REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-04-2021, 02:39 PM   #12251
hoppity HOP HOP

Thanked 1,617 Times in 522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I usually give it 2 flashes but I don't think it's very common either way.
I think it's more common with bus or semi drivers.

I usually give the hand wave visible through the rear window because I have to take my eyes off the road to find the hazards button.
Advertisement
Spectre_Cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2021, 03:31 AM   #12252
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
I do that too! only if there's no car behind me. Tho I find sometimes it doesn't work.
lol, because of it sometimes not working, I feel too self conscious when it doesn't work, so I stopped doing it. I think it depends if how early you're there. Like if the light is about to change within the next 10-15 seconds, it doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
I used to do that, but realized that under certain circumstances, you're not doing the flow of traffic any favours. Preventing thru traffic from going, for two cars to turn left. There's a reason for the second sensor. Late at night when traffic's light, sure. Nobody would care. I knew a guy who would purposely reverse to trip the sensor. Until he got caught by the cops, lol.
While it's true that this maneuver is somewhat controversial, if it's really just 2 cars, that's like an extra 10 seconds the through traffic has to wait before the light changes to their favour. On the other hand, the 2 left turners would have to wait for the entire traffic flow to end before they can turn on the yellow, or only 1 car gets to turn cause someone in the through traffic runs a late yellow. If it's late at night, then it's kind of pointless since the traffic is so light anyway.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 11:18 AM   #12253
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Does anyone else smell smoke?

I thought something in my house was burning, but I feel like I can smell it outside too, just not as strong

Not sure if I'm just going crazy or what
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 11:31 AM   #12254
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post

For double doors like this, in regards to the door handles. Can I just buy two full sets, then to make 1 a dummy handle, by removing the middle mechanism that moves left and right?
Yes you can, just buy match gripsets and on the stationary door don't put in the bolt and latch, you wont have the hole in the door for those anyways.

Just make sure you take your old one off and try to match the holes center to center, newer hardware have different specs and you might have holes left over on the bottom of the gripset you'll have to fill after mounting.
PDKGD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2021, 08:28 PM   #12255
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Does anyone else smell smoke?

I thought something in my house was burning, but I feel like I can smell it outside too, just not as strong

Not sure if I'm just going crazy or what
You cray cray ... it was raining today bro.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2021, 09:10 PM   #12256
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
You cray cray ... it was raining today bro.
lmao I wasn't the only one though, so, phew! Mustve been a nearby fire or something
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2021, 01:03 AM   #12257
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Light Up Chinatown Event

https://www.chinatownfoundation.org/light-up-chinatown/
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2021, 06:28 AM   #12258
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts
Quote:
going for dat Peking Duck Croissants I heard about before but missed out on
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2021, 07:54 AM   #12259
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Where can one go print things without a printer at home. I used to print my personal things at my work.
BlackV62K2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 07:55 AM   #12260

^ Staples ...
This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2021, 08:49 AM   #12261
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDKGD3 View Post
Just make sure you take your old one off and try to match the holes center to center, newer hardware have different specs and you might have holes left over on the bottom of the gripset you'll have to fill after mounting.
Some of them have a decent bit of vertical adjustment, I can't remember what brand I put on the front door but the bottom bolt thing had a range of a few inches up and down.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2021, 09:49 AM   #12262
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
lol, because of it sometimes not working, I feel too self conscious when it doesn't work, so I stopped doing it. I think it depends if how early you're there. Like if the light is about to change within the next 10-15 seconds, it doesn't work.
You must stop on the detection loop about a second before the cross street turns yellow lol. Sometimes i miss it by half a second, then wait as usual. No hard feelings haha.

Afaik, Vancouver seems to be the only place that uses 1st and 3rd position, with the exception of Boundary @ Henning, which is one set of loops on the 2nd position only. All others have it at the stop line, or converted to camera detection, which always detects the first car for left turn anyway

Imo it can be advantageous even if it’s just you and the car in front. You never know, maybe the person in front is the type of driver who waits until the next yellow/red before turning, even if the oncoming traffic clears up. It can inadvertently help them lol
Old 09-07-2021, 10:45 AM   #12263

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
Whenever it's 2 loops, does sitting on the 2nd loop without someone on the 1st loop do anything? I've seen people do that at night, but never noticed whether or not it works.
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 01:12 PM   #12264
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,025 Posts
You need both loops occupied, I tried.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 01:22 PM   #12265
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Depends on the intersection. It seems to be a programmable setting. I've seen dual-loops work when both are occupied, and ones where one car on the back loop is enough. Time of day can also affect the behavior. I've got all the ones on my commute and neighborhood memorized.

It pains me to see people not understand why they need to be behind the stop line because that's where the sensor is. I've also seen people that don't come up far enough to trigger the sensor, too.
Old 09-07-2021, 09:34 PM   #12266

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Some of them have a decent bit of vertical adjustment, I can't remember what brand I put on the front door but the bottom bolt thing had a range of a few inches up and down.
I think SOME lines in weiser kwikset have the bottom bolt with adjustment, unsure about the schlage residential stuff.

If you're not too picky about design its usually fine, but I've noticed if you want to match older decorative gripsets it gets much harder to find that arent fixed.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2021, 11:05 PM   #12267

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
while we're still on the topic of doors. I replaced the door seals and now I need to push/pull to latch the door, and further push/pull the door in order to engage the bolt.

/rant
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2021, 11:20 PM   #12268

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
while we're still on the topic of doors. I replaced the door seals and now I need to push/pull to latch the door, and further push/pull the door in order to engage the bolt.

/rant
Common, just file down the strike plate with a dremel, ez fix
This post thanked by:
Old 09-08-2021, 05:59 AM   #12269

Quote:
I used to do that, but realized that under certain circumstances, you're not doing the flow of traffic any favours. Preventing thru traffic from going, for two cars to turn left. There's a reason for the second sensor. Late at night when traffic's light, sure. Nobody would care. I knew a guy who would purposely reverse to trip the sensor. Until he got caught by the cops, lol.
You cray cray bro! What do I care about the flow of traffic when I'm stuck behind a red light for what seems like eternity? It never even entered my mind that someone going perpendicular to me might get home for dinner 2 mins later if I pull the reverse to trip 2nd sensor behind me move.

Plus, eventually, the light would have turned in my favor (after what feels like 10 mins), so the flow would be eventually "interrupted" ... I just quickened that.

And what the hell would the cops give the guy a ticket for if driver reversed one car length to trip the green light in his/her favor? How is that a violation of the MVA? Is having a passenger go and push the cross light a violation of MVA also? I knew a guy who lived at one of these intersections and he would carry like a 8 ft retractable pole so he could push the crosswalk button to trip the light ... lmao !!
Old 09-08-2021, 10:37 AM   #12270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
Depends on the intersection. It seems to be a programmable setting. I've seen dual-loops work when both are occupied, and ones where one car on the back loop is enough. Time of day can also affect the behavior. I've got all the ones on my commute and neighborhood memorized.

It pains me to see people not understand why they need to be behind the stop line because that's where the sensor is. I've also seen people that don't come up far enough to trigger the sensor, too.
The people that inch forward at a sensor intersection and inch far enough that they don't trip the sensor anymore and the light never changes. Idiots.

So there's one intersection I know 100% is sensor triggered because I drive there everyday, but there's no circles on the ground. How does that work?
I had been stuck behind a bus before where the driver edged to the right side for the left turn so the sensor didn't trip and we ended up waiting for a good 5 mins until a pedestrian crossed.

(Why do ppl do that thing where they edge the car to the opposite edge of where they are turning? This ain't V3 and no one is doing TST)
Old 09-08-2021, 01:04 PM   #12271

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
So there's one intersection I know 100% is sensor triggered because I drive there everyday, but there's no circles on the ground. How does that work?
I had been stuck behind a bus before where the driver edged to the right side for the left turn so the sensor didn't trip and we ended up waiting for a good 5 mins until a pedestrian crossed.
I can think of a few like that. Which intersection are you speaking of?
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 01:17 PM   #12272
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Could be infrared (or possibly microwave). They look like cameras mounted on the traffic light.

Quote:
https://elteccorp.com/news/other/are...raffic-lights/
Infrared sensors are another type of sensor often used in traffic signals. Instead of being embedded in the pavement, these sensors are mounted overhead to detect the presence of vehicles in an intersection. The two types of infrared traffic sensors are active infrared sensors and passive infrared sensors.

Active infrared sensors emit low-level infrared energy into a specific zone to detect vehicles. When that energy is interrupted by the presence of a vehicle, the sensor sends a pulse to the traffic signal to change the light.

Passive infrared sensors do not emit any energy of their own, but rather, they detect energy emitted from vehicles and other objects nearby. When a vehicle enters the passive sensor’s field, the sensor detects the change in energy and alerts the traffic signal to the presence of a vehicle so the light can be changed.
Old 09-08-2021, 01:38 PM   #12273

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
^ was leading to that! Traffic autoscope

stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 02:53 PM   #12274

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
I can think of a few like that. Which intersection are you speaking of?
Gilpin and Royal Oak, westbound on Gilpin.

https://goo.gl/maps/Ni3REHbZmDmrYdds5
Old 09-08-2021, 03:10 PM   #12275
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalne...vancouver/amp/
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote