REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-27-2023, 05:02 PM   #18326
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,240 Times in 1,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
2? Are you sure it's only 2? FML I've had to interview over 100 ppl in the last 6 years and there's way more than 2 that are useless.
The kicker is when you get an application for an entry level position and the person isn't even currently in Canada, does not have a valid work permit, and doesn't even have the right qualifications for the job.

Advertisement
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 05:46 PM   #18327
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,637 Times in 1,747 Posts
I wanna prefix my post wasn't attacking white guys or anything, I'm half white myself.

I just get tired of this new rightwing schtick nowadays of bemoaning how shitty it is being a white dude, I'll play you the smallest violin with my middle finger on that one.

You travel most places in the world, trust me, being white is right, you wouldn't want to be anything else outside of that. If power means anything, whites very much are leading that by a wide margin.

Are certain companies trying to hire more minorities as opposed to the standard, previously? Sure. Is it always fair? Probably not. Was it fair before? Fuck no.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-27-2023, 05:48 PM   #18328
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,198 Times in 7,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Depends where you work.

For large business, it’s a very fine balance. You want diversity hires because in the long run you may attract the top tier applicant because of that diversity.

On the flip side, when you intentionally hire diversity to fill a quota over the best candidate, you just create all sorts of problems internally.

I’ve seen both and the latter generally turns out very ugly.
I think that's what separates good managers, CEOs, etc from the others. You can be smart enough to understand that the better candidate has less qualifications due to some type of lack of opportunity, or the worse candidate has better qualifications due to excess opportunity and connections.
I don't think someone should get a free pass because they are a minority, but I do think that people in positions of power, may look a little closer at the details, if they are smart.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-27-2023, 05:53 PM   #18329
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,828 Times in 2,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
You dunce,
gordon ramsey came to mind when i read this

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 06:18 PM   #18330
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,828 Times in 2,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
University "degrees" from 2 particular countries that have a lot of people immigrating to Canada are often totally useless. I've dealt with people like that in the past as well, and I'd say the amount of relevant technical knowledge they have for the position they are in is practically zero. I'd roughly put them equivalent to what an average local highschool grad would know, which is practically nothing, but then you wouldn't be having the highschool grad working in that position / in that capacity.
often i find they are extremely academically smart but if you put an actual problem and have the try to sort it out, don't have the critical thinking skills or proper decision making skills... but if you have them write an engineering exam sure they can pass the theory course no problem. either that or they parrot scenarios put in front of them, change it up a bit (i.e. real world shit) and it's lost in space

Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
On topic of useless / questionable people at companies

We sub contract alot of trades, the best of the best:
thx for this, at least now i know it's not the universe having it in just for me

the industry ain't getting better either

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 07:30 PM   #18331
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,317 Times in 2,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
2? Are you sure it's only 2? FML I've had to interview over 100 ppl in the last 6 years and there's way more than 2 that are useless.
No no, I mean candidates with degrees from 2 particular countries stand out a lot more than others in terms of having the university degree, but show very little aptitude or technical knowledge that they should have learned while they were in university. So I get skeptical when I see candidates having degrees from those countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
The kicker is when you get an application for an entry level position and the person isn't even currently in Canada, does not have a valid work permit, and doesn't even have the right qualifications for the job.
My wife's workplace somehow gets a lot of that when they put up job postings, and I used to think it was pretty odd. But it always happens when they are looking to hire, so I don't even find that surprising anymore. (But they are really only looking for local people.)
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 08:47 PM   #18332
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 8,822 Times in 3,179 Posts
this is why its not a race or sex issue for me. I blatantly hate everyone, regardless of color, sex, or orientation. Especially you fucking kids born past year 2000. GOD I HATE YOU

Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 08:55 PM   #18333
in the butt

Thanked 3,247 Times in 1,190 Posts
Quote:

Lol I've done this for Miami, NZ, and Australia

The companies from Miami would call me, asking when I can start.
Then I proceed to ask them if they even read the first line of the application, where it says I'm in Canada. Then they proceed to say "oh your not in Miami?, sorry this will not work"

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 10:07 PM   #18334
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,043 Posts
Quote:

Those come in even when the posting specifically says if you are legal to work in Canada, will not sponsor work permit.

herpderp sponsor me plz kthxbye

EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-27-2023, 10:10 PM   #18335
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
No no, I mean candidates with degrees from 2 particular countries stand out a lot more than others in terms of having the university degree, but show very little aptitude or technical knowledge that they should have learned while they were in university. So I get skeptical when I see candidates having degrees from those countries.

My wife's workplace somehow gets a lot of that when they put up job postings, and I used to think it was pretty odd. But it always happens when they are looking to hire, so I don't even find that surprising anymore. (But they are really only looking for local people.)
That's what I'm saying, there's more than two, I would probably put two more on that list with a >50% chance they have a degree and doesn't demonstrate even a lick of understanding of what they should have studied.

One of those countries even have a well known institute where you can pay some money and get a diploma.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2023, 09:48 AM   #18336
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,507 Times in 1,700 Posts
...Interesting. One of my favorite rappers of all time. California Love for Tupac.

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2023/0...-in-las-vegas/

Police make arrest in 1996 shooting of rap legend Tupac Shakur

Las Vegas police have arrested a man in the deadly 1996 drive-by shooting of Tupac Shakur, a long-awaited break in a case that has frustrated investigators and fascinated the public ever since the hip-hop icon was gunned down on the Las Vegas Strip 27 years ago.

Duane “Keffe D” Davis was arrested early Friday morning, although the exact charge or charges were not immediately clear, according to two officials with first-hand knowledge of the arrest.

They were not authorized to speak publicly ahead of an expected indictment later Friday.

Davis has long been known to investigators and has himself admitted in interviews and in his 2019 tell-all memoir, “Compton Street Legend,” that he was in the Cadillac where the gunfire erupted during the September 1996 drive-by shooting. Shakur was 25 when he was gunned down.

The arrest comes two months after Las Vegas police raided his wife’s home on July 17 in neighbouring Henderson. Documents said police were looking for items “concerning the murder of Tupac Shakur.”

Police reported collecting multiple computers, a cellphone and hard drive, a Vibe magazine that featured Shakur, several .40-caliber bullets, two “tubs containing photographs” and a copy of Davis’ 2019 tell-all memoir, “Compton Street Legend.”

Last edited by pastarocket; 09-29-2023 at 09:54 AM.
pastarocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 02:47 PM   #18337
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,123 Times in 982 Posts
Keffe D was an accessory to Pacs murder, his nephew Orlando Anderson(deceased) was believed to be the one who pulled the trigger after he was punched by Tupac after leaving the Mike Tyson fight.
Old 09-29-2023, 03:11 PM   #18338
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,050 Times in 1,927 Posts
This story is really really strange.

Dr. Tracy Pickett, expert witness (Emergency doc and forensic doc) for that high profile Burnaby murder case of a young teenage girl, suspect Ibrahim Ali. Dr. Pickett went missing and then found dead a day or two later. Then they released information, "Pickett’s death does not appear to be the result of a crime and there is no public safety risk." = suicide.

Sad and tragic. You can only guess what happened.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vanc...ett-found-dead
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2023, 04:03 PM   #18339

Fuck that's so sad. My friend is a forensic analyst for the RCMP. He's always been a very dark guy and been through many tragedies in his life. I guess it may have helped him get hardened. He's seen the evidence of some absolutely appalling things that normal people never have to think about.
On the topic of that, for a country that is so vocal about putting mental health at the forefront, they sure won't ever use the word suicide when it happens.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2023, 04:11 PM   #18340
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 4,739 Times in 816 Posts
right. suicide.
Old 09-29-2023, 05:43 PM   #18341

Thanked 4,855 Times in 1,785 Posts
Jesus.

The worst is when you don't actually see any signs of anything wrong.

I've had two co-workers commit suicide over the 16 years I've worked at my company.

In both cases I think it was divorce, child custody, etc. issues. Both were otherwise good guys (at least in my dealings with them), and didn't present ANY signs of their stress.

I will say (and this probably is well known and goes without saying) our system really fucks over fathers in those sort of things.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2023, 06:00 PM   #18342
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,048 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I wish I could show you guys the national program call I was on this morning... just constant facepalm, awkward moments and complete idiocy. People low on the totem pole leaving their cameras on, people coming on cam to make jokes with no audio or forgetting to unmute and then forgetting to mute while eating chips... people explaining every detail of their work barely taking a breath for 10 solid minutes before cutting themselves off trying to share a screen... a guy in Newfoundland talking and nobody could understand a word he said... Half the people talking or answering in French so nobody else can understand what they're saying....

What a fuckin gongshow.
Holy fuck do you work for Dollarama or some shit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2023, 06:08 PM   #18343
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,048 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Jesus.

The worst is when you don't actually see any signs of anything wrong.

I've had two co-workers commit suicide over the 16 years I've worked at my company.

In both cases I think it was divorce, child custody, etc. issues. Both were otherwise good guys (at least in my dealings with them), and didn't present ANY signs of their stress.

I will say (and this probably is well known and goes without saying) our system really fucks over fathers in those sort of things.
The system is super fucked. I know people facing child support payments that are literally obscene compared to their incomes. Stay at home moms making as much or more dough than the guys earning it WHILE SPLITTING CUSTODY.

Unless I’m being fed a line of BS I don’t know how these guys do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2023, 06:21 PM   #18344

For every guy paying way too much child support there's 5 not paying anything. The shittiest part is the people that are trying to be good fathers or parents are getting fucked while the deadbeats get out of every responsibility.
I've lost 2 life long friends to suicide in the last 3 years, probably 10 friends, and a close family member outside of that. All men. It's not talked about openly enough. It's one of the biggest problems facing the RS demographic there is actually.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2023, 06:42 PM   #18345

In these guys' cases I think it was less about the money and more about that their access to the kid got all but taken away. It's horrible when the kid is used as some sort of tool of vindictiveness by the ex.

"My kid has been taken away, what's the point of living anymore?"

I know a two couples that have done the whole divorce with kids thing very well. They were able to keep things amicable, "court assigned" custody was a never a thing, they just made it work. The common theme is that "While we don't love each other anymore, the kid still deserves equal parts mother and father" These people have my respect. This is how it should be.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2023, 06:46 PM   #18346
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,254 Times in 1,228 Posts
You always hear of the crazy divorce stories and how bad men get fucked over but I never have really looked into the rules to see if what I've heard is true. What I do know from seeing friends go through a divorce is that women can be fucking evil when it comes to using their children as a pawn to hurt their ex as much as possible. It doesn't surprise me dudes end up getting super depressed and killing themselves.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 07:12 PM   #18347

It's not just women, but yeah, anyone who uses their kids as a pawn is a sick fucking piece of shit. I have a couple friends who co parented after a divorce, and they never uttered a negative word in front of their kids about the other, even though there was animosity between them and their former partner.
My mom never saw a penny from my father, and he never so much as called to see how I was doing my whole life. It was his brother that always checked in on me with my mom and he actually ended up cutting my dad out of his life as well he was so disgusted by his lack of concern for his own kid. I have a lot of respect for my mother for never putting blame on him. I was allowed to make my own opinions on the matter.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2023, 09:11 PM   #18348
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,846 Times in 8,208 Posts
Has it gotten to the point yet where it's cheap and easy to set up a solar panel and battery ourselves? Like there must be someone selling foldable panels that you just throw onto the roof and run a cable to a battery, right?

I'd like to just have enough to power the AC in my office that's on the entire day when I'm home. Try to use that sun that's nuking my room to at least pay for itself a bit.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 09:57 PM   #18349

I bought an Ecoflow Delta2 solar generator kit for my recent off grid camping trip in August. $2000, for 1kWh power station and 220w foldable bi-facial solar panel. https://ca.ecoflow.com/products/delt...42319446442138

I'm super happy with it. Enough to power my cpap overnight for (30W for 8-9 hours), then make coffee in the morning (~900w for 15 minutes), then charge the RV batteries for a couple hours, and then I'd throw it out in the sun and charge back up to 100% in about 5 hours.

It was nice not being one of those "noisy generator" campers, firing them up at 9am to run their coffee makers.

Enough to power an AC unit all day? Well... You're going to need a really big power station and a several of those foldable panels, it ain't going to be cheap.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2023, 10:08 PM   #18350
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,846 Times in 8,208 Posts
Yeah that's what I was worried about.. It's just not to the point where it's just something cheap anyone can go get and put up on their roof, and take the panels inside when there's a storm.

If it could power the AC for a whole day or even some of it, it would be worth it. Power bills are like $250 per month during the summer, so just a couple summers it would pay for itself.

Edit this thing generates 3 kWh daily, which is $0.55 USD of energy per day... Good for camping I'm sure but not quite there yet for my needs lol
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote