REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-19-2021, 02:01 PM   #12501
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,020 Times in 7,110 Posts
If by the letter of the law, he’s innocent, then the laws are the problem. Remember George Zimmerman was innocent cause a black kid (Trayvon) with skittles was too scary for him, just like a plastic bag and a skateboard was too scary for little Kyle.
When’s someone gonna roll up to some of these antivax rallies waving a gun around and start unloading on people cause they’re scared?
Advertisement
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-19-2021, 02:12 PM   #12502
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,108 Times in 5,002 Posts
USA is a mess... send guys to prison for life for marijuana possession... but another guy can walk home free from killing people in so-called self defense in situations where literally everyone's interpretation of what constitutes danger to themselves varies vastly based both on their predisposition and their personality makeup.

Innocent from the law, but the law needs to change... this just opens the door to all kinds of right (or even far left) wing nutjobs showing up at places to provoke people with guns and then shooting them when they perceive any response that resembles a threat to themselves (hey, if a plastic bag is good enough... simply pointing? Throwing a stick? Kicking a shin?) and raising their hands for the police to arrest them knowing full well they will be acquitted.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-19-2021, 02:53 PM   #12503
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,312 Times in 961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
will bcaa tow no registration?
u need reg.
they won't tow when we tried unless there is a 1 day permit on it.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 03:03 PM   #12504

Thanked 2,312 Times in 961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
1. Fake company "hires" person
2. Fake company sends person fake cheque to "buy" equipment via etransfer to another fake company
3. Person buys equipment by sending etransfer
4. Fake cheque bounces and person is now out the etransfer amount

Scammer benefits because they are both fake companies.
I can chime in on this.
Real story in Vancouver Broadway company.

Personal assistant to the CEO, been there for over a year. A lot of time, the CEO has to do errands and participate in corp events. Buying prizes for charity events etc.

One day, the assistant + AP walked into the CEO's office; "why did you ask me to buy 9k of google gift cards."

Turns out, the company has been getting phishing email from the CEO. The scammer / hacker knew when the CEO is usually on vacation; and knew from previous AP corp threshold were below 9k. This scam has gone on for 7 months and they lost over 210k.

Now the IT guy mandated different password from their MS login as well as other banking passowrds on their corp networks etc and hired ethical hackers to test their systems.

Invited the company to do a seminar with us; and yes we all asked "how stupid can you be"; when you're dealing with personal errands of the CEO, and you are used to seeing 9k purchases, you really don't ask questions.
So seeing these 9k request are not uncommon..
1) please bring in a 6 carat diamond ring to resize for my wife please.
2) i need 50k sent over to ____studio for his entertainment.
3) please fill up my yacht using the corp credit card... It was $31k
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-19-2021, 03:06 PM   #12505

Pretty different than her situation, but definitely shows how easily it would be to fall into if the situation made sense like that.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-19-2021, 04:10 PM   #12506
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,506 Times in 1,688 Posts
I find it ironic that self-defense only applies if you're white.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marissa_Alexander_case

Marissa Alexander was a case where a woman who was a victim of domestic abuse by her husband, fearing for her life, shoots a warning shot to pause her attacker. No one is hurt or affected by the gun shot -- she claims that due to Florida's stand your ground law, she is fully legal to protect herself.

The woman is literally offered a plea deal by prosecution, indicating she had valid grounds for self-defence. She turns down the deal, and is convicted by a jury in the span of 12 minutes, receiving a sentence of 20 years. Eventually the case was relitigated, with her carrying a lifelong felony, and 3 years in prison.

This fucking kid had definitive intent to get himself into an environment of provocation, and yet walks away with zero charges. That's fucking insane.

Make that be known, this sets a VERY dangerous precedent in common law -- one that a person can take advantage of in the future in order to commit violence in the name of "self defense" and "fear".

Fucking America man, there is no depth to their depravity, for that kid to walk away without a single charge on his record is disgusting.

The US carries a dual justice system.

We'll see how that Arbery case goes next...
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-19-2021, 04:28 PM   #12507

1. Run into a crowd waving a gun around
2. have someone try and disarm you
3. shoot them and a guy with a plastic bag
4. get racist judge
5. profit
(only applies if your white)
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 11-19-2021, 04:41 PM   #12508
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
The guys he shot were white too... one had a gun pointed at him, one hut him with a skateboard, and the guy with the bag, his friend fired at rittenhouse with a gun.. But yeah totally
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 05:00 PM   #12509

You can read my other post about that if you like.
And no one fucking fired at Rittenhouse.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-19-2021, 10:41 PM   #12510
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
Guaranteed if someone had shot Rittenhouse in self defense they wouldn't have gotten the same outcome.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2021, 03:47 AM   #12511
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,307 Times in 1,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
If by the letter of the law, he’s innocent, then he’s innocent and you can say justice prevailed. Opinions and feelings shouldn’t come into factor. He’s obviously a peice of shit but if the way the laws are written say he’s innocent, he shouldn’t be found guilty over public opinion.

I didn’t think there was any chance he’d not get convicted of at least 1 charge, I even lost $100 bet over it. Crazy
The issue is that even by the letter of the law, there are varying levels of justice. I don't think it would be unfair that say that white people are afforded more leniency and advantage to the interpretation of laws whereas minorities are not afforded same.

As a result, justice doesn't always prevail.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-21-2021, 01:28 PM   #12512
hoppity HOP HOP

Thanked 1,617 Times in 522 Posts
Does anyone know or recommend any company to replace carport support posts?
Spectre_Cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 08:25 AM   #12513
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
I am in my mid 30's now and my family doctor about 2-3 years ago mentioned, generally people start doing health body checks around my age now. E.g. Blood tests, cholesterol etc. It's always good to take precaution and make health changes before things get too late. Just because I am young and feel fine doesn't necessarily mean body is totally healthy. What do you guys do to keep your body in check? Just go to doctor and request they send you in for tests? (I know some doctors won't send you in unless you are feeling unwell or something is wrong, which I think is stupid).
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2021, 09:18 AM   #12514
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,732 Times in 1,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
I am in my mid 30's now and my family doctor about 2-3 years ago mentioned, generally people start doing health body checks around my age now. E.g. Blood tests, cholesterol etc. It's always good to take precaution and make health changes before things get too late. Just because I am young and feel fine doesn't necessarily mean body is totally healthy. What do you guys do to keep your body in check? Just go to doctor and request they send you in for tests? (I know some doctors won't send you in unless you are feeling unwell or something is wrong, which I think is stupid).
You can request the check IIRC. Heck, my family doc asked me to do a bunch of tests when I went in for annual update with the boys and mentioned to him that I think due to age, I no longer have the same energy level as before.
Old 11-26-2021, 03:44 AM   #12515
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,978 Times in 1,684 Posts
Need new summer tires for next year. Probably the extremecontact sport.
I'm not sure if now's a good time to buy considering it's Black Friday, or just wait.

I bought my last set several years ago from the states and had it shipped to Blaine. But I'm not even entirely sure what the border situation is if it's just crossing to pick up tires.

Where do you guys buy your tires?
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 06:15 AM   #12516

My last set I got from Kal tire. It just came down to a loyalty thing due to my local one in North van getting me out of a huge bind with a hole, and not even charging me for it. Any good local shops are a better choice IMO once you look at mounting and balancing charges and your time it will take for a cross border pickup, taxes, etc.
DHP and TSS are two local shops worth buying from as well. The $100-200 savings for a set from the states isn’t worth the running around for me, but part of that is living in North van. A whole day spent to save that money isn’t even close to worth it, and that was even pre covid.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-26-2021, 06:33 AM   #12517

Thanked 3,927 Times in 1,873 Posts
Last new set of tires I bought was from Discount Tires. They have designated installers in Bellingham, you have it shipped there, you arrange an apt, they mount and balance it for you. Probably same for TireRack. Even when I declared at the border, it was still cheaper than buying here locally ... but caveat, warranty on tires are within US and/or Canada so if anything goes wrong ... you have to get replacement in the US. Sometimes rebates are country specific so if Michelin offers a rebate and you shipped to US, you will need a US address to claim rebate.

There are advantages and disadvantages going to the US ... advantage is $$ ... disadvantage is some hassle if anything goes wrong and you need replacement.

Now I hunt down a good used set locally.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 08:14 AM   #12518
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,978 Times in 1,684 Posts
My last set was from DiscountTire. The rates I found were a lot cheaper than local shops even after conversion. But I was also buying rims too, so it was mounted and balanced as well.

I usually go to TSS for mounting and balancing cause I know they have a touchless machine. Last time I went to Kal Tire, they chipped off the paint on my wheels. I won't go back there again unless I'm just doing oem wheels, but even then, I'll rather just give TSS my business.

I didn't know you can buy tires from TSS directly.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 09:35 AM   #12519

I buy from Costco if possible, then Kal Tire if it's a vehicle that leaves town and I want easy Road Hazard protection, or PMCTire if I don't. PMC will mount/balance for free if you buy rims and tires so it was actually cheaper for me to sell the old set and just buy new rims/tires for my wifes Rav (vs just new tires mounted on the old rims).
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 11-26-2021, 10:03 PM   #12520
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Has anyone tried to mount a TV onto a wall without studs? My wall is pure drywall and google says I can use toggle bolt/anchors but I'm not sure how safe it would be.
xxxrsxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 10:52 PM   #12521

How do you have a wall with no studs? If there's anything at all in the area that will be covered by the TV what I've done if the studs aren't where I need them is mount two 2x4's horizontally using lag bolts into every stud they pass over, and then lag bolt the TV mount to those.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-27-2021, 12:27 AM   #12522
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,212 Times in 1,397 Posts
I think that would depend primarily on the weight of your television and the type of mount.

If it's stationary mounted and flush to the wall (not on an articulating/moving arm) it's probably be ok.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 07:50 AM   #12523

Thanked 3,927 Times in 1,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxrsxxx View Post
Has anyone tried to mount a TV onto a wall without studs? My wall is pure drywall and google says I can use toggle bolt/anchors but I'm not sure how safe it would be.
I wouldn't risk it. What you going to do if it falls ... sue Google search?
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 07:59 AM   #12524
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,239 Times in 5,600 Posts
There has to be some sort of stud or framing inside the wall

I’d mount a peice of plywood that you can attach to some studs etc. that span the gap then install the mount on the plywood
Old 11-27-2021, 12:51 PM   #12525
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,830 Times in 877 Posts
bobbinka is offline   Reply With Quote