REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:22 PM   #76
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

This explains ALOT Occupy Vancouver answers "Where does money come from?" - YouTube
Advertisement
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:15 AM   #77
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazynuck View Post
I thought I would add this to forum as this guy is running for mayor and is a part of the occupy group.

I really liked this comment from the original news source

The "poor"

And just who does he consider to be the "poor"? The able-bodied guys who are wearing North Face jackets, using their iPhone4, drinking the $4 Starbucks grande cafe mochas and protesting at the Occupy Vancouver site at the VAG? People have a choice.

I have to say if I were mayor I would raise the price of public transit at least by 10%
I was there last Saturday when he spoke to the crowd. At first, they cheered for him since he said all the standard "We're poor, give us money." bullshit but soon afterwards, people were laughing at him because he went off on crazy ass rants and could barely put together coherent sentences. I looked around and even the hippiest of hippies were telling him to hurry and shut up since he was running long on his allotted five minutes.

For those of you who can't read entire sentences...

When he talked at Occupy Vancouver...if you were to look at the crowd's faces, you'd literally see them change like this:

While I sat at the corner of the stage all and while the sax guy continued to spew garbage out of his pie hole.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:23 AM   #78
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoh View Post
For One Day...We Shut The System Down! - YouTube

Description
Spoiler!

This won't happen. Everyone had a smartphone at Occupy Vancouver and Twitter is one of the main communication options for them. They won't be able to stay away for a whole day.

I don't know why they'd bother. Are they seriously thinking that they'll even make a blip on the economy with this? No one will even notice.

But I'm hoping they do. More bandwidth for us!

I'm going to turn on extra lights that day and see if they continue to get pissed at me on Twitter.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:56 AM   #79
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
At this stage, what's the point of the tent city? All that it's doing is letting homeless people set up shop under the guise of the Occupy movement, mixed in with hippies with nothing better to do. Most of the hipsters have gone back to UBC to work on their 7th-year arts degrees while sipping on 5 dollar lattes, and the blue-collar workers (ie. the REAL 99%), are busy working.

While I respected the sentiment of the initial rally, there's nothing symbolic or sympathetic to Occupy Wall Street left here. Now it's just a cluster of dumbasses thinking they're sticking it to the man with their "action".
Old 10-24-2011, 08:33 AM   #80
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Honestly, Vancouver has some problems. Cost of living is high, wages run low. Blah blah blah, its been covered.

Occupy Vancouver for me was never going to run as true as Occupy Wall Street.

The US is fucked.

Yes, everyone likes to point out that there are iphones in the crowd and such, which is really starting to piss me off, but here are the systemic problems they face:

The debt is massive. Fucking huge.
They are de-valuing the dollar. Basically, the only way to manage the debt.
Unemployment is high-a lot higher than the 9% claimed.
Income disparity is high and increasing

And most of all, their political process is fracturing.

Whether these people have an iphone in their pocket or not, there is a reason to be pissed if you are american.

Yeah, the crowds are smallish now, but they will grow. Without:

1. massive upswing in growth
2. swing towards moderate center politically
3. mass employment

Eventually, inflation will rise and that will turn people against the system, when you watch the monetary value of your life's work erode. It's happening now, at record low interest rates, yeah, its cheap to borrow but difficult to save.

Think about Nixon instituting price controls at a 4% level of inflation. Only 4%(I'm not sure if the calculation is done the same today, probably not)

Anyway, I don't want to veer off topic, as this one is about Vancouver, but my point is, right now the protesters are going to represent a more fringe element in Vancouver because our unemployment is a little lower, and for the most part, we were not exposed to the harshest elements of the recession.

If the economy double dips, wait for continued trouble. If, and I believe when, and plan for that possibility, the economy double dips, we will already be at deficit spending, record low interest and there will be very few tools available for stimulating the economy.

The trouble started in 2000, and right now all the US have done since then is try to get back to a bubble economy. Open any news site, and you will find an article predicting the next bubble. College bubble? Gold is a hot one.

Trust me when I say that, although I don't see the doom and gloom that some are predicting to pimp their books and tapes, I think its reasonable to see higher inflation, and that will cause issues.

I would much rather take a look at some of these things now, at the fringe level, than when shit really gets going.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-24-2011, 10:37 AM   #81
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Yes, everyone likes to point out that there are iphones in the crowd and such, which is really starting to piss me off
It pisses me off too that these hypocrites are protesting.

Quote:
Whether these people have an iphone in their pocket or not, there is a reason to be pissed if you are american.
If they have an iPhone in your pocket they are part of the problem, not the solution.

Quote:
Eventually, inflation will rise and that will turn people against the system, when you watch the monetary value of your life's work erode. It's happening now, at record low interest rates, yeah, its cheap to borrow but difficult to save.
You have it backwards.

The US is not an African country with rampant inflation due to external factors, inflation is very much internal to the US. If inflation rises its cause the economy heated up, which means jobs are being created and interest rates will rise.

Idiots have been speculating hyper-inflation for years and it has not materialized. Instead deflation has occurred, which helps savers and increases buying power. In 2009 it seemed like every store had a 50% off sale to attract customers, so as a good saver I went on a spending spree cause my money suddenly bought a lot more.

Quote:
If the economy double dips, wait for continued trouble. If, and I believe when, and plan for that possibility, the economy double dips, we will already be at deficit spending, record low interest and there will be very few tools available for stimulating the economy.
Hopefully there will be no tools available, as the tools are part of the problem. Government should set policy, not be in business. Let the market set interest rates, and don't let the government borrow beyond its means.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:43 AM   #82
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Zimmerman isn't exactly new to the political scene. "In the 2005 civic election, I narrowly lost to Sam Sullivan by about 50,000 votes."

SULLIVAN, Sam - 61543 Votes
ZIMMERMAN, Darrell - 283 Votes

InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-24-2011, 07:56 PM   #83
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Quote:
I would much rather take a look at some of these things now, at the fringe level, than when shit really gets going.
Yes, but you and I both know it is not going to happen. The US and our governments are structured to get immediate short term benefits at the expense of long term stability as whatever happens later is someone else's problem. Government, as they are right now, will never fix anything. All they do is patch the problem and hope it doesn't fall apart until their term is over

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-24-2011, 09:24 PM   #84
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazynuck View Post
I thought I would add this to forum as this guy is running for mayor and is a part of the occupy group.

I really liked this comment from the original news source

The "poor"

And just who does he consider to be the "poor"? The able-bodied guys who are wearing North Face jackets, using their iPhone4, drinking the $4 Starbucks grande cafe mochas and protesting at the Occupy Vancouver site at the VAG? People have a choice.

I have to say if I were mayor I would raise the price of public transit at least by 10%
He's gonna get about 20 votes from his friends and his band. 50,000 other people will vote for someone who knows what the fuck taxes are for. Free transit eh? Ok, lets raise that tax bar upto 40% then! Live just like those merry old belgiums!
Everymans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:13 PM   #85
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
I was there last Saturday when he spoke to the crowd. At first, they cheered for him since he said all the standard "We're poor, give us money." bullshit but soon afterwards, people were laughing at him because he went off on crazy ass rants and could barely put together coherent sentences. I looked around and even the hippiest of hippies were telling him to hurry and shut up since he was running long on his allotted five minutes.

For those of you who can't read entire sentences...

When he talked at Occupy Vancouver...if you were to look at the crowd's faces, you'd literally see them change like this:

While I sat at the corner of the stage all and while the sax guy continued to spew garbage out of his pie hole.

Thanks for the perspective from being there (in text and art )

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post

SULLIVAN, Sam - 61543 Votes
ZIMMERMAN, Darrell - 283 Votes

ahahha i thought he had at least 1000....I thought it was the stupidest reason to have as your campaign backing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everymans View Post
He's gonna get about 20 votes from his friends and his band. 50,000 other people will vote for someone who knows what the fuck taxes are for. Free transit eh? Ok, lets raise that tax bar upto 40% then! Live just like those merry old belgiums!
It reasons like him that I believe the occupy whatever losses some creditability
krazynuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:23 AM   #86
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
It pisses me off too that these hypocrites are protesting.

If they have an iPhone in your pocket they are part of the problem, not the solution.

You have it backwards.

The US is not an African country with rampant inflation due to external factors, inflation is very much internal to the US. If inflation rises its cause the economy heated up, which means jobs are being created and interest rates will rise.

Idiots have been speculating hyper-inflation for years and it has not materialized. Instead deflation has occurred, which helps savers and increases buying power. In 2009 it seemed like every store had a 50% off sale to attract customers, so as a good saver I went on a spending spree cause my money suddenly bought a lot more.

Hopefully there will be no tools available, as the tools are part of the problem. Government should set policy, not be in business. Let the market set interest rates, and don't let the government borrow beyond its means.
Yes, I am aware that Zimbabwe and the US(an Can) have little in common, but in our lifetimes, we had inflation in the 10-12% range, even higher I think, but I'm too lazy to look it up. And that was not caused by the economy heating up, in fact, it was the opposite.

You cannot dump 1 trillion dollars into the economy without it having an effect on said economy. Obviously, thats the point. One, they hope that it will inspire growth(or heat up the economy) and two, it will cause inflation. If the economy doesn't grow, then we could be left with the inflation.

So I don't see how I'm wrong here.

In fact, I don't see why we are picking every word I say apart. I have never said that I'm with the protesters, I haven't gone downtown and I don't have a witty sign on a piece of cardboard.

All I have ever said is I understand why some people would be pissed off.

Have you never questioned the things that YOUR government has done on your behalf?

Hell, the largest failure of the banking system since the great depression occurs, causing unprecedented actions, and nothing...

NO real regulatory changes.
NO heads rolled.

And we heard "too big to fail" which resulted in the surviving banks becoming bigger.

Sorry-HUGE regulatory reform-they passed a credit card bill that did noting to change credit cards. Everything needs to be clearly stated on the bill. Ok. Ouch, that hurt and could not have been solved with a clever ad campaign.

And you said it yourself-there should be no tools left. Set policy.

Since 2008 specifically, and far before that, they have done far more. We own a fucking car company. Our government owns a fucking car company. The shitty one, ps.

Yeah, they are hipsters and you can pick out a few that are fun to mock on video, but at least they have gotten us talking about this shit.

And that earns them a little respect in my book. Even if they have an iphone.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:01 AM   #87
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

This is what needs to happen. Notice how main stream media doesn't cover what happened to iceland? Think there might be a reason for that?
What Mainstream Media doesn’t want you to know: Iceland “beat the EU in ‘sovereignty’ loss” « The Big Green Lie

HOW TO BEAT THE GLOBALISTS: THE LESSONS EGYPTIANS CAN LEARN FROM THE STUTTGART 21 PROTESTS « Case About Bird Flu
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:18 PM   #88
...in the world.

Have you guys seen the "demands" from Occupy Vancouver? Among the things they want...

- maximum wage (as opposed to minimum wage) of $1 million dollars
- no income tax for those below the living wage
- all drugs available from a pharmacy...including cocaine and heroin.

Add that to the number of Zeigeist and 9/11 conspiracy theorists there and now I have no doubt that these people are wackos.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:58 PM   #89
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Quote:
Have you guys seen the "demands" from Occupy Vancouver? Among the things they want...

Add that to the number of Zeigeist and 9/11 conspiracy theorists there and now I have no doubt that these people are wackos.
Those are pretty good ideas.
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:25 PM   #90
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:

Two words: um, wtf?
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:27 PM   #91
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
Quote:

lol

hippies
Old 10-26-2011, 06:57 AM   #92
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Quote:

Old 10-26-2011, 09:11 PM   #93
...in the world.

List removed from the site. Looks like they realized they were idiotic.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:14 PM   #94
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Some of the things protesters are asking for are not really essential, like condoms, walkie-talkies and dedicated Internet for the entire occupation.

fuking idiots
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:32 PM   #95
RS controls my life!

I once listened to a guy tell me that Heroin should be legalized because people have a right to chose if they should do it or not.... That guy is now camping in front of the VAG.
Everymans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:09 AM   #96
Blood tests positive for LOL mod

Thanked 1,263 Times in 325 Posts
occupyVancouver is doing it wrong, they are fucking tarnishing the reputation of what the real motive is behind this!! fucking twats!

artofstance
Buy/Sell Rating
Proud member of G.R.A.P.E -- Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts
Mananetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:25 AM   #97
Corny FTW!! MOD

Sums up what I think. People need to STFU.

Sponsored by:
Soundsgood

For all your car audio needs!
#3-910 Tupper Avenue
Coquitlam, BC V3K 1A5
Shop: 604-961-8626
www.soundsgoodauto.com

Hours of Operation: Tuesday through Saturday, 9:00 to 6:00
FeistyBearH22a is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-29-2011, 01:10 PM   #98
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

teddyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:10 PM   #99
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Not Vancouver but this quote is the hilarity

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2209898/

“It’s weird protesting on Bay Street. You get there at 9 a.m. and the rich bankers who you want to hurl insults at and change their worldview have been at work for two hours already. And then when it's time to go, they're still there. I guess that's why they call them the one per cent. I mean, who wants to work those kinds of hours? That's the power of greed.” – Jeremy, 38

Can anyone see this guy's POV?
minoru_tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:14 PM   #100
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
in the 1980's, unemployment and economy was worse than it is today in U.S. Really people, 99% of the tards don't have goals in life

Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: