REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #676
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
Sold by mutual consent?

So Phil asks owner of the car if he can sell it, and keep the money, and owner agrees?
Advertisement
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #677
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Owner probably just didn't want the hassle of dealing with son/daughter's shit and standing up in court against a government body, it's a common saying "if money can fix the problem it's not a problem"
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2012, 09:42 PM   #678
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
car was getting old la. have someone take it already very good la
Old 01-11-2012, 08:27 AM   #679
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-spec View Post
I understand the seizure, but then the sale of someone's property like that by the police ? reminds me of the "proceeds of crime" laws they got
That's exactly what they're using in these cases, albeit completely inappropriately.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #680
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
I wanna know what criminologists and lawyers are saying regarding these cases
The civil forfeiture office is in the process of taking a friend of mine's house for a crime that would have been a fine prior to Harper's gov't taking over. There are a lot of problems with the forfeiture laws, first of which is that they're so new that there hasn't been sufficient time for the courts to argue the fine details of the law, therefore no precedent. Plus the laws are written in such a way that their vagueness adds to their strength. As they're now written, any personal item that you use in the course of committing any crime can be forfeited.

To me, that goes far past the powers that I want my gov't to have.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #681
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
is there more to this because from what I'm understanding if I'm caught doing 120 on let's say HWY1 and maybe passing a slower car to someone else it can look like racing they can call the cops, they pull me over seize my car and sell it ?
You are misunderstanding.

if that was true they'd be pursuing all 13, not just 5. Those 5 have terrible driving records, so if you have a terribly driving record I would suggest slowing down.

Quote:
I know Toronto had something similar but worse few years back when they seized and crushed street racers cars, but they had to cut it out because of the public backlash. I have family over there and they tell me it's still sort of officially in effect but the police don't actually crush the cars anymore.
Myth.

Toronto never crushed any cars, and the original law is still in effect despite several challenges. Hell Onterrible has used their law against police, ambulance and fire vehicles when used off duty for inappropriate purposes - which shows how fair they are being to slow everyone down.

The "crushed cars" warning came from some Toronto dip-shit talking out his ass.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-11-2012, 09:28 AM   #682
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
Old 01-11-2012, 09:29 AM   #683
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
it just doesn't make sense, I mean it's obvious they got money but the cops are still trying to hurt them with monetary punishments... it doesn't make any fckin sense on top of being highly questionable... I'd rather take these and toss'em in jail, guaranteed that will be more of a lesson not to fck around than seizing their car, they're just gonna hit up the dealership the following week and buy something better anyway...

and Toronto did crush a few cars back in the day, I'm there once or twice a year I remember it was on the news when I was there few years back I'll try and find clip online to post... but yea they're not doing it anymore though to my knowledge, the whole thing was just meant to scare the street racers.

edit: here's the clip I remember seeing from YT, found a little quote from a news article which is plain scary, hope this shit doesn't make it's way here..

Under the Civil Remedies Act, you don't have to be convicted, just arrested for an illegal activity. The drivers of the cars in question were cited for speeding and dangerous driving, and now their valuable vehicles are scrap metal.

and interestingly this clip from California I seen not too long ago, think it was actually posted here on RS by someone, very similar situation except they say these cars were built with stolen parts F&F style

Last edited by G-spec; 01-11-2012 at 09:34 AM.
G-spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #684
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
So the pussy (Lamborghini owner) decided to sell his car without challenging. Or maybe they had the strongest case against him and his lawyer advised him to deal (what I think is most likely).

One other case was dropped after "new evidence" came up. The other three cases are being disputed. So at least they're challenging it and going to court. This way we'll see what the evidence being used is and if it eventually stands up or not (good for the rest of us).

I'm glad three of them lawyered up. Too many assholes just pay up since they can afford it which does nothing for others that come later in terms of setting any precedent (besides the precedent of being a pussy).
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2012, 10:38 PM   #685
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post
I'm glad three of them lawyered up. Too many assholes just pay up since they can afford it which does nothing for others that come later in terms of setting any precedent (besides the precedent of being a pussy).
I hope you realize that's a double-edged sword. There's assholes that fight the system only to lose and set a stronger precedent.

Right now the law is pretty grey and they are going after the 5 worst offenders, which I feel is very fair. If they lose the law becomes black and white and they can go after any of us that fit the same criteria.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2012, 09:36 AM   #686
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Myth.

Toronto never crushed any cars, and the original law is still in effect despite several challenges. Hell Onterrible has used their law against police, ambulance and fire vehicles when used off duty for inappropriate purposes - which shows how fair they are being to slow everyone down.

Yes they did, and I have a picture of it somewhere in an old Super Street magazine. They crushed some kid's Honda using a big tractor. They drove right over the car while others looked on.

I don't have time to find the pic now, but I remember it vividly. I'll try to find it when I get home later.

edit: Found it, thanks google!

http://www.citytv.com/toronto/cityne...need-for-speed
This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #687
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,393 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Toronto never crushed any cars............

Ahhhh the irony of this post.

JD像 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #688
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
Yes they did, and I have a picture of it somewhere in an old Super Street magazine. They crushed some kid's Honda using a big tractor. They drove right over the car while others looked on.

I don't have time to find the pic now, but I remember it vividly. I'll try to find it when I get home later.

edit: Found it, thanks google!

http://www.citytv.com/toronto/cityne...need-for-speed
You might want to check some of the dates and facts on this story, not just a simple media story or rants on forums.

There's a reason they crushed these cars a couple years after they were seized. Do your homework and you'll realize why I called them Toronto dip shits talking out their ass - not once has a car been seized and crushed under the new Ontario street racing law, as these were not seized under that law and this event was staged to make a moot point.

Its like saying the new BC excessive speeding law lead to the Ferrari being forfeited last year and now the Lambo - when its a completely different law that being used to seize the cars and they would have been seized without the new BC excessive speeding law, and those crushed cars before the new Ontario stunt driving law.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #689
they call me the snowman

You're arguing semantics now.

The gov't took the cars, quoted a law, then crushed them. That's pretty final as far as I'm concerned, thanks to some level of government.
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #690
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
You're arguing semantics now.

The gov't took the cars, quoted a law, then crushed them. That's pretty final as far as I'm concerned, thanks to some level of government.
Posted via RS Mobile
I definitely am. Semantics are important in both these cases, cause the cars weren't seized for just speeding (like many in BC worry about) or for just being modified (like many in Ontario worried about). Hell they weren't seized for just racing one time either, the BC cars were seized for terrible driving records, and the Ontario cars were seized for criminal activity if I remember correctly (they found stolen stuff on/in the cars, which not surprisingly was not reported in the main stream media).

Not one car has been confiscated or crushed by just the BC excessive speeding or Ontario stunt driving laws, thus most members on here should not fear having their car forfeited if they are caught 40+ kmph over. For those that do have terrible driving records and/or street race I have no pity that other laws will severely punish them and forfeit their cars - these people should learn the hard way.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:28 PM   #691
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
One dude is back on the roads.

Judge overturns driving ban against alleged street racer
Posted via RS Mobile
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #692
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
The judge said:

Quote:
“There is no evidence that Mr. Wang committed any infraction of any kind. At most there is a circumstantial case that he was part of a group of motorists about whom unidentified callers made generalized complaints.”

The judge said the police and the superintendent were “a little ahead of themselves” in acting on an “untenable foundation.”

This is a good ruling and will hopefully set a precedent for officers who go too far in their interpretation of the law
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #693
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD像 View Post
Ahhhh the irony of this post.

That is "lol of the day" award winner for this January 30, 2012.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2012, 09:50 AM   #694
The RS Freebie guru

Quote:
B.C. Supreme Court Justice Mark McEwan tore a strip off the police and the superintendent for imposing the suspension.

The judge said the police report “does nothing more than recount hearsay complaints” regarding a group of vehicles being driven irresponsibly.

He said there was no specific information tying any vehicle of any specific description or licence number to any specific act of irresponsible driving.

“There is no evidence that Mr. Wang committed any infraction of any kind. At most there is a circumstantial case that he was part of a group of motorists about whom unidentified callers made generalized complaints.”

The judge said the police and the superintendent were “a little ahead of themselves” in acting on an “untenable foundation.”

“The incidents members of the public observed were obviously disturbing. It is understandable that the officer and the members of the public were unimpressed with the circumstances and the attitudes of those suspected of being involved.”

But it is “still the law” that we sanction people for what we can prove they have done, rather than for what we suspect they may be a part of, the judge concluded.

“It was arbitrary and completely unreasonable to issue a prohibition on the level of proof offered by the officer.”

The judge said Yim Kwan Kot, another driver who was suspended and who filed an appeal along with Wang, on the facts appears to be in precisely the same position and is entitled to the same relief.
Justice.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:39 AM   #695
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,803 Times in 1,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
Justice.
That just about sums it up.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:45 AM   #696
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
^ I am relieved the Supreme Court saw this case for what it is....a farce with no facts just hersay. I am not happy those idiots are getting off, but the police have no concrete evidence. I am happy to see the power stay with the courts.
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2012, 12:00 PM   #697
The RS Freebie guru

Wonder if anything else will be overturned, such as their tickets, getting towed, and being impounded.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:39 PM   #698
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Justice.
It does exist.

IBTaylor coming in and telling us we're all wrong, that justice doesn't exist, and it's all an internet ruse to get us to vote Liberal next election because Ontario is the best and we're all street racing stoners who live with our parents.

This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2012, 01:12 PM   #699
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Wonder if anything else will be overturned, such as their tickets, getting towed, and being impounded.
I don't care whether the owners are filthy rich or not, for justice to be fully served RCMP needs to own up to their mistake and the victims deserve restitution. All the bills involved and even the defamation has a cost and if RCMP is not going to make it right for these people they have wrongfully charged we can't go off and say that justice has been served. At the very least show some accountability and issue a public apology.

P.S. I want to hear what the province bandwagon commenters are saying now along with groups like RTR (resist the race) who spoke out against these drivers.

The kind of comments I'm talking about : The Province

Last edited by ilvtofu; 01-31-2012 at 01:25 PM.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2012, 02:20 PM   #700
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
IBTaylor coming in and telling us we're all wrong
If you think that's justice, then please refrain from responding to any thread where yet another crime goes unpunished cause of our weak justice system. They are not innocent, and this is not justice.

I'm not OK with kids using our highways as race tracks, and not OK with them getting away with it - regardless of how much money they have or what they drive.

I posted several times before that this case will depend on the credibility of the witnesses, and its sad that none were willing to step forward to testify. Without witnesses, there is no case, sadly.
This post FAILED by: