REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #25076
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
in what way...barbells are the shit for every exercise. plus its pretty hard to get injured benching unless your form is shit tier
Well I'm pretty sure you already know the pro's and con's but for the people who are reading this thread, here's my reasons why I think dumbbells are better... but lets first look at the con's of barbell bench pressing.

Con's of Barbell Bench Pressing
  1. False sense of strength. You feel like your able to lift a lot when the reality is the exercise involves a great deal of tricep movement as the bar provides stability across your two arms.
  2. When lifting too heavy, you place a considerable amount of pressure on your shoulders. This because a critical issue when the weight is dropped too quickly or to fall on your chest, you could end up damaging your shoulder or worse the rotator cuff
  3. Not many people execute the proper bench press properly. I see many people bring the bar down to touching their chest. It worries me greatly as this causes overstretched pectoral muscles.
  4. Bad form in general. I see this all to often. People attempting to press with their entire back to the bench.
  5. Limited chest engagement. How does one perform a chest fly on a bench press?

Here's my pro's about dumbbells

Dumbbell Bench pressing
  1. I like to think that using dumbbells constitutes as a compound exercise as you engage a number of muscles to the exercise. After all your already at such a disadvantage prior.

To execute it properly you would have to do the following:
    1. Lift the weight of the rack or floor.
    2. Sit down and with the weights either resting on the floor or on your thighs, bring the weight to your chest
    3. Lower the weight and your upper body to the bench. This engages your core
    4. Engage your chest by pinching your shoulder blades and pushing out your chest thus leaving a gap in your middle back. Your middle back should not be touching the bench
    5. Spread your arms to engage the stabilizer muscles in your shoulders
    6. Engage your triceps and lift the weight
    7. As you bring the weight up, your hands should start drifting towards each other thus contracting the inner chest fully
    8. Bring the weight down until the other part of your chest is contracted fully.
    9. Rinse and repeat until concentric failure.
  2. As per above, your concentration will greatly increase due to the nature of the exercise
  3. You will build out your stabilizer muscles.
  4. Range of movement, variants in exercise. Chest flys' for example.

Con's of dumbbell bench pressing.
  1. If your injured already, primarily in the shoulder, attempting to kick off a substantially heavy weight off your knees can and will probably do more harm to the existing injury. However, you can lighten the weight considerably to avoid further injury and possibly work around it.
  2. Without a spotter, you cannot go as heavy as you like where as on a bench press you have safety mechanisms in place to ensure the weight cannot crush you if you are to lose control.

Bragging rights
  • Come on, this is given. Being able to lift and bench 100+ lbs dumbbells would be a phenomenal personal goal. I'm personally trying to get past 75lbs dumbbells right now.
  • I always give mad props to people who are able to lift 100 lbs effortlessly from the rack and then bench it, chest or shoulder wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
+1 I don't see either dumbbell or barbell being more effective than the other, but both as a strong compliment to each other...

My personal unbiased view (all hypothetical):

dumbells: good for stability and triceps because dumbbells don't allow you to compensate with your dominant side like you would with barbell. dumbbells allow you to be able to merge the dumbbells at the peak activating more pecs. Good for without a spotter because you can just drop the weights

barbell: good for benching really heavy weight. Very simple, I'm not able to bench as much with dumbbell as I am with barbell because I do not have to kick the weights up into starting position unlike barbell where I can just have my spotter unload the barbell from a racked position. With the barbell, I know exactly where I need to go to perform a full range of motion (touching the chest), whereas the dumbbell will be harder to gauge how low I will need to go (alot of guys go half way and don't even realize it). With the dumbbells, I have to keep it fixed on the transverse plane (to prevent the dumbbells from falling off to the side or falling ontop of me) in addition to the saggital plane, while for barbell my goal is to push the bar straight up in front of me. however, being able to work with dumbbells and working on this stability will be highly transferable to barbell bench.
Well said.

When I look back at my post, what I should have stated is that you should graduate from the bench press to dumbbells as soon as possible. Move back to the bench press when you need to lift heaver than 100+ lbs dumbbells.

However, I don't see the need mix bench press AND dumbbell bench pressing. Focus on one discipline and one discipline only.
Advertisement

Snoop Dogg - Starksy & Hutch
Sushi604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #25077
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
you're forgetting that with DB you're going to have a hard time getting your dumbbels up if you're working anything like 5 reps and lower
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #25078
I LOVE SQWAT

Wow that's a lot of theory. You want to get past 75lb dumbbells? Go bench press and get strong.
red_sir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #25079
J.C
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,790 Times in 592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthy View Post
bro i dont want to get big, just toned
said that the right before i signed up for the gym
J.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #25080

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Lol dude stop with your broscience. Ive been benching since hs with absolutely no shoulder problems. And there no such thing as "overstretching" your pec, you should alway touch your chest. False sense of strength? Notice how every serious strength athlete benches
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by Sid Vicious; 03-06-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #25081
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

BB for strength
DB for assistant
L0uie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #25082

Thanked 2,051 Times in 676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFonz View Post
Damn son, you got strong.

Mine
225 bench
315 dead
305 squat
@ 175

Yeah my training has been primarily based on strength. Did you get injured? I remember seeing you deadlift 365+ and squat over 315.

Do you still train at the same place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvu View Post
welp since everyones doing it

Bench: 315lbs
Deadlift: 415lbs+
Squat : 365lbs
BW: 182lbs
Since when did you hit 3 plates for bench
Fcukedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #25083
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fcukedd View Post
Since when did you hit 3 plates for bench
Quite recently actually did 275lbs for fun and found it easier than I thought and put on 3 plates to try a few days later and got 1, but problem is I have problems doing high volume workouts and I'm trying to fix that now
exdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:25 PM   #25084
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,012 Times in 988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XplicitLuder View Post
fuckkk i wanna lose weight so bad so im doing a workout of 3x10-12 or so , but i feeel SO WEAK! ugh bruhs i wanan do strength training sooo baddd haha . what to do what to do
take some DNP , CLen , and T3....

Spoiler!
strykn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #25085
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
Fuck thought spoiler was a new picture
Posted via RS Mobile
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #25086
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 4,841 Times in 632 Posts
H.Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #25087
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

delete please

Last edited by alwayslive; 03-06-2013 at 05:23 PM.
alwayslive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #25088
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,397 Times in 910 Posts
headbutts lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...OpMpVj4#t=129s
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:44 PM   #25089
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,181 Times in 237 Posts
Just because you don't have shoulder problems doing barbell press, doesn't mean everyone else doesn't have problems. Sushi can say whatever he/she wants, everyone can have an opinion.
is350 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #25090
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
that's where my gardening gloves went ^^^^^^
Posted via RS Mobile
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #25091

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx1 View Post
Just because you don't have shoulder problems doing barbell press, doesn't mean everyone else doesn't have problems. Sushi can say whatever he/she wants, everyone can have an opinion.
Uninformed opinion has no place in the realm of science. Im sure for the people repping 400+ will probably have shoulder problems. Lol that guys videos are hilarious..405 deadlift 100% natural
Posted via RS Mobile
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #25092
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araaadi View Post
Hmph, just posting up some new PRs. 3 weeks ago I was 238, currently at 232 pounds. Cutting my way down to 200. Currently on my second month of the Jim Wendler 5/3/1.

Dead PR - 425 x 1 with a little arch of back
Bench - 315 x 1 - going to attempt a little more tomorrow
Squat - 315 x 5 - slacking a little, working my way to build flexibility to go a little lower than parallel with heavier weights
Overhead Press - 185 x 3

keep it going dude, those are some solid numbers regardless of what your weight is.

so I'm thinking you got a stretching routine that you do to work on that flexibility?

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:15 PM   #25093
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi604 View Post
Spoiler!

I agree with quite a few of the points you mentioned, but points #2,3,4 can be equally applied to dumbbell bench.
You can't do a fly with a barbell, because a fly =/= bench which is counterintuitive to the comparison.

And I also agree with the points for cons of dumbbell pressing, but I would feel much more safer dumbbell pressing without a spotter than barbell bench pressing without a spotter ( I can drop the weights to the side), whereas with the barbell bench, if your sticky point is at your chest, there is no safety mechanism whatsoever to get it off your chest.

Dumbbells are great, but the barbell really is the staple of most strength sports... Powerlifting, olympic weightlifting, etc. I would be much more proud of being able to do a 4 plate bench in competition than press the hundy's in the gym for the bros to see

just for illustration, guys that do dumbbell press then move onto doing barbell bench, pin presses, barbell presses with chains, etc. Variety is gold!

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.

Last edited by instantneedles; 03-06-2013 at 09:24 PM.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #25094
J.C

Thanked 2,790 Times in 592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
da fuck lol
never seen this dbag before
J.C is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #25095
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
Quote:
You sound like a resolutioner. "GIVE ME A ROUTINE SO I CAN MAGICALLY LOSE WEIGHT"

Here, let me sum it up for you real easy.

Eat less.
Pick up heavy things. Put them down.
Repeat.

no im not looking for a magical routine that will jsut make me lose the weight. i UNDERSTAND that i have to eat better and clean up my diet thats not what i was asking. i was just wondering whether there is any difference as to the type of routine i should do while i try and lose weight. just like when ppl do strength training they do a 5/3/1 or 3x5 or 5x5 instead of 3x10-12 so im just curious if there was something that will somewhat benefit me more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi604 View Post
You totally beat me to it. Everyone has an excuse. Everyone is looking for that damn magic-pill. Everyone listens and follows too much media and bro-science.

However since your searching for that magical routine I'll just spell it out for you.

Focus on the following 3 things.
  • Benchpress (if your strong enough, dumbbell bench pressing is far more effective but can injure you just as quick)
  • Chin up's to the sternum
  • Deadlifts

However as I said before, non of these matter if you don't clean up your diet. You can't get big unless the fuel you consume is in your body to support you. Remember, you should be viewing your daily goal as 90% diet and 10% to the gym.

Your better off asking us how I should eat vs how I should lift.
once again, not looking for anything magical that will suddenly have me losing 5 lbs every week while still eating the same crap. thank you for the 3 examples though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strykn View Post
take some DNP , CLen , and T3....

Spoiler!
play the funeral remix by dash berlin for em brah ?

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:59 PM   #25096
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,012 Times in 988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
lol wtf never seen this guy either.. why is he making videos...
strykn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #25097

Thanked 1,605 Times in 536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by strykn View Post
lol wtf never seen this guy either.. why is he making videos...
hahah i see this guy all the time at shitcentral.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:33 PM   #25098

I know all of their lifts were extremely impressive, but 150x25..damn
alwayslive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:11 AM   #25099

Quote:
Damn son, you got strong.

Mine
225 bench
315 dead
305 squat
@ 175

bench 330

deadlift 400

squat 240

these are not 1rm.

i just like to eat. I dont know why your picking on me because I'm cutting.

also I am bi-polar and it's something thats really hard to deal with. This chick explains it really well

http://blog.bodybuilding.com/Michell..._bodybuilding/

Last edited by meowjinboo; 03-07-2013 at 12:18 AM.
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-07-2013, 12:28 AM   #25100
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,397 Times in 910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc95 View Post
da fuck lol
never seen this dbag before
dem workgloves
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote