REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   The John Norwich Riders Corner (https://www.revscene.net/forums/john-norwich-riders-corner_45/)
-   -   The maybe official quick motorcycle question/news not worthy of a new thread, thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/672728-maybe-official-quick-motorcycle-question-news-not-worthy-new-thread-thread.html)

320icar 09-23-2014 09:24 PM

In other news; a bit pricey but I like!

1972 Honda cb500 k2 four restored cafe racer vintage cb 500

604STIG 09-24-2014 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320icar (Post 8533491)
In other news; a bit pricey but I like!

1972 Honda cb500 k2 four restored cafe racer vintage cb 500

This posting has been flagged for removal.

xyz123 09-24-2014 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inaii (Post 8533073)
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question (or if it's been asked before, sorry if it has) but can anyone explain why I'm being warned off of getting a 125cc as a starter bike? I understand they may not be very fun, but I was under the impression that starting on a low cc bike was the best way to begin to ride?

I haven't gone near a bike (pedal) since I was 10 years old because of a really bad accident and I'm absolutely terrified of riding on the back of one (motorcycle) because I won't be in control. I thought a 125 would be a good way to overcome my fear of 2 wheels since I want to ride. Am I making the wrong decision by judging that a 125 would be the best place to start for me? If anyone has any insight or experience, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Personally if I was in your situation and serious about getting into this I would do the following:

Do proper research on types of motorcycles and motorcycle gear (you can thank Google for this)

Go to a very knowledgeable motorcycle school that can answer your questions you have acquired while researching on your own. (PRS is where I went; Pacific Riding School |)

After developing some foundations and purchasing motorcycle gear, purchase a motorcycle you believe you can handle at the time, whether it is a 125, 250, 600, trust in yourself and trust in the limitation of the motorcycle because it's just going to be you and it against the world

Ride as much as possible, practice makes perfect. Putting yourself in scenarios where you can reflect upon your mistakes and your achievements is how you overcome your fear and gain confidence. But most importantly, Self reflection.

MORE SCHOOL!!! (Take advanced classes if you feel you want more)

Also, keep into consideration that when you do your Motorcycle Road Test it has to be 250cc or more, if you do the test with a 125cc you will now have a restriction. (This is where PRS may help you in a sense where you can buy yourself a 125cc and borrow their 250cc for the Road Test)

dn53 09-24-2014 06:12 PM

I think you should get into a riding school before you decide to buy the bike. they stick you on a 250 sherpa or ninja and then you can get a feel for the bike and what you're comfortable with.

Personally I bought a Ninja 250R and then took the course, some saying I would regret it/its way too slow but I definitely did not. I enjoyed every bit of it, and it was alot cheaper to insure compared to my F4i. If it wasn't totalled by some idiot i'd still be riding it!

bananana 09-24-2014 07:40 PM

^ This here is the answer. Do riding school. You'll get a chance to ride both 125s and 250s. You can make an informed decision afterward.

Personally I feel like anything 250 and under is too small of a bike for most situations outside of city riding. Except for thumpers and 2-strokes of course :)

DSHDSH 09-24-2014 09:03 PM

IIRC the 125s and 250s at PRS have power limits, so even then you wont be getting the full experience.

Noir 09-24-2014 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bananana (Post 8533969)
^ This here is the answer. Do riding school. You'll get a chance to ride both 125s and 250s. You can make an informed decision afterward.

Personally I feel like anything 250 and under is too small of a bike for most situations outside of city riding. Except for thumpers and 2-strokes of course :)

Absolutely correct but considering that she's dealing with fears and perhaps some lingering trauma due to an accident (which I'm not going to push for details), I'm gonna make an educated guess that outside city riding, highways, or distance riding is thinking wayyyyyyy too far ahead for this particular rider.

Ditto though on riding school.

I think a lot of people are also forgetting that one of the biggest draw on 125's aren't just their ease in use; but also the cost. Bear in mind, riding is still just a hobby to many, and rarely is it ever anyone's primary vehicle, or primary mode of transportation.

So... there may be some discrepancy between what one is willing to spend for in the sport vs someone else. Honestly, since some CBR 125's are dipping around $1500 - $1800, they make for some pretty interesting toys. I have friends who have even spent more than that on bicycles :)

320icar 09-24-2014 09:43 PM

i just really like this bike. worth posting a pic.

http://blog-imgs-55.fc2.com/y/e/l/ye...8194336f77.jpg

Raid3n 09-24-2014 10:52 PM

my bike is my daily haha. i've put 12k on it since the end of march

320icar 09-25-2014 10:27 PM

Any idea where the cheapest place locally is to pick up a fuel petcock? The
Level has always been broken on mine but it's leaking now.

dn53 09-26-2014 07:07 AM

Put on a new cam chain tensioner on my f4i..fun times were had :whistle: LOL. I opted not to take off the valve cover and throttle body since I didn't want to buy a new gasket and seals. It was so frustrating because everything you need to do is basically in front of you but the amount of space you have to work with is ridiculous as it is tucked away behind the frame. Make sure you use a magnet.. Had to go back to work to grab one. Good news is no more rattling noise at 5k rpm!

radioman 09-26-2014 09:58 AM

Holy fuck I've never been so pumped up for a car/motorcycle reveal like I am for this.....

vexor 09-26-2014 10:40 AM

Jeez, spoilers on a motorcycle. How F***ing fast is this thing going to be? And how expensive as well by the looks of all that CF

radioman 09-26-2014 11:38 AM

I'm guessing its going to be HP4 Panigale S type money? They all sold out so there is a market for it.

Noir 09-26-2014 04:56 PM

Am I the only one not liking their (Kawasaki's) marketing campaign of not showing what they're hyping?

Feels like they don't know what it's going to look like either, or they don't even have a working bike ready yet, but they're already jumping the gun on marketing/selling it to you.

Raid3n 09-26-2014 09:57 PM

lol, if it's sold out and hasn't even been revealed yet, i'd say it's working lol

bananana 09-26-2014 11:25 PM

Also they're using the namesake from the H2... one of the most badass bikes of the early to mid 70s. Triple two-stroke pulling 75~ HP with a tiny spaghetti frame and even punier front forks. In the vintage racer scene you regularly see heavily modified bikes pushing 130hp. Its the kind of bike that wheelies through the first 4 gears!

Too bad the new one's not a triple. But hey you can't really complain about that ridiculous sounding SC. I'm hoping this bike is as innovative as its predecessor!

BTW, I just watched that video... was that a fucking canard???? :eek2:

bananana 09-29-2014 08:34 AM

http://i.imgur.com/T9c4B2a.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/T9c4B2a.jpg <-- (added a link as its not loading for me)

Apparent spyshot. No source.

CharlieH 09-29-2014 09:03 AM

... nevermind i dont want it anymore

radioman 09-29-2014 09:33 AM

oh well..... um..... interesting........

zilley 09-29-2014 02:46 PM

I want it.

radioman 09-29-2014 03:48 PM

Passed class 6 woot woot

ALSO:
http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/the...ium=socialflow

CharlieH 09-29-2014 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zilley (Post 8536087)
I want it.

ricer

bcrdukes 09-29-2014 05:51 PM

I thought of Top Gun for some reason.

320icar 09-29-2014 09:28 PM

i know there are a few honda grom owners on here, quick questions

- did you guys keep them stock or modify them
- out of the box, do you think its safe enough for around town (including all bridges)
- do you ever regret the purchase?
- are they as fun as everyone says?

i see at holeshot they are down to $2999 for a 2014 model. with a price tag like that its so tempting to look at picking up an end of the season sale bike. i LOVED modding my little ruckus, and it seems the same sort of aftermarket scene is also abundant here. im just a little worried if having a 100cc kawasaki and a 125cc grom would just be too slow of a group. i'd like to be able to ride with my gf and her gsxr400