REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #776
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingMetro92 View Post

What defines a "true" basketball fan anyways? I feel like I'm getting ripped for that rather than my original argument which is that the US should have won by more with the talent they had compared to Spain if they're a "Dream Team". I'll watch games that are on TV (which is basically Raptors, and games on ABC/ESPN), and go through all the highlight packs that show up at night/when I'm eating breakfast. But I won't go out of my way to get NBA TV or watch every game of every team.
You are getting ripped because you believe that the "mericans to STEAMROLL their opposition when in reality, International Basketball has come a long way since the 90s. All the international presence in the NBA should be the first sign of this. Almost every team in this tourney had NBA representation.

Your claim to watch NBA highlights is odd because theScore does an amazing job with the NBA and they continue to highlight international presence on that channel by stating things like Ibaka of SPAIN, or the Argentinian Ginobli is on fire.
Advertisement
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2012, 10:19 PM   #777
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

I watch USA basketball and olympics basketball to see the players play. How often would you see KB/KD/LBJ in the same team? How often do you see KB/Gasol play against each other? Ibaka vs 3 of his own teammates?

Saying that the USA basketball team has the best players in the team, so what's the point of watching sounds absurd. Metro's claim doesn't make sense to me. Why watch Usain Bolt when he is the fastest sprinter? And much faster than everyone else?

I have to admit though. Other than Kevin Love, I didn't see others play their best or give the best efforts throughout the tournament. I also liked seeing Pau Gasol doing his thing without Kobe dictating the plays in the same team.
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #778
I STILL don't get it

^ pretty much sums up what I wanted to say as well, its a rare time to see all these talented players on the same team, I mean when else will Carmelo be coming off the bench or be the 5th option to shoot the ball. While I don't follow basketball as closely as I used to but to think USA was going to show up and brute force a gold medal imo is kinda absurd. The beauty of a 1 and done tournament is anything can happen, and Spain for damn sure definitely has the talent to pull off a W. I mean shit Australia was down by 3 vs USA in the early 3rd Q of round 1, Lithuania took them to the wire and lost by like 5?
Just because a team is full of all stars doesn't mean they will mesh together perfectly, especially in a 1 and down tournament.
GrapeDrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:43 PM   #779
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
In regards to BB I was expecting/hoping for Spain to win and they gave a great performance

I was also expecting the Dream Team to give it their all through the olympics to try and put their money where Kobes mouth is so to speak to show all the naysayers that they are better than the dream team but as expected they aren't That team.

iirc even Assitant Coach Nate McMillan basically said "nope they aren't"

Missed the closing ceremonies luckily it looks like NBC is going to repeat it later on in the AM
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:46 PM   #780
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
In regards to BB I was expecting/hoping for Spain to win and they gave a great performance

I was also expecting the Dream Team to give it their all through the olympics to try and put their money where their mouth is so to speak to show all the naysayers that they are better than the dream team but as expected they aren't That team.

iirc even Assitant Coach Nate McMillan basically said "nope they aren't"

Missed the closing ceremonies luckily it looks like NBC is going to repeat it later on in the AM
McMillan is right, they are not
the Dream Team in 92 was more than just a bunch of superstars, it was a collective of players with the same ideology on a team sport, something USA Basketball said if you join, you must stay.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2012, 10:46 PM   #781
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 432 Posts
if you're not into british music, the closing ceremony is a snooze fest
dachinesedude is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2012, 10:59 PM   #782
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachinesedude View Post
if you're not into british music, the closing ceremony is a snooze fest
if you were into great music, Jessie J ruined the show

If ya wanna greet some of the olympians coming home, Christine Sinclair will arrive at YVR around noon
Old 08-13-2012, 02:40 AM   #783
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Great Closing Ceremonies. Perhaps I'm getting old, but the 90s pop artist that brought back nostalgia was great.

I just finished watching the Gold's Basketball match up and all I can say is that it was a great game. Spain had a great game plan and kept up with Team USA. Both coaches were great with the game plans and match ups. What I don't like is the dirty plays that Spain does (and actually pro teams outside of the USA) to get into the opponents heads. However, Team USA had great composure to combat Spain's tactics.

For those comparing Team USA 2012 vs the Dream Team. Sheesh, it's not even close. Of course the Dream Team is better. For heaven's sake, you got a top 5 player for that position of ALL Time in every position in the Dream Team. Plus, they played well together.

Also, basketball is a team game. Just because Team USA has an all-world team, does not take away that other players in the other teams are good. It's a team game for heaven's sake. Plus, with your country's name on your chest, that's also a factor for players elevating their game. Look at Athens, Only Allen Iverson and Tim Duncan put their heart and soul in the Team USA 2004 squad. That's why they got bronze.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:26 AM   #784
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthchilli View Post
if you were into great music, Jessie J ruined the show
she was lookin' good in her outfit. but what ruined it for me was when she was air guitaring on her knees during we will rock you. was kind of expecting spice girls to perform longer...seemed like posh didn't even want to be near the other girls

dam ginger is still lookin' fine

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:30 AM   #785
My homepage has been set to RS

"the olympics brought together 10,000 athletes to one place. but they still couldnt get the galagher brothers together to do one song"

regardless, spice girls followed by wonderwall was pretty epic...pretty sure ull never see that anywhere else other than an olympics at london
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:35 AM   #786
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,317 Times in 5,637 Posts
Where we're the stones, Elton John, Zepelin, etc
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #787
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Freddie Mercury Hologram with Brian May and Roger Taylor playing We Will Rock You would have been JUST FINE..
or that big projection...

give this article a read

Quote:
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/oly...3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

The closing ceremony of the 2012 Olympics paid powerful testimony to the most important British musician of all time... Jessie J.
Well, apparently that's what the director, Stephen Daldry, believes, since he not only had the provincially popular songstress singing the Bee Gees' "You Should Be Dancin'" but also reappearing at the big finale to belt out "We Will Rock You." There is no cold shower quite like the one that occurs when the surprise lead singer for a climactic Queen reunion turns out to be Jessie J.
[ Related: Spice Girls stand out at Closing Ceremonies ]
Daldry (whose most recent film was the dud Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close) was probably never destined to win the kudos for his musical tastes that the opening ceremony's director, Danny Boyle, did. But his presentation was still greeted with an unexpected degree of virulence in the Twitter-verse, as the artsier first half of the ceremony gave way to an apparently random assortment of once or currently popular British musicians.
By the time Annie Lennox entered the stadium on the mast of a full-sized, moving ship, it became apparent that this was less the art project that Boyle had given us two weeks ago than the Brit-pop equivalent of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Victoria Beckham motors away from the other Spice Girls (Getty Images)
The most eagerly anticipated part of the show, the Spice Girls' reunion, seemed hurried and almost squeezed in. The five Girls arrived on stage in separate taxis, got off just long enough for an abridged photo-op version of "Wanna-Be," then sat astride their cabs' tops again to ride around the stadium again to the tune of "Spice Up Your Life." There was no interaction to speak of, between the five. They agreed to reunite, but they apparently never agreed to perform together.
At least Roger Waters and David Gilmour were never seriously on the rumor list, so there was no great disappointment when Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" was strummed and sung by young British hotshot Ed Sheehan. The song did benefit from the presence of Nick Mason as drummer, and from a tightrope artist who recreated the cover handshake (and inflammation) from Wish You Were Here at the end.
It was not an altogether legends-free telecast. For rock fans, the show reached its real climax about a half-hour in when Ray Davies emerged to sing the loveliest ode London ever inspired, "Waterloo Sunset." And he wasn't even lip-synching. Hearing 80,000 people sing the recurring "Sha la la" made one of rock's loneliest ballads a globally communal experience its writer could never have imagined as he sullenly looked out his window all those decades ago.
And after a tease when the Kaiser Chiefs did an admirable, yet disappointing Who-less rendition of "Pinball Wizard," Roger Daltry and Pete Townshend did show up to rock some classics from The Who to close out the set. Even if it resembled their thrown-together Super Bowl best-of montage, it was a moment when actual British rock stars showed up to, well, rock.
The musical performances were essentially split into two halves—the first, and best, being a conceptual tribute to a day in the life of London. Madness performed "Our House," and what was once a slightly ironic tribute to middle class life became, not unreasonably, a wholly celebrative sing-along and ode to universality.

Pet Shop Boys (Getty Images)
After a brief bit of Blur, the Pet Shop Boys revived "West End Girls," and the regional theme fit, even if the costuming didn't. They and their dancers wore black or orange conical hats, suggesting nothing so much as the Great Pumpkin making his mark at a KKK rally.
One Direction were the odd men out in this opening portion, lip-synching "What Makes You Beautiful" for no apparent thematic reason other than to keep the younger set tuned in between the opening rounds of '60s-'80s nostalgia-appeal rockers.
Kate Bush was another rumored veteran who proved a no-show, though a recorded version of "Running Up That Hill" proved a highlight, as dancers moved 303 white blocks (in honor of 303 Olympic events) up the stage inclines to finally form a pyramid, barely skirting a copyright infringement on Roger Waters' Wall staging.
The second portion of the musical entertainment began with George Michael wailing his solipsistic ode to setting himself free from Wham!, "Freedom." We're in the 2010s now, and Michael's greatest signature song and would-be anthem for an Olympic generation is still his kiss-off to Andrew Ridgeley. On a night of garish costumes, anyway, his huge silver skull belt buckle still stood out as a particularly curious fashion choice.
Speaking of fashion, a recorded David Bowie medley, played over a montage of his various guises over the years, led viewers to believe that an actual Bowie live appearance—a true rarity for the now-reclusive superstar—might be the surprise Daldry had to pull out of his hat. But no—it was just a lead-in to the playing of Bowie's "Fashion," which provided the soundtrack for a salute to British models, including Kate Moss and (on double duty) Victoria Beckham, who did the catwalk thing, to considerable puzzlement.
Nothing says "entertainment equivalent of great Olympian feats" like Kate Moss strutting. Unless it's Fat Boy Slim doing a hand-synching routine, during which he pretended to twiddle some knobs for a couple of even more inexplicable minutes.

Russell Brand (Getty Images)
Neither of these was a low point, strangely enough. That would be Russell Brand covering the Beatles' "I Am the Walrus"... following a brief snippet of "Pure Imagination," which would surely have Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory director Mel Stuart spinning in his grave, if he hadn't just died two days ago and the funeral had already occurred. Brand seems to be at the nadir of his popularity in the States, but Daldry seemed to think there would be no one better to pay homage to John Lennon.
And then it was time for A Salute to Jessie J, who appeared in a semi-nude bodysuit, as a giant lighted octopus emerged from center stage—surely, given the English nature of the night, an homage to British author Ian Fleming's Octopussy? As Taio Cruz joined her, barely bothering to lip-synch, for his signature "Dynamite," it became altogether evident there would be no popular artist Daldry would deem unworthy of Olympic status... even if a lot of them had apparently turned him down.
Noel Gallagher was also not in the building as brother Liam sang "Wonderwall" under the band name of "Beady Eye"—a caption that probably made a few viewers think the Oasis classic was being performed by a sub-Kaiser Chiefs cover band.

Eric Idle and angels (Getty Images)
Having Eric Idle sing "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life," from Life of Brian—complete with S-word!—probably seemed like a good idea at the time, even if the comedy wore off halfway through the extended version and we were left with a song about the inevitability of death as a probably unintentionally ironic Olympic theme.
Not so extended was Muse's abridged version of the official Olympics rock song, "Survival," the inevitable begrudging appearance of which was kind of like one of those American Idol coronation songs that everyone instantly hated but has to show up anyhow. Diving onto his knees like a true rock god as fireworks went off around him, singer Matt Bellamy did his best to pretend that he wasn't already embarrassed by this song that he will never live down, or that his guitar histrionics didn't seem shameful in comparison to the guy who'd be supplanting him in mere moments, Brian May.
May's guitar solo briefly lent the proceedings a Live Aid-style moment of occasion. And then the surprise Queen singer was Jessie J... or "[expletive] Jessie J," as she was coming to be known on Twitter, at least on this less favorable side of the pond.
Could there be any more indignities left in this salute to British rock? Yes! At ceremony's end, the baton was officially handed to 2016 Olympics host Brazil, and, against all odds and common sensibility, Duran Duran did not come out and perform "Rio." But at least the Brazilian troupe that did perform before The Who managed to bar Jessie J from taking the stage
Old 08-13-2012, 09:16 AM   #788
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
I guess I'll have to watch it for myself, but I have no clue who the fuck "Jessie J" is. Hoping for a big fucking trainwreck now, considering all the complaints
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:32 AM   #789
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
The closing ceremony was a "meh" for me.

It was cool to see some of the bands come in and rock out for the home country...hell, even if we had to re-animate the dead, replace the dead or just full on go without the dead.

My thoughts...if you can't pull something together that resembles the original band, then don't. I know, people come and go but Jessie J is NOT going to cut it in a big finish of Queen.

More thoughts. Hey, was there a band called the beatles, and did they hail from London? Cause if I watched the olympics, I'd have NO idea. Cool, Paul sings at the opening ceremony. Awesome. Cool, Paul is in the audience for a few of the events...which the camera guy focused on once every 5 minutes(thats broadcast, not the committee, but still) Oh, Paul is leading the audience in a singing of Hey Jude...ok. Oh, a full on tribute in the closing ceremony, including reanimating Lennon in foam blocks.

I really liked Annie Lennox's performance.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #790
degenerate extraordinaire

how come Take That wasn't mentioned in the thread yet? now that is truly nostalgic!

not saying beady eye (aka. Oasis without Noel), or spice girls aren't anything nostalgia worthy.

IMO the rap parts pretty much ruined the ceremony
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #791
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikkaku View Post
how come Take That wasn't mentioned in the thread yet? now that is truly nostalgic!

not saying beady eye (aka. Oasis without Noel), or spice girls aren't anything nostalgia worthy.

now all the ppl who dont know will think Wonderwall was performed by some band named the Beady Eye
Old 08-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #792

i've heard of jessie j just never seen her before. i think 1 or 2 of her songs made it to mainstream north america. but i was kind of like wtf so much of her she cant be THAT big in the UK can she? then i see taio cruz i'm like is he british??? lol

Quote:
Greenstoner
originalhypa
Quote:

Old 08-13-2012, 10:54 AM   #793
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikkaku View Post

Yeah, I know Noel left Oasis, but I haven't been paying attention to Oasis much this decade. I had to look up Beady Eye. It looked like Oasis, but not quite.

It would have been pretty cool if Robbie Williams joined the rest of Take That for the ceremonies.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #794

Quote:
Originally Posted by will068 View Post
Yeah, I know Noel left Oasis, but I haven't been paying attention to Oasis much this decade. I had to look up Beady Eye. It looked like Oasis, but not quite.

It would have been pretty cool if Robbie Williams joined the rest of Take That for the ceremonies.
i had to google beady eye too...i was listening and looking and i'm like oasis! then the tv prompted beady eye and i'm like plus no noel...

i was hoping robbie williams would be there too.

Quote:
Greenstoner
originalhypa
Quote:

Old 08-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #795
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,320 Times in 331 Posts
"In June 2012 it was confirmed that after continued speculation, Take That will perform at the closing ceremony of the London Olympic Games as a five piece although Robbie later dropped out of it as his wife is due to give birth around the same time."

According to wikipedia
RacePace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #796

I like Jessie J got her cd

didn't think she would be @ the closing ceremonies though let alone a number of performances
Old 08-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #797
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,320 Times in 331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
I like Jessie J got her cd

didn't think she would be @ the closing ceremonies though let alone a number of performances
That's two wrongs, Jessie J........and you bought her album on CD?
RacePace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #798

the pokerface was meant to insinuate i downloaded it for free but yeah far too vague didnt like it enough to keep it/buy it mind you
Old 08-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #799
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

id be OK if she didnt perform with Queen. Like I said, a Freddie Mercury either in Hologram or that giant projection beforehand would have been just fine

as for the beatles... dont you think it be odd if Ringo and McCartney were joined by holograms with Lennon and Harrison..
i just think it owuld be
Old 08-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #800
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Hmm, apparently Christine Sinclair is my neighbor or at least her parents are..

Party next door with a banner that says "Congratulations Christine and the Canadian's women's team". Dad said TV crews were over yesterday.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's Christine. They just posed with her medal, LOL
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.

Last edited by Razor Ramon HG; 08-13-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote