REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-05-2023, 11:24 AM   #15226
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 8,825 Times in 3,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Why do I feel like this was badhobz as a kid?

https://www.instagram.com/reel/ClxAQ...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
WHO TOLD YOU!?!?!?!

Advertisement
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2023, 12:22 PM   #15227
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,639 Times in 1,749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
I think Impark and other places like WestPark aren’t enforcing parking anymore like they used to. My downtown building used to have this troll that comes by and hands out tickets. Since I’m too lazy to put up the tag on my Camry, he would occasionally give me a ticket and then I just email them with my tenant code and force them to waive it.

Ever since the pandemic that dude is nowhere to be seen. I think they aren’t hiring those positions anymore or basically downgraded them so much they only a few select lots have enforcement. I’m always curious as to how many people would even pay those tickets as even if it goes to collections people wouldn’t pay.
I think you're right, I notice WAY less enforcement going on in many of the lots downtown and in Burnaby nowadays.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's a lack of employee supply.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 01:45 PM   #15228
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
I think you're right, I notice WAY less enforcement going on in many of the lots downtown and in Burnaby nowadays.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's a lack of employee supply.
Where did they go? or were there massive layoffs?
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 01:51 PM   #15229
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,403 Times in 5,675 Posts
I’m sure it’s like YVR short staffing and everywhere else. No one wants to work a shitty job where you get verbally/physically abused over $20 an hour
Old 01-05-2023, 02:18 PM   #15230
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,385 Times in 3,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Where did they go? or were there massive layoffs?
Layoffs probably especially since so many ppl r working from home they're handing out less tickets
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 02:21 PM   #15231
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,828 Times in 2,512 Posts
don't they just drive around in a little hatchback with 360 cameras running plates and spitting out tickets?

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 02:21 PM   #15232
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,470 Times in 995 Posts
question for you electricians or home reno guys

i have 3 small appliances i want to put in the same place. my coffee grinder, espresso machine, and kettle.

grinder is only 260w, espresso machine 1000w, and kettle 1500w.
i won't be using them at the same time, but just wondering how to best plug these in that would not cause any problems?

to add complexity to it, i want to put the espresso machine on a wifi plug.

so i'd probably put the kettle into one receptacle on its own, then consider maybe putting a 3 plug multi plug into the other receptacle and plugging both the wifi plug and the grinder into that.

will i die? y/n
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 02:26 PM   #15233
private modder

Thanked 2,654 Times in 743 Posts
If it's the big parkade at Beatty and Pender, that's Easypark. The land and building is owned by city of vancouver, so they set the price and enforce the tickets.

The parking companies have lost so much revenue from having no big events for a year or more, plus way less daytime office workers, they are probably attempting to make up the difference now by charging a lot more during evening events in order to stay solvent.

Almost 20 years ago I worked in RE and we owned and leased a building and gave one f the parking lot contracts to Impark.

A few days later some guy from Impark shows up and gives the execs a VIP card that allowed them to park at any Impark lot in North America for free. There were lots of exemptions attached to that card I am sure, but this day I am still jealous they got those.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2023, 02:37 PM   #15234
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,240 Times in 1,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
question for you electricians or home reno guys

i have 3 small appliances i want to put in the same place. my coffee grinder, espresso machine, and kettle.

grinder is only 260w, espresso machine 1000w, and kettle 1500w.
i won't be using them at the same time, but just wondering how to best plug these in that would not cause any problems?

to add complexity to it, i want to put the espresso machine on a wifi plug.

so i'd probably put the kettle into one receptacle on its own, then consider maybe putting a 3 plug multi plug into the other receptacle and plugging both the wifi plug and the grinder into that.

will i die? y/n
Not an electrician. I'm assuming standard two plug outlet?

I'd probably put the kettle on it's own plug, then get an outlet multi-tap adapter and plug the other two into that.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2023, 02:38 PM   #15235
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,619 Times in 5,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
A few days later some guy from Impark shows up and gives the execs a VIP card that allowed them to park at any Impark lot in North America for free. There were lots of exemptions attached to that card I am sure, but this day I am still jealous they got those.

Wow that's some kind of privilege!

Imagine that in a place like, say, New York... I remember trying to park in Manhattan in 2003 and drove into a parkade... was wondeirng why all the cars were Aston Martins and German cars etc... read a sign and it said it was $25usd/hr back THEN

Thank goodness for the 5 minute grace period to gtfo of there... Can't imagine what it is now...........
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 02:46 PM   #15236
SFICC-03*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
Not an electrician. I'm assuming standard two plug outlet?

I'd probably put the kettle on it's own plug, then get an outlet multi-tap adapter and plug the other two into that.
yeah some of these higher wattage items say not to plug them into extensions and that sort of thing, so i just wasnt sure how i felt about plugging it into a wifi plug then into a multi plug, then the wall. it will be used while im still in bed so i dont want to die in my sleep.
Old 01-05-2023, 03:26 PM   #15237

Kitchen counter plugs should be on their own circuit so a grinder and espresso on 1 and the kettle on another should be fine

As long as they aren’t all going at the exact same time should be fine even on the same outlet I’d think
Old 01-05-2023, 03:37 PM   #15238
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,575 Times in 4,335 Posts
You can plug in your appliances no problem - I did that at the old condo. Just don't run all three of them at once. Be mindful of other appliances like toaster oven or microwave running concurrently as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
^PICS DAMNIT!!!! ill eat the pate out of her banhmi anytime.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2023, 04:52 PM   #15239
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,855 Times in 1,785 Posts
Quote:
yeah some of these higher wattage items say not to plug them into extensions and that sort of thing, so i just wasnt sure how i felt about plugging it into a wifi plug then into a multi plug, then the wall. it will be used while im still in bed so i dont want to die in my sleep.
Make sure the Wifi plug is rated for the current draw/wattage.

I bought some wifi plugs a while back and found out the hard way they were only rated for 900w. I used one on my space heater in the greenhouse, and it turns out they were internally fused for 900w. The fuse was not serviceable, and so the thing was basically trash.

Make sure your multi-tap power cord is at least 14awg or better.

I have my 970W toaster, 1500W kettle and 1075W drip coffee machine on a short 3 plug 14awg power bar. (My kitchen receptacle is 20A). They're never all on at the same time either so it's never been an issue. Even when I have run the toaster and kettle at the same time, the toaster isn't on long enough to cook the power bar or trip the breaker.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2023, 04:59 PM   #15240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
If it's the big parkade at Beatty and Pender, that's Easypark. The land and building is owned by city of vancouver, so they set the price and enforce the tickets.

The parking companies have lost so much revenue from having no big events for a year or more, plus way less daytime office workers, they are probably attempting to make up the difference now by charging a lot more during evening events in order to stay solvent.

Almost 20 years ago I worked in RE and we owned and leased a building and gave one f the parking lot contracts to Impark.

Ahh yea you’re right EasyPark. Their apps look the same
Old 01-05-2023, 05:06 PM   #15241

So, I've seen these latest news reports about the shitty conditions at the SRO's. They always show this pictures of the gross washroom conditions like this:

And pointing at the landlords like it's their fault it's that way.

Like I understand if plumbing's not working that should be the landlord's responsibility to fix, but if toilets, sinks and bathtubs looking like biohazard zones seem to be the result of junkies not cleaning after themselves and caring for their living area.

Or is it the landlord's responsibility to clean the washrooms for them?
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2023, 05:09 PM   #15242

Yea that’s how I felt when I saw the news story today.

The guy who lived there giving the interview was walking down the halls and every utility door is double padlocked, the electrical panel had a huge pad lock on it, there’s garbage on the floor in the hallway, and then he goes to the bathroom where the tank of the Toilet had obviously been smashed/stolen, bags of garbage in the bathroom etc.

You guys with free downtown accommodations need a bathroom attendant now?
Old 01-05-2023, 06:32 PM   #15243
in the butt

Thanked 3,252 Times in 1,191 Posts
Quote:
You will be fine.

Extensions are not recommended because people buy the dollar store ones with thin wires. Thin wires + "high" amp pull + long extension = possible fire.

We do ghetto shit at work that's way under code, but that's for like temporary tool power, never had a fire. Think 300ft of 14/2 and a 15A tool lol....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
So, I've seen these latest news reports about the shitty conditions at the SRO's. They always show this pictures of the gross washroom conditions like this:

And pointing at the landlords like it's their fault it's that way.

Like I understand if plumbing's not working that should be the landlord's responsibility to fix, but if toilets, sinks and bathtubs looking like biohazard zones seem to be the result of junkies not cleaning after themselves and caring for their living area.

Or is it the landlord's responsibility to clean the washrooms for them?
News outlets pumping out garbage, because they know 75% of the population will sob and feel bad to get clicks and views

I do repairs in the meth unions, including snaking the shitters and or sewer mains

95% of the issues, are dirty panties, needles and who knows what dumped down the drain.
Stolen "components" for their "gadgets" is very common, toilet mechanics, valve handles, mirrors, literally anything they can rip off.
You should see the kind of art they draw on the walls..... Racism, sexism, kkk stuff, bestiality, I got pics on my phone but that's for internal group chats only lol

If you took that photo, and renod the bathroom to a decent condition, it would be "destroyed" within 48hrs

This applies for many common washrooms, with that being said, some areas are worse and some are actually in great condition

Then there's the topic of in suite washrooms..... Again, it's dependant on who is living there. Some are kept clean, and some are...... Well.... Absolutely disgusting, I'm talking fruit flies, mold, pile of expired food, walls are yellow from smoking? shower used a a recycler for beer cans, literally anything you can think of

This is not a landlord issue, it's a user issue

Icing on the cherry is that some of these SROs are in False Creek / Mt Pleasant area, you can't even tell it's an SRO from driving by

I feel for the people that got unlucky, disabled, or time and place did not work out for them. They are truly trying to move up in life and this is their stepping stone.
But for the other half smoking meth, breaking into cars, multi ambulance call outs for the same person in 8hrs, and draining society, I could care less

/Rant

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2023, 06:52 PM   #15244
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,052 Times in 1,929 Posts
Modular housing is not bad. What I think this illustrates is that some of the individuals who live in tents don't have the capacity/etiquette/life skills to live independently even if you give them decent housing.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 07:05 AM   #15245
SFICC-03*

Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
You will be fine.

Extensions are not recommended because people buy the dollar store ones with thin wires. Thin wires + "high" amp pull + long extension = possible fire.

We do ghetto shit at work that's way under code, but that's for like temporary tool power, never had a fire. Think 300ft of 14/2 and a 15A tool lol....
oh yeah i would just be using something like this with no extension.

https://www.realcanadiansuperstore.c...tle/p/SP360503
Old 01-06-2023, 07:12 AM   #15246

That should work fine, my only issue with those things is when you plug in 3 heavy power cords the only thing supporting it all is the tension of the wall receptacle on the splitter's plug prongs, and they can get a little loosey goosey which can lead to bad/arcing connection (especially if the wall receptacle is a little worn out).

I like these ones a little better because they screw into the receptacle and are way more secure:

https://www.amazon.ca/GE-54946-6-Gro...27&sr=8-5&th=1
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 01-06-2023, 07:25 AM   #15247
SFICC-03*

if i put all 3 appliances into that then would it work so the top 3 are connected to the top receptacle and the bottom 3 on the bottom one? since like honda said, kitchen plugs are usually on separate circuits, would the kettle on one row and the smartplug and grinder on the other row be the way to do it?
Old 01-06-2023, 07:42 AM   #15248

*each separate outlet should be on a separate circuit, so like the one double wall plug is on its own, not the top/bottom of the same outlet

That’s also presuming it’s up to that standard
Old 01-06-2023, 07:49 AM   #15249

IF your receptacles are in fact wired for split-circuit, then yes that's correct.

The electrical code changed in 2018 and it's now more common that kitchen counter receptacles are fed from a single 20A circuit (You can tell this if your receptacle is a T-slot style)

Either way you'll be fine.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 01-06-2023, 07:51 AM   #15250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
*each separate outlet should be on a separate circuit, so like the one double wall plug is on its own, not the top/bottom of the same outlet

That’s also presuming it’s up to that standard
Per code you can have up to two kitchen outlets on one 20A Single pole breaker, or one 15A 2-pole breaker (Split circuit)
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

This post thanked by: