REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:24 PM   #51
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,753 Times in 353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murmur View Post
this is a good video to watch:

Bride Kidnapping in Kyrgyzstan.

Bride Kidnapping in Kyrgyzstan | VICE News | VICE

i was very after seeing it.

a classic case of traditions vs. western views.
that is sick and very sad... what the f**k??
Advertisement
Bahhbeehhaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:04 PM   #52
Banned (ABWS)

Prisoners of war in china (the korean war)

niu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:26 AM   #53
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Skinnypup why the fail? I'll admit I was both tired+a bit bias about the whole topic but I've seen you talk about people failing without explanation so whats up?
MY PENIS IS THE SIZE OF A CIGARETTE LIGHTER! jizzing on my keyboard is hard for me! imma be fucked for life, but fuck it I'm a BITCH!
hongy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:35 AM   #54
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
Try Googling it?

That's like asking "What's the Holocaust about?"
dont be to hard on people.. its just a simple conversational question that one may not even realize they asked. Or maybe they would like to hear the guys version of those accounts that creeped him out?

we're supposed to be a community...

sick of the google it replys. just dont say anything? how hard is that.

/rant
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-27-2011, 03:43 AM   #55
2010 RS Top Food Critic Winner

Wonderful thread. subscribed.
K-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:53 AM   #56
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hongy View Post
Skinnypup why the fail? I'll admit I was both tired+a bit bias about the whole topic but I've seen you talk about people failing without explanation so whats up?
I didn't like the way you downplayed the severity of tianmen square, suggesting that it was only 'sensationalized' by western media. It's not just western media that considers it a pretty big deal, there are a lot of pro-democracy people that are quite affected by the event and of course all those that preceded it.

The nanjing massacre was an atrocity commited by a warring nation on another. The things that Mao did afterward make it look acceptable, if you want to consider pure body count, or the complete 'rape' of a culture. It's ironic that in a thread that is celebrating chinese and asian culture, where most of the culture has been bleached out of china, and replaced by what we see now. All this fascinating history, art, literature, science, and what's left?

Sorry for the semi drunk rant
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:07 AM   #57
Need my Daily Fix of RS

bananana or whatever your name is
if you fail me, at least state a reason.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:30 AM   #58
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
uh... i'm sure there's a lot more to discuss than just what happened within the past 100 years, which also happens to be the least interesting, unless you're talking about atomic bombs and computers and other high tech inventions.

lets not forget about Genghis Khan?

i forgot which town or city it was or the exact details... basically he's all nice and sends some gift baskets over to some place he wants as part of his empire, in hopes the ruler dude will accept and join him, but instead of being all smart and accepting his gift, they fucking kill the messenger. lol sucks to be him.

anyway, so Genghis basically flattens the city, and kills EVERY man woman and child. lol. like literally removes the city and all its inhabitants and all of its history from the face of the planet.

im sure he did this to a lot of cities, he basically only spared people if they surrender quickly/immediately. and he kept "useful" people like scientists/philosphers/artists etc.

the rest of the people were usually turned into slaves. he sometimes spared the kids and women. but i'd imagine it was usually a just a lot of raping and pillaging, and killing everything that moved and burning everything down.

but often he'd just turn the whole city into rubble, and kill every man woman and child.
pretty crazy dude. he coulda taken northern africa and europe if he didnt die.

he controlled the largest physically connected empire to ever exist.

the thing is he was a good "ruler". he wasnt just a crazy tyrant (only if you opposed him duh). he'd often let you run things the way it was. your religion, your culture etc. you just have to serve his empire. he wouldn't "convert" you to his mongol ways. he would have advisors and consultants of every religion and background. i thought that was super cool.

kinda like a board of directors, ya got your christians, buddhists, taoists etc. all in one room, under khan.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:43 AM   #59
Banned (ABWS)

^ yeah look at the mongolians now. they only have 2million+ people in their country!!

Mongolia was supposed to be part of China. But the Russians made sure that Mongolia would be freed. LOL!
SFUguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:50 AM   #60
I keep RS good

yeah well look at the egyptians, romans, spanish, portuguese, brazil, japanese, or persia... err iran.. the list goes on.
if you list every great empire that has ever existed, i can bet you 70%+ of them are "" now.

lol, NO empire has held their own against the test of time. unless you look at all of humans as one empire, then we've thrived exponentially lol.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:58 AM   #61
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Genghis Khan's death:

"The Galician-Volhynian Chronicle alleges he was killed by the Tanguts in battle. Later Mongol chronicles connect Genghis' death with a Tangut princess taken as war booty. One chronicle from the early 17th century even relates that the princess hid a small pair of pliers inside her vagina, and hurt the Great Khan so badly that he died. Some Mongol authors have doubted this version and suspected it to be an invention by the rival Oirads.[36]"

Old 12-27-2011, 09:15 AM   #62
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
yeah well look at the egyptians, romans, spanish, portuguese, brazil, japanese, or persia... err iran.. the list goes on.
if you list every great empire that has ever existed, i can bet you 70%+ of them are "" now.

lol, NO empire has held their own against the test of time. unless you look at all of humans as one empire, then we've thrived exponentially lol.
China still survives and thrives to this day.

Oh. And Turkey. The re-emergence of Turkey. Not quite Muslim. Not quite European. Not quite Middle Eastern. Nobody knows what the fuck it is. But they are coming.....................FOR YOU!
SFUguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:46 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I didn't like the way you downplayed the severity of tianmen square, suggesting that it was only 'sensationalized' by western media. It's not just western media that considers it a pretty big deal, there are a lot of pro-democracy people that are quite affected by the event and of course all those that preceded it.

The nanjing massacre was an atrocity commited by a warring nation on another. The things that Mao did afterward make it look acceptable, if you want to consider pure body count, or the complete 'rape' of a culture. It's ironic that in a thread that is celebrating chinese and asian culture, where most of the culture has been bleached out of china, and replaced by what we see now. All this fascinating history, art, literature, science, and what's left?

Sorry for the semi drunk rant
Oh sorrry about that. I wasn't trying to down play the significance of tianmen square. What I was trying to say was that over here in the western world we are shown how ruthless China is and how horrible it is to live there. Where as something like Nanking is not given the same value as the Holocaust.

Actually I'm not sure most people know very much about the atrocities done by the Japanese versus the Nazi.
MY PENIS IS THE SIZE OF A CIGARETTE LIGHTER! jizzing on my keyboard is hard for me! imma be fucked for life, but fuck it I'm a BITCH!
Old 12-27-2011, 12:06 PM   #64
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Where as something like Nanking is not given the same value as the Holocaust.
Nanking was very unfortunate, but it's not given the same value because it lasted a few weeks, and was really just one city. Although it is significant and should not be dismissed, the Holocaust itself was just a much larger scale.

The holocaust was in many countries for the duration of an entire World War, with 10 + million Jews dead, and related a lot more to people of the western world.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-27-2011, 12:26 PM   #65
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Oh sorrry about that. I wasn't trying to down play the significance of tianmen square. What I was trying to say was that over here in the western world we are shown how ruthless China is and how horrible it is to live there. Where as something like Nanking is not given the same value as the Holocaust.

Actually I'm not sure most people know very much about the atrocities done by the Japanese versus the Nazi.
The rape of Nanking was atrocious, but Imperial Japan did to every country they conquered in WWII. Perhaps the Nanking incident is downplayed because it shouldn't be just focused on Nanking but all of East Asia.

Also, it depends which part of the world you live in. Growing up in the Philippines until I was 10, you get immersed with Asian History. And since world war history always intrigued me, it was easier for me to learn about what the Philippines and Asia went through during WWII (e.g. books, parents, grand parents, and older people telling you about how they lived). So yeah, I definitely knew about the Rape of Nanking, but I didn't really know much about the Holocaust, nor was I that interested at that time. Only when I became much older was when I got more exposed to more information and my interest grew.

When millions of white people get slaughtered, yes, white people care. When millions of non whites get slaughtered, the western world will not care to the same degree. And this is true for other nationalities and races. Just look at Koreans and how Korean Nationals are pissed off the most with the Japanese Government because of how Japan is rewriting their history - especially with their treatment of Korea in the past.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:27 PM   #66

Quote:
Genghis Khan's death:

"The Galician-Volhynian Chronicle alleges he was killed by the Tanguts in battle. Later Mongol chronicles connect Genghis' death with a Tangut princess taken as war booty. One chronicle from the early 17th century even relates that the princess hid a small pair of pliers inside her vagina, and hurt the Great Khan so badly that he died. Some Mongol authors have doubted this version and suspected it to be an invention by the rival Oirads.[36]"

Old 12-27-2011, 12:32 PM   #67
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:

When Japanese soldiers killed people (men. women and children), they used all kinds of methods humanly imaginable, such as shooting, bayoneting, beheading, killing with bamboo spears, burying alive, beating to death, hanging, setting on fire, running over by trucks, and you name it.

watch "Men Behind the Sun" if u want see the gruesome acts carried out in unit 731.
niu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:43 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by will068 View Post

When millions of white people get slaughtered, yes, white people care. When millions of non whites get slaughtered, the western world will not care to the same degree. And this is true for other nationalities and races. Just look at Koreans and how Korean Nationals are pissed off the most with the Japanese Government because of how Japan is rewriting their history - especially with their treatment of Korea in the past.
Quote:
Originally Posted by niu99 View Post
When Japanese soldiers killed people (men. women and children), they used all kinds of methods humanly imaginable, such as shooting, bayoneting, beheading, killing with bamboo spears, burying alive, beating to death, hanging, setting on fire, running over by trucks, and you name it.

watch "Men Behind the Sun" if u want see the gruesome acts carried out in unit 731.
This was what I attempted at saying. Majority of people have no idea what happened over on the East during the war.

Sorry for derailing the thread.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:01 PM   #69

Quote:
This was what I attempted at saying. Majority of people have no idea what happened over on the East during the war.

Sorry for derailing the thread.
haha, It's still history

What I loved to learn more is about Genghis Khan and the dynasties he propagated. What helped his Clan to be successful was their sheer physical size compared to their opponents.

Vitlai Klitschko is said to be a descendant from the original Khan clan where Genghis Khan was. For those of you who may not know, Vitali is a 6'7" heavyweight boxer.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:12 AM   #70
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,051 Times in 265 Posts
Quote:
there's a couple of incidents in recent asian history that i would always tell my grandchildren about:

jasmine revolution: the attempted revolution against chinese government (2011)

2011 Chinese pro-democracy protests - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

story: with the revolution happening in african countries, couple of chinese netizens were influenced to start up a revolution against the corrupted communist government. giant cities, such as shanghai, guangzhou, chengdu, hong kong, etc were on big alert. plaincloth policemen and secret police were wary of the situation.

result: as per the wiki, the revolution was tightly controlled and did not become successful. people were arrested. hong kong, a society that is currently supressed by the communist government (i am from hong kong), has people that wanted to join the revolution. few days before the planned revolution, the government did a knee-jerk reaction by offering each hong kong citizen $6000 HKD (roughly around $900 CAD). the revolution in hong kong was just a bare "eff you" in front of the sino-hong kong headquarter.
Quote:
bananana or whatever your name is
if you fail me, at least state a reason.

The "Jasmine Revolution" was of zero significance in China. It never gained any support whatsoever, not due to government intervention, but because it was extremely poorly planned over an extremely short period of time. It's execution was pretty laughable - officially it was pinned onto an American-Chinese who posted on a online blog telling locals to show support by carrying Jasmine flowers down streets in China.

You must realize this is China where it is illegal to hold such protests. The Chinese government did send a large amount of police forces in case things did happen but nothing did - here in Shanghai, people joked that there were more Police that showed up than "supporters" of any kind. The final result of the Jasmine Revolution: Linkedin was banned in China (for a week).

Completely unrelated, the HKD$6000 was given to citizens because of a surplus of funds in the HK Government who were hoping to place the funds into the pension system. They decided against this as pension funds would only be of benefit to the more well-off citizens. The hopes were that handing out cash indiscriminately would promote consumer spending, thus putting the money back into the local economy.

The system was actually copied from Macau which has done this numerous times, with varying amounts of money.

The fail was for your tin-foil hat explanation that the two events were somehow related. Also for giving credit (at all) to such an insignificant "movement".
bananana is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-28-2011, 03:38 AM   #71
The "You'd Know" Moderator

OP: Asian studies graduate here at UBC

I think it's one of the more underated faculties in UBC. I like their upper level programs that are focused on south and east Asia especially after the Industrial Revolution. The aggrogance of the Chinese during the 1800s pretty much paved way for the next 100 years of chaos. In contrast, the size of Japan and the attitude of the Japanese were able to make modernization possible in the late 1800s and early 1900s and allow them to strike back during WWII. Simply fascinating.
Posted via RS Mobile
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-28-2011, 08:49 AM   #72
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
The Japanese were ruthless during WWII. I had a family friend who told me that his family/parents were able to survive death because the sword used in the katana was becoming too dull to use. Believe it or not, but the Japanese should've been punished like the nazis.

About Genghis Kahn, wasn't there something about that every person out of 4 or 6 has some sort of blood related to him?
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:06 AM   #73
I keep RS good

yeah, he fucked a lot.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-28-2011, 09:32 AM   #74
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by niu99 View Post

You know it's bad when Nazi officers in China complain to Hitler about the atrocities committed by the Japanese army. Source: "The Rape of Nanking" by Iris Chang.
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:34 AM   #75
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by impactX View Post
OP: Asian studies graduate here at UBC
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote