they'll get ripped on endlessly by the conservative media and fans. Especially if they are european.
Exactly. Much like in golf, its considered disrespectful to showboat. As much as hockey is a physical sport, it's also, in its own way, a gentleman's sport. For example, if you're up by 4 goals and score a 5th, you can't really celebrate. It's classless.

The gentlemen are the players you remember. Think Beliveau, Sakic, Yzerman, Lemieux.. the list goes on and on...

In regard to UFO's post about the Canucks being soft - I personally feel that the Sedins try to get under the opponents skin as best they can in order to draw penalties. They're smart enough to understand that even the refs will protect the best in the game and they're more likely to draw a quick whistle than a Burrows type player. Sedins are also mature enough to tell the team, "Look, we're probably going to get punched in the face for what we're saying and doing out there. Let them draw a penalty, don't react."

That's my take on it anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?

Last edited by punkwax; 10-15-2011 at 07:14 AM.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:25 AM   #6231
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
the perception around the league is starting to become that the bucks can be pushed around
Is it really though? Or is that the perception the media is selling/pushing on you? When was the last time you saw a team like Detroit really mix it up and push back on a regular basis?

Once our PP comes around, teams trying to take advantage of the 'softness' will put themselves at risk of getting scored on. The Canucks already take a fairly high number of penalties, do they really need to risk taking more by mixing it up, and also losing their focus of what it takes to win each game one at a time?

Kind of unrelated, but the thing that really bugs me is that now in the name of 'team toughness' good clean solid check are being punished by 1 or 2 guys on the opposition jumping you for delivering a solid hit. If it's a dirty hit, by all means that sort of response is justified but the instigator rule prevents proper payback currently.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #6232
My homepage has been set to RS

FINALLY Higgins is moved onto the second and Sturm to the third.

Lineup:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Coho-Samuelsson
Sturm-Malhotra-Hansen
Volpatti-Lapierre-Weisse

Hamuis-Bieksa
Ballard-Edler
Alberts-Salo

Luongo
Schneider
Old 10-15-2011, 10:42 AM   #6233

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Where'd you get that lineup? IIRC Higgins was always on the second line with CoHo
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-15-2011, 10:43 AM   #6234
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,699 Times in 446 Posts
^ define "always." Higgins started the season on the third line, but AV has been juggling lines recently. I don't think Higgins has ever started a game on the 2nd line.

Regardless, I'm happy that that plug Sturm is getting demoted.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2011, 10:51 AM   #6235
Summertime Sadness

Thanked 2,911 Times in 648 Posts
Higgins started the Detroit game with CoHo and Hansen... hence the "Suck it line"

[15-01, 11:33] ICE BOY i'm going to wrap my dick in a crepe and make you suck the filling

[[09-10, 11:34] ICE BOY liquor in the front, poker in the rear
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2011, 10:54 AM   #6236

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
I don't think Higgins has ever started a game on the 2nd line.
I'm pretty sure Higgins started games on the 2nd line with Kesler last year. But if you meant this year:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSF22 View Post
Higgins started the Detroit game with CoHo and Hansen... hence the "Suck it line"
Old 10-15-2011, 11:00 AM   #6237
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
i loved asham's reaction. it wasn't as bad as throat cutting.

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Last edited by Gh0stRider; 10-15-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:06 AM   #6238
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,699 Times in 446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSF22 View Post
TIL.

I guess I should pay more attention haha.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:43 AM   #6239
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Ashem fight was awesome, the guy had a visor on and he still wrecked him. Good sport about it too, tapping his stick when Beagle was getting up
Old 10-15-2011, 11:46 AM   #6240
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Quote:
Shanahan has the potential to fuck up the game big time IMO example 1 is Ballard getting penalized twice already for legal
Hip checks
Posted via RS Mobile
That had nothing to do with shanahan and suspending players on dirty hits. That was just the refs making shitty calls
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-15-2011, 11:48 AM   #6241
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,273 Times in 1,631 Posts
Quote:
Hip checks
Posted via RS Mobile
uhh... that had nothing to do with Shanahan. that was 2 refs who couldn't recognize a clean hip check.
Spoiler!
Old 10-15-2011, 11:51 AM   #6242
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,216 Times in 510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Regardless, I'm happy that that plug Sturm is getting demoted.
Quote:
Everyone seem to forget what Mike Gillis was thinking of when he brought Marco Sturm in. Ask yourselves the following question: What was Mike Gillis bringing Marco Sturm for? Who did Mike Gillis have in mind when he signed Marco Sturm?

The answer is Ryan Kesler. Mike Gillis had in mind the style of game Ryan Kesler plays and what asset would gel and maximize the production from Ryan Kesler's 2nd line - not Cody Hodgson's 2nd line.

Right now, our replacement 2nd line center is Cody Hodgson. Yes, he has been the best offensive threat not named Sedin or Burrows. But Hodgson's style contrasts drastically with that of our actual 2nd line center Ryan Kesler. First off, Cody relies more heavily on puck possession, positioning and cycling to produce offense. He's similar to the Sedins, and like the Sedins when they first broke in, Cody can only produce by cycling and puck possession in the offensive zone - he is not deft enough on creating chances on the rush yet (Hodgson will learn to do this with time and experience just as the Sedins did).

Marco Sturm relies heavily on the rushing game - he's a run-and-gun player. Sturm does not cycle. What he's good at is rushing into the other team's zone, crash the net and create 2nd and 3rd chances off the rush by creating havoc. Now, compare that with Ryan Kesler's game. Kesler, being the Selke winner that he is, often creates his chances by first stripping the opposition of the puck, using his speed to create an odd-man rush situation (run-and-gun), carrying the puck into the offensive zone, and shooting it.

Last season, while Kesler is doing this, Raymond and Samuelsson would drive wide and stay on the perimeters. But what is Sturm's game? He's hardwired to go straight to the net and create havoc, screen the goalie, and get those 2nd and 3rd chances from rebounds that Kesler often created last season but no one was able to clean up.

Sturm looks horrible right now because unfortunately for him, our replacement 2nd line center plays a completely different style of offense from what our GM Mike Gillis was anticipating Sturm would be playing with - which is the run-and-gun game that Kesler brings.

Don't give up on Sturm until you see him with Kesler - because that is the one reason Gillis brought him here for. You can't give up on a product without even using it properly. It's like trying to brush your hair with a toothbrush and concluding that your toothbrush is a useless tool. It's not - you've just been using it wrong, and haven't put it to proper use yet. Now, after you brush your teeth with it, you can determine whether it is a terrible toothbrush or not. It may well turn out to be a terrible one, but you can't know until you've used it in its proper role.
cliffs

- Sturm is in a new conference, new game play, new line mates
- brought in to play run and gun style with kesler, not with Coho's puck possession style
- don't judge his play until he has played the way he was brought in to play as
Old 10-15-2011, 12:00 PM   #6243
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

i hope that's really the case! regardless, give sturm a bit more time.
Spoiler!
Old 10-15-2011, 12:50 PM   #6244

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayare604 View Post
That had nothing to do with shanahan and suspending players on dirty hits. That was just the refs making shitty calls
Posted via RS Mobile
Because as the head of discipline he doesn't talk to refs right?

And 2 separate refs calling penalties on hip checks, and other players making "clean" hip checks being penalized?

Nah nah
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-15-2011, 12:58 PM   #6245
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Quote:
Because as the head of discipline he doesn't talk to refs right?

And 2 separate refs calling penalties on hip checks, and other players making "clean" hip checks being penalized?

Nah nah
Posted via RS Mobile
Ballard got called on some hip checks last year. Oh wait, shanny was head of that disciplinary shit before this season, right?

Nah nah
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-15-2011, 02:09 PM   #6246

The ones he got called on we're called as clipping due to being low, not "tripping"

People on other forums I'm on who work for companies directly related to the NHL say players and executives are seriously thinking the NHL could take a serious down turn due to shanahan.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-15-2011, 02:15 PM   #6247
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,763 Times in 592 Posts
whenever i see that video i see a chinese guy instead of asham
Old 10-15-2011, 03:15 PM   #6248
Summertime Sadness

Thanked 2,911 Times in 648 Posts
The 3 girls singing anthem at Jets game

3 hours till game time!

* Sounds like Kevin Weekes is doing the Jets game so hope it's exciting new commentators for tonights game!

[15-01, 11:33] ICE BOY i'm going to wrap my dick in a crepe and make you suck the filling

[[09-10, 11:34] ICE BOY liquor in the front, poker in the rear

Last edited by LSF22; 10-15-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:50 PM   #6249
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

please say he's paired with mark lee. PLEASE. lol... i'm sick of those two ruining the game for me.
Spoiler!
Old 10-15-2011, 03:55 PM   #6250
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Rick Ball is with Weekes for the Jets game.

We get Mark Lee plus someone else.

FUCK...why couldn't Weekes take Lee with him? That would be like F'N CHRISTMAS.
This post thanked by:
Closed Thread