REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-29-2011, 08:07 PM   #626
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M5 View Post
Pretty much a done deal. If the gov wants those cars, they will get it!

Canada now becomes guilty unless proven innocent.
what? y u thank my post but have opposite opinion...
Advertisement
Jgresch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:23 PM   #627
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,112 Times in 264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDuang View Post

The Province also reports that several of the defendants are now known to have previous driving records that include not having a valid licence, all the way up to, you guessed it, street racing.
Well if the owners of the 5 cars being seized have had prior records I don't feel bad for them one bit.

Serves them right.

Slow learners right there.
Volvo-brickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:10 PM   #628
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgresch View Post
cuz matt told the police that it was only those 5 speeding
I dont think so cuz the blue lambo and the aston are his buddy's IIRC. Probably more cause they have a record or something??

I still think its lame especially if they do get the cars forfeited, because they didnt even have direct evidence.
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:11 PM   #629
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
lol yea i was being sarcastic :P
Jgresch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:11 PM   #630
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
it could be that the popos do have solid evidence but at this moment is not releasing details... though I doubt it, just throwing the idea out there
Old 09-30-2011, 10:52 AM   #631
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
So for those driving a $200k car... monetary punishment would be something as follows:

Speeding 1-20km over the limit: $138
Speeding 21-40km over the limit: $196
Speeding 41-60km over the limit: $368 + $960 DRP + Towing/Storage = $1500+?
Speeding 61+km over the limit: $483 + $960 DRP + Towing/Storage + Car = $200,000+

I want to know how this can make any rational sense.

So on a 110kmph highway, the difference between 165kmph and 175kmph can cost you a difference of $200,000? That's a load of crap.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2011, 11:55 AM   #632
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
I want to know how this can make any rational sense.
You'd have to be open minded enough to realize they are only pursuing forfeiture against 5 of the 13, and those 5 have a colourful driving record.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:01 PM   #633
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
^ bottomline is if you choose to speed +40kms/hr, be prepared to have your car impounded. This is absolutely bullshit, but it is the risk you take if you speed.
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:48 PM   #634
Banned (ABWS)

So what happens if these were leased vehicles? They would still be auctioned off and the holder of the lease has to pay back the dealership?
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:25 PM   #635
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
omg who careessssssssssss......i cant beleive this thread is still going on. let the police deal with it
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2011, 01:28 PM   #636
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
^ inb4 thisisaforumtodiscuss

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:01 PM   #637
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyzy View Post
So what happens if these were leased vehicles? They would still be auctioned off and the holder of the lease has to pay back the dealership?
One of the articles states all lien holders get paid first.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:46 PM   #638
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
thoughts?

Quote:
A group of street racers in high-end cars who whipped along Highway 99 in August at speeds up to 200 kilometres an hour have had their licences suspended for up to 20 months.

The Superintendent of Motor Vehicles has ordered the suspension of the licences of five men, following a large street race involving 13 luxury vehicles, including Ferraris, Maseratis, Mercedes, an Aston Martin, Audis, and Nissan R series worth $2 million, on Aug 31.

A B.C. Supreme Court claim is also seeking the forfeiture of five of the 13 cars: the Aston Martin, Nissan GTR, Mercedes SLS and two Lamborghinis. The document identifies the defendants as Dan Na Zhu, Zhang Hong Ma, Ying Chun Wang, Xiu Bo Wang, Xiao Qiang Zhang, and John Doe 1 and 2, who are both minors. It also noted that the drivers are likely to use the cars again in the future to “engage in unlawful acts.”

Officers at the time noted that none of the drivers was much over 20. Only Wang holds a full licence, while Ma, Zhang and John Doe 2 had class “N” learning licences. Some also had previous driving infractions, including street racing.

“The Director [of Civil Forfeiture] says that the manner in which the high performance vehicles were operated by the drivers ... was likely to cause serious bodily harm to motorists using the highway and thus these vehicles they constitute instruments of unlawful activity as that term is defined in the [Motor Vehicle] Act,” the document said.

According to the claim, the drivers, most in their 20s, met at Lansdowne Centre in Richmond on Aug. 31 and planned to race to South Surrey by way of Highway 99. As they sped along the highway, they cut in and out of traffic, and blocked other traffic so other cars in the group could race each other down stretches of the highway. They were caught by police after racing through the Massey Tunnel at about 3:30 p.m.

Deas Island Freeway Patrol responded to emergency calls of dangerous driving and Surrey RCMP helped stop six of the vehicles as they left the highway. The other set of vehicles were stopped shortly after by White Rock RCMP.

At the time, the Mounties impounded the vehicles for seven days, charging racers with driving without due consideration and fining them $196 each.

Read more: Street racers lose licences
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #639
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
They will probably just drive without a license.. If cars are powered by daddy. Cops would never know that the kid is driving unless they pull them over since insurance in under parents name. This is a risk that these kids would most likely take..

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #640
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,284 Times in 420 Posts
Wonder what Matt Zhang has been driving lately
Sky_High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #641

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
the flying spur probably
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:01 PM   #642
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon-88 View Post
They will probably just drive without a license.. If cars are powered by daddy. Cops would never know that the kid is driving unless they pull them over since insurance in under parents name. This is a risk that these kids would most likely take..
If they do, and get caught, their cars will be impounded for a few months, and the judge can (yet often don't) give them jail time.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:05 PM   #643
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High View Post
Wonder what Matt Zhang has been driving lately
I think hes still rockin the R8, he posted a photoshoot couple days back on FB and saw him drive past on cambie the other day.
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:43 PM   #644
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
A couple of friends and I were talking about these idiot kids this past weekend and I think the North American way of thinking about hitting these kids (or parents) where it hurts, the pocket book is just not going to work. Unfortunately, most rich mainlanders don't really care that much about money, because they can always make more. If you really want the parents to play a more active role in their kid's behaviour, hit asians were it hurts....."Face". Any person caught speeding +50kms or greater than posted speed limit, post there picture and name in the newspaper. I guarantee you, this will get a response from these kids parents.

Asians care more about "face" than money.

No asian parent wants to deal with the ridicule from other parents. "oh, I saw your son in the paper"
You got the point there. 120% agree.
Posted via RS Mobile
minimebang is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-05-2011, 09:07 AM   #645
I subscribe to Revscene

Kind of related...

Fleet of Ferraris ruined in Japan sportscar pileup | CTV Autos
Durrann is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-06-2011, 06:05 AM   #646
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

They'll just drive with a DL from another country/province. Nothing the Superintendant can do about that.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:06 AM   #647

Thanked 2,907 Times in 754 Posts
BACK in the news!

Street racers seek to have driving bans overturned

Two people allegedly involved in a street-racing incident where high-end sports cars were travelling at up to 200 km/h are seeking to overturn their lengthy driving bans.

Dan Na Zhu, also known as Danna Zhu, 21, received a 20-month driving prohibition for her actions behind the wheel of an Aston Martin following the August incident.

Zhuo “Tony” Huang, a 28-year-old West Vancouver realtor and father of two, received a 16-month ban for his conduct behind the wheel of a Lamborghini.

The pair has filed a petition in B.C. Supreme Court seeking to quash the driving suspensions imposed by the superintendent of motor vehicles.

The petition says that the prohibitions are unreasonable and based on a “generic, hearsay” report by police.

Zhu says she and 13 other drivers of exotic vehicles gathered at the Landsdowne mall in Richmond to drive to a restaurant in White Rock to celebrate a friend leaving to attend university in California.

At the time of the incident, police received a number of 911 calls reporting that a group of high-end sports cars were being driven in a highly aggressive manner, weaving in and out of traffic.

The vehicles were said to be travelling at speeds of up to 200 km/h.

But in documents filed in court, Zhu, a student from China attending college in Coquitlam, says her speed was generally in the range of 115 km/h.

“At no time did I participate in holding up traffic from behind, nor did I participate in any racing with the group of exotic cars ahead of me, or with the group of cars that I was travelling with.”

Zhu sought a review of the suspension but an adjudicator found that while she had categorically denied involvement in street racing, it wasn’t likely that independent witnesses would provide information to police if there was no basis for their claims.

Huang also denied any involvement in street racing.

“I did not conspire or agree with anyone to travel to White Rock for the purpose of racing,” he said in court documents.

In a letter to the authorities, his lawyer, Russ Chamberlain, said the police had not provided “one scintilla” of evidence that his client was engaged in racing.

Chamberlain said that before taking any action against a driver in B.C., there must be evidence, whether it is direct, hearsay, double or triple hearsay.

“The superintendent should not act upon rumor, speculation or hysteria,” wrote Chamberlain.

The lawyer said Huang was a businessman with business and family responsibilities that depend upon his ability to drive.

But in rejecting Huang’s appeal, an adjudicator noted that Huang had two driving convictions -- for speeding and for an improperly equipped vehicle -- that resulted in driving suspensions.

The adjudicator found that it was improbable that the number of witnesses would provide information to police about the street racing incident if there was no basis for their claims.

Huang’s involvement posed a “high risk” to other users of the road, he said.

kfraser@theprovince.com

twitter.com/keithrfraser

© Copyright (c) The Province

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/news/Stre...#ixzz1gRIWbya8
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-13-2011, 09:31 AM   #648
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Good for those two. While i don't doubt there were people doing what the witnesses claimed, performing a group impoundment because they were there isn't right.
Posted via RS Mobile
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-13-2011, 09:54 AM   #649
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Good for those two. While i don't doubt there were people doing what the witnesses claimed, performing a group imprudent because they were there isn't right.
Posted via RS Mobile
You have to remember they went after 5 of the 13, for good reason. Those 5 have previous convictions, and with multiple convictions are now eligible for the Driver Improvement Program where the superintendent hands out suspensions on an individual basis.

She just pleaded guilty to speeding (115 in a 80/90/100 depending on the location), so add another ticket to her record - and do the same to him. Then consider some of these drivers have Ns (we don't know these drivers specifically) and the superintendent has even more power to keep them off the road.

It is going to be interesting to see how the BC Supreme Court rules, as the superintendent has a lot of power to deal with repeat offenders which hasn't been successfully challenged previously.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:56 AM   #650
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I hate to say it, but good for them.

I don’t support the actions of people who drive like douche bags. I don’t support people with money that believe the law doesn’t apply to them. But the burden of proof has to lay with the arresting or charging officers and the courts. “He said she said” can’t be all this is based on when you have serious penalties and fines.

If the officers can’t prove they were breaking the law, and the witnesses can’t identify individuals (cars, license plates or faces), who’s to say they are not telling the truth? While I’m betting they were just and involved as the rest, they still have the right to have to have what amounts to charges with penalties proven against them before they are penalized for it don’t they? Good for them on fighting it. I know I wouldnt have the money to fight it, so Im glad they are.
91civicZC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: