REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-25-2011, 11:26 PM   #26
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

read a lot of books about chinese history over the years. It is amazing how thing are so much more interesting if you are not tested on it.
Advertisement

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:37 PM   #27
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Londons museam of national history or w/e its called is pretty amazing for a days learning of the british empire, theyve got a tonne of stuff from all the plundering they did throughout their reign, amazing stuff and 100% must do it you go to London, everything from Samurai armour to the Rosetta stone
Would this not be the British Museum?
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:46 PM   #28
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by keifun View Post
Didn't learn any Asian history in high school. It was all boring Canadian history for me during Social Studies class.
High school social studies is meant to culture you to learn about canadian history, values, and norms. It isn't until post secondary school that you can start specializing into anything past that.

In fact, its wasn't until recently (after the redresses) that high school social studies started even talking about early asian settlers (or at least the negatives) in canada.
Posted via RS Mobile
AutozamAZ-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:49 AM   #29
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,753 Times in 353 Posts
I LOVE LOVE LOVE CHINESE HISTORY.

I have a collection of ALL Romance of the Three Kingdoms books, movies and games (1-11).

Here is a list of all dynasties
Dynasties in Chinese history - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are four dynasties that interest me, the Warring States Period戰國時代, Qin Dynasty秦朝,Han dynasty漢朝, Three Kingdoms三國.

the warring states period - Qin Shihuang fought and defeated the other 6 states.

Qin Dynasty - Qin Shihuang first Emperor of China, because of the ruthless ruling this emperor lasted for 14 years. which leads to Han Dynasty.

Liu Bang and Hong Yiu ( greatest fighter at that time) lead a successful rebellion against the Qin. Liu Bang and Hong Yiu then split china into 2 parts. a peace treaty was signed but Liu Bang back stabbed Hong Yiu and took over China. (204–203 BC This is the time when Chinese chess were invented. If you look at the chinese chess board, in the middle it says Chu River, Han Land. 楚河漢界, a symbol represents an even split of china..

Han Dynasty - King Liu Bang, first Emperor that lasted more then 300 years, very impressive numbers at that time.

Three Kingdoms - At the end of Han Dynasty, the king Liu Xie 劉協 had minimum or even had absolute no control over his empror.. Soo the he asked Cao Cao for support .. then it spelled DISASTER, The Cao's family had soo much power that they force the Han King to step down the throne and Cao Cao's son Cao Pei became King of china (part of china). Liu Bei (blood related to Liu Xie and Liu Bang) then quickly crowned himself king and so did Sun Quan. Sooo that is how the Three Kingdom is formed (WEI, SHU, WU). Later, Wei conquered Shu and Wu and then after sometime, the Sima family betrayed the Cao's family and the Sima family became king of China.

Some of the famous battles during the 3 kingdom period.

Battle of Hu Lao Gate - ( Dong Zhou, Lu Bu, Zhang Liao, Hoa Hong Vs allies Yuan Shao, Cao Cao, Lu Bei,)
Victory - allies forces

Battle of Battle of Guandu - ( Cao Cao vs Yuan Shao) Cao Cao had 2 weeks of supplies while Yuan Shao is filled with goodies
Forces - Cao Cao - 40,000 men. Yuan Shao had 110,000 men
Victory - Cao Cao

Battle of Red Cliffs 赤壁之戰 - ( Cao Cao vs Sun Qian and Liu Bei ) VERY FAMOUS BATTLE.
Forces - cao cao 800,000 men . Sun Quan and Liu Bei combined 50,000 men.
Victory - Sun Quan/Liu Bei. Cao Cao lost more then 250,000 men

Battle of Xiaoting - ( SHU Liu Bei vs WU Sun Qian ) Liu Bei's revenge for Guan Yiu's execution done by WU.
Forces - SHU Liu Bei 100,000 men vs WU Sun Quan 50,000 men.
Victor - WU. Liu Bei lost 80,000 men and he also died after the battle. (illness)

Please feel free to comment.!!~~ some info might not be a 100% correct!!

Last edited by Bahhbeehhaaaa; 12-26-2011 at 01:09 AM.
Bahhbeehhaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-26-2011, 01:57 AM   #30
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post

Up until the Americans (Admiral Perry) showed up in Japanese waters, Japan was the only Asian nation not invaded, or in part, colonized by western forces. The western nations had power over everybody, and Japan was to be next.

Asians at the time were considered inferior in every way and when it came to trade, it was a one sided deal. Asians were made fun of and bullied.
To this day, my Japanese friends pride themselves for a nation not being conquered by the west. It's unfortunate that Imperial Japan acted Nazi on East Asia back then.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:59 AM   #31
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goo3 View Post
Would this not be the British Museum?
Damn. I've been sent by my company a few times to London for work this year. I have only been to the National Museum in Trafagar. I definitely need to hit up the other museums.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:45 AM   #32
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
^

learning about louis riel and the metis in socials 11 hahaha
CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:50 AM   #33
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,777 Times in 8,170 Posts
I had the absolutely worst socials teacher you can possibly imagine in grade 10 or 11. I'll talk about why later, but man having a bad teacher can really affect how students do in school
Posted via RS Mobile
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-26-2011, 03:13 AM   #34
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
i was really interested in learning about the 20th century world powers in high school history 12...too bad my current major didn't allow much flexibility or else I would've chosen some as electives...regardless i knew it would include tons of writing which i hate.

i'm quite intrigued at the history of taiwan...just because it's so friggin complicated and ties in with my roots but i am discouraged to post it because most are apathetic towards the topic.

can anyone recommend a largely unbiased history book on taiwan? friend suggested one before but i forgot the name of it. More interested to learning about it before the 1895 - WWII Japanese occupation.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-26-2011, 06:38 AM   #35
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
have you seen the movie "Red Cliff"... very very good...

"Romance of the Three Kingdoms" is also another good series...
Old 12-26-2011, 06:55 AM   #36
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,777 Times in 8,170 Posts
BTW don't confuse "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" with actual history during that period. One has very little to do with the other, except some names and perhaps some events.

Saying you like history is one thing, but if you base that on ROTK, then you like historical drama, not history.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:59 AM   #37
Banned (ABWS)

You know what I find interesting is the Bai Yue 百越. They lived south of the Yellow River. They were known collectively as the "100 Yue" (Yue = Viet) before the Han dynasty conquered them and Sinicized them. The Vietnamese believe that they are the last of the Yue that have not been made into Han people. They want to wake up all of the south Chinese people that they are not Chinese but really "Yue" people and make them hate the Han people.. lol
SFUguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:40 AM   #38
Need my Daily Fix of RS

i love reading Romance of Three Kingdoms
it improves my chinese, especially from reading the chinese novel/comic (drawn from mainland china).

the saddest part is the post-Zhuge Liang period.
Jiang Wei, Zhuge Liang's protege, used every attempt to rescue Shu, but his ability was heavily limited by Liu Shan the King (who is worst than Kim Jong-il, always drinking and didn't consider for the country).

---

off-topic:

i am always interested in the 'modern' multi-culturalism of china
especially the rise of uyghurs in western china, the korean heritage in northern china, and the sino-north korean relationship.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:43 PM   #39
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

imo, stay away from Rape of Nanking (True Events) , it's like the chinese holocaust. that shiet will give you creeps.

I always enjoyed learning about Gengkis Khan and Attila the Hun. (mostly from the old school Age of Empires games), which lead me to look into these two guys more.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:45 PM   #40
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,753 Times in 353 Posts
lol what's the rape of naking about?
Bahhbeehhaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:54 PM   #41
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahhbeehhaaaa View Post
Try Googling it?

That's like asking "What's the Holocaust about?"
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-26-2011, 02:07 PM   #42
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahhbeehhaaaa View Post
Chinese capital got raped by japanese soldiers. Both figuratively and Literally.
MY PENIS IS THE SIZE OF A CIGARETTE LIGHTER! jizzing on my keyboard is hard for me! imma be fucked for life, but fuck it I'm a BITCH!
hongy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-26-2011, 02:20 PM   #43
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hongy View Post
Chinese capital got raped by japanese soldiers. Both figuratively and Literally.
with the japanese government not admitting to the incident
while trying to exclude the massacre on japanese textbooks.

sometimes it angers me on how anti-sino news outlets placed so much emphasis on tianamen massacre and not paying same amount of attention on the rape of nanjing and andjian (uzbek) massacre. (mind you, i really hate and pity the tiananmen massacre)
Posted via RS Mobile
murmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:24 PM   #44
I LIKE JDM!!

Thanked 2,175 Times in 715 Posts
History is pretty sweet! Fun times learning

YouTube
Instagram
flickr
Twitter
Portfolio
european is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:30 PM   #45
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by murmur View Post
with the japanese government not admitting to the incident
while trying to exclude the massacre on japanese textbooks.

sometimes it angers me on how anti-sino news outlets placed so much emphasis on tianamen massacre and not paying same amount of attention on the rape of nanjing and andjian (uzbek) massacre. (mind you, i really hate and pity the tiananmen massacre)
Posted via RS Mobile
Tianamen square was done by communists crushing democracy, that makes the news sensational as fuck to westerners. Where as rape of Nanking happened to a country that no one likes and was done by people that are now considered world leaders.

It is very fucked up that when you hear about people saying the Holocaust was faked or not real or anything along those lines there is an immediate backlash, but something like the rape of Nanking gets completely overlooked both on a small scale and a larger/international scale.
MY PENIS IS THE SIZE OF A CIGARETTE LIGHTER! jizzing on my keyboard is hard for me! imma be fucked for life, but fuck it I'm a BITCH!
hongy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-26-2011, 03:38 PM   #46
Need my Daily Fix of RS

there's a couple of incidents in recent asian history that i would always tell my grandchildren about:

jasmine revolution: the attempted revolution against chinese government (2011)

2011 Chinese pro-democracy protests - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

story: with the revolution happening in african countries, couple of chinese netizens were influenced to start up a revolution against the corrupted communist government. giant cities, such as shanghai, guangzhou, chengdu, hong kong, etc were on big alert. plaincloth policemen and secret police were wary of the situation.

result: as per the wiki, the revolution was tightly controlled and did not become successful. people were arrested. hong kong, a society that is currently supressed by the communist government (i am from hong kong), has people that wanted to join the revolution. few days before the planned revolution, the government did a knee-jerk reaction by offering each hong kong citizen $6000 HKD (roughly around $900 CAD). the revolution in hong kong was just a bare "eff you" in front of the sino-hong kong headquarter.

another incident:

2010 kyrgyzstani revolution: a success against cronyism

2010 Kyrgyzstani revolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

this incident tells crony governments around the world to take serious and good care of its citizens..or else..
Old 12-26-2011, 03:40 PM   #47
Need my Daily Fix of RS

this is a good video to watch:

Bride Kidnapping in Kyrgyzstan.

Bride Kidnapping in Kyrgyzstan | VICE News | VICE

i was very after seeing it.

a classic case of traditions vs. western views.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:47 PM   #48
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
i love ww2 stories...the documentaries on the holocaust and other battles is absolutely fascinating but it leaves me sad every single time i watch the holocaust ones. Its eery and scary as hell the way the leaders of the nazi would sit around a big table and talk about what chemicals and methods would kill more jews at a lower cost....and just other things to do to get rid of them. gives me goosebumps
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #49
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,478 Times in 1,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keifun View Post
Didn't learn any Asian history in high school. It was all boring Canadian history for me during Social Studies class.
+1. -also never learned any Asian history in high school. Social Studies and Western Civilization courses covered the Greeks, Renaissance period, and Canadian history.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:24 PM   #50
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,497 Times in 4,892 Posts
The awesome technology the Chinese had. You list them and it's mind boggling how the west had none of that stuff.

Marco Polo..........
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote