REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:26 AM   #676
Banned (ABWS)

olympics have been hectic
Advertisement
Insidious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:32 AM   #677
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,806 Times in 8,185 Posts
17 medals, is there a chance at beating 2008's numbers? If so, even though it seems low, it's a pretty good # and best since Atlanta!
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:55 AM   #678
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Usain Bolt hurts own image with shot at Carl Lewis - Yahoo! Sports

Quote:
LONDON – Until 11:45 p.m. London time on Thursday, Usain Bolt had achieved something even more remarkable than turning the Olympic Stadium track into his own personal drag strip.

He'd managed to be the most toweringly arrogant, endlessly cocky, thoroughly likeable guy in sports.

Then he nuked Carl Lewis.

There went the American vote, Usain. Hope the endorsement deals in Jamaica and Europe stay strong.

Bolt's run as the most popular foreign athlete in the United States – maybe ever, or at least in the argument – might have ended abruptly Thursday night. After winning his fifth career Olympic gold medal and second of the London Games, he veered out of his way in the 200-meter news conference to savage Lewis, who merely won nine gold medals for America during his brilliant sprinting-and-jumping career. Them's fightin' words.

Bolt was asked about the great sprinters of all time, with the names Jesse Owens and Carl Lewis mentioned. Bolt gave props to Owens then announced, "I'm going to say something controversial."

Did he ever.

"Carl Lewis, I have no respect for him," Bolt said. "The things he says about the track athletes are very downgrading. I think he's just looking for attention because nobody really talks about him.

"I've lost all respect for him. All respect."

Bolt was asked what caused him to lose respect for Lewis.

"All drug stuff," he responded.

Four years ago, when Bolt exploded in Beijing by winning three gold medals, Lewis specifically questioned Bolt's huge time drop in the 100 meters, from 10.03 to 9.69 in the course of a year.

"If you don't question that in a sport that has the reputation it has right now, you're a fool," Lewis said. "Period."

Back to the present and back to you, Bolt.

"For an athlete to be out of the sport and be saying that is really upsetting," he said Thursday night.

Actually, Bolt took a shot at Lewis earlier in the night in the media zone just off the track. There, he was asked a drug-related question that did involve the name "Victor Conte" but did not involve the name "Carl Lewis." Yet Bolt went there on his own.

"It's really amazing when people talk stupid stuff," Bolt said. "Lewis, nobody remembers who he is. … We [the Jamaicans] work hard, we push ourselves to the limit. I shouldn't even have to respond to that."

This could be the tipping point for Bolt. A guy with a huge approval rating and the most mesmerizing performer in sports just gave a whole lot of people a fresh reason to appraise him much more critically.

There was fresh reason to celebrate Jamaican speed Thursday, and fresh reason to question it. The tiny island nation swept the podium in the 200, with Bolt taking gold, Yohan Blake silver and Warren Weir bronze. That fulfilled Bolt's pre-race marching orders to Weir: "One, two, tree," he said, to accurately quote Weir's Jamaican diction.

One-two-tree, indeed. With the sweep in hand, the announcer at Olympic Stadium spoke the truth: "It's going to be a long night in Kingston tonight."

But in London, there were questions to be asked and answered. Blake was asked about a three-month doping suspension in 2009 after testing positive for a stimulant.

"In life," Blake said, "you have obstacles."

In an epic news conference Freudian slip, an American sports writer mistakenly started a question about the Jamaican track team by referring to the "Jamaican drug team." After the laughter in the room died down, the question was asked: Usain, are you sure your team is clean?

"Without a doubt," Bolt said. "We train hard. … We do our best to show the world we are clean."

Until going after Lewis, Bolt had shown the world that it's possible to be the world's fastest man, have the world's biggest ego and still be the world's most enjoyable athlete.

This is normally a toxic combination. We like our superstars humble – even if the humility is false. We've bred an entire generation of athletes who will throw no-hitters, rack up triple-doubles or score four touchdowns only to blandly chalk it all up to great teammates and good luck. That has become the accepted, recommended and even enforced method of analyzing one's own greatness.

Not Bolt. Hell no.

Maybe 20 times Thursday, he referred to himself as a "living legend," after becoming the first sprinter in Olympic history to win the 100 and 200 in consecutive Olympics. He agreed that he is now in the same category as Muhammad Ali and Michael Jordan in the pantheon of global sports icons. He put himself on the same level as Bob Marley in terms of importance to Jamaica.

And yet it all worked. Why? Because Bolt is the blazing ambassador of fun.

Everything is a laugh with Bolt. Everything is a joke. He is true to Jamaican stereotype in his ability to smile in the face of stress.

Best example: Before the 200, with the stadium dripping tension, Bolt looked at the girl volunteer who was in charge of his lane on the track.

"You're nervous," he said to her.

"Yes," she answered.

"Why?" he asked.

"I'm so excited!" she responded.

"That's the thing I like to do," Bolt explained later. "I'll bump a fist for the person carrying my bag, to show appreciation. I know they're over the moon."

[ Video: American runner breaks leg and still finishes race ]

What American athlete would matter-of-factly acknowledge the fact that he or she sends The Common People over the moon? Bolt does it, and it's fine, because that's just who he is.

Of course, it's a lot easier to be a character and a showman if you can back it up. When Bolt was introduced to the crowd before the 200, he mimicked the queen's restrained parade wave; that was big-screen gold. Then he smoked Blake, Weir and the rest of the field.

Bolt has backed up the bravado every time he's run an Olympic race. He's 5-for-5, with a relay race still to go here.

There's nothing worse than a big talker who can't walk the walk. Or, in this case, run the run. Bolt can run the run.

But then Usain Bolt, lovable egomaniac, ran outside his lane. At the height of his glory he stooped to petty shots at an American track legend – not a great look for a champion, not a graceful end to a glorious night.

Now we'll see what the fallout will be. It's all glory and celebration in Kingston tonight, but how will killing Carl Lewis play in Peoria?
Old 08-10-2012, 07:05 AM   #679
My homepage has been set to RS

^this author is an idiot. people will still like bolt and therefore he will still get endorsements. this wont even be news in a week. and not to mwntion the fact that endorsements arent just based on the u.s anymore but the global market, which will give even less of a shit. wow bolt has no respect for a famous runner who strted a fight with him, who cares?
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:10 AM   #680

Man Yahoo has really gone WAAAAAAAAAAY downhill in the last few months. Even before the olympics..
Old 08-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #681
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,306 Times in 5,629 Posts
Lewis looks like the clown in all of this from what I've read/heard
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2012, 08:51 AM   #682

He is a clown
Old 08-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #683

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
It's hard to take anyone's word for it when so many people get caught over the years, which is too bad cause whenever a world record is broken these days there's always a doubt on if it was done legally or not.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:37 AM   #684

The author definately has a bias.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:46 AM   #685

as a geezer who has achieved in his field, lewis has a right to critique. bolt has a right ot respectfully disagree. Both have big egos and you could argue are being clowns, but regardless their sentiments are justified.

However, for anyone to give a shit, is a ridiculous idea. Not only is this not news, but even if it was, for Puma to back out of sponsoring an international athlete because he does not respect an american champion is idiotic. This author has nothing to write about so is trying to take an irrelevant story and spin it into something. Ironically by writing this article calling Bolt an attention whore, the author is just doing the same.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2012, 10:07 AM   #686
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,811 Times in 2,500 Posts
A Bastion for Bigots and Shameless Racists

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:00 PM   #687
Summertime Sadness

Thanked 2,911 Times in 648 Posts
Quote:
U.S. Olympic athlete, Mexican flag?
Quote:
Leo Manzano waved both U.S. and Mexico flags after winning in the Olympics

Ruben Navarrette: It was not a good idea for Manzano to carry two flags

He says Manzano should have been clear about which country he represented

By putting on the jersey for Team USA, it's clear what his choice was

Quote:
What am I missing? Where were the Italian-American athletes waving the Italian flag, or the Irish-Americans waving the Irish flag? I didn't see that.
U.S. Olympic athlete, Mexican flag? - CNN.com

[15-01, 11:33] ICE BOY i'm going to wrap my dick in a crepe and make you suck the filling

[[09-10, 11:34] ICE BOY liquor in the front, poker in the rear

Last edited by LSF22; 08-10-2012 at 01:11 PM.
LSF22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #688
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkrussian View Post
as a geezer who has achieved in his field, lewis has a right to critique. bolt has a right ot respectfully disagree. Both have big egos and you could argue are being clowns, but regardless their sentiments are justified.
Insinuating drug use is critiquing?
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #689
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSF22 View Post
ran all the way from mexico thru the usa to the olympics. amirite?
Old 08-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #690
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,306 Times in 5,629 Posts
a problem I have with Canadian press, and even some of the athletes is that we are all apologists/pussies, and too afraid to actually critisize athletes

if you are a "gold medal favorite" and you dont even medal, you choked plain and simple.

The womens soccer game, if all the stories are true, rules are rules and you got caught on a legit rule whether you like it or not

i'm kinda sick of Canada being this pussified country of athletes outside of Hockey, do we really have any of these big-time cutthroat no mercy athletes like other countries do?

i know it's hard to compete with the states etc. but the Level of athlete they produce is a few notches above even our most elite

outside of people like phelps, etc. a prime example of this happened in 2010 with Shawn White, there was so much build up to his run and personally i had never really seen him in action outside of the X-games etc. but every single person built it up to be Shawn White VS the world, so as i watched I was like meh.. ok we'll see..

then he proceeded to come out and absolutely dominate with little effort

id like Canada to produce this upper echelon stars someday outside of the rink.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #691

^they have 10x more ppl and 10x more funding so they shid have 10x more medals. but i agree attitude wise we are all about the participation ribbon while the world wants a medal or theyre disappointed. thats y khazakstan has a shitload of gold
Old 08-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #692
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

We value healthcare more...i kid i kid...

Some of those elite athletes also change citizenship...
Also, it was not long ago when they started adding extra money to winners if im not mistaken
JesseBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #693
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
So the guy wants to celebrate all of his heritage...so what? Why is this a big deal?

And Bolt hasn't hurt shit. That guy fucking rules.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2012, 04:39 PM   #694
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 4,282 Times in 587 Posts
Bolt doesn't care what people think. He can back his shit up
her: why are all guys asking the same f**king question?
me: i uno.... so can I tap that
her: stfu you got a gf
me: tap together?

no reply...
cliffhanger33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #695
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,600 Times in 542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
17 medals, is there a chance at beating 2008's numbers? If so, even though it seems low, it's a pretty good # and best since Atlanta!
I can't believe we won 44 medals in 1984
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #696

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
I can't believe we won 44 medals in 1984
That was because USSR and all the commie countries weren't there
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #697
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Is it just me or the majority of canadian olympians are from BC?

I think ive only seen a couple events in which the CAD competitors are from the east coast of those mostly being from Quebec
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #698
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
Jest - Olympic Commentators are Dicks | Funny Video

Olympic Commentators are dicks
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #699
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDuang View Post
NBC Olympic Commentators are dicks
Cr33pUh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:29 AM   #700
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,761 Times in 903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkrussian View Post
^they have 10x more ppl and 10x more funding so they shid have 10x more medals. but i agree attitude wise we are all about the participation ribbon while the world wants a medal or theyre disappointed. thats y khazakstan has a shitload of gold
Well they have 6 which is still 5 more than us I suppose. Aren't 2 or 3 of Khazakstan's Gold Medals from people who were from and competed for China in the past but now jumped ship?

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote