REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-13-2011, 09:58 AM   #651
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
You have to remember they went after 5 of the 13, for good reason. Those 5 have previous convictions, and with multiple convictions are now eligible for the Driver Improvement Program where the superintendent hands out suspensions on an individual basis.

She just pleaded guilty to speeding (115 in a 80/90/100 depending on the location), so add another ticket to her record - and do the same to him. Then consider some of these drivers have Ns (we don't know these drivers specifically) and the superintendent has even more power to keep them off the road.

It is going to be interesting to see how the BC Supreme Court rules, as the superintendent has a lot of power to deal with repeat offenders which hasn't been successfully challenged previously.
Was that ticket handed out for that incident, or was that somthing else?

If she pleaded guilty to the speeding ticket at the time, that will make her case harder, but if it was unrelated, it shouldnt come into play.
Advertisement
91civicZC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:43 PM   #652
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91civicZC View Post
If she pleaded guilty to the speeding ticket at the time, that will make her case harder, but if it was unrelated, it shouldnt come into play.
Of course it does, read about the Driver Improvement Program. Its for drivers that have multiple infractions in a short timeframe. As mentioned in the many articles, they only went after 5 of the 13 cause those 5 had prior infractions.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:47 PM   #653
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91civicZC View Post
But the burden of proof has to lay with the arresting or charging officers and the courts. “He said she said” can’t be all this is based on when you have serious penalties and fines.
There's a topic in the police section posted recently you may want to review:
http://www.revscene.net/forums/65115...ket-valid.html

Quote:
The courts will also accept estimates of speed from both police officers and the general public where the witness is credible and has knowledge and experience that would allow them to guage speed. Most drivers would have this capability through the experience of operating their own vehicle. Police officers have this capability as well as practice with it as they estimate speed and then confirm that speed with either a laser or radar in the course of their enforcement duties.
The serious penalties in this case are a result of multiple infractions, not the single incident or all 13 would be currently suspended.

I have no problem with this course of action. Ontario has a similar program, where after so many points accumulated you have an interview with the Ministry of Transportation and they can suspend your license at that time.

Last edited by taylor192; 12-13-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:50 PM   #654
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
these speeding numbnuts are fighting for themselves, but what happens with their case will have huge precedent setting ramifications for all drivers in BC....I hope they hire a top notch atttorney.

From what I hear and read about this case, the police do not have a case......
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-13-2011, 01:59 PM   #655
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
The courts will also accept estimates of speed from both police officers and the general public where the witness is credible and has knowledge and experience that would allow them to gauge speed.
I'd like to see where the credibility/experience of the finger-waggers who called in was considered. Keep in mind no police officers witnessed the alleged incident on the highway

Lol so many butthurt idiots on the comments section
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:43 PM   #656
Banned (ABWS)

filthy rich mainlanders. claiming low income status while living in 10 million houses in the west side. fuck them.
niu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-13-2011, 03:41 PM   #657
G'd up! w000weee

Quote:
Originally Posted by niu99 View Post
filthy rich mainlanders. claiming low income status while living in 10 million houses in the west side. fuck them.
you jelly?
mmmk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-13-2011, 03:44 PM   #658
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Quote:
wtf is your pt?
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:01 PM   #659
DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?

Thanked 2,571 Times in 689 Posts
Quote:
What does that have to do with anything?
If I'm earning 100k annually after taxes and driving down hw91 doing speeds of 200km/h+ (or so the story goes), it would be acceptable?
Culture_Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:13 PM   #660
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
^ i think he's just saying that these people immigrate here JUST to take full advantage of our social benefits whilst declaring low income (and hence paying minimal taxes).

I for one, know at least two families who got their canadian citizenship just to "see doctor" and "cheap university".

inb4 "you mad?"
yes, i am actually quite pissed at these people, as they also do complain about the wait times at the family doctor.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:17 PM   #661
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,823 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
wtf is your pt?
the point is they are loaded but taking advantage of social programs; eating up resources that were meant for the needy. You don't see a problem with that?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:05 PM   #662
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:

The serious penalties in this case are a result of multiple infractions, not the single incident or all 13 would be currently suspended.

I have no problem with this course of action. Ontario has a similar program, where after so many points accumulated you have an interview with the Ministry of Transportation and they can suspend your license at that time.
I think you missed my point entirely.

If someone gets 5 speeding tickets in a year and you want to take away their licence, that’s great. I get it and it makes sense. Good for the province.
In this case, I still haven’t seen anything saying they were clocked at such and such speed, or were even observed by an officer speeding. All of this is from people who were on the highway saying they were speeding heavily.
People are innocent until proven guilty.

While I have no doubt that these people were part of the problem, there isn’t anything I have reported that would show the police can prove it. Its all based on witnesses saying that this happened, but nothing to really back it up (at least reported on by the media, for all we know the cops do have evidence apart from statements that were reported)

If witnesses can pick out specific cars or identify drivers that’s one thing, but just claiming to see a group of people speeding, and the police catch up with them after the fact and start towing and pulling licences makes no sense to me.

Im glad that you have no problem with this course of action, ill think you find that many people do.

If they are pulling her licence due to how many speeding tickets she has racked up, no worries, good on them. If they are pulling her licence due to this situation (which is whats being reported) then they should have to do a lot more than "you were with a group of people who were reported speeding by some other people on a highway".
91civicZC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-13-2011, 09:12 PM   #663
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Quote:
You have to remember they went after 5 of the 13, for good reason. Those 5 have previous convictions, and with multiple convictions are now eligible for the Driver Improvement Program where the superintendent hands out suspensions on an individual basis.

She just pleaded guilty to speeding (115 in a 80/90/100 depending on the location), so add another ticket to her record - and do the same to him. Then consider some of these drivers have Ns (we don't know these drivers specifically) and the superintendent has even more power to keep them off the road.

It is going to be interesting to see how the BC Supreme Court rules, as the superintendent has a lot of power to deal with repeat offenders which hasn't been successfully challenged previously.
The Superintendant is an idiot. In his role, he is supposed to act as one of the checks and balances in our legal system to ensure there isn't abuse of power by the police. Just because they were at the wrong place/wrong time and happened to have a bad driving record is not grounds for suspension, unless they were charged/convicted of an additional offence.

You should learn how the law works. Her comments that she was driving at 115, is not the same as being charged and convicted of speeding.

Last edited by Marco911; 12-13-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Marco911 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-13-2011, 11:08 PM   #664
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro Ray View Post
^ i think he's just saying that these people immigrate here JUST to take full advantage of our social benefits whilst declaring low income (and hence paying minimal taxes).

I for one, know at least two families who got their canadian citizenship just to "see doctor" and "cheap university".

inb4 "you mad?"
yes, i am actually quite pissed at these people, as they also do complain about the wait times at the family doctor.

Not gonna go into details of how I know, but if you date a Fob, bring your own condom.

Makes me wonder if being a Canadian Citizen is actually that easy.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-14-2011, 06:57 AM   #665
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuGen View Post
Makes me wonder if being a Canadian Citizen is actually that easy.
Stupidly easy... unless you're someone who, you know, actually wants to go through the proper process and be a productive member of Canadian society... then it takes at least 4-5 years:
Immigration nightmare - News Hour - Videos | Global BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:19 AM   #666
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Pretty sure they are linked now, u can't apply for a transfer without the status of your current DL being suspended showing up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
They'll just drive with a DL from another country/province. Nothing the Superintendant can do about that.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:26 AM   #667

WTF charge is improperly equipped vehicle? No front plate?
But in rejecting Huang’s appeal, an adjudicator noted that Huang had two driving convictions -- for speeding and for an improperly equipped vehicle -- that resulted in driving suspensions.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:06 AM   #668
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
The Superintendant is an idiot. In his role, he is supposed to act as one of the checks and balances in our legal system to ensure there isn't abuse of power by the police.
I think you need research what the Superintendent's role is, you're very confused.

Quote:
You should learn how the law works. Her comments that she was driving at 115, is not the same as being charged and convicted of speeding.
You understand the concept of admission of guilt, right? Since you know the law and all...
Old 12-14-2011, 10:11 AM   #669
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
I'd like to see where the credibility/experience of the finger-waggers who called in was considered. Keep in mind no police officers witnessed the alleged incident on the highway
Me too.

The articles are very vague about how many called in, and how many are willing to be witnesses. Yet remember if this goes before a judge it becomes all shades of grey, as the judge's ruling becomes the law. The judge may rule that 10+ people witnessing the same event is enough to make their testimony credible, or may rule the opposite.

These people are playing games with our court system and it has the chance to make our lives worse if they lose and the ruling becomes law.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:54 PM   #670
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
ohhhhh myyyyyyyyyyyy why is this thread is going on
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-10-2012, 06:39 PM   #671
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Global BC | Speeding Lamborghini sold while three seized vehicles remain in dispute
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #672
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
Rawr!
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:57 PM   #673

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
I'm not gonna talk outta my ass and pretend that I know all the details here and how everything works.
But from browsing the thread a little bit and reading this latest headline, basically they got busted racing, cops seized the vehicles sold it and kept the profit ????

I'm not gonna stand up for any of these little douchebags who took part in this, but if that's what it is, then this blows my mind, I do not understand how this seizure and sale is legal in any way, what are the laws in regards to this specifically ??
I understand the seizure, but then the sale of someone's property like that by the police ? reminds me of the "proceeds of crime" laws they got

is there more to this because from what I'm understanding if I'm caught doing 120 on let's say HWY1 and maybe passing a slower car to someone else it can look like racing they can call the cops, they pull me over seize my car and sell it ?

I know Toronto had something similar but worse few years back when they seized and crushed street racers cars, but they had to cut it out because of the public backlash. I have family over there and they tell me it's still sort of officially in effect but the police don't actually crush the cars anymore.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #674
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-spec View Post
I'm not gonna talk outta my ass and pretend that I know all the details here and how everything works.
But from browsing the thread a little bit and reading this latest headline, basically they got busted racing, cops seized the vehicles sold it and kept the profit ????

I'm not gonna stand up for any of these little douchebags who took part in this, but if that's what it is, then this blows my mind, I do not understand how this seizure and sale is legal in any way, what are the laws in regards to this specifically ??
I understand the seizure, but then the sale of someone's property like that by the police ? reminds me of the "proceeds of crime" laws they got

is there more to this because from what I'm understanding if I'm caught doing 120 on let's say HWY1 and maybe passing a slower car to someone else it can look like racing they can call the cops, they pull me over seize my car and sell it ?

I know Toronto had something similar but worse few years back when they seized and crushed street racers cars, but they had to cut it out because of the public backlash. I have family over there and they tell me it's still sort of officially in effect but the police don't actually crush the cars anymore.
Just to sum it up for you many people are arguing that there really isn't sufficient evidence that they were speeding, let alone racing, so far it seems like all they have was the few phone calls they got from untrained observers. The whole seizure and sale thing is just another can of worms the government decided to open. It's supposed to be innocent until proven guilty as someone has stated and the evidence provided should be proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

IMHO had it been several elderly white women behind the wheels this case would've gone very differently, the government is trying to make a statement and honestly it seems like most of the people in this city are against the drivers (most obvious are the comments people post in the vancouver sun online article etc.) Young people + expensive cars = just too easy to hate, but in the end, that type of discrimination has no place in our justice system and I sure as hell don't think any justice is being served by seizing/selling these cars until I see some cold hard evidence.

I wanna know what criminologists and lawyers are saying regarding these cases
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #675

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
Quote:
Phil Tawtel, acting executive director of B.C.’s Civil Forfeiture Office, said today that the Lamborghi was sold by mutual consent with the owner.
The driver's dad probably agreed to sell the car.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote