REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:43 AM   #101
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by will068 View Post
I love the WWII discussions.

Axis of Powers. Nazi Germany was supposed to have Europe, Mussolini's Italy was supposed to have Africa, and Japan was supposed to have Asia.

I remember my grand parents telling me that Japan had planned the invasion decades before. In the Philippines, my grandparent's neighborhoods had some Japanese immigrants years before the war. When the invasion started, these "neighbors" were now dressed as soldier with guns and bayonets.

My Paternal Grandmother had to marry my Grandfather at 15 years old or else she would be shipped to the Soldier Camps to be a "comfort woman". Literally, the soldiers would run a train on the women daily.

My Maternal Grandmother had to carry my oldest aunt around to show that she was a mother, or else she would be raped by the soldiers as well. Also, the locals would hide in the forests and live there to hide from the Japanese.

Good thing the Americans finally joined the war. To this day, I'm somewhat in support of the American Military industrial complex and their foreign policies to a certain extent. I'd rather have them as a superpower than Nazi Germany, Imperial Japan, USSR, or present day Communist China
The U.S.A is just as bad. I'll you an example: The Vietnam war. They dropped more bombs on Vietnam then all the bombs used in the entire WW2 by all nations combined, that includes the two nukes. They used biochemical warfare which by estimates has killed 500,000 during the war and has affected over 400,000 people today in Vietnam. See Agent Orange - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Advertisement
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:45 AM   #102
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
The heavy bombing in vietnam was an attempt to prevent ground fighting, which is obviously much worse. However it didn't work, and we all know what happened after that.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:02 AM   #103
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,775 Times in 1,171 Posts
A friend's grandmother is on the front page of Reddit, talking about her experience in WW2 in the Philippines. Her grandson is typing up her comments.

When I was 14, half my family was executed while I escaped into a cornfield. I am now 81. AMA : IAmA
fml
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:37 AM   #104
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
The U.S.A is just as bad. I'll you an example: The Vietnam war. They dropped more bombs on Vietnam then all the bombs used in the entire WW2 by all nations combined, that includes the two nukes. They used biochemical warfare which by estimates has killed 500,000 during the war and has affected over 400,000 people today in Vietnam. See Agent Orange - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
How can you compare USA to the Nazis, Imperial Japanese, or USSR?

USA didn't have concentration camps that mechanically killed a specific type of ppl because of who they are. They did not kill random ppl or beheaded any POW, or even take women from the streets and used them as comfort wives. Even USSR has their shit in raping German women when they entered Berlin.
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-29-2011, 10:59 AM   #105
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post

USA didn't have concentration camps that mechanically killed a specific type of ppl because of who they are. They did not kill random ppl or beheaded any POW, or even take women from the streets and used them as comfort wives. Even USSR has their shit in raping German women when they entered Berlin.
lol c'mon man. don't be so naive.

they did kill people for who they are, vietnamese, kids women and men.
they did kill random people and kill POWs. they killed people for fun.
they did a lot of things for fun in vietnam.
there was tons of raping and pillaging done by americans in vietnam.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-29-2011, 06:54 PM   #106
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

This here is pure Alabama black snake. But it ain't too goddam beaucoup!
Posted via RS Mobile
Valour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:05 PM   #107
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Quote:

Point of view.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:24 PM   #108
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Threads like these are pretty cool. I have some WW2 history from my family I could post but its not Asian so I'll refrain from doing that. Unless you guys want me to.
PavelGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:55 PM   #109
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
Here's another weird one.........

Japanese American Regiment in Europe - the most highly decorated. While their families were in internment camps......

Quote:
The unit became the most highly–decorated regiment in the history of the United States armed forces, including 21 Medal of Honor recipients.

442nd Infantry Regiment (United States) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Japanese American regiment was considered expendable and like the many Canadian combat groups on D-Day, were sent on suicide missions.

Last edited by MG1; 12-29-2011 at 08:03 PM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:25 AM   #110
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post

Yes, I agree, Americans has done all that. Even in the recent gulf war, they had a bunch of headlines from that lesbian soldier and the naked arab guys to Guantanamo bay.

But what I was trying to say is that all those were not part of the USA political agenda. It was not an order from the government itself. Whereas, it was a political agenda for the Nazis to kill off Jews, it was part of the government decision making to provide comfort wives for the Japanese soldiers. There isn't a clean war out there.
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:01 AM   #111

Quote:

You're confusing things done by Americans with things done by America
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 12-30-2011, 01:32 AM   #112
I keep RS good

Quote:
There isn't a clean war out there.
no shit, war isn't supposed to be clean. it's war. ya know, where you fuckin kill people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
You're confusing things done by Americans with things done by America
Posted via RS Mobile
america is just land.

the people represent the nation, this goes for all nations.
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-30-2011, 01:38 AM   #113
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Yes, I agree, Americans has done all that. Even in the recent gulf war, they had a bunch of headlines from that lesbian soldier and the naked arab guys to Guantanamo bay.

But what I was trying to say is that all those were not part of the USA political agenda. It was not an order from the government itself. Whereas, it was a political agenda for the Nazis to kill off Jews, it was part of the government decision making to provide comfort wives for the Japanese soldiers. There isn't a clean war out there.
Iraqi war. Vietnam war. Look up the death totals for civilians in these wars. To me there is no difference between killing 1000 people by a bomb versus sending 1000 people into a gas chamber to die. 400,000 vietnamese civilians died from Agent Orange alone. Not soldiers, civilians.
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:24 AM   #114

Quote:

the people represent the nation, this goes for all nations.
Umm, no.

A few Americans went crazy and took advantage of their position. Compare this to the Japanese in China and Hong Kong, who were led into RAPE BATTLE as part of their tactics of war.

Big difference.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:18 AM   #115
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,646 Times in 2,302 Posts

this has got to fit in somewhere
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-30-2011, 06:45 AM   #116
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
^it most certainly does........... mixed chicks, FTW.

Anyway, back to the war thing. Doesn't matter what country, race, religion, creed, etc., war gives people the excuse to do whatever they want. Most decent people would never think of doing those kinds of things to another human being. Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan, for example........ there were a lot of people who did not agree with what was going on, but what could you do? Those two nations were caught up in a frenzy. If you spoke out against any of it, you were as good as dead, along with your family. Treason/traitor/whathaveyou. Plus, a lot of civilians were unaware of what was going on. All they heard were how well their fathers, brothers, and sons were doing - fighting for their country, blah, blah, blah........ war is evil and brings out the worst in people.

I was hoping this thread would become more than just a "who did what to who". There's more to history than just war. Vansterdamn's contribution is kind of cool, because it touches on cultures influencing/affecting other cultures.

Someone pointed out the artwork of a nation changing as it was conquered by other nations/peoples.

In Japan, there was a period of time where Chinese culture had a big impact on its people's way of life. Everything Chinese was cool and trendy. There were even cities modeled after those in China. This was not via any conquering of Japan. It was something the emperor and people in power seemed to fancy at the time. I think they termed it the "Heian" period. This was the period where Buddhism took foothold in Japan.

Also, this period is where the Japanese developed the kana (written language), spurring the literature types in Japan to flourish.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #117
I keep RS good

the problem is most people don't know anything about asian history except what happened in the past 100 years, which i don't even consider history lol.

if someone has experienced it, and is still alive today, it's not even close to history yet.

if you limit the discussion to at least a few hundred years ago. or at least before 1800, then you'll filter everyone out that has no idea what they're talking about. or it will at least force them to wiki every topic brought up in this thread lol!
Old 01-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #118
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
After my grandparents passed away, I found a big stack of LIFE Magazines from the 1940's to the 1960's in their basement, and since I'm the photographer in the family, I got to keep them! There was a copy of the December 22, 1941 issue in the pile, and as I was reading through it, I came across this article! Can you imagine such an article being published now? Somehow, I don't think as article like, "How to tell between a Taliban terrorist and a Sikh man," will make it past the editor's desk.

Click for larger image to read the text.

The cover. Time Magazine had an almost identical photo a week after 9/11.

The article. Remember, this is just after the Pearl Harbour attack.

R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #119

Those were the times man... You do see similar things, but not from 'mainstream' media as much

I'd love to dig through those magazines just for the ads!