REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #23326
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fcukedd View Post
Hey for those who's currently or went on Wendler's 5/3/1, did you ever go heavy on assistance exercises? My dumbbell flat bench is literally skyrocketing, and I'm afraid I won't be able to handle the weight I'm doing now in the long run. My ego is strong
If the assistance is still the same as the main movement, I found that it actually helped. If it's different though, I found it counterproductive to go heavy.

Eg I'd finish my bench set and head straight to heavy dumbbells. The following week my bench strength would stay the same or weaken. Just what I've found, feel free to experiment!
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-02-2013, 11:02 PM   #23327
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I think my back is almost 100%. It felt like it has been a few months, but it was just a few weeks that passed. Hoping to make my return next week.
Lesson learned, form is crucial.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:47 PM   #23328
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,605 Times in 536 Posts
Quote:
Hey for those who's currently or went on Wendler's 5/3/1, did you ever go heavy on assistance exercises? My dumbbell flat bench is literally skyrocketing, and I'm afraid I won't be able to handle the weight I'm doing now in the long run. My ego is strong
I found the workouts on 5/3/1 were too easy so i went heavy on all assistance work and did more exercises than that was asked.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:20 AM   #23329
I LOVE SQWAT

Quote:
Haha I'm guilty of letting my ego get in the way too.

I find it best when I use a weight that is light enough where I don't need more than 1-2 min breaks in between sets. If I need 3-4 min breaks, or if I'm not getting 10-12 reps, I know I'm going to heavy for me.
red_sir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-03-2013, 08:12 AM   #23330
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by see.lai View Post
I think my back is almost 100%. It felt like it has been a few months, but it was just a few weeks that passed. Hoping to make my return next week.
Lesson learned, form is crucial.
not to mention, core work is ALSO very crucial

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:16 AM   #23331
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
not to mention, core work is ALSO very crucial
What's core ?
Posted via RS Mobile
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #23332
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by broken_arrow View Post
Nice! What position? I played for the St. Michael's Kerry Blues, UCC Blues, Toronto Thunder and University of Toronto Varsity Blues. What about you? I was an offensive guard and nose tackle.
played for hugh boyd in richmond, linebacker and running back. down to play in a flag league in the summer?

Quote:
i go pretty heavy but less volume. will try to get at least 2x10 then a heavy set. for example for close grip ill go 185x10, 205x10 then 225 for like 5-7
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #23333
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
from Layne Norton's FB the other tday

"Wow, hit 555 for 9 tonight on squat. I gotta stop overtraining and one day maybe I can get good at this weightlifting thing."
Old 01-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #23334
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,390 Times in 586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by strykn View Post
hey phuk u dolan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinsentoW View Post
Dat roid rage
JDął is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #23335

Thanked 2,051 Times in 676 Posts
Thanks for the input on the 5/3/1. I know this might not sound like a good idea, but would it be stupid to completely disregard the program on bench days, and do my own thing and follow the routine for everything else?

I'll probably stick with the program, but I feel like what I'm doing right now is working so well..it seems unreasonable to switch to something else.
Fcukedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #23336
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
First day back to gym for my upper body since my injury , hope 1.5 months was enough..

Can't go too hard , do not want to hurt myself again.
Posted via RS Mobile
knight604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #23337
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Serious question, but do any of you guys deal with bi-polar disorder?
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #23338
I LOVE SQWAT

Quote:
Thanks for the input on the 5/3/1. I know this might not sound like a good idea, but would it be stupid to completely disregard the program on bench days, and do my own thing and follow the routine for everything else?

I'll probably stick with the program, but I feel like what I'm doing right now is working so well..it seems unreasonable to switch to something else.
If what you're doing now is working well, it would be crazy to change anything!

Absolutely nothing wrong with doing what you're doing for bench, and 5/3/1 for the other 3 lifts.
red_sir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #23339
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowjin View Post
Nope
Just get jacked Brah
Posted via RS Mobile
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #23340
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal0g0dv2 View Post
Nope
Just get jacked Brah
Posted via RS Mobile
rspct the srs tag
Old 01-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #23341
J.C

Thanked 2,790 Times in 592 Posts
315 squat is within my reach
J.C is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #23342
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
It's all about staying consistent with things, setting long-term goals, and keeping those goals within reach. It's when people stray off path, and look for the short-term goals and lust for immediate satisfaction, that they find themselves confused and often depressed because their goals are no longer clear to them.

I don't really know you enough to know what your goals are, but we all have goals, and when you religiously plan and execute your actions towards those goals 100% of the time, you'll gain a better sense of competence/security for yourself, and acknowledgement from the people you surround yourself with.

This is off an excerpt I read off of some thread, but its "easier to commit to things 100% of the time than 98% of the time".

This means commiting yourself to the gym 100%, getting every single rep, set, and exercise done before you head home- not giving a single fuck about anything else going on that could lead you to do otherwise. Because that moment you give yourself an excuse not to go to the gym (relationship problems, lost a wallet, unemployed, etc) and you skip out on a session, it's a chain reaction and you start skipping out on gym days more and more.

It might seem like a ritualistic thing to do, but when you commit to yourself, your goals, and the things you believe in, your mood will stabilize, and you'll feel like you're in control.

Being able to restructure and reframe the way you think is something that can go a long ways for you. It's something that will help improve your life in a matter of months, that pills wouldn't be able to do for you in years if at all.

Hope the bipolar thing settles down for you man. Nothing's worse than seeing guys plummet from success because of depression/bipolar disorder.

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #23343
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
i go pretty heavy but less volume. will try to get at least 2x10 then a heavy set. for example for close grip ill go 185x10, 205x10 then 225 for like 5-7
do you guys ever get wrist pain when closegrip benching heavier weights? i think my problem might be gripping too close or possibly having my wrists roll back without realizing
Posted via RS Mobile
PK6o4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:18 PM   #23344
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK6o4* View Post
do you guys ever get wrist pain when closegrip benching heavier weights? i think my problem might be gripping too close or possibly having my wrists roll back without realizing
Posted via RS Mobile

Use a wider grip for close grip bench. Your grip doesn't need to be super close to get tricep activation. It's really easy for the wrists to roll back when benching heavy, I'm guilty of that too. Try to keep your wrists a bit straighter and locked. I find wrist wraps helpful.
GFitTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #23345

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Posted via RS Mobile

got videos?

never get wrist pains, but my wrists are pretty tank from front squatting lol
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #23346
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,360 Times in 315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
played for hugh boyd in richmond, linebacker and running back. down to play in a flag league in the summer?
Definitely interested! Please let me know the details!

On the other note, I HATE January. Everybody has only one resolution => "get in shape this year". So many people in Bird Coop I felt claustrophobic. People walking so damn close to me when I was benching its ridiculous! BUT the best was this:

Guy doing chest stretches INSIDE the only available squat-rack.

Me: Are you using this (squat-rack)
Him: I'm just doing some stretching
Me: Could I use this for SQUATS?
Him: Oh yeah, once I'm done stretching...

Fucking idiot completely missed my point or was just being a dick.
broken_arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #23347
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 3,267 Times in 547 Posts
Quote:
Posted via RS Mobile
if you can imagine the bars at guildford where it has two rings on either side, i put my pinkies on the inner rings.
Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #23348
iceboy & saucywoman are my parents!

Thanked 1,770 Times in 445 Posts
been a while since ive done 5x5 with deadlifts...

forgot how hard it used to be lol
[23-07, 02:53] LSF22 the guy who i just saw had like 5 or 6 cars on his lawn needs a ride

[07-10, 15:42] nabs tbails14 = the legend continues

[27-10, 19:44] slickrick (to ts14) NO NOT THE EXHAUST

[07-10, 22:42] Ri2 If I had a real one I'd fap til it turns blue probably

[05-01, 16:24] Geoc ts you're a never ending inspiration for the inner buddy guy in all of us
ts14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #23349

Thanked 1,605 Times in 536 Posts
First day back at the gym since getting the flu. Gym was packed as hell. Calling out fcukkkked. I think you were the guy squatting next to me. I couldn't tell. All you asians look alike.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #23350
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Situation View Post
First day back at the gym since getting the flu. Gym was packed as hell. Calling out fcukkkked. I think you were the guy squatting next to me. I couldn't tell. All you asians look alike.
Nice to see you back. I was going to come up and ask if you know that guy (fcukkkkked) .
Posted via RS Mobile
v1nce is offline   Reply With Quote